Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after 1st Live Action

CR91

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah- the big one being Nix is being evaluated to possibly be a starter week 1. We know who is our starter (first time we’ve had the same one in consecutive starts since 2018). 

Some new fans don’t understand that or the trauma for this franchise because of it. I’d rather Richardson start week 1 healthy in a massive division game just for that fact than see him play full halves in the preseason against backups for “reps”. But maybe that’s just me.

Nix also essentially started for five years in college. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

1 minute ago, ADnum1 said:

Clearly Stroud is in complete command of that offense 

AR is struggling to throw a simple pass over the middle to Gransen that any 2nd or 3rd string QB could easily hit.

AR has alot of catching up to do to Stroud

Yeah… I mean, every analyst said Stroud would be a better passer than AR, did they not? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Anybody watch CJ Stroud on the second drive take it to the house with a beautiful pass to Tank Dell against Steeler first lineup?  He was done after that TD. You should watch their confidence and command he had with his WR on the sideline and their coaches. 

That was Stroud's second preseason game this summer. Hopefully AR looks as good in his second game. But he can't show what he can do standing on the sidelines.

• Like 6

Just now, G8R said:

Nix also essentially started for five years I college. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

yeah- Nix is 2 years and 3 mo. older than AR. I didn’t compare them- only that one is trying to become a starter and one is not. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah- Nix is 2 years and 3 mo. older than AR. I didn’t compare them- only that one is trying to become a starter and one is not. 

Who cares about age? My thing was getting experience.

If Raekwon Davis doesn’t play we will still have a problem at backup DT behind Grover.  That was a problem last year when he was out.  I don’t see Moe going anywhere.  He might even get himself a second contract.  He was good today playing a short time with the 1’s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think some people forget how little experience Richardson has. He had I think 15 games in college and started 4 games last year, getting injured early in 2 of them. It’s unfair to compare him to Stroud imo, as AR was developmental/traits QB when we drafted him. I think we need to take the good with the bad with him during the season and hope we see improvement through to 2025. But I’m not worried about him.

• Like 1

On the first serie, CJ was under heavy pressure from the Steelers and he was elusive and threw incompletions to avoid the sack. On the next series they gave him protection and he nailed the pass in the middle to Tank and he did the rest. AR's development will be this year and that is why I feel it will be a 7-10 season. JT is no magic man. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

If Raekwon Davis doesn’t play we will still have a problem at backup DT behind Grover.  That was a problem last year when he was out.  I don’t see Moe going anywhere.  He might even get himself a second contract.  He was good today playing a short time with the 1’s. 

The Raekwon situation is puzzling. I'm wondering how his blood pressure is going to affect him during the regular season? He's been out a while 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

On the first serie, CJ was under heavy pressure from the Steelers and he was elusive and threw incompletions to avoid the sack. On the next series they gave him protection and he nailed the pass in the middle to Tank and he did the rest. AR's development will be this year and that is why I feel it will be a 7-10 season. JT is no magic man. 

We will win more than 7. Ballard will become if we take a backwards step.

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think some people forget how little experience Richardson has. He had I think 15 games in college and started 4 games last year, getting injured early in 2 of them. It’s unfair to compare him to Stroud imo, as AR was developmental/traits QB when we drafted him. I think we need to take the good with the bad with him during the season and hope we see improvement through to 2025. But I’m not worried about him.

It’s rust to me. Not black of experience. Plus they are not using the regular season playbook.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G8R said:

Who cares about age? My thing was getting experience.

oh ok. I forgot you think meaningful experience is preseason vs 2nd teams. 

Age and experience are often directly correlated. Nix has 5 years college and is 2+ years older than AR, who has more nfl reps/starts than Nix. Hence, Nix played more reps in his 1st preseason game than AR did his 4th… 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Raekwon situation is puzzling. I'm wondering how his blood pressure is going to affect him during the regular season? He's been out a while 

yeah, it’s strange there hasn’t been meaningful dialogue on it. 

