Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Could he have completed it for the Chiefs?  Then they forward it to the Colts.

It’s not tampering lol. A team can give permission because it’s contingent on a trade.  Anytime  a team who has a player under cotract gives permission. It’s not tampering.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They would still do it once it’s completed.  I don’t think the Chiefs would stick it to Ballard.  I think Ballard would trust them.  

No NFL team is going to just trust another team with that.  That’s not how it works.  It’s like buying a used car you are going to take it to your mechanic to look it over not just take the sellers word it’s fine.  It’s standard operating procedure to complete the trade pending the physical.  That’s how these things work in the NFL.  Ballard also isn’t going go take a short cut on a major investment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

No NFL team is going to just trust another team with that.  That’s not how it works.  It’s like buying a used car you are going to take it to your mechanic to look it over not just take the sellers word it’s fine.  It’s standard operating procedure to complete the trade pending the physical.  That’s how these things work in the NFL.  Ballard also isn’t going go take a short cut on a major investment.

That’s why the Colts would still do the physical.  It’s contingent on him passing a physical.  They have him complete a physical to reassure the Colts he can pass a physical.  If I was buying a car from a stranger I would take it to a mechanic.  If I was buying from a major dealer I wouldn’t.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Withtt the way Reggie announced on twitter about how we basically need to wait on Peirce and not judge him yet makes me think we won't be in on a WR in the first. I think it will be either Bowers or CB or edge player. If we got Sneed then it's edge or Bowers. Especially if Verse is still there.

Ballard gives a voice to his scouts and I am sure his coaches come making the final board. 

I would bet Reggie stood up for Pierce, and still is, and Ballard said he pounded the table in our Last draft for Downs. Yes that mattered.

An excellent QB doesn't require all great receivers. I could see Steichen believing he has plenty of TE weapons with the 5 we have now. Stashing one on injury to start the season is easy. 

And finding a rookie WR this season in round 3-4 or later isn't a challenge.

We have great options. Trust in Reggie.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AKB said:

i doubt we use our first rounder on a WR after paying pittman and drafting downs. maybe a 2nd

Of course, the same logic can be used to say we won’t take a cb in the 1st.  We paid Moore and drafted Brents.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s why the Colts would still do the physical.  It’s contingent on him passing a physical.  They have him complete a physical to reassure the Colts he can pass a physical.  If I was buying a car from a stranger I would take it to a mechanic.  If I was buying from a major dealer I wouldn’t.  

Yeah, I am not saying the Colts wouldn’t do a physical.  I am saying they would, they just can’t because of the CBA until the trade is announced.  There would be no reason for KC to do one.  

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Of course, the same logic can be used to say we won’t take a cb in the 1st.  We paid Moore and drafted Brents.

Moore doesn’t have an impact on the starting outside corner though,  he’s the slot guy.  That would be like saying well they extended Downs so need to draft an outside WR.

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The guy being mentioned handles the Colts contracts and making sure they fit under the cap.  The assumption is he made Sneed’s contract fit.  Time will tell if that’s what it means or not.

He is our Capolgist. Per Ballard he also negotiates the contracts. He also does the actuarial for our multi-year plan. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Moore doesn’t have an impact on the starting outside corner though,  he’s the slot guy.  That would be like saying well they extended Downs so need to draft an outside WR.

yeah I agree. I’ve thought the rumors of going hard after Sneed was an indictment on the possible level of concern they have of flowers returning to form. Which should be a concern for everyone, in my opinion. If he comes back strong- that is great no matter who is in the room. If he’s 3rd on the depth chart outside of Moore at the Nickel, that’s a really good thing for us. If he doesn’t come back, we better have something in place that isn’t what we had out there consistently last season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

almost... we paid pittman, drafted pierce, and drafted downs

the third player in the CB trio is a 7th rounder, not a 2nd rounder...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mike Chappell on his podcast said Blackmon was looking for top of the market safety money. With his injury history there is no way he is going to get it. He will probably get around 6 or 7 million.

I doubt he gets more than 3-4. He’s always injured, and hasn’t got the track record yet. Honestly, he’d be smart to sign a one year prove it deal and try again in ‘25. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My guess if it means anything the snag had to do with contract structure and fitting it in. Blume is colts cap guy.

To me it sounds like random twitter people faking inside knowledge and being cryptic, so if anything happens they will say they knew it and were right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Mike Chappell on his podcast said Blackmon was looking for top of the market safety money. With his injury history there is no way he is going to get it. He will probably get around 6 or 7 million.

He’s certainly not lacking in self esteem.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doesn’t Moore start outside when the Colts are in their base 4-3?   

That’s what I’ve read in the past.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doesn’t Moore start outside when the Colts are in their base 4-3?   

That’s what I’ve read in the past.  

Not really they do it in situations like when he took Ridley in the Jags game last year but the Colts almost always have three corners on the field as they really only play two linebackers the vast majority of the time.  

1 hour ago, AKB said:

almost... we paid pittman, drafted pierce, and drafted downs

the third player in the CB trio is a 7th rounder, not a 2nd rounder...

Perhaps….   But the key takeaway from Ballard’s year ender was to get more explosive.   On offense that would appear to be mostly WR.   

On defense that would seem more pass rush and likely a corner, but in what round?  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not really they do it in situations like when he took Ridley in the Jags game last year but the Colts almost always have three corners on the field as they really only play two linebackers the vast majority of the time.  

I understand the Colts are rarely in base defense.  But I think they are roughly 10-12 plays a game.  2-3 times a quarter.  

