Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

so here's my question, if we were almost last in points allowed last season... and our defense is staying pretty much the same... and we have the same defensive coach.. what's gonna be the changing factor to take us from almost last to at least improved? 

The 'Big Guy' from Miami Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Another signing by Houston nobody is talking about is defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi. He was outstanding last year

Yep. They revamped their entire DL around Anderson, who could be an AP ER. 

They have elite DL potential. Hunter and Autry had 28 sacks last year alone. 

They are trying to be contenders. 

4 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I just got a new phone, and it logged back in no problem. It’s saved somewhere, and that works for me lol. 

Thanks. I honestly did not know that. 

I am old. 

Just now, shasta519 said:

Yep. They revamped their entire DL around Anderson, who could be an AP ER. 

They have elite DL potential. Hunter and Autry had 28 sacks last year alone. 

They are trying to be contenders. 

Houston's Dline is gonna be pretty good

• Like 2

Just now, jskinnz said:

Thanks. I honestly did not know that. 

I am old. 

I’m 36 going on 87. Probably going to go catch the early bird special somewhere soon before I get ready for bed at 7 lol. I can empathize. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Holder is on Twitter talking about how great this team has drafted to be keeping guys they drafted 6-7 year ago. It’s always spin. 

HOU swapped out Greenard (coming off his first great season) for an AP ER in Hunter. Also brought in Autry as well. Upgraded at LB and added some DB help. Can’t take anyone seriously who say they haven’t improved. 

Grover would have gotten a good deal from someone. And Moore too. But that’s a lame reason to re-sign a player. 

My comment saw that the pro-colt podcast guy was framing the signings like Ballard intentionally stayed status quo while the other teams were too hapless and ignorant to retain their own good players and then had to scramble to find lesser replacements at a greater cost.  LOL.

Why not simply assume that all three teams made moves because they thought it was in the best interests of their teams?  Assume that when our Division rivals let one player go, they did so with the intent of upgrading the position....not just REPLACING what they lost.   Blatant bias in the framing of the issue, IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rumor going around that a deal will be announced soon for a player on a 2 year contract with 12 million guaranteed. Any guesses if true who it could be. Blackmon?

Can’t be he unfollowed the Colts.  

1 minute ago, AKB said:

so here's my question, if we were almost last in points allowed last season... and our defense is staying pretty much the same... and we have the same defensive coach.. what's gonna be the changing factor to take us from almost last to at least improved? 

Well I will just say this.

All our youth at CB got experience that should help their growth going into year 2.

We also get Flowers back.

Will still make 1-3 more FA moves in the secondary (1 CB, 1-2 S), to improve the back end.

Improved back up DTs, both spots it seems, with Davis's versatility.

And will be adding more in the draft.

Perhaps another young:

Edge

CB

LB(Payton Wilson :2c:)

Also can't forget about Paridge(Sp?)

I'm going to get it.

The new DL coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know about the Jags, they lost Ridley, Ridley was their best WR they had last year. Trevor can't be happy about that. 

Kirk was their best WR when both were on the field. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I beg to differ. Ridley tailed off as the season went along. He just got some of Kirk's numbers from the previous year. They needed a field stretching guy and had too much of the same kind in Zay Jones, Christian Kirk and Evan Engram all doing underneath work with Ridley crowding it. That is why they got Gabe Davis. 

I wouldn't say they got worse. Besides, let us sweep the Jaguars once before we start talking. :) 

You can make an argument that Trevor tailed off t the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Someone mentioned that Ridley did not turn out to be the stretch the field guy that he was brought in to be.  Just another Kirk type...so they let him go.    I assume JAX will be looking for that speed WR in the draft.  (Unless they already signed one).

LOL, I guess it was Chad...above.

6 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

In your head, every one of your ideas work out perfectly, but thats not what happens in real life.

Umh... no... not really. This is very far from what my point is. I have barely criticized him for misses. I'm criticizing him for big picture stuff - roster building philosophy. I know perfectly well that noone bats 1.000... and I don't expect all his signings to be succesful. But I do want him to build a team based on what wins in 2024 rather than in the 80s. 

I know you dont think run defense matters at all, and that anybody can do what Grover Stewart and Zaire Franklin do, but thats just not true. It just creates more needs and weakness on the team. And we all saw when Grover was out what it meant to the defense. It wasnt good, because run defense is very important. We dont have Patrick Mahommes to win shootouts for us. 

Again. I've never said anything like that. Everything I've said is about prioritization of resources. That doesn't mean run defense doesn't matter at all. And it doesn't mean anyone can do what Grover and Zaire Franklin can do... but I do think there is wider selection and cheaper selection of players who can approximate what they do and even if not playing at that exact level, the gains in other areas will be much more beneficial to wins. This has been the whole conversation here... 

Then.......if your other moves dont work out, you arent "mid" anymore, you are horrible and getting fired. 

