Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Brents to IR

John Waylon

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Flowers was integral to ST teams last year.

Good heavens... 

Flowers played a total of 28 STs snaps last year, in four games; no more than 8 in any one game. He was playing starters snaps on defense, and sparingly on STs.

Last year, Lammons played 56 STs snaps in three games, so twice as many, with a high of 21. And he just played 22 this week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Good heavens... 

Flowers played a total of 28 STs snaps last year, in four games; no more than 8 in any one game. He was playing starters snaps on defense, and sparingly on STs.

Last year, Lammons played 56 STs snaps in three games, so twice as many, with a high of 21. And he just played 22 this week.

I corrected it because I realized he got hurt 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

We're going to play zone defense with cushions on the outside, and we're going to give up short completions at a high rate. This is written in the sacred texts. 

What really matters for this defense is a) reliable pass rush, and b) whether the players in the secondary handle their assignments properly. I think the pass rush was really good, and if the Texans tried to rely on the passing game more, I think our pass rush would have been an even bigger factor. I don't think the passing defense was let off the hook at all, I think they got challenged plenty, and for the most part, they held up okay. And if y'all are being honest, you'll admit that the prevailing expectation heading into the game was that CJ Stroud was going to take our pass defense apart just like he did in Week 18 last year. 

I don't mean to get too into the weeds here. I don't know how the pass defense will respond to this loss. But I don't view it as completely devastating to our prospects this season. Brents is a young corner who has some talent and ability, but as we saw on Sunday, he also gives up big plays at times. I think the defense can weather this loss, especially since the the motor of the defense is, by design, the pass rush.

Bradley was interviewed and said they were more set to defend the pass not the rush So our scheme was geared toward the pass and we got caught and we didn’t adjust I would say that having our pass rush d linemen getting more reps showed our hand and triggered the switch to run plays by the Texans coaching staff 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I corrected it because I realized he got hurt 

So two years ago, he played STs. Last year, he was clearly playing starters snaps, and not a major STs contributor. And then Sunday, they dressed Lammons and used him exclusively on STs, which is basically the same thing they did with him last season.

So how is your initial claim relevant? Isn't it obvious that the Colts used Lammons instead of Flowers on Sunday because they wanted him for STs? And not because they viewed him as a better option at outside corner, as you initially implied?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Bradley was interviewed and said they were more set to defend the pass not the rush So our scheme was geared toward the pass and we got caught and we didn’t adjust I would say that having our pass rush d linemen getting more reps showed our hand and triggered the switch to run plays by the Texans coaching staff 

So the four sacks and 14 pressure had nothing to do with it, huh? 

Yes, the Texans ran on us because they could, but let's not act like the pass defense didn't hold up reasonably well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not anyone’s fault he is hurt. That is correct. But it’s the GM fault for not planning correctly. Especially when he hasn’t stayed healthy and Flowers was coming off a major injury.

I guess I don't understand  the roll of a NFL GM. Is it that much different then a GM in the corporate world? Some on here seem to expect an NFL GM to be a dictator. I would imagine that his main job is to manage and work with the staff and support the staff in their needs and decisions. Some make it sound like he makes 100 % of the player personel in a vacuum with no input from the staff. It is my assumption that our head coach and DC had input on the defensive personel both in the defensive line and in the defensive backfield. Some act like he makes decisions on the starting loneuo. Surprised some aren't blaming CB for the new playing field the everyone was slipping on Sunday. It does get old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

I guess I don't understand  the roll of a NFL GM. Is it that much different then a GM in the corporate world? Some on here seem to expect an NFL GM to be a dictator. I would imagine that his main job is to manage and work with the staff and support the staff in their needs and decisions. Some make it sound like he makes 100 % of the player personel in a vacuum with no input from the staff. It is my assumption that our head coach and DC had input on the defensive personel both in the defensive line and in the defensive backfield. Some act like he makes decisions on the starting loneuo. Surprised some aren't blaming CB for the new playing field the everyone was slipping on Sunday. It does get old.

