Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Realistically, 2024 would have to be a disaster for Ballard to be fired. And while some are really upset with the way the offseason has gone so far, I don't think the common belief is that 2024 will be a disaster.

I do think the stakes have changed, but 2025 is more likely to be the decision point, if things aren't looking better by then.

While I don’t expect a disaster (say 6 wins or less,) I see us being on the wrong end of a wild card race yet again. The frustration with the defense this season is going to be palpable.  

• Like 3

Back to Houston and Stroud.  If Stroud becomes what he looks like he will become while Richardson busts due to injury or poor play, 15 years from now, that decision is all Ballard will be remembered for.  It's his approach in general - sit back and take no risks.  Let it come to you.

Ballard's record - Leonard and Nelson looked like amazing picks at the time, but it was short-lived.  Ballard hit on Taylor, but even that turned into a mess.  There isn't much else to jump up and down about, honestly - a few nice picks here and there.  Not much success on the field either.  At some point, your record is what it is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

And to the bolded - he doesn't know guys he drafts either and most of the guys coming on the market in FA for the first time are guys they've scouted in college anyway.

he knows them better than free agents, even if they scouted them in college. Guys coming out of college can change their behavior once the money hits, even in a rookie contract. 

That concept is more about retaining guys you draft, that you come to know very well over the course of 4 years within your organization. It’s viewed as far less risk to sign those guys than someone you know little about. For example- resigning JT versus letting him go, starting over and possibly spending big on a receiver. They know JT and his influence on the locker room. They know his work ethic. They know if they don’t reward the best guy on the team, after preaching for years that’s what you do, and go out and spend on a free agent no one internally knows, it could backfire in the locker room big time. 

• Like 1

Listening to a podcast and a great point was made. When is the process more important then results. The process is. Not working. You can’t trust the process when there have been zero results. It’s time to stop with the patience excuse. Wins and losses are the only thing that matters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

While I don’t expect a disaster (say 6 wins or less,) I see us being on the wrong end of a wild card race yet again. The frustration with the defense this season is going to be palpable.  

I'm frustrated in advance. I voiced my opinion on the defense when it was obvious that Bradley was coming back.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to a podcast and a great point was made. When is the process more important than results. The process is. Not working. You can’t trust the process when there have been zero results. It’s time to stop with the patience excuse. Wins and losses are the only thing that matters.

You mentioned earlier you think it’s a good roster, aside from secondary help. You’ve also said that you think AR and JT will have success running the ball, but teams won’t be able to stack the box due to AR’s arm. You have stated that you think the receivers can elevate their production with a qb like AR. If the secondary is improved (both in additions and more development with young guys) and those things come true, leading to success this fall… will you still say the process hasn’t worked? 

• Like 2

Just now, jvan1973 said:

100 percent. The Texans won't be in the AFCCG next year

BOLD. I like it… 

That looks really good on paper- but man, how can you balance the ego trip of that receiving room… especially if things turn south a game or two. What happens if the o-line gets in shambles or Stroud gets injured? Do they get along, or start pointing at Diggs for any drama that arises? 

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

didn't we hear similar about the browns many, many times?   This seems incredibly premature by those good folks at JPAFootball.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You mentioned earlier you think it’s a good roster, aside from secondary help. You’ve also said that you think AR and JT will have success running the ball, but teams won’t be able to stack the box due to AR’s arm. You have stated that you think the receivers can elevate their production with a qb like AR. If the secondary is improved (both in additions and more development with young guys) and those things come true, leading to success this fall… will you still say the process hasn’t worked? 

If you had actually read what I said I also the secondary is so bad it might not matter how good the offense is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you had actually read what I said I also the secondary is so bad it might not matter how good the offense is. 

Hence the first sentence and second to last sentence of my post… You said the roster is good aside from the secondary, no? I asked if the secondary is improved, both in additions and more development from the current group, and this team has success this fall, will you say the process is not working? 

you have a wild way of side-stepping questions… 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They knew what I meant. They just never miss the opportunity to take a jab.

