Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine staying in Indy!

Solid84

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Don't know if this is new, but here it is.

It’s new in that it’s official.  But my understanding is that this was always the intention.   The NFL wants reps from other cities to come to Indy to see how they do it.   Give them a better idea of what will be involved if they decide to bid….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s new in that it’s official.  But my understanding is that this was always the intention.   The NFL wants reps from other cities to come to Indy to see how they do it.   Give them a better idea of what will be involved if they decide to bid….

Why do they want to move it?

36 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

to turn it into a spectacle like the draft… 

always about money

Always about money.

Instead of simply doing it in Indy, they make Indy bid on the privilege to do it, and pay for what they always have done.

*trying on the tinfoil hat to see if it fits*

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Always about money.

Instead of simply doing it in Indy, they make Indy bid on the privilege to do it, and pay for what they always have done.

Pay for what everyone involved wants to be continued… I fixed it for you. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Pay for what everyone involved wants to be continued… I fixed it for you. 

@John Hammonds

The logistics are the key reason with with having it in Indianapolis every year. 

central location. World renowned and easy airport to get into town. Ample hotels/restaurants/hospital in close proximity. Convention center connected to the indoor stadium.

The only ones complaining of it in Indianapolis is the NFL looking at revenue opportunities and owners who want a chance to try (and not do it as well.) Combine is a well oiled machine in Indy.  

• Like 5

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

@John Hammonds

The logistics are the key reason with with having it in Indianapolis every year. 

central location. World renowned and easy airport to get into town. Ample hotels/restaurants/hospital in close proximity. Convention center connected to the indoor stadium.

The only ones complaining of it in Indianapolis is the NFL looking at revenue opportunities and owners who want a chance to try (and not do it as well.) Combine is a well oiled machine in Indy.  

Exactly.  It's logical to hold it here.  It's the reason why they've held it here.  Why go anywhere else?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Always about money.

No tinfoil needed. That’s exactly what they’ve stated 

39 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@John Hammonds

So was draft night until they started moving it around. 

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No tinfoil needed. That’s exactly what they’ve stated 

So was draft night until they started moving it around. 

New York City in a cramped auditorium for a highly viewed event is not a great comparison. 

it wasn’t central. There isn’t a world renowned airport in New York (quite the contrary) and it was an easy decision to capitalize off fans wanting to go to a primetime event. The combine has never been a primetime event, and likely never will be. It’s done on weekday working hours. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The interesting thing is several NFL teams want to cancel the event all together and the Players association wants to as well. 

exactly. It’s moving more towards being done with than moving it around hoping for something similar to the draft. When more players use their respective schools pro-day, they’ll view the combine as a complete waste of time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Why do they want to move it?

The same reason they move the draft every year now.   Money.  

It’s pretty shameless.   I have Sirius XM radio in my car, and all the NFL people say the same thing….    Teams don’t want the location to change.   They think Indy is perfect for the combine.  They don’t think other cities will do nearly as well.   Not even close.  

But the NFL monetizes everything.   It’s sad.   

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

to turn it into a spectacle like the draft… 

always about money

Maybe its because I'm partial to the draft...but the combine isn't the draft and IMO never will be. Right now it doesnt match the draft when it was just held in the basement of MSG.

I'm assuming there are plenty of other monetary reasons why a city would want the combine(mainly team reps, soon to be nfl players and their agents all with money in their pockets ready to spend). 

1 minute ago, ColtV said:

Maybe its because I'm partial to the draft...but the combine isn't the draft and IMO never will be. Right now it doesnt match the draft when it was just held in the basement of MSG.

I'm assuming there are plenty of other monetary reasons why a city would want the draft(mainly team reps, soon to be nfl players and their agents all with money in their pockets ready to spend). 

Have you seen the turnout to the drafts the last few years? Huge economic boosts to the host cities. Massive events. 

the nfl combine will die before it even remotely resembles something like that. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They are going to move it to Vegas and see if the young guys can resist temptations as an extra layer of character testing or what?? :) 

The new scouts will be undercover strippers seeing what kind of information they can extract. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Have you seen the turnout to the drafts the last few years? Huge economic boosts to the host cities. Massive events. 

the nfl combine will die before it even remotely resembles something like that. 

My error, I meant to say there are reasons why they would want the Combine, not the Draft. 

I went to the draft in Cleveland in 2021 and even in post pandemic and bad weather, downtown Cleveland was packed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is the combine even open to the public?