If anyone's moves consistently don't work they are getting fired. BTW just for the record we've been closer to horrible more times than to contention in the 7 years of Ballard. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You can make an argument that Trevor tailed off t the end of the season.

Supposedly, Trevor was playing games injured that he should not have played because JAX did not have a viable backup.

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I am not sure what you are basing that on? Ridley played all 17 games (he was more durable) and statistically it isn't even close between the 2. Ridley had over 1000 yards receiving, 5 more TDs, and 19 more catches. Y/A per catch were almost identical, Kirk 13.8 to 13.4 so that is a wash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Someone mentioned that Ridley did not turn out to be the stretch the field guy that he was brought in to be.  Just another Kirk type...so they let him go.    I assume JAX will be looking for that speed WR in the draft.  (Unless they already signed one)

The crazy thing about it was they had draft compensation attached to the decision.

They already owed their 3rd round pick to Atlanta for the Ridley trade, but it had conditions on it, that would of made it a 2nd instead of that 3rd, if he was re-signed.

So they elected to not have him and keep their 2nd, rather than re-sign him and lose a 2nd instead of the 3rd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The person that said the sneed trade was done and they are working on contract is still swearing it is happening. He is really defending himself. 

Uh huh

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The person that said the sneed trade was done and they are working on contract is still swearing it is happening. He is really defending himself. 

I wanna believe.  I wanna believe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I’m 36 going on 87. Probably going to go catch the early bird special somewhere soon before I get ready for bed at 7 lol. I can empathize. 

I am 56. We got a very late start on becoming parents with an 8 and 10 year old. But it is glorious that we can go to bed the same time as our kids at 8:30. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chloe, you don't need to sell us on more anticipation for your post.

We are ready, and click quick.

Although sometimes try and beat you to the punch, but I don't have Twitter, so it's tough.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Another note......

He didnt get as much attention, but that Legend of Boom team had an AMAZING FS 

Earl Thomas was the  7 time pro bowl Free Safety that backed up the the CBs

He was all over the place....... THATS the sort of guy that this team needs at FS to make a ZONE work

Hooker was supposed to be that for us. And this seems to be unpopular opinion around here, but IMO he looked like he can actually be that for us, before the injuries hit him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

The crazy thing about it was they had draft compensation attached to the decision.

They already owed their 3rd round pick to Atlanta for the Ridley trade, but it had conditions on it, that would of made it a 2nd instead of that 3rd.

So they elected to not have him and keep their 2nd, rather than re-sign him and lose a 2nd instead.

Obviously a great decision.  Especially since he didn't stretch the field more than Kirk.  They probably could get that speed guy with their 2nd and play him on a rookie deal.  If he doesn't bust of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Little more than I was thinking.

Was thinking $15m.

Yeah he got $10m a year than Davis, wasn't happening here.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Whether you lose by 3 or lose by 20 at Jacksonville, it still counts as 1 loss :) 

I am plagiarizing Magic Johnson talking after a playoff loss vs the Bulls. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Whether you lose by 3 or lose by 20 at Jacksonville, it still counts as 1 loss :) 

I am plagiarizing Magic Johnson talking after a playoff loss vs the Bulls. 

Yep, good one haha . I remember when the Lakers beat the Celtics on Magic's hook in Game 4 to go up 3-1. A reporter told Magic you guys struggled, are you happy with the win. Then Magic said "doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 20, it is the same in the books". Just like us losing to Houston this past year, nobody seems to care we basically had the game won, all they remember is we lost, and Houston won the division.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully we get to say.

Chloe GIF by The Traitors Australia

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Holder is on Twitter talking about how great this team has drafted to be keeping guys they drafted 6-7 year ago. It’s always spin. 

HOU swapped out Greenard (coming off his first great season) for an AP ER in Hunter. Also brought in Autry as well. Upgraded at LB and added some DB help. Can’t take anyone seriously who say they haven’t improved. 

Grover would have gotten a good deal from someone. And Moore too. But that’s a lame reason to re-sign a player. 

Yeah, this a week after Holder wrote that it wouldn’t be “wise” for Ballard to sit out free agency after the team showed so much by winning nine games and since he has his QB now. Ballard is sitting out free agency so Holder retrofits his opinion to praise him. Hey, he needs Ballard to keep taking his calls but have a spine! 

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The offseason back to back to back to back championships go to ..... your Duuuval fellas again :) 

Amazon Prime Video GIF by NFL On Prime

Amazon Jaguars GIF by NFL On Prime Video

“Hang the friggin’ banner boys!”

Now if only someone on that team would say those sweet, sweet cursed words we all long to here:

”we’ll building the dream team down here”

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's all I wanted to hear from Flacco. Right now having a vet backup with the experience and desire to work with our young QB is very important and he seems to be excited about that possibility. :thmup:

• Like 2