Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cuts?

If I'm not mistaken, there is no first round of cuts anymore.  I could be wrong, but I think they did away with it since they needed guys for that last preseason game.

So, in other words, no cuts until the preseason is over.

• Like 1

And by the way, after the cut to 53, then teams construct their 16 man practice squad. So, you are really talking about 69 players on the roster.

This is why a team like the Colts can keep all 5 of their TEs, because they will only keep 2 QBs on the 53(AR & Flacco) Would be stupid to waste a spot on the 53 on a cat like Slovis(Ehlinger is gone) Put Slovis on the PS and you are good. I know they kept 3 QBs on the 53 last year, but in my opinion, it would be stupid to do so this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

And by the way, after the cut to 53, then teams construct their 16 man practice squad. So, you are really talking about 69 players on the roster.

This is why a team like the Colts can keep all 5 of their TEs, because they will only keep 2 QBs on the 53(AR & Flacco) Would be stupid to waste a spot on the 53 on a cat like Slovis(Ehlinger is gone) Put Slovis on the PS and you are good. I know they kept 3 QBs on the 53 last year, but in my opinion, it would be stupid to do so this year.

I think the Colts will keep Bean. 

• Like 3

I thought the league made it so teams can keep 3 QBs, without the 3rd counting vs the 53, no?

If not, league is stupid for not going to 54 with that extra spot having to be a 3rd QB.  More stupid, that they just don’t go to 55, with 3 having to be QBs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I thought the league made it so teams can keep 3 QBs, without the 3rd counting vs the 53, no?

If not, league is stupid for not going to 54 with that extra spot having to be a 3rd QB.  More stupid, that they just don’t go to 55, with 3 having to be QBs.

You can have an emergency QB but he has to be on the 53.  

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think the Colts will keep Bean. 

I saw Slovis play more in college. 42 starts and about 12,000 yards.

Can't really glean much from very limited action for Slovis and Bean in one preseason game. We will see how the next 2 go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

After last season with so many QB injuries, and a longer season it only makes sense to have 3 QBs. It's just the unfortunate nature of this new beast. I fully agree with you.

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Can't really glean much from very limited action for Slovis and Bean in one preseason game. We will see how the next 2 go.

Agreed. They'll be evaluated over the course of the entire camp including the practices and the games. I expect one of them to be put on the practice squad and for us to have Anthony, Joe and yes Sam on the active roster. 

7 hours ago, PackersNation said:

He wears my hockey number I’ve had as a kid 17. 17’s Haven’t done very well with the colts only a few years and home 

From what I saw in our last game, we will have no problem in addressing our cutting schedule. The defensive side will be a no brainer. Until we beat the Texans and Jags we are heading to the cellar of the division. Shane has alot of work to do with AR. He can't pre-read defenses well enough to be decisive with his target reads. You can tell that Flacco is releasing the ball in 3 secongs whereas AR is taking longer and confused. This season will determine if AR has the mental acuity to process within the speed of the game? Hopefully all those added QB coaches will help.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

From what I saw in our last game, we will have no problem in addressing our cutting schedule. The defensive side will be a no brainer. Until we beat the Texans and Jags we are heading to the cellar of the division. Shane has alot of work to do with AR. He can't pre-read defenses well enough to be decisive with his target reads. You can tell that Flacco is releasing the ball in 3 secongs whereas AR is taking longer and confused. This season will determine if AR has the mental acuity to process within the speed of the game? Hopefully all those added QB coaches will help.

Certainly this isn’t a championship team…..yet. There will be natural growing pains for AR, but the coaches believe in him, and I think he played pretty well last year in his limited action. His future is bright. 
There are still a few pieces missing (mostly on D at LB and DB) but fewer than there used to be. This group will compete every week and improve as the season progresses. I for one will enjoy watching them grow to become championship caliber in the very near future. 

• Like 1

Not picking on you Hoose, but many other people keep saying we can't contend for a SB, how do you know? Were the Bucs SB contenders in 2002, were the Giants in 2007 and 2011? Were the Seahawks in 2013? Were the Eagles in 2017? Not one person thought those teams would win the SB before those seasons, guess what, they all did. If Ballard would wake up and sign Simmons and Gilmore both (or 1 of them) to go with other guys on our roster, we would be even better. I love our D.Line and our Offense and Coaching.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not picking on you Hoose, but many other people keep saying we can't contend for a SB, how do you know? Were the Bucs SB contenders in 2002, were the Giants in 2007 and 2011? Were the Seahawks in 2013? Were the Eagles in 2017? Not one person thought those teams would win the SB before those seasons, guess what, they all did. If Ballard would wake up and sign Simmons and Gilmore both (or 1 of them) to go with other guys on our roster, we would be even better. I love our D.Line and our Offense and Coaching.

