Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Raiders post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone else find Matt Ryan annoying as a commentator in this game? He gave me the impression of holding a grudge against the colts.

I mean wouldn't you hold a grudge? Lol

We legally almost killed him many times last year. 

I'm sure he thought he was walking into an ok situation, but he walked into a landmine coming to Indy..

But he wasn't too bad honestly.

• Like 1

Crazy stat. Who would of thought this.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get how you get that at all.  He said several very nice things about the Colts in the two games he’s done and has made fun of his own performance last year in both.  I found Ryan to be very good and one of the better color guys that’s done a Colts game this year.  He was all over the Pierce play and spot lighted what a lot of fans have been saying they see with him that’s been ignored by everyone else.  

I missed him making fun of himself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Crazy stat. Who would of thought this.

I missed him making fun of himself. 

He did it multiple times but the one that jumped out was when they showed the fan in a 2 jersey and they turned around and it was Wentz and tiki and the play-by-play guy made fun of him for the kid not having a Ryan jersey and Ryan said “my jersey wasn’t the best selling jersey last year” or something to that effect.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trey Serman is making a case to be Taylor’s backup next season. That kid is good.

Don’t forget about Evan Hull who they lost for the year in the season opener but was impressive in the pre-season.  Sermon had a nice run today but 27 of his 32 yards for the day came on that carry,  he average about 1 yard a carry on the rest of his handoffs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Anyone else find Matt Ryan annoying as a commentator in this game? He gave me the impression of holding a grudge against the colts.

He didn't bother me at all, I think he's pretty good and wouldn't mind him being in a 2 man booth. But they need to figure out his mic situation, his audio was awful all day.

Just now, Superman said:

It's been playing with house money all year, especially after Richardson went out. But sadly, his injury puts a big damper on this season for me. We don't know whether we really have a chance to contend in the future until we know what the QB can do, and that's on pause until next year.

Compare that to 2012, when we'd seen how magical Luck could be. Even though the roster still needed a lot of work, we knew we had our guy, and my optimism was through the roof. 

But yeah, it's hard to understand why someone can't just appreciate this season for what it is. It's almost like they don't actually want the Colts to win games...

Like I’ve said for years some would rather the Colts lose so they can be right…

• Like 4

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Like I’ve said for years some would rather the Colts lose so they can be right…

I complain about the Colts a lot, but I'd much rather win than lose. My complaining stems from frustration of losing, but I have a blast when this team wins. If you see me talk about the Braves, Nuggets and Avalanche, you'd see what I mean. I hope we win next week and make the playoffs so bad. All I want is a shot in the postseason this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lewis might finally get that two year extension. He has been so pivotal to the dline depth. He is close up the top in pressures.

He’s one of those guys that will never be a star but is always around the ball and does good things.  You need those types of players to be good.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For him it doesn't, sad really. I have to be honest, been a fan since 1984 and this season ranks way up there as one of my favorites. 

1. 2006 = because we won the SB and beat the best = Tom and BB to get to the SB. Peyton sealed his legacy with the comeback win vs the Pats. Then he closed by beating the Bears where many fans here in Indy are Bears fans. 

2. 1995 = because nobody expected us to do anything that season, and we went to the AFC Title Game as a WildCard with Harbaugh. The win at KC in the Divisional Round (1995) was priceless.

3. 2012 = went from 2-14 to 11-5 and a Playoff appearance with Andrew Luck and his comebacks. Made the playoffs and not 1 person on ESPN and NFL Network had us winning more than 5 games before the season. 

4. This season (2023) is in the running because, CBS Sports radio, ESPN, NFL Network, our local media, and most of the posters in here had us winning 3 or 4 games before the season. Here we are 9-7, blood and guts in with the best of them. How anyone can't enjoy that, they live a sad life, JMO. Our before season odds of making the playoffs this season were like 5%. Some outlets had us rated at #32 = worst team in team in the league.

Because Moose isnt a fan. He never has been. He likes football and has chosen the Colts as the team he likes to criticize online when hes bored. Thats all. 

We lose our starting QB. Our best offensive player missed half the season. We were blatantly robbed of a win against Cleveland, who has been beating everyone. We have had numerous suspensions. We have a new coach. We have been playing an extremely young secondary that has been decimated by injuries all year. And oh yeah, we cut our highest paid player and a guy who was considered our team leader, mid season. And according to the haters, all of our players either suck or are extremely overrated and arent truly important. But all the losses are still legit.

