Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

We need explosion.  Trade pick 15 and 46 to ATL for pick 8, and pick the most explosive guy on the board.  Don't settle for what's left at 15.

I would love to have Mitchell or bowers at 8.

But we have to stop with the fantasy. 

Ballard will never trade up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Which teams ahead of us might take bowers? Some teams picked up a te in FA so I feel like we have a better shot to get him now. I’m hoping he falls to us somehow. 

The team I kept hearing initially was the Chargers at five once Harbaugh was hired.

12 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I would love to have Mitchell or bowers at 8.

But we have to stop with the fantasy. 

Ballard will never trade up

Likely not.  But think of this.  This is the first time that I can remember where Ballard has (finally) acknowledged that we need to be more explosive.  I think he's always talked about stuff other than that when it comes to personnel.  Also, Irsay has been floating a desire to have stars on the team, and laughed at Ballard jokingly saying how much he loves more draft picks....kinda like deep down Irsay doesn't totally agree with Ballard on his strictly analytical/conservative approach.   Irsay liked his TY, his JT, his Luck, and wanted another QB over a more analytical way that Ballard may have approached those situations.   

If Ballard thinks he's dropped a bit in Irsay's eyes, he might be thinking about things a little differently.  Just tea leave reading that's probably totally off, but sometimes when the landscape seems slightly different than in the past, that's when something different is more likely to happen.

If he traded up, I would not be nearly as surprised this year than past years.  But, they would have to love one player above all others to do that, of course.  It would have to be one of the positional players standing out from the rest, I would think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think there is a stronger chance of trading up from #46, into late 1st or early 2nd.

Yeah, I don't know that this year's draft lends itself to trading up from 15.  Seems like a decent Corner or WR will still be there.  My thoughts are that if Ballard really likes an EDGE or Bowers he could pull the trigger.  Possibly could love one WR over the others.  Overall, there probably aren't very many positional players that separate themselves from others to justify it.

My point is, I don't think that the typical "Ballard never trades up" (in the first round) would be the reason he doesn't do it this year.  

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I done follow draft very much except for some big names. Are there any CB that could be there at 46 so colts could go offense at 15. Just makes me sick we might pass on an elite pass catcher. 

Cam Hart comes to mind. Max Melton too, just to name a couple. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I done follow draft very much except for some big names. Are there any CB that could be there at 46 so colts could go offense at 15. Just makes me sick we might pass on an elite pass catcher. 

I would say 1st round heavy, light in round 2, heavy in round 3 and 4.

If they're gonna not draft a corner in first round, zone specific corners could be drafted in rounds 2 or 3, may be early day 3. 

You need to get back to be the fly on Ballard's wall and find out how Colts Big Board looks like and who they'd draft in round 1.

Unless TJ Tampa or Ennis Rakestraw are there, the 2nd round isn't good value for a CB.

The 2nd and 3rd round are AMAZING value for WR however. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Unless TJ Tampa or Ennis Rakestraw are there, the 2nd round isn't good value for a CB.

The 2nd and 3rd round are AMAZING value for WR however. 

I think there is going to be a huge run at WR before we get to 46. That’s why I really want to go pass catcher first. We haven’t had this opportunity in the first round for offense and I think they need to take advantage. Especially when 4 QB are probably going top 5 or 6. Then you will have OT. Going to be some amazing offensive pass catchers at 15.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If they're gonna not draft a corner in first round, zone specific corners could be drafted in rounds 2 or 3, may be early day 3. 

You need to get back to be the fly on Ballard's wall and find out how Colts Big Board looks like and who they'd draft in round 1.

I am done posting that stuff. Getting tired of the snide comments. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:08 AM, DougDew said:

Yeah, I don't know that this year's draft lends itself to trading up from 15.  Seems like a decent Corner or WR will still be there.  My thoughts are that if Ballard really likes an EDGE or Bowers he could pull the trigger.  Possibly could love one WR over the others.  Overall, there probably aren't very many positional players that separate themselves from others to justify it.

My point is, I don't think that the typical "Ballard never trades up" (in the first round) would be the reason he doesn't do it this year.  