So, in a way you’re saying that Ballard doesn’t believe we can be a contender.   He’s said it several times, they want to see what they have with the young DBs.  If they thought we were one (or two) player away, he would have signed someone before camp started.  

I know it’s not too late, but the longer they wait, the less time the new guy has to get in the groove. 

All that being said, this season’s success is on the offense.  If AR and JT play like we expect, and the Oline is as good as last season, we could have a ball control offense.  And that’s a lot less pressure on the D.  

This team could be anywhere from 5 - 12 to 10 - 7.  

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

So, in a way you’re saying that Ballard doesn’t believe we can be a contender.   He’s said it several times, they want to see what they have with the young DBs.  If they thought we were one (or two) player away, he would have signed someone before camp started.  

I know it’s not too late, but the longer they wait, the less time the new guy has to get in the groove. 

All that being said, this season’s success is on the offense.  If AR and JT play like we expect, and the Oline is as good as last season, we could have a ball control offense.  And that’s a lot less pressure on the D.  

This team could be anywhere from 5 - 12 to 10 - 7.  

I don't think there is anyway we go 5-12. Even if AR gets injured, we have Flacco who can win 8 or 9 games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

My impression in seeing Flacco play, the Colts will be better if it comes to him, as compared to Minshew last year.  Ergo, I feel Flacco is a better QB insurance policy than last season.

I do too. Minshew played pretty good at times but I trust Flacco a tad more even though he is old. He led the Browns to many wins last season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PackersNation said:

My main concern is JT missing time. Some here keep telling me the backup RBs are wonderful. I have zero belief in any of them. lol.

Same here. Some think everyone can be Moss if JT goes down, that is far from the truth. We were extremely lucky that we had Moss last season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here. Some think everyone can be Moss if JT goes down, that is far from the truth. We were extremely lucky that we had Moss last season. 

No one believes that "everyone" can be Moss, and no one believes our backups are "wonderful". Speaking of "far from the truth"!

And Irrational.

Luck had nothing to do with Ballard trading for a a better #2 back.

Luck was that Moss was able to run the ball as much as he did without injury.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think there is anyway we go 5-12. Even if AR gets injured, we have Flacco who can win 8 or 9 games. 

I agree, mainly because I’m an optimist. 

But do this exercise - Look at the schedule, and as it stands today how many games do you think the Colts will be favored?

I fully understand how fluid that is, and injuries, etc., play a big part.  But just do the exercise as it stands today.  

I have 7-8.  

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

No one believes that "everyone" can be Moss, and no one believes our backups are "wonderful". Speaking of "far from the truth"!

And Irrational.

Ok, it sounds like you believe the RB depth is suspect. Glad you agree.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

While I see 5-12 unlikely I do see 7 wins as a moderate chance of happening. I really feel AR is going to struggle enough learning the game it will keep us from winning. With perfect special teams, timely turnovers and coaching we may be able to steal a few more victories. I think double digit wins is quite possible but the team will need to carry AR more than most realize. I say this while thinking 7-8 wins is an excellent record with this roster from basically a rookie QB and 2nd year head coach. Eager to see what happens this year but I do anticipate a lot close games where we just come up short.  

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

And Irrational.

Reading comprehension. I said "some" think everyone can be Moss. Yes there are some think our backups are fine. Hell, there were a few in here that wanted JT traded for a 4th round pick. 

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

While I see 5-12 unlikely I do see 7 wins as a moderate chance of happening. I really feel AR is going to struggle enough learning the game it will keep us from winning. With perfect special teams, timely turnovers and coaching we may be able to steal a few more victories. I think double digit wins is quite possible but the team will need to carry AR more than most realize. I say this while thinking 7-8 wins is an excellent record with this roster from basically a rookie QB and 2nd year head coach. Eager to see what happens this year but I do anticipate a lot close games where we just come up short.  

In no world we even go 7-10. We could start off slowly because our schedule is tough but the last part of our schedule, we should win them all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think at worst we go 8-9 and a lot has to go wrong for that too happen. I think we go 10-7.