No, Chloe,  I didn’t know what I meant.  I wasn’t trying to mess with you.   

But worse Chloe,  I often think YOU don’t know what you mean, and that’s a problem.    Your views often change day to day.   But worse, on busy days, your views can change hour to hour.   And when it’s pointed out to you by numerous posters that you often flip-flop without any awareness,  you dismiss the issue like it’s no big deal.   

If I left this website and never posted here again, your credibility issue within the community would not go away.   Plenty of people have issues with your approach to posting.  You’ve brought this on yourself.   

I’ll stop now.   I don’t want to go a step too far.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hence the first sentence and second to last sentence of my post… You said the roster is good aside from the secondary, no? I asked if the secondary is improved, both in additions and more development from the current group, and this team has success this fall, will you say the process is not working? 

you have a wild way of side-stepping questions… 

Awkward Cricket GIF

@Restinpeacesweetchloe  

Where Are You Hello GIF by 1huddle

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, Chloe,  I didn’t know what I meant.  I wasn’t trying to mess with you.   

But worse Chloe,  I often think YOU don’t know what you mean, and that’s a problem.    Your views often change day to day.   But worse, on busy days, your views can change hour to hour.   And when it’s pointed out to you by numerous posters that you often flip-flop without any awareness,  you dismiss the issue like it’s no big deal.   

If I left this website and never posted here again, your credibility issue within the community would not go away.   Plenty of people have issues with your approach to posting.  You’ve brought this on yourself.   

I’ll stop now.   I don’t want to go a step too far.  

That wasn’t in response to you. So don’t quote me when it wasn’t about you.

There is nothing worse then blocking someone but constantly seeing their posts as they are always being quoted. 

I have only blocked a couple of people, who I believed were picking on myself, but now find it extremely ironic that one of them is labelling members as wolves for picking on someone.

If you are unsure who I am talking about, his nickname rhymes with smug poo

1 hour ago, Jason_ said:

didn't we hear similar about the browns many, many times?   This seems incredibly premature by those good folks at JPAFootball.

Over and over again. It’s always “the Brown’s year”. Law of averages of course will eventually make it true I guess…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Over and over again. It’s always “the Brown’s year”. Law of averages of course will eventually make it true I guess…

Well it hasn’t happened in the Super Bowl era so I guess they are really really really due.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to a podcast and a great point was made. When is the process more important then results. The process is. Not working. You can’t trust the process when there have been zero results. It’s time to stop with the patience excuse. Wins and losses are the only thing that matters.

Did we have a losing record last year or something? And how many of the Chiefs star players come from Free Agency? Last season or previous to that? They seem to follow the same model as Ballard. Difference is they've had the QB and the long term coach in place for a while now. We are just now getting those parts in place. Certainly we are not the only team that it's taken some time to get the right franchise QB in place. Same for the head coach as well. Neither of which is easy but it appears he learned from his mistakes and has made quality picks for QB and HC. I know you heard Ballard say they like their corners. It makes sense not to panic at the first signs of trouble with young corners. The staff has to let them play and take their lumps if they are sure the talent is there. Especially with all the injuries we had. You heard him say we had some issues at safety. He just resigned Blackmon just like you and I thought he would.  So there is your veteran signing! And I know you heard him say they are going to add more to it which I'm sure means most likely another safety and corner in the draft. Why are you pouting again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t think Buffalo is going to draft some new WR’s in about three weeks?   I think Allen is fine.   You think Buffalo made a move like this without talking to Allen?!?   

Ready!   Shoot!!!   Aim!!

Good luck getting a WR like Diggs. He is a top 5 WR in the league, it is not like they can easily replace him.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason he hasn’t been fired is that Irsay, himself a former GM, knows how hard the job is.  Decisions were made each year that Irsay signed off on.   Maybe it’s a good thing that Irsay has been patient, and not a bad thing as you implied.  