I am not sure if Ballard will ever depart from viewing wr as an add on position. That is inline with Bill Walsh and look what Reid has done in KC by trading Hill. Yes, he has an elite qb, but I think the Colts view Richardson's skill set in the same mold as Mahommes. If Richardson can become what they hope he can be, I think they will continue to add wr's in the later rounds. The qb makes the wrs and not vice a versa. I am willing to roll with the current group at TE and WR. I really think this team needs a legit  DE and corner. This defense is not good and I think it is a talent issue. They  need a legit pass rusher besides Buckner and they are hard to come by. I would be all in on Sneed if he checks out medically and then go best player available at 15 no matter who that is. I also believe we need a true safety to patrol the back end as he is not on this team. I wouldn't even be surprised if they went safety at 15

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think there is going to be a huge run at WR before we get to 46. That’s why I really want to go pass catcher first. We haven’t had this opportunity in the first round for offense and I think they need to take advantage. Especially when 4 QB are probably going top 5 or 6. Then you will have OT. Going to be some amazing offensive pass catchers at 15.

That's very likely. I'm not sure how Ballard views the value of WR at #15 if the big 3 and Bowers are gone. I've been going back and forth recently on BTJ. If the pick is WR, I would expect a trade back first.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am done posting that stuff. Getting tired of the snide comments. 

I was only joking about finding out the big board, it'll be a suspense this year as it could go any number of positions and players. As for those comments, don't read much into anything, just post whatever you like. If you don't, I understand.. 

On 3/21/2024 at 12:14 AM, GoColts8818 said:

The team I kept hearing initially was the Chargers at five once Harbaugh was hired.

One report from the talking heads have the JETS taking Bowers

Who knows

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Gotta go offense with this pick since Ballard refuses to help out the secondary. The team will have to score near 30ppg to stand a chance lol.

I would go offense  any way as I don't  trust Bradley would  use the cb right anyway 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:01 PM, stitches said:

Yes both are WRs. 

Mitchell is prototypical X receiver with a lot of speed. He's tall, big, explosive, fast... ran 4.34 40 at 6'2 205lbs. 

Worthy is the guy that beat the all time 40 record at the combine - 4.21... He's more of a Z/slot type... has shiftiness and YAC ability in addition to ability to go deep. He's small though... 5'8 166 or whatever....

Brian Thomas is probably the best of them... IMO he can line up pretty much everywhere. He's somewhat overlooked because he played with Malik Nabers but Thomas was really productive too... had 17TDs and about 1200 yards receiving this last season. He's big 6'3" 210 and ran 4.33 too.. He was probably the best deep threat receiver in college last year. 

Thomas and the Oregon  wr were the best deep threats

51 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Thomas and the Oregon  wr were the best deep threats

I just recently watched Jermaine Burton... He's amazing downfield too... I think he's a player who's a bit under the radar right now, but looks very intriguing to me. His Y/R were insane this year(over 20) and have been very high for 4 years running now... There seem to be some character/attitude concerns with him so no idea if the Colts will be interested but he might be the best receiver tracking the ball downfield and he has great hands and ballskills. 

I think it’s interesting they’ve been scouting Worthy and Mitchell hard. Neither of those guys are worth the 15th overall in my opinion. Precaution if they trade back? Trade up target from the 2nd round?

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not sure if Ballard will ever depart from viewing wr as an add on position. That is inline with Bill Walsh and look what Reid has done in KC by trading Hill. Yes, he has an elite qb, but I think the Colts view Richardson's skill set in the same mold as Mahommes. If Richardson can become what they hope he can be, I think they will continue to add wr's in the later rounds. The qb makes the wrs and not vice a versa. I am willing to roll with the current group at TE and WR. I really think this team needs a legit  DE and corner. This defense is not good and I think it is a talent issue. They  need a legit pass rusher besides Buckner and they are hard to come by. I would be all in on Sneed if he checks out medically and then go best player available at 15 no matter who that is. I also believe we need a true safety to patrol the back end as he is not on this team. I wouldn't even be surprised if they went safety at 15

JMO.

I think the absence of Hill changed KCs offense pretty dramatically.  With Hill, they never seemed to worry about moving the ball methodically because they had big chunk plays.  When Hill left KCs offense became more methodical and Pechenko got tough yards...and Mahomes would convert critical 3rd downs with his legs.  If it wasn't for Pechenko over Hillier (sp?) and the better defense, KC would not have won as many games after Hill left.  In fact, KC struggled some in the regular season...unlike when they had Hill...but Mahomes got very hot in the playoffs.  Not to mention some of the other would be contenders folded like paper tigers against KCs defense.

If we roll with the current group of WRs, AR will have to play like Michael Jordan of the NFL....kind of like Mahomes has to do now.  And folks may like that brand of FB.  Fine, to each their own.  Its partly why I'm being a bit more drawn to teams like JAX and HOU because their great QBs limit themselves to playing QB very well, and aren't relied upon to be MJ...which is what I think many Colts fans expect and want.  Its why I don't like KC (and BAL), and I hope the Colts don't have an offense that is THAT QB dependent.  BUF has that too, but I donlt mind them so much because they donlt seem to win with it...I guess not a good enough running game or defense when it matters.  MJ destroyed the entertainment value of the NBA for me, and I hope the NFL doesn't go in that direction with its QBs.  The hype-train certainly will take it there if its not constantly deflated by more (reasonable?) fans.