There's the rub. A lot of things do go wrong during a season. The coaching staff has to "think 3 - 4 moves ahead" and have contingency plans for all the "what ifs". Many teams fall into the Sunny Day Paradox that everything will go perfectly.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think at worst we go 8-9 and a lot has to go wrong for that too happen. I think we go 10-7.

As it stands today, I think we’re favored in 7, maybe 8 games.  

I fully understand that will change week to week, but it’s interesting that as of now Vegas doesn’t think we’re a winning team.

But, you only have to win 6 games to make the playoffs, lol

On 8/13/2024 at 9:43 AM, RollerColt said:

Agreed. They'll be evaluated over the course of the entire camp including the practices and the games. I expect one of them to be put on the practice squad and for us to have Anthony, Joe and yes Sam on the active roster. 

Highly unlikely they carry 4 QBs during the season. They kept 3 QBs on the 53 last year, but none on the PS. You don't need to waste a spot for a 4th QB. No one does that.

As I said earlier, I think they will keep AR and Flacco on the 53 and Slovis or Bean on the PS. Ehlinger is likely released.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In no world we even go 7-10. We could start off slowly because our schedule is tough but the last part of our schedule, we should win them all.

Love the confidence!  I just don’t agree with you on this one. I see many scenarios that can lead to a 7-8 win season. I hope I’m wrong and there is no world it can happen in!

On 8/14/2024 at 12:16 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

AR did not seem to be struggling to learn the game last year. He showed quite clearly that he was much more prepared for the NFL than almost anyone expected. Now he has had a year of mental reps in the system. Hell, seemingly most of the fanbase wanted him to sit out the year anyway (which I thought was dumb).

We have a coach that has now had a year to adjust and implement his system. Our star RB is back and no longer a distraction. A seemingly fair schedule. etc etc

This team (or a worse version) won 9 games with Gardner freaking Minshew at QB (he is not good). To expect 7 wins seems wildly pessimistic to me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

AR did not seem to be struggling to learn the game last year. He showed quite clearly that he was much more prepared for the NFL than almost anyone expected. Now he has had a year of mental reps in the system. Hell, seemingly most of the fanbase wanted him to sit out the year anyway (which I thought was dumb).

We have a coach that has now had a year to adjust and implement his system. Our star RB is back and no longer a distraction. A seemingly fair schedule. etc etc

This team (or a worse version) won 9 games with Gardner freaking Minshew at QB (he is not good). To expect 7 wins seems wildly pessimistic to me.

Just to be up front. I expect 7-10 wins.  I see scenarios that would get us anywhere in that range. You listed reasons why we would do better than last year and those are great. I really hope they are all true!!  I want to add to those positives by mentioning the OL and DL are incredibly deep. The starters are top 5-10 on both sides of the ball and the backups have loads of potential. If Downs can come back be effective, we may have the deepest WE corps we have had since Marvin, Reggie and Stokley. 

I also see a weak secondary, rusty inexperienced QB, a star running back with a lot of mileage who has missed 13 games the past two seasons, a schedule that doesn’t have 10 rookies or backups like last year, injury riddled OL etc. 

Trying to be objective and not “wildly pessimistic” bc the difference between 7 and 10 win teams is super small in the NFL.  Normally only a few plays a year separate those teams. I’m hoping the youth and lack of experience doesn’t prevent a playoff season but typically history shows it can cost 2-3 games a year. All we can do is wait and see what happens

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Just to be up front. I expect 7-10 wins.  I see scenarios that would get us anywhere in that range. You listed reasons why we would do better than last year and those are great. I really hope they are all true!!  I want to add to those positives by mentioning the OL and DL are incredibly deep. The starters are top 5-10 on both sides of the ball and the backups have loads of potential. If Downs can come back be effective, we may have the deepest WE corps we have had since Marvin, Reggie and Stokley. 

I also see a weak secondary, rusty inexperienced QB, a star running back with a lot of mileage who has missed 13 games the past two seasons, a schedule that doesn’t have 10 rookies or backups like last year, injury riddled OL etc. 

Trying to be objective and not “wildly pessimistic” bc the difference between 7 and 10 win teams is super small in the NFL.  Normally only a few plays a year separate those teams. I’m hoping the youth and lack of experience doesn’t prevent a playoff season but typically history shows it can cost 2-3 games a year. All we can do is wait and see what happens

I am worried about our secondary but other than that we have a good roster. Wish Ballard would just sign Gilmore or Simmons for 1 year, take a chance. It's 1 freaking year. If it doesn't work, they are off the books next year.

• Like 1