Your local media at work…

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yep.  Blood pressure is normally regulated with medication.  He most likely has something else going on.  Let’s hope it’s not serious.

I wish they would have given AR another series.

i was reminded how much I dislike Sean Payton today. Who the hell brings blitzes in the first preseason game especially against other starters? 

We had backups against their starters for a very prolonged period of time. The pass coverage wasn’t bad but I was reminded of how much I hate Gus Bradley today. It went from dislike to a hatred. I’ll be very happy when he’s gone.

Thinking about the tightend position the one I may be more okay losing via trade would be Granson. I think Mallory has better hands and speed and if we need a true H back type Pennix could be solid for it all while giving us RB depth instead of Goodson.

Really liked what I saw from Slovis. The guy can spin it and if he would have set his feet he would have had the TD. I’d like to see him develop. What the heck did Sam see on that pick?

Super excited about our 2 middle round O line men. Seemed to play well, would like to go back and watch to see how Witt did at left tackle.

15 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

AR is struggling to throw a simple pass over the middle to Gransen that any 2nd or 3rd string QB could easily hit.

I'm very sorry 

He doesn't need to be Stroud. At this point he needs to be AR. AR hits the screens, crossing routes, verticals, extends plays with the run and what not. No one should expect him to be as pinpoint as Stroud. AR game is different. Not going to see too many 40/50 attempt games. I think we will usually lead time of possession.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That was Stroud's second preseason game this summer. Hopefully AR looks as good in his second game. But he can't show what he can do standing on the sidelines.

As a coltan, I hope AR will do something in the NFL. But I'm not real optimistic of his overall abilities. I hope I'm dead wrong. I'm too old to wait for the front office to make a decision that should be made this year but will not due to injuries to him or some of his teammates. It's just a feeling I'm getting. It has been a long time since they have had a QB that you expect them to compete every weekend for a win.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

yeah, it’s strange there hasn’t been meaningful dialogue on it. 

Your local media at work…

Steichen has been tight lipped as well

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

i was reminded how much I dislike Sean Payton today. Who the hell brings blitzes in the first preseason game especially against other starters? 

That's a good point... I wonder if that had any influence on AR's planned time. Payton is scum. If it happened once, it'll happen again- dirty coaches align with dirty coaches. He'll have another scandal on his hands before too long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

As a coltan, I hope AR will do something in the NFL. But I'm not real optimistic of his overall abilities. I hope I'm dead wrong. I'm too old to wait for the front office to make a decision that should be made this year but will not due to injuries to him or some of his teammates. It's just a feeling I'm getting. It has been a long time since they have had a QB that you expect them to compete every weekend for a win.

As you know, QBs don't always look good as rookies. Some do but most don't, even some that turn out to be among the best ever.

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He didn’t play the hall of fame game.

Good point. I thought he did. Hopefully Steichen gives AR more than a few snaps next week. You know he probably won't play the 3rd preseason game.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Good point. I thought he did. Hopefully Steichen gives AR more than a few snaps next week. You know he probably won't play the 3rd preseason game.

They normally treat the second game like the dress rehearsal.  I am guessing he will play the first half.  Joint practices could change though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

too old to wait for what? Deciding if he's the qb? Did you watch the last 5 seasons? They made decision after decision just to get to this point of having the same qb start week 1 back to back years... I dont know how old you are, and I'd like to tell you you'll see a championship contender in your lifetime, but the odds aren't great unless Anthony Richardson proves to be capable of getting us there. A lot falls on him leading this team, or we will be rebuilding around some pieces from the last few drafts and starting all over otherwise.

AR did what Steichen wanted him to do, got a few reps, nothing to worry about. *( see below)

1st team offense, line looked good, defensive line looked good.

Watching the game I was more interested in 2nd 3rd and beyond levels of play.

Goncalves looked good, Bortolini looked ok, he needs to add weight/strength, a few plays the DT blew him up initially, his athleticism had him recover.