But that Ravens game.......that was a different mostly healthy team, at home. So it doesnt count. 

Does this sound like a fan to you?

This season has been borderline magical. We should be 10-6 and playing for the division title on Sunday. Nobody thought that could happen. The schedule has been out for awhile. Still, nobody predicted this. Not even us "blind homers". 

I guess it only counts if you slay goliath at full strength with your hands tied behind your back. 

No matter what happens on Sunday, this season has been a lot of fun and a massive success. And the Colts deserve a better fan base. The building had way too many Raiders fans today, which again is a recurring problem around here. This was a huge game and the "fans" arent showing up for their team. It's frustrating. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Trey Serman is making a case to be Taylor’s backup next season. That kid is good.

He's pretty good running the ball ,  but I remember him dropping a couple of easy passes earlier in the year. Think he might have caught a couple today though.

He's getting more snaps than Goodson, so the coaches must think he's better.

• Like 1

GOOD

Alec Pierce:  we have given AP his fair share of criticism, but he did what we needed him to do, and that’s keep the defense honest.  I’ve said it before, defenses don’t think we’re going to go deep and when that happens we need to hurt them to let them know we will.  1 catch, 58 yds, 1 TD.  That’s all we needed!  

MPJ, Downs, TEs:  stats weren’t pretty but they were dependable and made catches when needed.  

Defo, Tyquan:  good job getting home and sacking the qb

DBs:  if It takes 21 targets for devantae Adams to catch 13 passes for 126 yards I’ll take it.  He did score 2 touchdowns but he was clearly being fed the ball.  Keeping him under 10yds avg is good enough for me.

BAD

Gus Bradley:  he has to go.  Not liking the prevent defense so early

Penalties:  luckily, we were more disciplined than the other team but too many for my comfort.  Especially EJ Speeds.  Have to play smarter.

JT:  hold on to the ball bro

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

GOOD

Alec Pierce:  we have given AP his fair share of criticism, but he did what we needed him to do, and that’s keep the defense honest.  I’ve said it before, defenses don’t think we’re going to go deep and when that happens we need to hurt them to let them know we will.  1 catch, 58 yds, 1 TD.  That’s all we needed!  

MPJ, Downs, TEs:  stats weren’t pretty but they were dependable and made catches when needed.  

Defo, Tyquan:  good job getting home and sacking the qb

DBs:  if It takes 21 targets for devantae Adams to catch 13 passes for 126 yards I’ll take it.  He did score 2 touchdowns but he was clearly being fed the ball.  Keeping him under 10yds avg is good enough for me.

BAD

Gus Bradley:  he has to go.  Not liking the prevent defense so early

Penalties:  luckily, we were more disciplined than the other team but too many for my comfort.  Especially EJ Speeds.  Have to play smarter.

JT:  hold on to the ball bro

The Speed flag was a second away from being a blocked punt. It happens, those I can live with rather than the loss of focus jump offsides and give up a free first down like last week.  

As for Taylor remember this is only five weeks post thumb surgery and it seemed his hand was bothering him down the stretch.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Compared to last week's gameplan, when Bradley and Steichen confirmed that they played it conservative to protect the secondary.

My problem with this, is that this is the story every week usually. He calls it conservative. He blitzed some today end actually had Cross playing back deep, but he went to his usual game plan. He should have done more to try and make life difficult for the rookie QB.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That said, some of the coverages were annoying. It seemed like the Raiders had an open receiver right in the middle of the field on every passing down. I'd rather clamp down the middle and make the QB try a more difficult throw to the outside. And we absolutely have to tackle better.

Yeah the receivers being left wide open is the issue. That’s not how zone is supposed to work. It’s not supposed to leave guys wide open for 8-10 yards. Bend don’t break my behind because if you bend anything enough times it’ll break. I would like to see more off man and press, or a combination. That final drive the Raiders basically marched up the field freely, and we did nothing to make it challenging. 

And the tackling is really concerning to me. Because it’s the D-line, safeties, and LBs that are whiffing on tackles.The corners actually tackle well. But guys like Kwity, Blackmon, Thomas, Franklin, Lewis, and Dayo have missed a few tackles this season. It’s a team issue that has to be addressed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My problem with this, is that this is the story every week usually. He calls it conservative. He blitzed some today end actually had Cross playing back deep, but he went to his usual game plan. He should have done more to try and make life difficult for the rookie QB.

