Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 53 man roster guess (merge)

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it still legal for Dulin to go to the PS?   

I would think if the Colts cut him, before we can reclaim him he’d be grabbed by another team.   So it’s hard to see that happening.  

I can't speak for teams around the league, but I don't see Dulin as a must add. Either way, it's not a major loss

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It’s legal but there’s no way he’s not claimed by someone first. 

Johnson isn’t making the team. He was one of the worst graded DT’s in the NFL last season. He’s going to the PS or elsewhere. 

I also feel that he has one too many o-lineman listed. I think either Pinter or Freeland gets cut. It wouldn’t shock me to see them grab a different backup OT outside of the organization and send Freeland packing.  I think Pinter gets cut and Tucker makes the team. 

I value oline depth over keeping a 6th WR.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can't speak for teams around the league, but I don't see Dulin as a must add. Either way, it's not a major loss

Huh?   You realize Dulin is viewed as a special teams ace.   You think Ballard just lets him go and it’s not a major loss.   

Wow, I sure didn’t see that one coming.  

On 8/18/2024 at 2:20 PM, richard pallo said:

I think Freeland fails to make the roster and they keep Pinter and Tucker.

Huh?   Everything I’ve read and heard is that the Colts like Freeland.   I have no idea why you’re ready to cut him so soon?  

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   You realize Dulin is viewed as a special teams ace.   You think Ballard just lets him go and it’s not a major loss.   

Wow, I sure didn’t see that one coming.  

Has Dulin been healthy at all this camp? Also Shane has no attachment to Dulin and while im sure it's a collective decision on who makes the team, Shane is gonna want his guys that he's seen everyday in practice.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Has Dulin been healthy at all this camp? Also Shane has no attachment to Dulin and while im sure it's a collective decision on who makes the team, Shane is gonna want his guys that he's seen everyday in practice.

He was actively participating and doing well up until a practice or two before the Denver game. Not sure how much after though?

• Nadine changed the title to Early 53 man roster guess (merge)
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   Everything I’ve read and heard is that the Colts like Freeland.   I have no idea why you’re ready to cut him so soon?  

He has performed terribly at camp and in the preseason.  No second year improvement.  Liking him and him doing the job are two different things.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It wouldn't shock me if the Colts tried to get Freehand through to the practice squad. The guy that no one mentions is Jake Witt . He looked better at LT than Freehand did vs AZ. 

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

It wouldn't shock me if the Colts tried to get Freehand through to the practice squad. The guy that no one mentions is Jake Witt . He looked better at LT than Freehand did vs AZ. 

It will be interesting to see how they both perform Thursday.  It might come down to one or the other making the team.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He has performed terribly at camp and in the preseason.  No second year improvement.  Liking him and him doing the job are two different things.

Would you care to make the list of players that Ballard drafted in the 4th and cut after one year?   Go ahead and try.   I think it’ll take you a matter of seconds.  

Good luck with that.  

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you care to make the list of players that Ballard drafted in the 4th and cut after one year?   Go ahead and try.   I think it’ll take you a matter of seconds.  

Good luck with that.  

Always a first time for everything.  Lol

On 8/20/2024 at 2:18 AM, NewColtsFan said:

post 1 article or link to that being true 

On 8/20/2024 at 3:06 AM, CR91 said:

Dulin injured his hamstring, in practice, before the Denver game.

WR will be Interesting during cut-downs. We are running a bit heavy at that position. With Pittman, Pierce, Mitchell and Downs locks. I expect Anthony Gould should to make roster.  Does Ballard then only keep 5? or would they carry 6?

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

WR will be Interesting during cut-downs. We are running a bit heavy at that position. With Pittman, Pierce, Mitchell and Downs locks. I expect Anthony Gould should to make roster.  Does Ballard then only keep 5? or would they carry 6?

I have us keeping six, including Dulin.  Treadwell could make it interesting, but he’d have to have another game like the Cardinal game.  Probably also have to impress in ST…

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Archer said:

I have us keeping six, including Dulin.  Treadwell could make it interesting, but he’d have to have another game like the Cardinal game.  Probably also have to impress in ST…

Treadwell seems more explosive than Dulin, IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Archer said:

I have six, with Treadwell over Dulin. His talent has been undeniable during the preseason games. And I have it at six because Downs is still hurt, and presumably won't be ready at the beginning of the season.

So I have MPJ, Treadwell, Pierce, Mitchell, Downs, Gould. Between Treadwell, Pierce, and Gould, the STs role of Dulin should be covered. When Downs is ready, Treadwell probably goes. 

Then four TEs: MAC, Ogletree, Granson, Mallory. With Woods on IR. And four RBs: Taylor, Goodson, Scott, Hull, with Sermon on IR. If Sermon plays tomorrow and looks good, then maybe he takes Goodson's spot. 