Stop making sense

talking heads GIF

this has been my concern and complaint all year... Ballard did nothing to add to the secondary during free agency Nor the Draft ... we could have easily traded back into the second and grabbed Cooper ( possibly the best all around back in the draft) but NO... we could have added experienced help after the draft ... Simmons was a pro bowler... then they talked  about the ball hawk ( Abrams ) and cut him and still yet today he isn't brought back... Ballard's seat should be HOT as well as Bradley's ... never been a fan of Bradley and his scheme... it worked in Seattle but he had HOF in his secondary and that makes a Huge difference... have Lost my appetite for Ballard... he wants to over pay a Kicker ( who isn't that great ) and yet ignores the much needed secondary... his Cocky arrogance will keep this team from ever getting to the SB... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Some of the responses to this are embarrassing........it's like some people enjoy something happening to a player in the secondary so they can beat their off season narrative!

I can't speak for anybody else.  But I think you're confusing vindication of an expressed fear coming true with enjoyment of it.

I never enjoyed seeing Matt Pryor stink up the world at LT.  It gave me a pit in my stomach.  I desperately wanted us to have a player who was capable of playing LT...especially considering we had an aging pocket passer at QB.  And it was frustrating as hell that Ballard & the FO thought differently, that Pryor was up to the task.  When it became evident that my fears were being realized, I took zero joy in saying "See?"

It's awful that JuJu is hurt.  That pit in my stomach is back.

And, yes, I'm extremely angry at Chris Ballard for not being better prepared for something like this happening.  He had opportunities to do it....and he refused to.  And now his range of options is more limited.  Flowers is coming off an Achilles -- and, while I realize that it's healed, it's not uncommon for players to need a year or more before they're back at full speed.

And, dang it, this was evident in the pre-season with Dallis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Some make it sound like he makes 100 % of the player personel in a vacuum with no input from the staff. 

I haven't seen anybody suggest that CB -- or any other NFL GM -- makes personnel decisions without any input from the rest of the staff.  If somebody has suggested that, who is it and what did they say?

Of course GMs solicit input from both their FO staff (scouts, etal) and the coaching staff.  But a GM has the ultimate decision-making authority -- except, I suppose, in instances where he may get overruled by the owner (but I would imagine that's rare).

None of us knows what Steichen and/or Bradley has said to Ballard about the secondary.  And we never will.  But I would be shocked to learn that one or both of them hadn't expressed concerns to him about the state of the defensive backfield.  Look at how long it took for Bradley to name Nick Cross as a starter.  Doesn't that speak volumes?

And we also know that an anonymous opposing head coach was happily surprised that Ballard decided not to make any moves to acquire Simmons and/or Diggs.  I forget which podcaster relayed that story.  But I can't say that I found it surprising.

5 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

If Flowers plays well and Ballard finds some more depth until (hopefully), Brents comes back for the playoffs, we’ll be fine.

I know that sounds optimistic but that’s just me. Why assume the worst?

I hope Flowers does play well.  He looked pretty good last year until he got hurt.

But Achilles injuries are pretty notorious for continuing to cause issues for players for a year or so after being medically cleared to play.  By most accounts, Flowers did not have a great off-season.  If that's right, it's pretty likely due to these lingering issues that Achilles' injuries are known to cause.

Dang. I hate this for JuJu. Local kid who grew up a Colts fan. I really want him to become the guy. I hope he recovers quickly.

The Womack signing is going to matter a lot more now. 

We just have to hope our dline destroys the QBs before they can throw the ball. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I can't speak for anybody else.  But I think you're confusing vindication of an expressed fear coming true with enjoyment of it.

I never enjoyed seeing Matt Pryor stink up the world at LT.  It gave me a pit in my stomach.  I desperately wanted us to have a player who was capable of playing LT...especially considering we had an aging pocket passer at QB.  And it was frustrating as hell that Ballard & the FO thought differently, that Pryor was up to the task.  When it became evident that my fears were being realized, I took zero joy in saying "See?"

It's awful that JuJu is hurt.  That pit in my stomach is back.

And, yes, I'm extremely angry at Chris Ballard for not being better prepared for something like this happening.  He had opportunities to do it....and he refused to.  And now his range of options is more limited.  Flowers is coming off an Achilles -- and, while I realize that it's healed, it's not uncommon for players to need a year or more before they're back at full speed.

And, dang it, this was evident in the pre-season with Dallis.

"Vindication of an expressed fear coming true" sounds rather like a protracted way to say "smug"........I'm not sure I was confused tbh, this issue with Brents getting injured has just been hijacked by the "secondary sucked last season" troupe.....I'm on the fence with Ballard personally but most people who dislike him will always jump on the "I told you so narrative" but won't admit when Ballard has proved them wrong with something,  they just cherry pick the self affirming stories.

