Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

If the entire key to success s getting a QB, then its not rocket surgery to try to move heaven and earth to find one ASAP.

well- the owner and head coach have to be on that same page and that’s not the direction the organization chose to go… but sure, let’s put 100% blame on Chris Ballard

• Like 1

Just now, Stephen said:

Can't  wait to see the forum erupt when the Texans trade up for bowers

They just resigned Schultz to a solid deal.  Don’t see that happening especially since they don’t have a first round pick anymore 

• Like 2

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

well- the owner and head coach have to be on that same page and that’s not the direction the organization chose to go… but sure, let’s put 100% blame on Chris Ballard

I'm not blaming him, 100%.   I'm not choosing to blame it on others either.

Polian had the Colts in the national media AFCCG discussion throughout each of about 10 seasons beginning each September.  Under CB, the Colts have been so....yawn....they don't even register, unless JT busts off a few lucky long runs.

Just now, DougDew said:

Polian had the Colts in the national media AFCCG discussion throughout each of about 10 seasons beginning each September.  Under CB, the Colts have been so....yawn....they don't even register, unless JT busts off a few lucky long runs.

Lucky. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Can't  wait to see the forum erupt when the Texans trade up for bowers

Strange but I've read on this board where some Colts fans think Bowers is overrated 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I mean- you say Polian and what I see is what you mean to be Peyton Manning. 

that’s my argument. The only thing I’m arguing

Sometimes I wonder if this is even a colts forum. Majority of people are down on the owner, gm, coaches and players. Even if we don’t get the big splash signings I’m still ready for Colts football. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is even a colts forum. Majority of people are down on the owner, gm, coaches and players. Even if we don’t get the big splash signings I’m still ready for Colts football. 

im always ready for colts football. I’m ready to feel that blood pressure spike! 

Homer says: The laughing Emoji may be gone but the new and improved laughing Emoji is here, and he is laughing toward Ballard = chuckling homer simpson GIF. Diggs to Houston makes me want to puke. We never take any chances like that. Houston is my early pick to win the division, just keeping it real. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Diggs was a lot younger and better than.  Last year he was showing definite signs of regression and also exhibited classic Diggs drama about his lack of involvement in the offense even though they were winning games when he was downplayed in the offensive game plan.  

of course, he was the number one on the Bills and his role with Texans is likely different  as a number two

or maybe number three.  However, how will he take being relegated?  Who knows.  Can see either way.  Him

being awesome or a massive headache and not the worth the draft capital sent and money spent on him with him ushered out of Houston next offseason after he’s turned 31 (He’s 30 turning 31 this season)

that’s what makes the NFL fun.  Never know.  Could be awesome or could be Julio to the Titans.  Saw tons of whining about colts not getting in on it and turns out, he was washed.  

A couple of points about Diggs.

The Bills changed OCs in the middle of the season and yes Diggs numbers declined but so did the numbers of the entire WR Corp.

Also Diggs was injured at the end of last season but played through injury anyways.

Will this move help the Texans? I think it will and Diggs will only be 31 next season and he works wonders with young QBs.

Let's not forget that generally all number 1 CBs or WRs are divas

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And you always insist to me that you’re NOT anti-Ballard.   Hmmmm???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’ll reserve judgment until well after the draft when we have a better picture of what our roster looks like. I’m not hopeless like some are… 

That’s where I’m at right now. I’m not hopeless, BUT I am concerned about how well we will stack up when the season officially starts. To be continued…

• Like 1

We are now the only team returning 25 starters from a year ago.  Minschew was a backup who had to become the starter for the vast majority of the season.  With Minshew that team won 9 games and just missed the playoffs.  This year AR and JT return to start the season.  All the teams in the playoffs lost starters and teams with losing records lost starters.  The Colts lost no starters from a 9-8 team.   I think that leaves Ballard in a very good position entering the draft.  In the draft could he draft someone to replace Pierce, Jones, Paye, Woods?  Maybe.  But he isn’t forced too.  We will see how it works out.  For me returning all 25 starters is a very positive sign for the future.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

What are we supposed to be optimistic about? It’s been the same thing for 8 years. Fans are tired of bring average. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

The Texans go get Diggs. Ballard blabs on and on about how much a healthy Dulin will help us. 

