Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

5 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep. That's what I'm afraid of too. We'll have a top 10-15 offense with Richardson, and the secondary will sink us because we are allowing around 30 points a game. I just don't like or trust Ballard anymore. He doesn't seem to care. He would rather be contrarian from the majority to prove his way works, and he knows he has job security so he can take that risk. I wish I could have fun like in Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey where my teams have success, but it seems like work to support this team.

This is why I play fantasy football (both daily and yearly) and now bestballs for last few years. I have to have some investment in sports besides rooting for the Colts as we are a mediocre team that can't make the next step into the playoff and compete for a SB. 

I'm still gonna cross my fingers that Ballard knows what he's doing.  As he said in his last interview with JMV on the radio, we had uncertainty with Bernhard Raimann after his rookie year, and Ballard said, "Trust me.  Just give the guy a chance to grow into the position."  And he was right.  Maybe he'll be right about the young guys he drafted last year as well.  We'll see.  It's not like his seat isn't hot.  If we don't make the playoffs this year, it had better be because all 22 starters were injured for the year.  Otherwise...

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm still gonna cross my fingers that Ballard knows what he's doing.  As he said in his last interview with JMV on the radio, we had uncertainty with Bernhard Raimann after his rookie year, and Ballard said, "Trust me.  Just give the guy a chance to grow into the position."  And he was right.  Maybe he'll be right about the young guys he drafted last year as well.  We'll see.  It's not like his seat isn't hot.  If we don't make the playoffs this year, it had better be because all 22 starters were injured for the year.  Otherwise...

For me I didn't have any uncertainty with Raimann after his rookie year.  I thought he was going to be an excellent starter for us. Just watching him in his rookie year was all I needed to see.  He stood out.  Not a good analogy imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t think anyone here is delusional enough to think anything they say or do matters to the team.  

You can support the team and still complain, or state what you think is better for the team.  That’s the point of this forum. 

This thread is about the secondary.  No one can doubt they don’t look good.  Not in practice or in scrimmage.  Ballard is betting on the guys we have.  He’s basically saying there’s no one out there that we can afford who would improve the situation, right?   

A lot of us disagree.  Time will tell who was right.  

Wrong.

He, and everyone that works under him are saying, at this time, we are developing the young players that are here. They have their reasons.

The goal now is to raise the football IQ through experience, of the individual player and the unit. From the, "How to Build a Veteran for Dummies" book.

We were among the league leaders in sacks, now comes the pressures, and the Interceptions.

There are very few really good D's in the NFL. And every season they all are developing young inexperienced players into their rotations.

It should be Obvious to a knowledgeable fan that we are building for a leap in Steichen's year two.

The stench of Reichs influence is gone on the field, yet still permeates in the minds of the whiners, and the half hearted "Colts Fans". 

My interest is perked by our draft, our 2nd year players, and certainly Pierce. 

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wrong.

He, and everyone that works under him are saying, at this time, we are developing the young players that are here. They have their reasons.

The goal now is to raise the football IQ through experience, of the individual player and the unit. From the, "How to Build a Veteran for Dummies" book.

We were among the league leaders in sacks, now comes the pressures, and the Interceptions.

There are very few really good D's in the NFL. And every season they all are developing young inexperienced players into their rotations.

It should be Obvious to a knowledgeable fan that we are building for a leap in Steichen's year two.

The stench of Reichs influence is gone on the field, yet still permeates in the minds of the whiners, and the half hearted "Colts Fans". 

My interest is perked by our draft, our 2nd year players, certainly Pierce. 

okay, what did I say was wrong?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

okay, what did I say was wrong?

Well, your question. And I'm absolutely certain that you know we have the money to "afford" anyone, and that included Snead. So that made no sense.

I answered your question in the first paragraph.  And then spelled out what must be the thinking in house. 

I think Ballard's thinking is very flawed at outside CB. But it's a Team defense so lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Nope, but the Saints and the Falcons wanted him and the Falcons got him. It's personal preference based on which GM liked him or not. Ballard doesn't exactly have the best track record with the Secondary and he doesn't like to spend in FA. I'll take Mickey Loomis and Terry Fontenot's opinion over Chris Ballard here on the secondary.

The saints didn't want him too bad.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

You all are not coaches, or worked for a sports team evaluating talent.  You can complain all you want, boycott this and that but the bottom line. Your opinion doesn't mean crap.  

Like a Owner, GM, Coach... you hire who you think will do the best job and you trust them to do so. 

I'm supporting the team for the 2024 season.   

oh look, another fan tell other fans on a forum their opinion doesn't mean anything...

this thread is literally just turning into poster's bashing on each other. And since when do we start blocking people for saying they don't like what chris ballard is doing? 

*colts didn't even make attempt* , yeah people are gonna be mad.

never blocked a single person on here, but yall are on here publicly talking about blocking someone. wild to me. not even sure how this banter is allowed on here tbh. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The saints didn't want him too bad.   