• Like 1

I would think Womack starts on the boundary he is a much better boundary then slot as his grades indicate though built more like a slot. Lammons will now back up Kenny and Flowers will be back up boundary. David Long may be elevated soon, brings experience and has been here 8 days adjusting and getting up to speed.

I think we need to cut bait with Rodney Thomas and bring back Ronnie Harrison, thomas barely saw the field last week.

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

I would think Womack starts on the boundary he is a much better boundary then slot as his grades indicate though built more like a slot. Lammons will now back up Kenny and Flowers will be back up boundary. David Long may be elevated soon, brings experience and has been here 8 days adjusting and getting up to speed.

I think we need to cut bait with Rodney Thomas and bring back Ronnie Harrison, thomas barely saw the field last week.

I forgot about that Long kid. I said when that happened it could end up being a good signing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

"Vindication of an expressed fear coming true" sounds rather like a protracted way to say "smug"........I'm not sure I was confused tbh, this issue with Brents getting injured has just been hijacked by the "secondary sucked last season" troupe.....I'm on the fence with Ballard personally but most people who dislike him will always jump on the "I told you so narrative" but won't admit when Ballard has proved them wrong with something,  they just cherry pick the self affirming stories.

The issue is Ballard is predictable. This has  going on pretty much since he has been here. Fans can see it a mile away every offseason.

9 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Dang. I hate this for JuJu. Local kid who grew up a Colts fan. I really want him to become the guy. I hope he recovers quickly.

The Womack signing is going to matter a lot more now. 

We just have to hope our dline destroys the QBs before they can throw the ball. 

The good thing I  think is the front seven is going to be more important this week then the secondary. I have faith they will rebound this week. Seems Sunday was just how they approached it.

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I hope Flowers does play well.  He looked pretty good last year until he got hurt.

But Achilles injuries are pretty notorious for continuing to cause issues for players for a year or so after being medically cleared to play.  By most accounts, Flowers did not have a great off-season.  If that's right, it's pretty likely due to these lingering issues that Achilles' injuries are known to cause.

I do think we have to remember he actually healed fast from that Achilles. Came back in record time. So hopefully he is getting the rust off.

36 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I get what you’re saying. Basically your saying that Bradley and Steichen were ok with not making any moves.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Like i have said numerous times. Ballard's construction of this defense is a fire able offense.  Eight years in  and the same results over and over. I have followed the Colts since Manning was  drafted in 1998 and it has been like 26 years of defensive futility. Over and over and over. For example, look what the Chiefs have built over in KC in a few short years. They have an elite qb and now have an elite defense. This is becoming a joke and I cannot wait for the Ballard apologists to weigh in. Every analyst and every fan saw corner as the primary concern going into the season  and Ballard's response  was to   " we need to let them play". Even if you agreed with him, you knew they needed another starter and quality depth based on last years injuries to the corners they brought back.  Like i have said. It doesn't matter what Richardson becomes. There is no way we are winning  a Super Bowl with Ballard in charge of  building this defense. He cannot assess defensive talent!  Enuff said!!

I wouldn't say he can't * defensive talent. What can be said is he is consistently a year or more late addressing issues. It's happened at important positions in QB and LT. It is now happening at CB, and I'll put money on safety at some point this year.

Ballard started an overhaul of the CB room after 2022 and in two offseasons he added 5 draft picks to the CB room and 1 at safety. The one safety hasn't made it out of training camp. Of the 5 corners,

2 didn't make anyones roster/practice squad, 1 is on our practice squad, 1 is out for the year after being injury prone last year, and the last one has a ceiling of covering opposing teams #2 receivers. That is not sufficient for building a playoff caliber defense. It's fair to say that the overhaul of the secondary was left incomplete, and is most likely going to be a waste of an effort. We really needed two offseasons of work to make it a good secondary. We should of lost guys we liked because other guys that we liked beat them for the roster spot in camp.

• Like 1

"Vindication of an expressed fear coming true" sounds rather like a protracted way to say "smug"

There's nothing smug about having a fear based on observations, expressing related reservations and criticisms, and then taking note when the criticisms go unheeded and the fears are realized.

Gobs of people -- Colts fans and media, other observers outside the building -- have been saying that Ballard was playing with fire with the secondary....that one key injury would put the team in a terrible predicament.  There were guys available, and he had money to spend.  But he didn't do it.