What is funny is, the Texans didn't even give up that much to get him. Houston is the clear favorite to win the division now. On another note, the Bills FO has lost their marbles as well. They are getting rid of key players like crazy. I bet Josh is jovial = sarcastically, about playing for them at this point. If I was Josh, I would want out of there. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Polian is the best GM of all time.  A first ballot HoF GM.    But take a look at Polian’s last 5 years of drafting.  This is something @Superman first pointed out.  After great drafting for about 7 years Polian’s last five years were terrible.  Seriously,  look up “Colts all-time draft”.   You’ll be surprised at what you find.  

I don't necessarily think he's the best of all time, but we're splitting hairs there. Definitely one of the best. And his last five years were probably marred by his son Chris being heavily involved; Chris was technically the GM from 2009 to 2011, and it's hard to know where Bill ended and Chris began.

Bill Polian had some flaws, and was very stubborn, otherwise my opinion of him could be even higher than it is. Either way, definitely a great all time GM. 

And he'd probably be out of his depth in the modern NFL. Too rigid and stubborn, IMO. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, the Texans didn't even give up that much to get him. Houston is the clear favorite to win the division now. On another note, the Bills FO has lost their marbles as well. They are getting rid of key players like crazy. I bet Josh is jovial = sarcastically, about playing for them at this point. If I was Josh, I would want out of there. 

Diggs has probably been a pain in the butt for Josh Allen for over a year now, and judging from the second half of last season, Diggs might be over the hill. I doubt Allen has a problem with this move. If the Bills don't add to the WR room, that might be a problem. But Diggs leaving, not really.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

other posters have meaningful conversations and you blab on and on about the same thing.. 

You should ignore me instead of letting me live rent free in your head. 

Really missing the laughing emoji lol if ya'll saw me IRL you'd know laughing is about 90 percent of my life 🤣 so many funny posts i found myself saying "opps oh yeah i cant" 

Anyways i almost forgot to mention something about this thread.. so um I guess the Texans are getting their primetime games restored this year.... opening night dare I say?

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you always insist to me that you’re NOT anti-Ballard.   Hmmmm???

You still don't get it.  Like many, I think he'll do a good job from here.  I have hope that he's finally learned the importance of explosion vs pancakes.  But maybe not.

But unlike many, I'm not going to say that he will stink forever.  And unlike many, I'm not setting up to say how wonderful he has been all along because we finally win a SB 10 years after his hiring....like you probably will say.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You don’t think Buffalo is going to draft some new WR’s in about three weeks?   I think Allen is fine.   You think Buffalo made a move like this without talking to Allen?!?   

Ready!   Shoot!!!   Aim!!

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't necessarily think he's the best of all time, but we're splitting hairs there. Definitely one of the best. And his last five years were probably marred by his son Chris being heavily involved; Chris was technically the GM from 2009 to 2011, and it's hard to know where Bill ended and Chris began.

Bill Polian had some flaws, and was very stubborn, otherwise my opinion of him could be even higher than it is. Either way, definitely a great all time GM. 

And he'd probably be out of his depth in the modern NFL. Too rigid and stubborn, IMO. 

it is splitting hairs, I agree.. but I’m bored. We need the draft tomorrow- 3 more weeks? Ugh. 

I don’t think Chris was heavily involved. Maybe to argue with his dad a bit. But there’s no way he was making key decisions over his father. Like you said, he was too stubborn. 

I don’t dispute he’s an all-time great. But I do dispute that if Peyton F Manning was in his prime under center these last 8 years, we wouldn’t be bickering at one another… 

24 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

Oh I’m excited for the season..

What has Ballard really done to build excitement for the Colts season? Running it back with a non playoff team while other division rivals have looked to improve even after making the playoffs.

Should all Colts fans blindly cheer for the Owner, GM, and players when it seems they aren’t giving their best effort and we haven’t made the playoffs since 2020 and haven’t won our division since 2014!?

58 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Strange but I've read on this board where some Colts fans think Bowers is overrated 

Personally, I’ve never said he’s over-rated. 

The only negative comment I’ve ever made was after a poster called Bowers the best tight end in the history of college football.  I pushed back on that.   

I think Kellen Winslow and Tony Gonzalez are way better.   

• Like 1

Just now, Bravo said:

What has Ballard really done to build excitement for the Colts season? Running it back with a non playoff team while other division rivals have looked to improve even after making the playoffs.