For the last couple years, yes. And eventually it's going to be in LA for this very reason, I think. I know Indy does a great job, but it seems like they've built the SoFi compound and surrounding area in a way that it can provide all the stuff that's available around LOS. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:
12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They are going to move it to Vegas and see if the young guys can resist temptations as an extra layer of character testing or what?? :) 

The new scouts will be undercover strippers seeing what kind of information they can extract. 

reminds me of the movie “the big short,” where mark baum (Steve carell) is asking questions to the stripper on his lap and realizes the housing market is a giant bubble. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

For the last couple years, yes. And eventually it's going to be in LA for this very reason, I think. I know Indy does a great job, but it seems like they've built the SoFi compound and surrounding area in a way that it can provide all the stuff that's available around LOS. 

SoFi is dominating the big events coming up. Olympics, Super Bowl. Now the Clippers new stadium “intuit dome” is adding to the neighborhood. Have you seen the plans on that place? Steve Ballmer totally transforming how attending a game is going to be. 

40 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

SoFi is dominating the big events coming up. Olympics, Super Bowl. Now the Clippers new stadium “intuit dome” is adding to the neighborhood. Have you seen the plans on that place? Steve Ballmer totally transforming how attending a game is going to be. 

I haven't. I passed by on my way to SoFi a couple months ago, I'll have to check out the plans. 

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

A cross country trip for so many teams, I would have thought at least a place like Atlanta would have enough direct flights from most places or even Dallas. LA seems logistically taxing for East Coast teams that want to send a whole bunch of scouts and coaches to interview prospects to me.

Maybe Jerry Jones is going to be vying for it??

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

New York City in a cramped auditorium for a highly viewed event is not a great comparison. 

it wasn’t central. There isn’t a world renowned airport in New York (quite the contrary) and it was an easy decision to capitalize off fans wanting to go to a primetime event. The combine has never been a primetime event, and likely never will be. It’s done on weekday working hours. 

OK, loved one of your other posts, but this one is a head scratcher to me.   Since when isn’t JFK a world class airport?   Is that your opinion or is there some bad ranking I’m unaware of?  

Because, even if you think JFK isn’t,  La Guardia is 15 minutes away and while it’s clearly not world class, it’s good and close.   So two major airports are nearby….  Then, there’s Newark, which is 30 minutes away, tops.    So you have three major airports within 30 minutes of each other.   From Los Angeles, I can fly to any of them. 

That said, your argument for Indy is spot on.  It’s the perfect city in the perfect spot.   The 32 teams want it kept right there. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A cross country trip for so many teams, I would have thought at least a place like Atlanta would have enough direct flights from most places or even Dallas. LA seems logistically taxing for East Coast teams that want to send a whole bunch of scouts and coaches to interview prospects to me.

Maybe Jerry Jones is going to be vying for it??

Is that really a big deal? You're sending a couple front office guys, a couple coaches, and a couple scouts. Whoever you're sending, they're probably on the owner's private jet. No doubt everyone would prefer a more centralized location, but maybe that's offset by not going to a cold weather city in February. I think the league sees an opportunity to increase revenue, especially now that they've moved the workouts to prime time and opened them to the fans. 

I'm not arguing that it would be better in LA. Personally, it's an advantage for me because I'm out here and would go, but everyone says it's perfect in Indy and I believe. But I think SoFi was designed with the Combine in mind, and it will eventually wind up happening in LA.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is that really a big deal? You're sending a couple front office guys, a couple coaches, and a couple scouts. Whoever you're sending, they're probably on the owner's private jet. No doubt everyone would prefer a more centralized location, but maybe that's offset by not going to a cold weather city in February. I think the league sees an opportunity to increase revenue, especially now that they've moved the workouts to prime time and opened them to the fans. 

I'm not arguing that it would be better in LA. Personally, it's an advantage for me because I'm out here and would go, but everyone says it's perfect in Indy and I believe. But I think SoFi was designed with the Combine in mind, and it will eventually wind up happening in LA.

Im confused.   Are you saying SoFi would become the new permanent home of the combine?    To replace Indy?   

I haven’t read that anywhere.   What about the idea that it’s going to rotate locations like the draft so the NFL can monetize it?   Or am I misunderstanding you? 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I am certain a few teams send way more than that. We will see how things go. Like the draft, things could rotate.

Why would the owners care where the combine is held?  Do they get money for being in the host city....or is about concessions and parking revenue?  I could see trying to make cities bid the NFL for it, but they would just want it to go to the highest bidder and not care about where that was. 