Three QBs, but I don't know who will win #3. No strong feelings there either way, but I'd rather develop someone other than Ehlinger.

And then nine OL: Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Fries, Smith, Tucker, Goncalves, Freeland, Pinter. Bortolini probably to IR, or exposed to waivers. 

So that's 26 on offense, with six WRs and nine OL, because of injury.

That leaves 24 for defense.

Nine DL: Paye, Latu, Buckner, Adebawore, Stewart, Davis, Lewis, Dayo, Land. 

Five LB: Speed, Franklin, Olubi, Carlies, Stuard.

Six CB: Brents, Flowers, Jones, Simpson, Moore, Abraham

Four S: Blackmon, Cross, Thomas, Harrison

And STs: Gay, Sanchez, Rhodes.

I got carried away, sorry. I started thinking about it and wanted to get my thoughts about the rest of the roster out there, just for the sake of seeing it more clearly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Well with Woods getting hurt, Dulin can make the team now

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I have six, with Treadwell over Dulin. His talent has been undeniable during the preseason games. And I have it at six because Downs is still hurt, and presumably won't be ready at the beginning of the season.

So I have MPJ, Treadwell, Pierce, Mitchell, Downs, Gould. Between Treadwell, Pierce, and Gould, the STs role of Dulin should be covered. When Downs is ready, Treadwell probably goes. 

Then four TEs: MAC, Ogletree, Granson, Mallory. With Woods on IR. And four RBs: Taylor, Goodson, Scott, Hull, with Sermon on IR. If Sermon plays tomorrow and looks good, then maybe he takes Goodson's spot. 

Three QBs, but I don't know who will win #3. No strong feelings there either way, but I'd rather develop someone other than Ehlinger.

And then nine OL: Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Fries, Smith, Tucker, Goncalves, Freeland, Pinter. Bortolini probably to IR, or exposed to waivers. 

I got carried away, sorry. I started thinking about it and wanted to get my thoughts about the rest of the roster out there, just for the sake of seeing it more clearly. 

Based on only the two pre-season games I have watched, I believe Tanor Bortolini has outperformed Pinter. I would be very disappointed it they risk cutting the 4th round pick, who has been impressive. But due to the injury situation at center, Pinter does seems likely to make the team. Steichen's comments on Bortolini's injury was a bit vague, saying "He think's he'll be alright. Does not see him missing an extended amount of time, but he's gonna miss some time"

Of all the O-linemen, I have watched so far, Dalton Tucker has been my favorite. 

I found Kent Sterling's comments today a bit surprising. Sterling said Will Fries has struggled through camp. 

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Based on only the two pre-season games I have watched, I believe Tanor Bortolini has outperformed Pinter. I would be very disappointed it they risk cutting the 4th round pick, who has been impressive. But due to the injury situation at center, Pinter does seems likely to make the team. Steichen's comments on Bortolini's injury was a bit vague, saying "He think's he'll be alright. Does not see him missing an extended amount of time, but he's gonna miss some time"

Of all the O-linemen, I have watched so far, Dalton Tucker has been my favorite. 

I found Kent Sterling's comments today a bit surprising. Sterling said Will Fries has struggled through camp. 

If Bortolini wasn't hurt, I might agree with you. I tried to be pragmatic, rather than idealistic. 

Treadwell has looked like a former 1st Rd pick playing vs 3rd and 4th string guys. He should look that way. 

Dulin returned to practice and has had a nice connection with Flacco.   It also appears in the preseason games that Montgomery is on the field before Treadwell. I think they can slide Montgomery to the PS

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Bortolini isnt going anywhere or exposé to waivers. He is the Center of the future here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If Bortolini wasn't hurt, I might agree with you. I tried to be pragmatic, rather than idealistic. 

Freeland has a better chance of being cut than Bortolini has. Probably the worst prediction I seen from you these past 10 years or so. Also I think the Colts just carry 2 QB's with maybe 2 of the 3 Qb's that are cut going to the PS. I would guess that Sam is the odd man out as this is the final year of his contract.  As the RB , I think Taylor , Hull and Sermon or Goodson. 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Freeland has a better chance of being cut than Bortolini has. Probably the worst prediction I seen from you these past 10 years or so. Also I think the Colts just carry 2 QB's with maybe 2 of the 3 Qb's that are cut going to the PS. I would guess that Sam is the odd man out as this is the final year of his contract.  As the RB , I think Taylor , Hull and Sermon or Goodson. 

My worst prediction is about our 8th/9th OL? I've definitely done worse, LOL. 