Should all Colts fans blindly cheer for the Owner, GM, and players when it seems they aren’t giving their best effort and we haven’t made the playoffs since 2020 and haven’t won our division since 2014!?

Yes!!! All good fans must get in line and like whatever the Owner, GM, and players say or do.

• Like 2

Just now, stitches said:

Are we still talking about Polian or another Colts GM? 

It's not even close...

Ballard probably does come from the mold of the Polian-type of GMs -- heavily reliant on the draft, keep your own guys, resistant to free agency. But Polian was far more conservative in free agency and with trades than Ballard. 

But yeah, Ballard might be too rigid and conservative -- I wouldn't call him stubborn, not like Polian -- to get a team to the top of the modern NFL. Ballard's success would have to come from nailing the draft several years in a row, and having high level QB play. We know he's not going to Howie Roseman/Les Snead his way to contention.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Personally, I’ve never said he’s over-rated. 

The only negative comment I’ve ever made was after an ouster called Bowers the best tight end in the history of college football.  I pushed back on that.   

I think Kellen Winslow and Tony Gonzalez are way better.   

It was me. I was the one who said he's overrated. I don't think he's bad... but IMO he's more along the lines of a late 1st-2nd round type rather than the top 10 hype he seems to be getting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

The bolded is my problem.

It's one thing to say you don't like their strategy and don't think it will work. I think saying they aren't giving their best effort is a really, really bad take. JMO

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not even close...

Ballard probably does come from the mold of the Polian-type of GMs -- heavily reliant on the draft, keep your own guys, resistant to free agency. But Polian was far more conservative in free agency and with trades than Ballard. 

But yeah, Ballard might be too rigid and conservative -- I wouldn't call him stubborn, not like Polian -- to get a team to the top of the modern NFL. Ballard's success would have to come from nailing the draft several years in a row, and having high level QB play. We know he's not going to Howie Roseman/Les Snead his way to contention.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but yeah... I think Ballard is pretty rigid and stubborn. I don't think he's changed much of anything in his approach to roster building after 7 years as a GM despite not having tons of success with it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it is splitting hairs, I agree.. but I’m bored. We need the draft tomorrow- 3 more weeks? Ugh. 

I don’t think Chris was heavily involved. Maybe to argue with his dad a bit. But there’s no way he was making key decisions over his father. Like you said, he was too stubborn. 

I don’t dispute he’s an all-time great. But I do dispute that if Peyton F Manning was in his prime under center these last 8 years, we wouldn’t be bickering at one another… 

There's no way to know for sure, but I think Chris Polian's ascent in the front office coincides with a gradually lower quality of draft results. And there's no way Bill would have ever done anything to make his son look bad.

I definitely disagree with the bolded. There was just as much bickering on Colts boards between Colts fans from 2005 to 2011 as there is now.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but yeah... I think Ballard is pretty rigid and stubborn. I don't think he's changed much of anything in his approach to roster building after 7 years as a GM despite not having tons of success with it. 

Sure it was, but I almost made the connection to Ballard in my post to begin with. It's pretty obvious.

When I call Polian stubborn, though, I'm not talking about his team building. I'm talking about every aspect of his personality.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

A couple of points about Diggs.

The Bills changed OCs in the middle of the season and yes Diggs numbers declined but so did the numbers of the entire WR Corp.

Also Diggs was injured at the end of last season but played through injury anyways.

Will this move help the Texans? I think it will and Diggs will only be 31 next season and he works wonders with young QBs.

Let's not forget that generally all number 1 CBs or WRs are divas

Julio was coming off injury/playing through it.  I just don’t see it as a slam dunk.   Wide range of outcomes here including complete disaster 

47 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not the one being two fisted here.  When we start drafting well, and win playoff games, will we give Steichen the same amount of credit for success that we blamed Frank for failure?   No matter what percentage it is, its the same right?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Really though, for any team with a supposedly playoff ready roster, is giving up a 5th, a 6th, and next years low 2nd rounder anything more than peanuts?  Seems like there isn't much of a failure risk with the acquisition.

Bills must be doing a mild reset and figure Diggs is either too expensive or whiny to bother with.  Doesn't mean he'll be a problem for HOU.

This. The apologists act like the Texans gave up the farm for Diggs.

• Like 2