I understand patience but it does raise an important question. How many other GMs in the league or ones who were GMs when Ballard started in 2017 can have zero division titles and 2 playoff appearances and 1 win in 8 years and keep their jobs? Rick Spielman got 9 years in Minnesota and had AFC Championship games on his resume. Tom Telesco got 11 years with 3 playoff appearances going 2 playoff wins.

I understand that everyone wants to excuse him for 3-4 years because of the Andrew Luck retirement, but you can’t cry over spilled milk forever. It’s fair to say that Ballard does need to produce some results relatively soon. Especially considering in 2-3 years you’ll have a lot of key pieces up for contracts and possibly eyeing retirement

-Ryan Kelly

-Braden Smith

-Quenton Nelson

-Deforest Buckner

-Michael Pittman

-Jonathan Taylor

if they’re not back and he hasn’t found replacements, you’re looking at another rebuild and then you’re back to square 1. I don’t think he’d get another 8 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good luck getting a WR like Diggs. He is a top 5 WR in the league, it is not like they can easily replace him.

I think Diggs USED TO BE a top-5 receiver in the league.   He may still be top 10 or 15 or 20.   I’m sure he’ll be highly motivated to play well.   He’ll want to show Buffalo they made a mistake.   And he’ll want to show Houston he’s worth a new better contract.    So I suspect he’ll have a very good first year.  

Let's what happens after that.   Diggs has now been traded twice.   He carries baggage everywhere he goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I understand patience but it does raise an important question. How many other GMs in the league or ones who were GMs when Ballard started in 2017 can have zero division titles and 2 playoff appearances and 1 win in 8 years and keep their jobs? Rick Spielman got 9 years in Minnesota and had AFC Championship games on his resume. Tom Telesco got 11 years with 3 playoff appearances going 2 playoff wins.

I understand that everyone wants to excuse him for 3-4 years because of the Andrew Luck retirement, but you can’t cry over spilled milk forever. It’s fair to say that Ballard does need to produce some results relatively soon. Especially considering in 2-3 years you’ll have a lot of key pieces up for contracts and possibly eyeing retirement

-Ryan Kelly

-Braden Smith

-Quenton Nelson

-Deforest Buckner

-Michael Pittman

-Jonathan Taylor

if they’re not back and he hasn’t found replacements, you’re looking at another rebuild and then you’re back to square 1. I don’t think he’d get another 8 years.

Kelly literally laughed at reports he wants to retire.   Smith?   Nelson?   Pittman?  Taylor?   I don’t know why these players are on your list.   They’re still young.   

And even if Ballard would’ve been fired by the other 31 GMs,  what does it matter?  Irsay still believes in him.   Isn’t that the only point that matters?   

Im on record as saying Ballard is tied to AR.    If that works, Ballard stays.  And if not,  Ballard is gone.   So, perhaps 1-3 years.   

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Diggs USED TO BE a top-5 receiver in the league.   He may still be top 10 or 15 or 20.   I’m sure he’ll be highly motivated to play well.   He’ll want to show Buffalo they made a mistake.   And he’ll want to show Houston he’s worth a new better contract.    So I suspect he’ll have a very good first year.  

Let's what happens after that.   Diggs has now been traded twice.   He carries baggage everywhere he goes. 

It is also the compensation the Bills got. All-around good for the Texans, All-around bad for the Bills. Bills fans are riled up tonight calling CBS sports radio.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kelly literally laughed at reports he wants to retire.   Smith?   Nelson?   Pittman?  Taylor?   I don’t know why these players are on your list.   They’re still young.   

And even if Ballard would’ve been fired by the other 31 GMs,  what does it matter?  Irsay still believes in him.   Isn’t that the only point that matters?   

Im on record as saying Ballard is tied to AR.    If that works, Ballard stays.  And if not Ballard is gone.   So, perhaps 1-3 years.   

I mean in Pittman’s he specifically took a three year deal rather than four year deal so he could get ANOTHER contract before he hits 30.  Talking about retirement for him in the next two to three years seems to be sensationalizing things to try to make a point sound better.

