Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not the reason we lost, just a question

jvan1973

So if the player is running forward, they only need to tap their toes in bounds.  If they are going backwards the entire foot needs to be inbounds? My question is why?  A wr catches a ball, taps his toes inbounds and is shoved out,  that's a catch.   If the player has his back to the sideline. Makes the catch,  one foot completely in, the second foot touches the toes in,  but the heal is out, no catch.  Seems dumb.   Also,  was I the only one that saw holding on almost every play by both olines and it wasn't called all day?

• Like 6

Holding was normal to me.  It happens on just about every play, but they only call it if it’s egregious.  Or if the ref has a bet on the game.  

As far as the toe tap, you’re right.  I never thought about it like that.   

Just guessing, and I did not see the play in question, but if the second heel comes down out of bounds in one continuous motion after the toe touch, it would be an out of bounds catch.  OTOH, if the second heel doesn't touch and the receiver tumbles out of bounds, its considered a catch.   Just spit balling.  

The toe tap works because they come down on their toes and then either move their foot or drag it for another step.  Had Brents done that today his INT would have been good but he tapped his toe and brought the heel down as the same step that’s why it was no good.  I don’t know if that makes sense on an internet message board or not.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Refs were ridiculous. That blatant attack on Richardson should’ve been a personal foul. 

Yeah that and the debacle at the end of the half (although it worked out for the Colts) were the only major issues I had with the refs today.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Refs were ridiculous. That blatant attack on Richardson should’ve been a personal foul. 

Seemed like some of the Texans were head hunting AR. That 15 yard scramble the defender launched himself towards his head luckily he was down already. That run towards  the end zone was a hit in the face mask and no call it was frustrating.

• Like 1

Just now, Two_pound said:

Yep, Texans should have been flagged three times for late hits or unnessasary roughness for hits on Richardson. The nfl says they "protect" the qb's, I guess not if there's a horseshoe on the helmet.

Seems like QBs built like Brady get those call more than if your built like Cam Newton or Big Ben. Example Love was getting those calls AR should’ve got today.

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Yep, Texans should have been flagged three times for late hits or unnessasary roughness for hits on Richardson. The nfl says they "protect" the qb's, I guess not if there's a horseshoe on the helmet.

Get used to it.  Once a QB becomes a RB, they don't get the same protection.  

No fan likes his QB getting roughed up but it comes with the territory with a running QB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Get used to it.  Once a QB becomes a RB, they don't get the same protection.  

No fan likes his QB getting roughed up but it comes with the territory with a running QB

Yeah but the body slam was a sack when he was clearly looking to throw as a QB.  That’s the very definition of unnecessary roughness regardless of position the fact it was a QB acting as a QB makes it more disturbing.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but the body slam was a sack when he was clearly looking to throw as a QB.  That’s the very definition of unnecessary roughness regardless of position the fact it was a QB acting as a QB makes it more disturbing.

I didn't like it any better than you but till AR establishes himself as a star, he is not getting those calls.  He did take a large step in the right direction today. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't like it any better than you but till AR establishes himself as a star, he is not getting those calls.  He did take a large step in the right direction today. 

Any player should get that call that has nothing to do with being a star.  The NFL throws that flag all the time.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So if the player is running forward, they only need to tap their toes in bounds.  If they are going backwards the entire foot needs to be inbounds? My question is why?  A wr catches a ball, taps his toes inbounds and is shoved out,  that's a catch.   If the player has his back to the sideline. Makes the catch,  one foot completely in, the second foot touches the toes in,  but the heal is out, no catch.  Seems dumb.   Also,  was I the only one that saw holding on almost every play by both olines and it wasn't called all day?

Its all based on momentum, naturally if you’re moving forward your momentum brings you forward which is why the toes are acceptable because say for instance if you’re diving it would be virtually impossible to get your heels down. But likewise if you’re falling backwards your momentum will be going that direction as well. Your Heels are the primary point of contact.

Speaking of things that didn't lose us the game but we still have questions about...

What's up with the turf? Did they repaint it recently, or is there some other reason for it to have been such a factor? I was thinking maybe it takes a few weeks to break it in, but I don't remember anyone slipping like that in preseason.

Another random thought. I thought the crowd was great yesterday. It sounded loud on TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not sure the play @jvan1973 was talking about, but I just took his word for it.  I must've missed it because I don't ever remember the broadcast discussing it.

This is a math class now lol

almost interception on the sideline Stroud tossed it up we came down with it Our CB(can’t remember which one) had his back to sideline so his right foot was in and the front of his left foot was in, however the heal came down out of bounds Since he was in this position and even though the the left front of his foot came down in bounds it was not enough No INT

note Went to some officials site and it seems that John Madden is credited with  the saying 1 knee= 2 feet Heck there is even memorabilia 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Speaking of things that didn't lose us the game but we still have questions about...

What's up with the turf? Did they repaint it recently, or is there some other reason for it to have been such a factor? I was thinking maybe it takes a few weeks to break it in, but I don't remember anyone slipping like that in preseason.

Another random thought. I thought the crowd was great yesterday. It sounded loud on TV.

They mentioned during the broadcast that it was new or replaced this year if I'm not mistaken.  It was after the second time CJ Stroud slipped they were talking about why it might have been as slippery as it was.

On 9/8/2024 at 6:15 PM, RollerColt said:

I saw quite a bit of holding going on as well they didn’t call.  EJ Speed got held blatantly on the “magic throw” to Nico Collins on 3rd and long.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not sure the play @jvan1973 was talking about, but I just took his word for it.  I must've missed it because I don't ever remember the broadcast discussing it.

what got me was he had two feet / toes in...before momentum pushed heel out of bounds... I noticed that the announcers never brought that out... maybe that is why the ref/umpire called it a catch..?? 

4 hours ago, Believe blue1306 said:

Yeah I don’t understand the logic of it. If you were to pause the INT he clearly had 2 feet in (one being a toe) but because he’s backwards you have to have the heel in? Doesn’t make sense 

If any part of the foot lands out of bounds, then the player is out of bounds. His heel didn't have to come down in bounds, it just couldn't land out of bounds. If somehow he was able to keep his heel up, the toes in bounds would have been acceptable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If any part of the foot lands out of bounds, then the player is out of bounds. His heel didn't have to come down in bounds, it just couldn't land out of bounds. If somehow he was able to keep his heel up, the toes in bounds would have been acceptable. 

I get what your saying,  and I'm sure that's the way the league sees it as well.   However if you catch the ball drag your toes it's a catch.  Even if your toes are still dragging the turf when you go out of bounds. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I get what your saying,  and I'm sure that's the way the league sees it as well.   However if you catch the ball drag your toes it's a catch.  Even if your toes are still dragging the turf when you go out of bounds. 

The same would be true of any part of the foot. If you somehow land on your heel and drag it out of bounds, that foot is considered in bounds because the foot landed in bounds. The toes aren't being treated any differently than the heel.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Believe blue1306 said:

IMG_0729.jpeg.fb216aa1bea95953bd42a7404f2727fd.jpeg

Two feet in before the heel hits. I don’t really understand the rule I guess. That in my eyes is a catch. 

His heel was coming down as the same motion as getting his foot down.  That’s why.  When receivers tap their toes they keep their heels up until their foot moves again making it another step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1