Why would moving it to LA increase revenue for the NFL?  A lot more LA residents would attend boring NFL workouts than IND?  

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I am certain a few teams send way more than that. We will see how things go. Like the draft, things could rotate.

Even if it's 15-20, they can hop on the team plane, right?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im confused.   Are you saying SoFi would become the new permanent home of the combine?    To replace Indy?   

I haven’t read that anywhere.   What about the idea that it’s going to rotate locations like the draft so the NFL can monetize it?   Or am I misunderstanding you? 

I don't know about permanent, but maybe. Offices, suites, medical facilities for imaging, all within walking distance, which is one of the big draws for Indy. I don't know if they'd rotate the Combine like they do the draft, specifically because of the medical stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, I suspect 2025 will be the last year it's in Indy.

It doesn't matter what the players or even the coaches want.  The owners make the final call and greed trumps logic.

I’ve always read that if ithe combine rotates between cities, that Indy would get the same chance to have it periodically.  It’s not like Indy would not host it ever again. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve always read that if ithe combine rotates between cities, that Indy would get the same chance to have it periodically.  It’s not like Indy would not host it ever again. 

Should I have added "in our lifetime"?  

Indy also has the same shot at the draft and the SB again.  The city did a great job with the SB too.  They aren't on the list for the next four years, while other cities have had it multiple times.

As Cindi Lauper sang - Money changes everything.

Regardless of what they do with it, it's hard to to see the combine becoming a huge money-making event.  

That said, if they can somehow make 4 more dollars, they will.  

The combine is something that, if you're trying to do it every 5 years or so, it might be a pain more than anything.  If you're not getting it every year, you might not want it.  It's one thing to have a structure in place annually for the medical testing and whatnot.  It's another to put it together once every 5-6 years, or more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Regardless of what they do with it, it's hard to to see the combine becoming a huge money-making event.  

That said, if they can somehow make 4 more dollars, they will.  

The combine is something that, if you're  trying to do it every 5 years or so, it might be a pain more than anything.  If you're not getting it every year, you might not want it.  It's one thing to have a structure in place annually for the medical testing and whatnot.  It's another to put it together once every 5-6 years, or more.

LOL @ the bolded.

I think fan engagement could be huge in a warm weather city. Just having a fan Combine in the nearby lots, with a corporate sponsor, would be lucrative. 

Also, some of the players and agents dislike the prime time workouts. Those workouts could start at 4PM on the West Coast, and still get prime time TV audiences across the country.

But ultimately, yes, the only reason to move it is to try to make more money off of it.

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Should I have added "in our lifetime"?  

Indy also has the same shot at the draft and the SB again.  The city did a great job with the SB too.  They aren't on the list for the next four years, while other cities have had it multiple times.

As Cindi Lauper sang - Money changes everything.

I can’t stress this enough….  The only NFL people who like the idea of rotating the combine are the executives at the NFL offices in New York.  

But all 32 teams love, LOVE Indy.  They don’t want the combine to ever leave.  They think Indy is perfect.   

Pretty shameless by the NFL.  

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

LOL @ the bolded.

I think fan engagement could be huge in a warm weather city. Just having a fan Combine in the nearby lots, with a corporate sponsor, would be lucrative. 

Also, some of the players and agents dislike the prime time workouts. Those workouts could start at 4PM on the West Coast, and still get prime time TV audiences across the country.

But ultimately, yes, the only reason to move it is to try to make more money off of it.

I know nothing about how this stuff works, so I'm just asking.

When you say fans, are you saying that fans from other teams will travel to LA to watch the college kids work out? 

I guess I kind of agree with @#12..  While corporate bean counters try to scrap as much profit as they can out of the corners of an operation, there doesn't seem to be a lot of skin in this game.  The product is still pretty boring. 

I don't know what the attendance is like in IND.  Or the TV popularity.

As a fan who has relocated back to Indy a few years ago,  it's great to go to the Combine.  I took my son the first year that they opened it up to fans but you had to be completely silent.   My wife and I went last year (son was at college) and it was different.  You could cheer (they asked you to be silent during the 40 but no one really did).  The vendors were also open.  It was a nice event.  We got to see so many NFL greats, past and future.  

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When you say fans, are you saying that fans from other teams will travel to LA to watch the college kids work out? 

Maybe, but that's not what I'm saying. There are millions of NFL fans in and around LA, and most of them are not Rams/Chargers fans. I think the Combine would be an in-person attraction for many in this market.