I'm not saying we need a guy like Hill,  but if AP does not become a threat to break a big on most downs with AR as QB, then there needs to be a change.  I don't think we'll have a KC level defense any time soon...and don't give me stats to argue that we are close.

We do need a back end FS.  But, that FS can't just sit back there like a soccer goal keeper forcing the rest of the defense to defend the intermediate and short game with only 10 guys.  We've had that guy before.

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think it’s interesting they’ve been scouting Worthy and Mitchell hard. Neither of those guys are worth the 15th overall in my opinion. Precaution if they trade back? Trade up target from the 2nd round?

I was thinking the same thing, it makes me believe that a trade back is very possible. A couple very good players will probably drop to us at 15 and their are several teams in the low 20s that have very big needs (us included). I could see the Eagles, Steelers, Dolphins or Cowboys wanting to trade up to get a CB, DT, or Bowers, which could give us an extra 2nd/3rd and the maneuverability to be in position to get Worthy or Mitchell. 

I think we have alot of flexibility in this draft, because I really like the depth on our team.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I was thinking the same thing, it makes me believe that a trade back is very possible. A couple very good players will probably drop to us at 15 and their are several teams in the low 20s that have very big needs (us included). I could see the Eagles, Steelers, Dolphins or Cowboys wanting to trade up to get a CB, DT, or Bowers, which could give us an extra 2nd/3rd and the maneuverability to be in position to get Worthy or Mitchell. 

I think we have alot of flexibility in this draft, because I really like the depth on our team.

I could see both.

Trading back from #15 to #20-#25, get extra assets 

Trading up from  #46 to late 1st- early 2nd.

• Like 3

I think KC was the blue print for TN is doing now.  They morphed from a pass happy team to a run the ball throw to TE and play great D team.  

TN went from a power run team with a solid D to a pass happy team who is shoring up their D to play against pass happy teams as the AFC changes their weaponry.  

FO have to marry the changing environment with the coaches and roster faster than ever before.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I agree. I could see us trading back, but I also think Ballard could end up with having to make a tough choice. Example: Trade back or pick Bowers if available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree. I could see us trading back, but I also think Ballard could end up with having to make a tough choice. Example: Trade back or pick Bowers if available.

To me that's not a tough choice but I really like our TE group and not a Bowers fan. I would like to see Woods get a shot this year with Ogletree, Granson, and MAC as depth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

To me that's not a tough choice but I really like our TE group and not a Bowers fan. I would like to see Woods get a shot this year with Ogletree, Granson, and MAC as depth.

That’s fair. I think Bowers over the last 3 years is probably the biggest playmaker in the college football. At least top 3. I don’t care if he’s undersized, this guy makes stuff happen. I’d have a hard time passing on him even if a guy like Odunze was available too. 

I was wondering.  The Colts were reportedly trying to sign Danielle Hunter but lost out.  Hassan Reddick, same age, is available for trade.  A trade and extension would most certainly be on the table.  According to BR something less than a 1st would do it.  Since Ballard was trying for Hunter could he be pursuing Reddick now?

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was wondering.  The Colts were reportedly trying to sign Danielle Hunter but lost out.  Hassan Reddick, same age, is available for trade.  A trade and extension would most certainly be on the table.  According to BR something less than a 1st would do it.  Since Ballard was trying for Hunter could he be pursuing Reddick now?

It’s possible. I just think they’re too old (both Hunter and Reddick). I’d prefer a younger guy who could actually stay and grow with the team instead of a 1-2 year rental. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

That’s fair. I think Bowers over the last 3 years is probably the biggest playmaker in the college football. At least top 3. I don’t care if he’s undersized, this guy makes stuff happen. I’d have a hard time passing on him even if a guy like Odunze was available too. 

Yeah I get that take, I just feel he's too much WR who plays TE, that combined with his lack of participation in the combine and then being out due to injury at his pro day. I have an uneasy feeling that he's trying to hide deficiencies like Bryce Young last year, but that's the paranoia in me lol

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You should work on Wall Street with your public trader image. Lol.

On a real note, there is a chance I would suppose.

I think what I take from this off-season is, Ballard was looking to add a big fish or 2, wasn't able to bring in Hunter or Sneed(sucks we lost them to division rivals).  After that he just moved on to re-signing our key FAs and reevaluate the roster and remaining options on filling voids.