And I’ve read when we are, Moore plays outside.   I didn’t know that,  but read it here a few years back.  I think a Colts.com story.   Perhaps my memory is faulty on this?   Don't know what others here have read or seen.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand the Colts are rarely in base defense.  But I think they are roughly 10-12 plays a game.  2-3 times a quarter.  

And I’ve read when we are, Moore plays outside.   I didn’t know that,  but read it here a few years back.  I think a Colts.com story.   Perhaps my memory is faulty on this?   Don't know what others here have read or seen.  

They tried it when they first got him but quickly realized he’s frankly not that good at it.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They would still do it once it’s completed.  I don’t think the Chiefs would stick it to Ballard.  I think Ballard would trust them.  

You do physicals for the team that wants you not your old team. That’s how trades get bounced if x player fails physical for new team. Same rules apply to NBA. Caris LeVert failed a physical with the Pacers due to a tumor but the trade went thru because the Pacers accepted an additional draft pick

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps….   But the key takeaway from Ballard’s year ender was to get more explosive.   On offense that would appear to be mostly WR.   

On defense that would seem more pass rush and likely a corner, but in what round?  

i think he was talking about AR, or referenced AR a lot when going on that tangent. I think he too will want to see what Pierce looks like with AR instead of Minshew missing him 1-2 times per game deep

1 hour ago, AKB said:

i think he was talking about AR, or referenced AR a lot when going on that tangent. I think he too will want to see what Pierce looks like with AR instead of Minshew missing him 1-2 times per game deep

it’s possible he was leading teams to think one way or another to remain unpredictable- but also in the Ballard sense of “I told you exactly what I was going to do.” 

he said they wanted to get more explosive on offense and limit the explosive plays on defense. He’s talked about the receivers in the class, and many have taken the explosive comments to mean a receiver early. Who knows… If sneed ends up here, that would certainly fall under the limit explosive plays on defense… 

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it’s possible he was leading teams to think one way or another to remain unpredictable- but also in the Ballard sense of “I told you exactly what I was going to do.” 

he said they wanted to get more explosive on offense and limit the explosive plays on defense. He’s talked about the receivers in the class, and many have taken the explosive comments to mean a receiver early. Who knows… If sneed ends up here, that would certainly fall under the limit explosive plays on defense… 

i wouldn't be surprised if we took a WR in rds 1-3, I just expect it to be another 2nd or 3rd rounder

So slept on the Sneed situation.

I don't know if it's draft compensation or contract compensation?

I'm starting to think it's Sneed and his indecision on if he wants to leave KC and get paid or stay and go for the 3 peat on the tag.

He's already been on record talking about it and about wanting to stay in KC.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/football/chiefs/hopefully-im-still-here-chiefs-cb-ljarius-sneed-looks-to-next-season

When asked about the chance to be a part of a team with a chance to win back-to-back-to-back Super Bowls, Sneed said he's hopeful.

“Two is legendary, but three? You never get tired of getting rings,” Sneed said. “Hopefully I’m with the Chiefs. Hopefully I’m still here and we can go back and repeat.”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Other than our own expectations has Ballard been on record saying he wants veteran at CB and safety? 

I thought he said something about improving the secondary at some point since the season ended?

Safety is obvious at this point, a veteran is needed bad back there. Even if it's just Blackmon. 

CB? Not so sure of, it could just be that he is just going after Sneed.

Sure wish we could all get this answer and move on.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I thought he said something about improving the secondary at some point since the season ended?

Safety is obvious at this point, a veteran is needed bad back there. Even if it's just Blackmon. 

CB? Not so sure of, it could just be that he is just going after Sneed.

Sure wish we could all get this answer and move on.

If it happens, it happens. Based on those comments, seems like Sneed isn’t sure and that’s the hold up. Odds are, he’ll stay a chief this year and we will look elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

If it happens, it happens. Based on those comments, seems like Sneed isn’t sure and that’s the hold up. Odds are, he’ll stay a chief this year and we will look elsewhere. 

If it doesn't happen there is nothing preventing Ballard from trading for another veteran starting corner.  He definitely wants one.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I'm starting to think it's Sneed and his indecision on if he wants to leave KC and get paid or stay and go for the 3 peat on the tag.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/football/chiefs/hopefully-im-still-here-chiefs-cb-ljarius-sneed-looks-to-next-season

When asked about the chance to be a part of a team with a chance to win back-to-back-to-back Super Bowls, Sneed said he's hopeful.

“Two is legendary, but three? You never get tired of getting rings,” Sneed said. “Hopefully I’m with the Chiefs. Hopefully I’m still here and we can go back and repeat.”

I can't imagine him wanting to play for us. Or if he must being interested in more than a 3 year and out contract. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I think Sneed saying he hopes to stay with the Chiefs isn't anything to be troubled with. Almost all players use that rhetoric when their contract is up. And if the Chiefs were to satisfy his wants financially, of course he would like to stay there. But in the end, the majority of the time, it always comes down to the money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If it doesn't happen there is nothing preventing Ballard from trading for another veteran starting corner.  He definitely wants one.

Well he definitely wanted Sneed. Might not be as interested in lesser options. Sneed changed the room dramatically. Another vet will probably just compliment the room.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I can't imagine him wanting to play for us. Or if he must being interested in more than a 3 year and out contract. 

I don't think it's necessary us, I think it would be hard to leave a team you just won back to back titles with.

Question is, does KC want him to stay and play on the tag?

Lot of moving parts.

• Like 1