Like what I saw from back up CB's Abraham and Simpson, Land, Lammons, Olubi, Leo, Adebowere, Treadwell.

* I see AR wearing glasses, they are not reading glasses, they are for distance. Having had Lasik surgery myself, for distance, I would guess he could benefit from this, and improve his downfield vision a lot. Vision to work into tight spaces can not hurt him. Typical Lasik is short term recovery, few days, and maybe a week to 10 days without heavy contact, could pull off, still practice before the season starts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm betting he doesn't play at all Saturday and they use the third game as rehearsal. It might depend on what Arizona wants to do. If they want to sit most of their starters after joint practices, then our hand might be forced.

1 minute ago, Lifetime Colt said:

* I see AR wearing glasses, they are not reading glasses, they are for distance. Having had Lasik surgery myself, for distance, I would guess he could benefit from this, and improve his downfield vision a lot. Vision to work into tight spaces can not hurt him. Typical Lasik is short term recovery, few days, and maybe a week to 10 days without heavy contact, could pull off, still practice before the season starts.

I think we would have heard about vision issues if this were the case... To me, they are just for show/style. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They normally treat the second game like the dress rehearsal.  I am guessing he will play the first half.  Joint practices could change though.

I hope. Most teams don't play starters the last game. You don't want guys who are not expected to make an NFL team to take a shot at your QB in that last game.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I hope. Most teams don't play starters the last game. You don't want guys who are not expected to make an NFL team to take a shot at your QB in that last game.

Or any game... Which is why he had 7 passes today. And why Arizona might force how much playing time he gets...

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

We had backups against their starters for a very prolonged period of time. The pass coverage wasn’t bad but I was reminded of how much I hate Gus Bradley today. It went from dislike to a hatred. I’ll be very happy when he’s gone.

Thinking about the tightend position the one I may be more okay losing via trade would be Granson. I think Mallory has better hands and speed and if we need a true H back type Pennix could be solid for it all while giving us RB depth instead of Goodson.

Really liked what I saw from Slovis. The guy can spin it and if he would have set his feet he would have had the TD. I’d like to see him develop. What the heck did Sam see on that pick?

Super excited about our 2 middle round O line men. Seemed to play well, would like to go back and watch to see how Witt did at left tackle.

I’m in the minority.  I think Gus’s defense can be very effective with the right players.    I think we’re close actually.  They made a conscientious decision to go with young players in the secondary.  That’s our Achilles heel right now.  If they can make the big jump this year they should be fine.  I’m worried that they won’t.  Gilmore made a huge difference two year’s ago.  Then he left.  We will see what happens now that they have seen our secondary perform today.  I’m hoping we acquire a more experienced secondary player somehow.  If they do I think Gus’s defense will show out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or any game... Which is why he had 7 passes today. And why Arizona might force how much playing time he gets...

I can't recall which defenders were playing for Denver against Flacco, but I am pretty sure some of them will make the team. The last game is full of guys who will be cut.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Thought some of the second stringers on offense did well, Bortolini, Concalves, Mallory, Flacco, Hull, which is encouraging.

Think Ballard will be active bring in defensive players at final roster cuts day. 

Agree. I thought rookie G Dalton Tucker looked really good.

Have to like what we saw from 5th string Jason Bean

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I am. I’m hoping this year he puts those concerns to rest.

2 hours ago, G8R said:

I understand the need to keep starters out of harm’s way, but giving AR a handful of snaps is pointless in his situation. He still needs those valuable reps to learn and make mistakes since he had limited reps last year. What he was given today did a disservice. He wasn’t able to have any success, but at the same time wasn’t able to put on tape anything to learn from. IMO you hold him out until you’re willing to give him enough time to get in the flow of the game and be able to make adjustments.