Yeah the receivers being left wide open is the issue. That’s not how zone is supposed to work. It’s not supposed to leave guys wide open for 8-10 yards. Bend don’t break my behind because if you bend anything enough times it’ll break. I would like to see more off man and press, or a combination. That final drive the Raiders basically marched up the field freely, and we did nothing to make it challenging. 

And the tackling is really concerning to me. Because it’s the D-line, safeties, and LBs that are whiffing on tackles.The corners actually tackle well. But guys like Kwity, Blackmon, Thomas, Franklin, Lewis, and Dayo have missed a few tackles this season. It’s a team issue that has to be addressed. 

I think the gameplan this week was less conservative than last week, which I appreciated. Still not my favorite gameplan, or scheme.

Also, I think the DBs made mistakes on that final drive. Those weren't throws underneath, those were intermediate throws that mostly should have been contested by the outside corners. But our outside corners are both rookies, and our nickel is a replacement from the practice squad. Seemed like mistakes to me, just how I saw it.

Do you think they replace Bradley in the offseason? As much as I think we need a different defense, I doubt they make a change.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the gameplan this week was less conservative than last week, which I appreciated. Still not my favorite gameplan, or scheme.

Also, I think the DBs made mistakes on that final drive. Those weren't throws underneath, those were intermediate throws that mostly should have been contested by the outside corners. But our outside corners are both rookies, and our nickel is a replacement from the practice squad. Seemed like mistakes to me, just how I saw it.

Do you think they replace Bradley in the offseason? As much as I think we need a different defense, I doubt they make a change.

I just get the feeling Shane really likes Bradley and likes his defense.  I don’t think they will make a change, especially if they make the playoffs but I would like to be wrong as I am not a fan of Gus.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don’t know if they will, but seeing them move on from Shaq makes me think anything is possible these days.

I mean just because we’re not giving up points the way the Dolphins did on Sunday doesn’t mean we have an Elite D. Ballard has to realize that this is not sustainable. That 4th and 10 they gave up in the 2nd half I think it was should kind of be the testament of what you’re going to get from a Bradley D. Plus I think you let Shane go get his guy.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Speed flag was a second away from being a blocked punt. It happens, those I can live with rather than the loss of focus jump offsides and give up a free first down like last week.  

As for Taylor remember this is only five weeks post thumb surgery and it seemed his hand was bothering him down the stretch.  

good points, rewatching the speed flag it was a bang bang play.  And also true about JT.  Forgot about that.  We’re gonna need JT for that playoff football if/when we make it.  

• Like 1

Didn’t get to see the game until just now. 

We really benefitted from having Smith back. He handled Crossby. 

JT had a good game. 

We need to force plays to Pierce. It opens up the defense when he gets that deep play. 

I just don’t like our defensive scheme. At all. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get how you get that at all.  He said several very nice things about the Colts in the two games he’s done and has made fun of his own performance last year in both.  I found Ryan to be very good and one of the better color guys that’s done a Colts game this year.  He was all over the Pierce play and spot lighted what a lot of fans have been saying they see with him that’s been ignored by everyone else.  

I actually thought he was pretty good too. He didn't seem like a Colts hater to me. Rich Eisen was obvious.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

JT had a good game. 

We need to force plays to Pierce. It opens up the defense when he gets that deep play. 

We give up too many 3rd and longs, if we correct that, we will be a dangerous team. That and win the Turnover battle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Superman said:

especially after Richardson went out. But sadly, his injury puts a big damper on this season for me. We don't know whether we really have a chance to contend in the future until we know what the QB can do, and that's on pause until next year.

I feel like we saw enough. I’m excited about seeing him next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

JT had a good game. 

Shout out needs to go to Raimann too.  They noted early they were trying Crossby on him and Raimann held up.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We give up too many 3rd and longs, if we correct that, we will be a dangerous team. That and win the Turnover battle.

Nipping that in the butt will definitely be good for the team. It's just more than that to me. We just sit back and let the offense do their thing. If you give elite QBs enough time they'll create something eventually and ultimately that's what we need to build our defense around - stopping elite QBs.

