Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wide Receivers are getting paid!

NFLfan

The Texans sign Nico Collins to a three-year contract extension, totaling $72 million. That comes after voiding years from Diggs' contract, making him a free agent after this year and paying him $22+ million this year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-signing-wr-nico-collins-to-three-year-72-5-million-extension#:~:text=Nico Collins' breakout season in,max value of %2475 million.

Calvin Ridley signed a 4-year contract with the Titans for $92 million. Too much.

Mike Evans got paid well (2 years, $52 million), but he deserves it. He has played for the same team his whole career and helped them win a Super Bowl. Future HOFer.

Justin Jefferson will get extended too, but it may be for well over $30 million/year. Too much.

Personally, wouldve waited to pay him.  He had one full good year of production.  But maybe something works out for the team where paying him now benefits them.

but yeah, as said above, that’s the new market.  Wide receivers are among the premium positions in the nfl.  

getting Michael Pittman for 3yrs/$70mill ($46 mill guaranteed) seems like a VERY good deal now.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It’s the new market, and it’s not going to get cheaper. 

I wonder which team will overpay for Higgins next offseason. Probably the Titans or Browns if I had to guess. 

7 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Personally, wouldve waited to pay him.  He had one full good year of production.  But maybe something works out for the team where paying him now benefits them.

$24 million a year for Collins seems excessive for someone who had only one good year.

Every year there are many great WRs in the draft. I preferred trading Jefferson and perhaps drafting a younger version of him (such as Nabers.) If we re-sign Jefferson, great. But for $35 million a year?? That is excessive. 

I wonder how much Keenan Allen is getting. He is a reliably good player.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

$24 million a year for Collins seems excessive for someone who had only one good year.

Every year there are many great WRs in the draft. I preferred trading Jefferson and perhaps drafting a younger version of him (such as Nabers.) If we re-sign Jefferson, great. But for $35 million a year?? That is excessive. 

I wonder how much Keenan Allen is getting. He is a reliably good player.

-  yeah, I’m all for signing your own, but as said, one good year of production.  Idk, maybe the Texans feel how most colts fans feel about AP, and that it was the lack of qb pay.  But personally, I’m not paying a WR that kind of money if his talents are THAT dependent upon a very good qb.

- yeah, Jefferson is going to get paid but I wouldn’t stress it too much.  You guys are in position to do so.  The qb is on a rookie deal and y’all have 4 more years of Addison on his rookie deal.  I wouldn’t be worried about it myself

- Keenan Allen is getting $23million this year. Which isn’t bad for his services at his age.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, smittywerb said:

but yeah, as said above, that’s the new market.  Wide receivers are among the premium positions in the nfl.  

getting Michael Pittman for 3yrs/$70mill ($46 mill guaranteed) seems like a VERY good deal now.  

I think the reason to pay him now are these…. 

Houston believes in their QB and Collins as well.  He got 3/72.75.    So $24.25m per year.  

Wait one more year and the contract for Collins might be closer to 4/105-110.   More?    Might as well bite the bullet while you have a more manageable number.  

Just thinking out loud….

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the reason to pay him now are these…. 

Houston believes in their QB and Collins as well.  He got 3/72.75.    So $24.25m per year.  

Wait one more year and the contract for Collins might be closer to 4/105-110.   More?    Might as well bite the bullet while you have a more manageable number.  

Just thinking out loud….

yeah that’s true and makes sense.  I hope it blows up in their face lol.  Screw them.  Let them spend the money.  I hate how long it took, but if AR is what we think he is, we are in such a good situation to keep building this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is why I wasn’t worried about what Pittman got before long it’s going to look like a bargain.  

It does look like a bargain for WR1 role for us, though a lot of folks would argue he is WR1.5 or WR2 at best.

Amon-Ra St. Brown and Nico Collins show Pittman is paid just right. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It does look like a bargain for WR1 role for us, though a lot of folks would argue he is WR1.5 or WR2 at best.

Amon-Ra St. Brown and Nico Collins show Pittman is paid just right. 

I’ve been among the many here who have thought of Pitt as a WR1.5.   

That said with our new and improved WR room, I find myself very curious as to what the next few years may look like for Pitt.   We may see a jump with defenses less able to smother him.  