Thank you for expressing what I’ve struggled with.  Today was an absolute waste when it comes to AR5’s development…IMO, he could have gotten just as much staying on the sidelines for the entire game.  He needs to play.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I can't recall which defenders were playing for Denver against Flacco, but I am pretty sure some of them will make the team. The last game is full of guys who will be cut.

it’s not what happened last season. I just went back and checked. They did a joint practice with the bears week 2, and he did not register on the box score. In the 3rd preseason game against the Eagles he threw 17 times and had 5 rushes. 

That’s vaguely how I remembered it going and expected it to be this preseason… until everyone on here was saying otherwise. I don’t think they play starters next week after joint practices… and will use 3rd week, which is shorter as the dress rehearsal before a long week off to prep for week 1. 

1 hour ago, ADnum1 said:

I'm very sorry 

AR is a rookie QB this year. Missing most of last year, I fully expect him to look like a rookie QB

• Like 1

Just had the opportunity to finally watch the game.

I am sure like many here have already stated I’m really concerned about the coverage capabilities of this secondary. We gave up a 71% completion rate to 3 different QB’s combined. Not to mention Flowers getting 2 PI calls.

Im also concerned about the backup running back spot. I wish we could have retained Moss. Our running game was dismal today. 

The first unit didn’t look too great out there today in the limited snaps they had.

Matt Gay is still a concern for me…he’s not as automatic as I’d like but I think it’ll be fine. 

Our run defense looked pretty darn good overall..with exception to allowing the QB runs.

I still am not sure if we keep all 5 TE’s or not but Mallory had 2 great catches on both targets he received, Woods caught the only ball sent his way, as did MAC. 

Latu I think will be a great player. He got stood up a few times when rushing the passer but I think he could become as good as Mathis. 

I wish we could get the season opening loss curse off our back even if it was just a preseason game.

But whew!!! Opening day of preseason and watching the Colts after many of long awaited months was so much fun, exciting, and entertaining! It feels good to be back. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it’s not what happened last season. I just went back and checked. They did a joint practice with the bears week 2, and he did not register on the box score. In the 3rd preseason game against the Eagles he threw 17 times and had 5 rushes. 

That’s vaguely how I remembered it going and expected it to be this preseason… until everyone on here was saying otherwise. I don’t think they play starters next week after joint practices… and will use 3rd week, which is shorter as the dress rehearsal before a long week off to prep for week 1. 

@NFLfan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401547664

For second-year Bears coach Matt Eberflus, it was his first preseason loss and it came in game neither of the expected headliners — Richardson, the fourth overall pick in April's draft, or Justin Fields, the Bears starting quarterback — played. Most of the starters for both teams also sat out after the teams held two joint practices in central Indiana earlier this week.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Just had the opportunity to finally watch the game.

I am sure like many here have already stated I’m really concerned about the coverage capabilities of this secondary. We gave up a 71% completion rate to 3 different QB’s combined. Not to mention Flowers getting 2 PI calls.

Im also concerned about the backup running back spot. I wish we could have retained Moss. Our running game was dismal today. 

The first unit didn’t look too great out there today in the limited snaps they had.

Matt Gay is still a concern for me…he’s not as automatic as I’d like but I think it’ll be fine. 

Our run defense looked pretty darn good overall..with exception to allowing the QB runs.

I still am not sure if we keep all 5 TE’s or not but Mallory had 2 great catches on both targets he received, Woods caught the only ball sent his way, as did MAC. 

Latu I think will be a great player. He got stood up a few times when rushing the passer but I think he could become as good as Mathis. 

I wish we could get the season opening loss curse off our back even if it was just a preseason game.

But whew!!! Opening day of preseason and watching the Colts after many of long awaited months was so much fun, exciting, and entertaining! It feels good to be back. 

I’m not super concerned about runningback group. I think the playbook was tightened to about 5 lines today… especially with AR’s legs. On the contrary. I thought Hull and Goodson both ran well at times behind the 2/3rd units. Both of those guys can catch out of the backfield (I know- that goodson…) I think it’s more likely we keep 4 running backs than 5 tight ends. There are going to be major decisions there. 

otherwise, I agree on the secondary. Wowzers they look thin to me.

• Like 1