Incredible, I picked a loss because I figured we would play too much soft zone, retreat and surrender defense(which we did, I was right about that) I thought the game was over when they called that ticky tack pass interference on Jones on the pick six. The fact that we put up zero resistance when up 23-13 and let the raiders easily go down field in about 1 minute is still pathetic. I watched the 4th quarter of the chief-bengal game and on the bengals last 2 possessions the chiefs came after them with everything and registered 4 sacks, that's the way it's done. Not this 51 years of retreat and surrender nonsense we have to watch week after week. Well I'm glad I was wrong, we live to fight another week!

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Nipping that in the butt will definitely be good for the team. It's just more than that to me. We just sit back and let the offense do their thing. If you give elite QBs enough time they'll create something eventually and ultimately that's what we need to build our defense around - stopping elite QBs.

Next year should be fun and we should be good, at least the same, around 10 wins with AR. AR, when he played looked above average at worse. Outside of drafting maybe 1 playmaking WR, we should draft all defense. I would resign Mustache as well if it is reasonable = maybe 7 mill for 1 year. Having a great backup is priceless. Mustache isn't the type of guy that would have a problem being a backup again IMO. He comes off just wanting what's best for the team. AR would be the guy no Matter what but if he goes down, at least we know we would not have a stiff at QB.

• Like 2

Young team experiencing a playoff regular season game is great for this team and building a Culture that starts with the Head coach setting the Pace. We knew we were pieces away and we still might be, but this ride has been so enjoyable. Prime Time, Indianapolis in the spotlight, Magic, JT, Pitt, Q, Buck, Zaire, hopefully Zach and of course Shane. 

I have my 15 hour drive planned out, hotel room set, game tickets for 4 rowdy fans who don’t sit on their hands. Night game so the Libations should make it as Loud and raucous as possible! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Next year should be fun and we should be good, at least the same, around 10 wins with AR. AR, when he played looked above average at worse. Outside of drafting maybe 1 playmaking WR, we should draft all defense. I would resign Mustache as well if it is reasonable = maybe 7 mill for 1 year. Having a great backup is priceless. Mustache isn't the type of guy that would have a problem being a backup again IMO. He comes off just wanting what's best for the team. AR would be the guy no Matter what but if he goes down, at least we know we would not have a stiff at QB.

Maybe. We’ll be at least as good I think. I’m just not sure it’ll mean 10 wins, because our schedule will be a lot more difficult. 

I hope we go for a WR. I may have been too harsh on Pierce, but I still think we can do better here.

We need LBs who can cover. Period.  

I’d like a high level passrusher, but they are hard to come by. 

I think the secondary will sort itself out with Flowers returning and an improved passrush. 

A waaaaaaay too early prediction from me would be 8-9 wins. Draft and FA can of course change that as can how well AR plays. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Maybe. We’ll be at least as good I think. I’m just not sure it’ll mean 10 wins, because our schedule will be a lot more difficult. 

I hope we go for a WR. I may have been too harsh on Pierce, but I still think we can do better here.

We need LBs who can cover. Period.  

I’d like a high level passrusher, but they are hard to come by. 

I think the secondary will sort itself out with Flowers returning and an improved passrush. 

A waaaaaaay too early prediction from me would be 8-9 wins. Draft and FA can of course change that as can how well AR plays. 

I like Pierce, so he would still be important to the team. As a deep threat he is above average even. I would just love to see us add a game changer at WR to go with Pitt, Pierce, and Downs. Rome out of Washington looks impressive. I know Harrison and Nabors will be gone before we pick, Rome may be there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Pierce, so he would still be important to the team. As a deep threat he is above average even. I would just love to see us add a game changer at WR to go with Pitt, Pierce, and Downs. Rome out of Washington looks impressive. I know Harrison and Nabors will be gone before we pick, Rome may be there.

I like Odunze a lot, but every mock I’ve seen has him gone before we pick. I don’t think we get any of the top 3 WRs unless Ballard moves up for one of them. 

I think we could be looking at Troy Franklin maybe. We could even move back a few spots in the first and still get him. 

• Like 1

I thought Brent’s, Lammons and Jones played with some needed toughness. Yea, sometime they looked like a deer in headlights, but it was the moxy I enjoyed. They will be busy against Stroud and company, but it speaks to the decimation of our original DB group and how Ballard pieced it together.