Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bengals post game reaction

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I realize I'm stating the obvious, but if you remove Gus and move to a new scheme  you have to reevaluate your entire defense to see if they fit the new scheme. 

What's wrong with that? It's not like we have a super talented defensive roster, or a whole lot invested into that side of the ball. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The issue is we’re in cover 3 nearly 60% of the time and Bradley barely uses disguises. The opposing QBs can spot what we’re doing a mile away. 

According to pff most of the league(29+ teams) are in cover 2 or 3 more than half of the time now.  No point in disguising when they know you are going to fall into those zones anyway

We have a simple defense but cover 2 and 3 account for more than half of all defensive snaps in the game now across the league.  We just dont have the talent to stop really good WRs and QBs

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think you are seeing what you want to see.  Signing a tackle to the practice squad means nothing about the future of your starting WR.

Wow. You actually thought I was serious? Dude, what world are you people living in... or for that matter, what world am I in...

:lol:

7 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

That's insanity...no sense in even having seats in the stadium if that's the case.  The folks in the first rows are standing.  No one is blocking their view.  Why are they standing???!!!

Well, that's the last time I go there, so whatever...

Peace.

I get it. That's literally how it's always done in Cincy. It's like a college football game atmosphere. You should witness a Bengals vs. Steelers game sometime to really experience the effect. From the time I was little and my dad would take me to the games, we'd be standing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

That's insanity...no sense in even having seats in the stadium if that's the case.  The folks in the first rows are standing.  No one is blocking their view.  Why are they standing???!!!

Well, that's the last time I go there, so whatever...

Peace.

Dont be silly.   They assign seats so you know where to stand!!

I hate sitting at a game HATE IT!!

There is a reason that LOS isnt a very loud stadium   Because people go there to watch the game.  They could do that at home.  Yea yea. for the experience.   Sit and watch the experience.

I go to try and make a difference in the game by being loud.     

The loudest stadiums do not have the mindset of the LOS fans.   The loudest stadiums have the fans as the 12th man making noise and standing 

Wait until the Steelers come to LOS this weekend.    They will be as loud if not louder than the Colts fans with a quarter of the fans

Colts stadium is only loud on 3rd down and if we are playing the Pats or Bronco's with Manning.   

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

According to pff most of the league(29+ teams) are in cover 2 or 3 more than half of the time now.  No point in disguising when they know you are going to fall into those zones anyway

We have a simple defense but cover 2 and 3 account for more than half of all defensive snaps in the game now across the league.  We just dont have the talent to stop really good WRs and QBs

It's not just about whether you're playing zone, or what kind of zone you're playing. Other factors include whether you're playing press or off coverage, how you're matching patterns, what you do against trips/bunch, etc. 

Also, despite the fact that every team plays zone most of the time, other teams still use different coverages and pressures with greater variety than the Colts, because they recognize that you have to adjust your defense situationally. 

• Like 4

Just now, Superman said:

Also, despite the fact that every team plays zone most of the time, other teams still use different coverages and pressures with greater variety than the Colts, because they recognize that you have to adjust your defense situationally. 

You mean like when a team is clearly going to try the same screen play against us, just with a different half back? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's wrong with that? It's not like we have a super talented defensive roster, or a whole lot invested into that side of the ball. 

With regards to this team I see nothing wrong with it.  The end justifies the means, in my opinion.

My comment was aimed at the discussion stating what we should be drafting in the offseason.  We have to first decide on Gus before we look at the draft.  We may already have quality pieces for a different scheme?

38 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

@w87r posted a tweet about how much teams used different coverages, but I can't find it.

Colts were tops in Cover 3 usage and bottom in disguises and blitzing. I just think it's weird you don't even try to throw the QB off. They just let them do their thing. It's too passive for my liking.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Dont be silly.   They assign seats so you know where to stand!!

I hate sitting at a game HATE IT!!

There is a reason that LOS isnt a very loud stadium   Because people go there to watch the game.  They could do that at home.  Yea yea. for the experience.   Sit and watch the experience.

I go to try and make a difference in the game by being loud.     

The loudest stadiums do not have the mindset of the LOS fans.   The loudest stadiums have the fans as the 12th man making noise and standing 

Wait until the Steelers come to LOS this weekend.    They will be as loud if not louder than the Colts fans with a quarter of the fans

Colts stadium is only loud on 3rd down and if we are playing the Pats or Bronco's with Manning.   

I can even understand standing on defense, but standing and being quiet is pointless.  You can scream just as loud sitting down as you can standing.  You can even eat your food better sitting down.

I even saw a couple of games at the RCA Dome and it got plenty loud in there and there was not lot of standing from what I remember.

I do, however, agree that the seats are helpful for knowing where to stand. haha

22 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Wow. You actually thought I was serious? Dude, what world are you people living in... or for that matter, what world am I in...

:lol:

We're in a world full of * and, especially on the internet they tend to be the loudest "voice".  That makes it difficult to distinguish between stupidity and sarcasm.  