I know some fans don’t like hearing this but it really doesn’t matter if we think Ballard should be fired or not.  We don’t get a vote.  As you correctly pointed out It’s all about rather Irsay wants to fire him or not.  His is the only opinion on this that matters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im on record as saying Ballard is tied to AR.    If that works, Ballard stays.  And if not Ballard is gone.   So, perhaps 1-3 years.   

Those players are on my list because they’re all up for contracts soon. Kelly’s in the last year of his deal. Nelson is a UFA in 2027, same for Pittman. Smith is a UFA in 2026. I know he brought everyone back this time but the question is will he be able to again? Especially if AR and Raiman work out. My point is what will this team look like in 2-3 years? How long does Kelly really want to play. Same with Nelson. We’ve seen players play for 9-10 years and then retire more frequently now. 

In 2-3 years if we hit on AR and Rainman, this time will not be able to bring everyone back even if they want to stay. We could have needs at OL, corner, and Edge just like we did in 2017. This is a team that could be rebuilding in a few years. Even if AR works out, say in 2027 you’ve extended him and Raiman. Who will really be left who is likely to still be playing at a high level? And would Irsay trust Ballard for another “rebuild” even if we have the QB and LT this time? I think so but only if he’s made and won a few playoff games. Basically he needs to be Mike Tomlin. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I wouldn't say 2nd best but I will say as high as 4th. Chiefs, Ravens, and with a healthy Burrow Cincy are better. I have Houston pegged at 11 wins now no Matter how their draft goes. I think they are better than the Bills or Dolphins now. Damage was done today and there is no sugarcoating it. With a good draft, Colts could win 9 or 10 with AR back. I have the Jags the same.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Solid84 said:

They should've re-signed their own then spent 5 years trying to build up their team through the draft - much better approach... 🤦‍♂️

i agree the ballard method lol

• Like 1

This is pre-draft obviously but I see:

Texans 11-6

Colts 9-8

Jags 9-8

Titans 6-11

AR is an upgrade over Minshew and should be better but the schedule is tougher and the AFC will even be Better. Steelers and Chargers will be better than last year, Jets as well if Rodgers stays healthy. With a great draft, the Colts could win 10. Bringing everyone back will at least give us solid chemistry. We need a playmaker/difference maker at WR with that 15th pick.

Texans have a 1st place schedule so I can't see them winning more than 11 but 11 will win the South.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Those players are on my list because they’re all up for contracts soon. Kelly’s in the last year of his deal. Nelson is a UFA in 2027, same for Pittman. Smith is a UFA in 2026. I know he brought everyone back this time but the question is will he be able to again? Especially if AR and Raiman work out. My point is what will this team look like in 2-3 years? How long does Kelly really want to play. Same with Nelson. We’ve seen players play for 9-10 years and then retire more frequently now. 

In 2-3 years if we hit on AR and Rainman, this time will not be able to bring everyone back even if they want to stay. We could have needs at OL, corner, and Edge just like we did in 2017. This is a team that could be rebuilding in a few years. Even if AR works out, say in 2027 you’ve extended him and Raiman. Who will really be left who is likely to still be playing at a high level? And would Irsay trust Ballard for another “rebuild” even if we have the QB and LT this time? I think so but only if he’s made and won a few playoff games. Basically he needs to be Mike Tomlin. 

in 2-3 years if we hit on AR and Raimann, we’re going to have a few very expensive players to pay… Which puts an even greater emphasis on drafting well and not making mistakes with large free agent contracts. There has to be talent coming through the pipeline on a consistent basis. Stacking drafts, per se. Ballard has drafted o-line and d-line every single draft since he’s been here. That won’t stop. 

also- Mike Tomlin is a coach…

and I’m not sure why people are still so obsessed with Tomlin. The Steelers have had “winning seasons” since he’s been there, but most of their fans will tell you how frustrating the last decade has been. They are 3-8 in the playoffs since losing the Super Bowl in the 2010 season. 5 straight losses.