People on this board continue to say this about Freeland. I guess we'll see whether he makes it, but Bortolini is a guard/center, so I don't see them as being in direct competition for a roster spot. And my main reason for pushing Bortolini is his injury. If he's gonna make it, I think he's taking Pinter's spot. If Freeland isn't going to make it, I see Witt taking his spot. Let's see how long Freeland plays tomorrow night, if he's still out there in the 4th quarter, that probably means he's in real danger.

I think three QBs is a lock, though. Richardson needs to prove he can stay available for an entire season before we'll go with just two, and even then, more teams are carrying three than two lately. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Would someone please get me up to speed on Bortolini being hurt?  

What is the injury? 

When did it happen?

How long is he expected to be out?   

All this talk that he might be cut has my attention!

My thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

It’s not necessary to run 3 QB’s on the active roster with the emergency QB rules now, which allows a practice squad player to come in case of emergency. No reason to keep Ehlinger around IMHO keep either Slovis or Bean on the practice squad and save the rosters spot for another position group.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would someone please get me up to speed on Bortolini being hurt?  

What is the injury? 

When did it happen?

How long is he expected to be out?   

All this talk that he might be cut has my attention!

My thanks in advance.  

He got hurt in the Cards game, and Steichen says he'll miss some time, but not 'an extended amount of time,' whatever that means. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-ol-tanor-bortolini-wont-015800673.html

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

It’s not necessary to run 3 QB’s on the active roster with the emergency QB rules now, which allows a practice squad player to come in case of emergency. No reason to keep Ehlinger around IMHO keep either Slovis or Bean on the practice squad and save the rosters spot for another position group.

That would leave your third QB exposed to be signed away. I don't think that's something a team should do if they value having a playable third QB.

Edit: I'm fine with moving on from Ehlinger.

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

...I guess we'll see whether he makes it, but Bortolini is a guard/center, so I don't see them as being in direct competition for a roster spot. And my main reason for pushing Bortolini is his injury. If he's gonna make it, I think he's taking Pinter's spot...

Although I suppose they could roll with ten o-line? and keep Pinter and Bortolini.

If not, I'd say It's comes down to keeping two, out of these three... Pinter - Bortolini - Tucker.

They could keep both Pinter & TB and try to slip Tucker through on waivers (although I hope they don't risk Tucker) 

Looking at the contracts, Pinter is only one year, while Bortolini and Tucker are signed at low cost, multi year deals.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Although I suppose they could roll with ten o-line? and keep Pinter and Bortolini.

If not, I'd say It's comes down to keeping two, out of these three... Pinter - Bortolini - Tucker.

They could keep both Pinter & TB and try to slip Tucker through on waivers (although I hope they don't risk Tucker) 

Looking at the contracts, Pinter is only one year, while Bortolini and Tucker are signed at low cost, multi year deals.

I have Tucker ahead of Pinter and Bortolini, he's looked like a better player than both in the two preseason games. JMO.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have Tucker ahead of Pinter and Bortolini, he's looked like a better player than both in the two preseason games. JMO.

Yes. Also, I noticed how Tucker played a great deal of snaps vs Denver, and I think he may have played the entire game vs Arizona.

On the big run by Evan Hull,  Dalton Tucker was the guard who pulled and road-graded the Cardinal defender. I spotted Tucker pulling several times in that game.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

My worst prediction is about our 8th/9th OL? I've definitely done worse, LOL. 

People on this board continue to say this about Freeland. I guess we'll see whether he makes it, but Bortolini is a guard/center, so I don't see them as being in direct competition for a roster spot. And my main reason for pushing Bortolini is his injury. If he's gonna make it, I think he's taking Pinter's spot. If Freeland isn't going to make it, I see Witt taking his spot. Let's see how long Freeland plays tomorrow night, if he's still out there in the 4th quarter, that probably means he's in real danger.

I think three QBs is a lock, though. Richardson needs to prove he can stay available for an entire season before we'll go with just two, and even then, more teams are carrying three than two lately. 

I understand  that Bortolini and Freeland are not in competition with each other for the roster spot. I just stated that I feel Bortolini has a better chance of making the final 53 than Freeland does.  I also will stick by my 2 QB prediction.  

On 8/21/2024 at 8:39 AM, 1959Colts said:

WR will be Interesting during cut-downs. We are running a bit heavy at that position. With Pittman, Pierce, Mitchell and Downs locks. I expect Anthony Gould should to make roster. 

...and Treadwell looked good in pre-season.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:59 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think they will be so easy to find?

On 8/20/2024 at 2:06 AM, CR91 said:

Dulin hasn't been injured at any point this camp. What I have found strange is to my recollection I have not seen him catch or be thrown a single pass the entire preseason. Nor have I seen him on any special teams activity. I have seen Anthony Gould though.

• Like 1