I don't remember you finishing a debate. you drop in and post a 1 liner instigatory remark and never respond to a quality debate. it takes two to tango buddy, including when a player is to be signed. clearly, he was coveted. 

and you might think that daddy Ballard's opinion is the end all be all, or you might get grounded, but there are 32 other NFL GMs about 10 of which actively have accomplished more. 

but your BDB knows best huh 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

oh look, another fan tell other fans on a forum their opinion doesn't mean anything...

this thread is literally just turning into poster's bashing on each other. And since when do we start blocking people for saying they don't like what chris ballard is doing? 

never blocked a single person on here, but yall are on here publicly talking about blocking someone. wild to me. not even sure how this banter is allowed on here tbh. 

Why are you mad about a factual statement?

I dont agree with Chris Ballards detractors.......but I still understand my opinion is meaningless. 

Some of yall take yourselves way too seriously.

There are people on here who actually suggest Chris Ballard doesnt care........while implying they care more than he does. Cmon man lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AKB said:

I don't remember you finishing a debate. you drop in and post a 1 liner instigatory remark and never respond to a quality debate. it takes two to tango buddy, including when a player is to be signed. clearly, he was coveted. 

and you might think that daddy Ballard's opinion is the end all be all, or you might get grounded, but there are 32 other NFL GMs about 10 of which actively have accomplished more. 

but your BDB knows best huh 

We have a different idea of what "coveted" means. 

He has been unsigned for like 6 months.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont agree with Chris Ballards detractors.......but I still understand my opinion is meaningless. 

There are people on here who actually suggest Chris Ballard doesnt care........while implying they care more than he does. Cmon man lol

my point to a T..

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

because it's hypocritical. he's on here saying a fan's opinion doesn't matter. okay? great. we are all fans on here posting our opinion. if you don't understand why it's distasteful, or an easy out then lets agree to disagree.

personally, I think it's just a blanket statement meant to indent to hush up someone who is saying they would do something different. everyone on here has an opinion, including the dingus these other posts on here bashing someone for having an opinion.

by default, his post saying fan opinions don't matter, doesn't matter. 

that's the point, and I'm not mad. i just think its gross how yall are on here bashing on 1 or two posters and its being allowed. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

We have a different idea of what "coveted" means. 

He has been unsigned for like 6 months.

by choice. 

• Like 2

Just now, AKB said:

because it's hypocritical. he's on here saying a fan's opinion doesn't matter. okay? great. we are all fans on here posting our opinion. if you don't understand why it's distasteful, or an easy out then lets agree to disagree.

personally, I think it's just a blanket statement meant to indent to hush up someone who is saying they would do something different. everyone on here has an opinion, including the dingus these other posts on here bashing someone for having an opinion.

that's the point, and I'm not mad. i just think its gross how yall are on here bashing on 1 or two posters and its being allowed. 

no bashing 

Just saying the Colts main men will do what they think is best.

There is 15 pages of this nonsense like it's going to change their minds. 

I'm just going to sit back and watch.  

1 minute ago, AKB said:

But we are on here criticizing professionals in a field none of us are experts in........so why cant we criticize each other for something we all are doing? Nobody is above it.

Ive said it before, that negative energy is toxic and if youre gonna constantly put it out there you are gonna receive it in return, guaranteed. Its how the universe works. Its inevitable.

Just now, tfunky14 said:

no bashing 

Just saying the Colts main men will do what they think is best.

There is 15 pages of this nonsense like it's going to change their minds. 

I'm just going to sit back and watch.  

sorry funky, im talking about a few posters in that, not just one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

But we are on here criticizing professionals in a field none of us are experts in........so why cant we criticize each other for something we all are doing? Nobody is above it.

Ive said it before, that negative energy is toxic and if youre gonna constantly put it out there you are gonna receive it in return, guaranteed. Its how the universe works. Its inevitable.

i didn't read this whole thread, but ill be honest the last few pages are kinda gross tbh, and I'm not even on here to debate simmons. i knew ballard would do nothing, so why come on here to get bashed 5v1? 

that's why so many posters' don't even come on here to complain about ballard anymore. 

but if you're gonna block someone, then block them. why make it a post ? for likes? for %s and giggles? it's just gross to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AKB said:

Some things necessitate calling out.  Sorry for offending.

• Like 2

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Some things necessitate calling out.  Sorry for offending.

nah dingus i don't think so, and you know we've never had an issueon here but I don't think that's called for dingus

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

i didn't read this whole thread, but ill be honest the last few pages are kinda gross tbh, and I'm not even on here to debate simmons. i knew ballard would do nothing, so why come on here to get bashed 5v1? 

that's why so many posters' don't even come on here to complain about ballard anymore. 

but if you're gonna block someone, then block them. why make it a post ? for likes? for %s and giggles? it's just gross to me. 

Idk I just wonder what people expect? 

I have never blocked anyone on here, but I get it. 

• Like 1

no one on here is correct all the time, and this is one of the very few places a fan can come on here and complain about his team where other people will actually understand what they are talking about. we don't have to agree with everything someone says but cmon yall we shouldn't be doing that unless they are being profane or nasty tbh much love to yall this is my fav board

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, AKB said:

5v1. ???