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Too much.

I don’t get why WRs are so expensive. I know they are important to the offense but we see at least a handful of great young talent enter the league every draft. At some point teams will start dumping great WRs and drafting new ones to save themselves from paying $25+m year contracts. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t get why WRs are so expensive. I know they are important to the offense but we see at least a handful of great young talent enter the league every draft. At some point teams will start dumping great WRs and drafting new ones to save themselves from paying $25+m year contracts. 

Exactly. I wanted the Vikes to trade Jefferson. I think being careful not to overpay is important in football. I guess that is why I like Ballard. He does not jump and pay the shiniest free agent all this money. He believes in rewarding his own players.

The only reason I would pay Jefferson is because he has been in our organization and we know him. I prefer paying players who have been with the team and have been good players and good citizens (stays out of trouble, are team players, etc.)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Vikes just signed JJ to 4 years and $140m. 

How do you feel about that @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai?

Cool... The Earlier the better, lol

He earns the pay day, and that's better than paying more money to Kirk... Now on to finding what the other JJ could do, and on to finding the next true franchise QB if he's not that guy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Vikes just signed JJ to 4 years and $140m. 

How do you feel about that @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai?

That is about how much I heard he might get. I am glad it is over and we are not waiting for the other shoe to drop (leave in FA or choose not to play).

Now, all the pressure is on him to perform

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

That is about how much I heard he might get. I am glad it is over and we are not waiting for the other shoe to drop (leave in FA or choose not to play).

Now, all the pressure is on him to perform

IMO, he is the best WR in the league so I seen this coming. Question is, do you have the QB to get him the ball. With this guy The Original Series GIF by Star Trek, you did. I am still not high on McCarthy at all. If he pans out, I will eat crow. If he can't at least look better than average with Jefferson, then you know there is a problem. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, he is the best WR in the league so I seen this coming. Question is, do you have the QB to get him the ball. With this guy The Original Series GIF by Star Trek, you did. I am still not high on McCarthy at all. If he pans out, I will eat crow. If he can't at least look better than average with Jefferson, then you know there is a problem. 

Someone will get JJ the ball. Cousins did not make JJ who he was. He played well with all the QBs we played last year. That should continue this year.

Cousins' time with us is done. It will be okay.

This contract makes me think about the other receivers who will now get contracts and how are the teams going to go about it:

Jamarr Chase:  he’s definitely getting $28million or more.  I don’t see Higgins staying unless there are numerous reworks and pay cuts from other teammates.  I’m sure Boyd and Burton will be their WR2 and WR3 in the future.  Bengals will definitely pick up his 5th year option, but what will happen in 2026?

CeeDee Lamb:  he’s getting paid also.  He’s gotten better every year and last year was a MONSTER year for him.  Let’s see what Jerry does.  He has Dak and Ceedee to pay and both are going to command some big contracts.  

seems like aiyuk is the last one because I’m pretty sure anyone else will either have their 5th year option picked up or have gotten paid.

props to Ballard for getting Pittman paid before the top dogs like JJ set the market.  

On 5/31/2024 at 5:55 PM, Solid84 said:

And you can’t really hit them when they come over the middle anymore. 

• Like 2

Ceedee Lamb is expected to skip mandatory minicamp.

once again, gotta give it to Ballard.  MPJ at $24mill/yr is looking very good.  Especially if he opens up that deep game.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

WRs getting paid is all Fine and Dandy, but they still gotta WORK!!!

Whereas...

Is it weird I’m happy for him? He seemed like a broken man last year after the loss to us. 

• Like 1

Heard something interesting on the radio where someone said they feel like the WRs will become the new RBs.  Meaning that, their salaries will eventually decrease because it will be easier to replace them with young cheap talent from the draft instead of resigning them to increasing amounts of money.  How do you all feel about that prediction?

myself, I am 50/50 on it.  I do agree, that college is pumping out more and more WR talent every year.  However, I think when it comes to WRs and RBs and their situations when it comes to contracts, the situations differ.  RBs are becoming expendable because of the positions shelf life.  It sucks that by a certain age, RBs are beaten and battered and more often than not their production takes a hit.  But with the rules favoring offense, that is not the case for WRs most of the time.  For example, we just seen Keenan Allen who +30 get signed for good money.  