9 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I can even understand standing on defense, but standing and being quiet is pointless.  You can scream just as loud sitting down as you can standing.  You can even eat your food better sitting down.

I even saw a couple of games at the RCA Dome and it got plenty loud in there and there was not lot of standing from what I remember.

I do, however, agree that the seats are helpful for knowing where to stand. haha

Ha.     Yea.    I agree.   Quiet on O.    But everyone needs to be up on D       

I dred going to a steelers game.  they are LOUD.    Oh what could be at LOS if our fans had that passion  

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Awesome. I don't think people realize how bad this schedule has been. My evaluation is how they do against good and  teams picking in the top 10 or 5 of the draft.

Why can't you just enjoy a win when it happens and not just show up after a loss. We play who is front of us, that is Football 101. We did win at Baltimore and at Houston.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

As bad as that loss was Ballard learned more in that loss yesterday then the wins against bad teams. 

Yep, the 2023 Colts would be worse playing in previous seasons. Theres a lot more work to be done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

@w87r posted a tweet about how much teams used different coverages, but I can't find it.

Colts were tops in Cover 3 usage and bottom in disguises and blitzing. I just think it's weird you don't even try to throw the QB off. They just let them do their thing. It's too passive for my liking.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lester said:

My reaction: I was bummed watching this game. But I don't think it was reasonable for anyone to believe we were going to finish 12 and 5 in 2023. My word of caution for the 'more passionate' amongst us: I suspect the Colts will lose another game or two before this season is over. But, we'll win a couple more too.

This summer, who would have thought that 10 and 7; or even 11 and 6 were possibilities for this year? Be happy that the team we are fans of is doing so well! :)

I expect the gm to put a winning team on the field each season who fight to win the division. if I expected average or below I would lose interest and not even watch. I got spoiled during the manning years. I dont want to waste my time watching bad football. Delayed gratification should not happen with a good gm.

7 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Here’s my issue with this game. The colts showed no spark, or much creativity in play calling on offense. The bengals defense isn’t elite, and it shouldn’t have been so hard to move the ball on them, or run on them as it was. But hey. What do I know probably nothing. 

We have a backup QB and a backup RB, and the OL didn't play well. 

It's interesting to me that we can look at our upcoming opponents and say 'they're all bad QBs and mediocre teams, we should be able to get wins,' but at the same time not realize that fans of other teams probably have a similar reaction to seeing the Colts on their roster. We've been scratching out some wins this season, which is a testament to the players and coaches, but we know we have a young roster with a lot of question marks, we're missing some good players to injury, and we have a backup QB who has some obvious limitations. I think we can beat anyone left on the schedule, but we can just as easily lose to anyone left on the schedule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I expect the gm to put a winning team on the field each season who fight to win the division. if I expected average or below I would lose interest and not even watch. I got spoiled during the manning years. I dont want to waste my time watching bad football. Delayed gratification should not happen with a good gm.

And yet here you are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

yes i am because i expect to fight for the division, did you give up after the last loss? this is year 7 of delayed gratification, it might be the year.

I’m always here. I’ve experienced plenty of losses in my life. You’re the one saying you’d be giving up if the team was average. Well? The team is average. 

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

We have a backup QB and a backup RB, and the OL didn't play well. 

It's interesting to me that we can look at our upcoming opponents and say 'they're all bad QBs and mediocre teams, we should be able to get wins,' but at the same time not realize that fans of other teams probably have a similar reaction to seeing the Colts on their roster. We've been scratching out some wins this season, which is a testament to the players and coaches, but we know we have a young roster with a lot of question marks, we're missing some good players to injury, and we have a backup QB who has some obvious limitations. I think we can beat anyone left on the schedule, but we can just as easily lose to anyone left on the schedule.

I think ultimately I was disappointed in Shane’s play calling in comparison to games past. I suppose there is only so much he can do. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

I’m always here. I’ve experienced plenty of losses in my life. You’re the one saying you’d be giving up if the team was average. Well? The team is average. 

no they are 7 and six, above average, second in our division, fighting for first, where is your faith in ballard son?

2 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I think ultimately I was disappointed in Shane’s play calling in comparison to games past. I suppose there is only so much he can do. 

he was having trouble deciding to take the personal foul 15 yd loss or result of play third down he took result of play, his rookie was showing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Superman said:

I get that but didnt bother to mention it all.

Theres not much point in disguising when teams know we dont actually mix it up much and that we are going to fall right back into our base plays.  You could argue we need to mix it up more but thats not what the comment i was replying to was saying.

They know we dont change much situationally so a disguise wont work

Bradley had his presser yesterday because of a short week. He said they were worried about guys like Chase going deep so they gave up some yards in the middle. But he said players did not have good angles and those screens turned into long runs.  My question is you had an inexperienced QB. Why not see if he can hit those long deep balls. I would rather make him throw it Soto then just give up all those screens. Which one is harder? The deep ball in my opinion would be harder.