Sorry, don’t know this one.  Can you please educate me?   

19 hours ago, krunk said:

On some of these reports I think the media is full of it. Talking about people getting burnt and then later on mentioning there was no pass rush. It was 7 on 7 where the QB can just sit there all day and take his time to throw. Other stuff where fine details are left out.

I think fans are concerned with the way the secondary was torched for 200 yards by Nico of the Texans in a critical game which would have gotten us into the playoffs.

I don't think anyone takes pre-season practice sessions seriously.

On a different note, the QBs and WR's in this division have gotten alot stronger.

Houston has added Diggs, Metchie, and Tank Dell

Jax has added Brian Thomas Jr. and Gabe Davis

Of course Indy has a healthy AR and added AD

What will Levis be remains an unknown but they added Ridley who now pairs with Hopkins.

Very quickly the AFC South has become a very strong passing division so the secondary is a concern.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, your question. And I'm absolutely certain that you know we have the money to "afford" anyone, and that included Snead. So that made no sense.

I answered your question in the first paragraph.  And then spelled out what must be the thinking in house. 

I think Ballard's thinking is very flawed at outside CB. But it's a Team defense so lol.

Not trying to be combative, and I think we’re saying the same thing in different ways. 

Ballard did not bring anyone in that we could afford to improve the secondary.  Thats fact.  So in essence he’s betting on the guys we have.   

We (and just about everyone who watches football) think that there were several guys out there better than who we have starting or could improve depth.  Ballard apparently doesn’t feel that way.  

How am I wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ADnum1 said:

I think fans are concerned with the way the secondary was torched for 200 yards by Nico of the Texans in a critical game which would have gotten us into the playoffs.

I don't think anyone takes pre-season practice sessions seriously.

On a different note, the QBs and WR's in this division have gotten alot stronger.

Houston has added Diggs, Metchie, and Tank Dell

Jax has added Brian Thomas Jr. and Gabe Davis

Of course Indy has a healthy AR and added AD

What will Levis be remains an unknown but they added Ridley who now pairs with Hopkins.

Very quickly the AFC South has become a very strong passing division so the secondary is a concern.

I look at the entire game though. What happens if we could do anything other than run the football in that game? Minshew was terrible and I do believe we missed a field goal somewhere in there. I thought the lack of offense was just as big..

Ballard is banking on two things. I think he is banking on the young guys improving, and he is banking on the upgraded D Line.. I like Blackmon and Cross at safety. I think we could upgrade on Rodney Thomas, but if we don't I think he could be a pretty good backup if Cross gets hurt.  I like JuJu Brent's. I was more prepared for Flowers pre- injury to be the starter, but Jones had several good snaps out there last year against good WR and he is healthy. Now my personal opinion on Jones is he is a back up. It wouldnt shock me to see a healthy Flowers to get the spot back. Or Jaylon Simpson to grab it.

With things as they are currently situated I like Flowers as depth assuming he gets back in the flow of things.  Of course I like Kenny at Nickel and so far Abraham looks like a decent pick. I think we will be okay depending on how Ballard structures our depth and that we scheme things up to play towards these guys strengths. I'm still waiting on some of Ballards last moves when cuts are made. I need to see who he adds before I'm all the way sure.

• Like 3

I think we can get away with some of the guys we have pretty much bc it's zone/zone mirror/match coverage. Not much man played other than stuff that looks like man but it isn't.  Guys just have to be disciplined and not bust on their zone drops, reads and what not. Thats how you get the Nico Collins stuff, not necessarily bc guys are inferior athletes. We would be more in trouble if we played a lot of man. We don't though. Ballard probably understands that some of the big passing days against the D came as a result of assignment busts and what not. Now that guys have been in the scheme for a while the execution should be better. I'm speculating.

• Like 1

Maybe now that all the FA Free safeties are gone, I would believe that Ballard and company are reviewing all of the really good defensive teams and will approach with a deal for future  X round pick or wait for the cut list and put in claims for the chosen one 

Someone out there has too many good or perceived good players that we can snatch up if needed 

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Even if we go 0-17, Ballard has one more year after this I think. 

14 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Maybe now that all the FA Free safeties are gone, I would believe that Ballard and company are reviewing all of the really good defensive teams and will approach with a deal for future  X round pick or wait for the cut list and put in claims for the chosen one 

Someone out there has too many good or perceived good players that we can snatch up if needed 

There’s plenty of FA FS out there…

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Even if we go 0-17, Ballard has one more year after this I think. 

There’s plenty of FA FS out there…

you really think he would be retained on a winless season? i think this is probably a bit of hyperbole. but I do think we need to produce something this year. at least .500 *which has been just fine for ballard over the last half decade+

33 minutes ago, AKB said:

you really think he would be retained on a winless season? i think this is probably a bit of hyperbole. but I do think we need to produce something this year. at least .500 *which has been just fine for ballard over the last half decade+

I think he gets another year if they show they are competitive. But no- a winless start and he’s fired by Thanksgiving at the latest, imo. It would be heads turning. I don’t expect anything like that to happen.