Now, with WRs, I think it’s case by case when it comes to getting paid and replacing the talent with a draft pick.  For example, I do not see the bengals paying Higgins.  It would be better for them to let him walk, draft a WR high (if they want to) and go with Chase, Boyd, and the draft pick.  The situations for retaining a WR differ from team to team, but it isn’t about shelf life majority of the time.  It comes down to if that WR is producing at a certain level, can that production be replaced through the draft, and/or can the team afford to let that talent leave the org.

So no, I don’t think WRs will take a hit when it comes to pay, but they will pay what they weigh.  I don’t see the WR market turning into the QB market where even mediocre QBs can obtain a good pay day, but they will get paid due to the relationship they have with the most important position in the league, QB.

• Like 1

Is Jalen Waddle or Davonte Smith worth it as a 2 ?

To win 2 playoff games you need a complete offensive package including a Really good QB and very good game caller. 

A pile of the highest paid, soon to be highest paid WR's either didn't win a playoff game or won only one. 

I'm very excited with our game caller,, where we are at with 3 WR's, 2 slots, 4 TE's. With a very solid run game we can keep defenses stretched.

Can AR hit tight windows and not turn the ball over? IMO he will get there.

WR's? It is just something to watch over the next couple years to see if colleges can crank out 25 WR's a year that are 3rd rd grade or higher. If so it would change strategies.

58 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Is Jalen Waddle or Davonte Smith worth it as a 2 ?

To win 2 playoff games you need a complete offensive package including a Really good QB and very good game caller. 

A pile of the highest paid, soon to be highest paid WR's either didn't win a playoff game or won only one. 

I'm very excited with our game caller,, where we are at with 3 WR's, 2 slots, 4 TE's. With a very solid run game we can keep defenses stretched.

Can AR hit tight windows and not turn the ball over? IMO he will get there.

WR's? It is just something to watch over the next couple years to see if colleges can crank out 25 WR's a year that are 3rd rd grade or higher. If so it would change strategies.

I think you answered your own question, which is also my answer.  It depends on the QB.  I think waddle is worth it, but tua has his limitations.  I mean, the big question Miami is facing right now is if tua is worth paying.  Regarding smith, I’d say so also.  The eagles were just in the SB 2 seasons ago and I’d honestly put their downfall last season on losing Steichen and Sirrianni getting exposed for his own limitations.

If you don’t have a Pat Mahomes, then in today’s league you essentially need a WR1 and fringe WR1 as your WR2.  A prime example of the flip side of having the QB but not the receivers is Lamar Jackson.  Multiple time MVP and has yet to reach a SB.  His best receiving option is a TE.  Heck, even Pat Mahomes struggled this year without having the talent at WR but he also is Pat Mahomes and has Andy Reid as his coach 

On 6/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, smittywerb said:

Heard something interesting on the radio where someone said they feel like the WRs will become the new RBs.  Meaning that, their salaries will eventually decrease because it will be easier to replace them with young cheap talent from the draft instead of resigning them to increasing amounts of money.  How do you all feel about that prediction?

Good post.

I have thought this for at least six or so years. I thought it would have happened by now but WRs are getting paid almost like QBs now. So, you may be right. QBs are valued and having great weapons enables them to be more successful.

I also thought teams would begin to select WRs lower in the draft, the way RBs are, but that has not happened. In fact, it seems that WRs are being drafted earlier in the draft. This year, three WRs were drafted in the top 10 and at least one other was drafted in the first round.

I still think the value of WRs may drop because there are so many talented WRs coming out of college every year, but it may not happen yet.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:33 AM, RollerColt said:

Man. These guys are living in a whole different universe compared to me. 

crazy right... why didn't we become NFL WR's?

Or Professional Athletes in general?

Or actors?

Heck tick toc/instagram "influencers"

My dumb self thought IT was gonna be a good field. 😂 every month my "cash flow" just seems to shrink

If I get to do it all over again. I want momma to make me 10 inches taller, and a body build that can handle about 80 more pounds.