7 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

this issue with Brents getting injured has just been hijacked by the "secondary sucked last season" troupe

To me, the issue isn't so much last year as it was how evident it was that our roster was deficient coming into this year.  And the important context is that Ballard had the opportunity to address it and refused to.  It would be different if he was out of cap space or this just came out of nowhere with a series of ill-timed injuries or whatever.

But it's been a sitting duck.

10 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

most people who dislike him will always jump on the "I told you so narrative" but won't admit when Ballard has proved them wrong with something

I actually like Ballard and have generally been a proponent.  But he's so dang hard-headed about certain things.  He can't get out of his own way.  He's always trying to find unconventional solutions to conventional problems....when sometimes the answer is staring him straight in the face.

• Cut Vinny, he's done and misses too many important kicks.  No.
  • Replace Castonzo...he's giving you an entire year's notice he'll be retiring.  No.
  • Hot Rod is not an NFL kicker.  Sure he is.
  • Matt Pryor can't play LT in this league.  Yes he can.
  • Our secondary is young, thin, and injury prone....there are guys available and you have money.  No.

It seems like he's almost wired to be contrarian.  Why can some of these things be so obvious to everybody BUT our General Manager?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I get what you’re saying. Basically your saying that Bradley and Steichen were ok with not making any moves.

How would any of us know?  That may be the case.  But it may not be the case.

Either way, nobody with knowledge of what, if any, discussions were had among the people who matter is talking about it or is likely to do so.

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I kind of agree with Chloe about acquiring a proven CB rather than drafting one. Eight years in, Ballard hasn't drafted a single NFL cornerback who became a consistent NFL starter. 

Chloe is one of the few posters here that will hold Ballard accountable. 

The rest of the posters here act like Ballards Stepford wives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I do think we have to remember he actually healed fast from that Achilles. Came back in record time. So hopefully he is getting the rust off.

From your keyboard to God's ears, chloe.  I certainly hope that is the case.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But I'm just saying that guys coming back from Achilles' often start off somewhere less than 100% and take a good while to get their way back to 100%.  And it's hardly any secret that Flowers was not looking good at OTAs, camp, preseason games, etc.

So there are obvious reasons to be pessimistic about his ability to capably jump into a starting role.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Chloe is one of the few posters here that will hold Ballard accountable. 

The rest of the posters here act like Ballards Stepford wives.

Wasn’t going to comment until I seen your post.. I couldn’t agree more! Everything she is saying is correct and anyone commenting saying things about what she is saying needs to hop of Ballards lap. Some posters think they know everything and refuse to acknowledge what other posters say no matter what. Ballard should have added VET depth but refused to. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

From your keyboard to God's ears, chloe.  I certainly hope that is the case.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But I'm just saying that guys coming back from Achilles' often start off somewhere less than 100% and take a good while to get their way back to 100%.  And it's hardly any secret that Flowers was not looking good at OTAs, camp, preseason games, etc.

So there are obvious reasons to be pessimistic about his ability to capably jump into a starting role.

Now that I think about it had t even been one year since he injured it. He participated in all spring practices too. So.right about now is when most players come back from a Achilles.

Fans pay a lot of money going to games or merchandise. They also give a lot of their time following their favorite team. They deserve someone who is pro active and triers to  win instead of settling for average. 

I hate  Ballard is doing this. Because the consequences of a new GM are huge and we could be starting over again. We need this to work. Ballard is just to comfortable in his job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fans pay a lot of money going to games or merchandise. They also give a lot of their time following their favorite team. They deserve someone who is pro active and triers to  win instead of settling for average. 

I hate  Ballard is doing this. Because the consequences of a new GM are huge and we could be starting over again. We need this to work. Ballard is just to comfortable in his job.

I have to pay $300+ for the worst seats in Lucas oil stadium against the bears… insane lol

• Like 2

I think no matter what Ballard will be safe this year. Bradley will probably be the one gone. The young talent we acquired seems pretty good it just sucks Richardson had his injury last year and they didn’t feel comfortable going all in this season.

• Like 1

I think colts listed Lammons as the starting corner today. Don’t know if that will actually happen though.

Just now, Mikemccoy84 said:

I think no matter what Ballard will be safe this year. Bradley will probably be the one gone. The young talent we acquired seems pretty good it just sucks Richardson had his injury last year and they didn’t feel comfortable going all in this season.

I don’t think that is why they didn’t go all in.