Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierce... UNCHECK!! Finally...

Indeee

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! If anything, the smoke screen that we need a WR might get us a trade possibility with a playoff team like the Chiefs or Bengals (assuming Higgins leaves) if there’s a good one that falls into the late teens where we would be drafting, IMO.

The only X factor would be Brock Bowers. Dalton Kincaid, in a deep TE draft, went to a playoff team, the Bills. If Bowers is sitting at No.18 or 19 (say) where we pick, by some miracle, pull the trigger there. A playmaker TE plus Downs and Pittman with AP, watch our offense get 25-30 most game days consistently.

If Pittman is re-signed, yes, it does make our options be a wider net in the draft. 

You seem to be writing Woods off. I wouldn't do that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s one game against arguably the worst secondary in the league.

It’s hard for me to believe because anyone else who has been open (Downs and Pittman) seem to get the ball. 

That all depends on if Pittman is back. It is not uncommon in the NFL for players to over-perform in a contract year. Also just a few weeks ago, when JT’s status with the team in the future was up in the air, reports are that Ballard was asking for guys like Jaylen Waddle and Christian Watson in return. I think he is looking for a true 1. 

Do you really think Ballard will not extend Pittman?  One of his own picks.  Who’s a key component of the offense.  Who is having a great year with Minschew as his quarterback.  I think it’s safe to say he will be signed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

Wasn't his deep ball accuracy in college better then his midrange? Matter of fact I think his deep ball accuracy was better then Stroud, Young and Levis. 

Throwing deep in college compared to the nfl are like night and day!

17 hours ago, colts89 said:

If we want to do anything at all in the postseason, Pierce is the first guy who has to take a huge step up as a receiving threat. Glad to see him perform today.

Or, perhaps the QB actually throws the ball downfield to him when and where he’s running open…….? 

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

TY would get the slightest turn out of a DB then run right by them. I think Pierce is Reggie's next success story.

We need a good WR 3/4 for development.

Yeah - I should have clarified and said Ballard may not see the need for a 1st or 2nd round WR selection. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Do you really think Ballard will not extend Pittman?  One of his own picks.  Who’s a key component of the offense.  Who is having a great year with Minschew as his quarterback.  I think it’s safe to say he will be signed.

I think it’s possible. Pittman will want top 10 WR money, which I don’t see Ballard giving him. I’ve done the research on contracts, numbers, etc… and based on that I think there’s a chance he doesn’t get brought back. When you look at what the market value is, plus guys like Kenny and Stewart also being FA’s, it puts things in doubt. I could also see him being franchise tagged as well. 

I could go into further detail with numbers and stats, but I didn’t want to hijack the thread which is actually about Pierce.

5 hours ago, husker61 said:

Throwing deep in college compared to the nfl are like night and day!

But it was his strength. I know there is a adjustment period but he seemed to have better accuracy then he had in college. He was actually playing really good for the little experience he had and don't   think it's going to take long for him to figure out how to play in the NFL 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

About time Minshew found him on a long pass 

finally-about-time.gif

Last week people on this thread were saying Minshew can't throw the long ball. Looked ok to me. I will admit they haven't thrown the long ball and kind of made me wonder why. We were beating teams up on the ground. If the passing game opens Taylor and Moss should have a blast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it’s possible. Pittman will want top 10 WR money, which I don’t see Ballard giving him. I’ve done the research on contracts, numbers, etc… and based on that I think there’s a chance he doesn’t get brought back. When you look at what the market value is, plus guys like Kenny and Stewart also being FA’s, it puts things in doubt. I could also see him being franchise tagged as well. 

I could go into further detail with numbers and stats, but I didn’t want to hijack the thread which is actually about Pierce.

He is deserving of top 10 money.   He will get it,  whether it's here or somewhere else

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is deserving of top 10 money.   He will get it,  whether it's here or somewhere else

He doesn’t really have top 10 career numbers though. The only person you could even maybe make a case for him for is Terry McLaurin, and even then there’s certain metrics where Terry is better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well while I agree we need to look for an upgrade at WR ,

pittman is 4th in receptions, 7th in yards and 5 overall according to nfl dot com. Now he drops way down the list in terms of TDs so it depends on what stats you wish to look at. 

regardless, I’d like to see a more dynamic WR opposite of him

Yes it depends on which stat you look at, but if I should mention the top 15 WR´s in the league without knowing their stats, my list would like like this.

Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, AJ Brown, Ja'Marr Chase, DJ Moore, Brandon Aiyuk, DeVonta Smith, Mike Evans, Stefon Diggs, Davante Adams, DK Metcalf, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Deebo Samuel, Justin Jefferson and after those 14... it´s a dog fight in my opinion, but Pittman might squeeze his name in the top 20.

But those 14 above are WR´s we find on our roster... (and I know they play for other teams) but we don't have those calibers of WR´s so I would say it´s a huge need come draft time. 

Pierce is he a legit nr 2 WR? 

He´s got the talent, that we saw against Titans, but is he a legit #2 WR?

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He doesn’t really have top 10 career numbers though. The only person you could even maybe make a case for him for is Terry McLaurin, and even then there’s certain metrics where Terry is better.

What metric is Terry better in 2023

On 12/3/2023 at 4:42 PM, jvan1973 said:

Hopefully they finally give him more looks.   He has been running open a lot this year.   Great game kid

yup, beginning of the year, I was apart of the Pierce hate train and rightfully so.  Dude was not getting open.  But I’d say after maybe the first 5 weeks, he has been getting open, the throws weren’t made.  But now the throws are coming and he’s hauling them in.  

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

Pittman just doesn’t seem like the kind of receiver that scares you, at least not with this qb. Could he be with a top qb? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn’t take that gamble with a big contract right now. 

I’ve criticized Pittman this year but he has stepped it up big time.  Still would like to see him get above that 10yds/catch threshold but other than that I can’t complain.  As long as Pierce can stretch the defense, downs can eat up the middle, and the tight ends can catch in the middle and sometimes deep, Pittman can do what he does.  Add in some red zone throws and 50/50 medium/deep balls and he’d be an absolute alpha WR1.

before, I was even ok with him walking if we were able to find a replacement.  But now, I’m 100% onboard with giving him $22mill a year.  I do want to see him get the ball deeper and more red zone targets, but I think as the qb play improves, he will too.

Love his efforts in THIS ONE game......

But....  we havent really checked a box yet..... not by a long shot

I hope he keeps developing, but we need a WR1 

WR1's from other teams

Tyreek Hill 

AJ Brown

Mike Evans

J Chase 

Devante Adams

Ceedee Lamb

Justin Jefferson

These guys draw constant double teams and keep Def coordinators up at night

I absolutely like Pittman...... and we need to sign the man.......  BUT

Respectfully, Please dont think we solved the WR1 in one game

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The way these contracts work, he's getting top 10 money here or elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Love his efforts in THIS ONE game......

But....  we havent really checked a box yet..... not by a long shot

I hope he keeps developing, but we need a WR1 

WR1's from other teams

Tyreek Hill 

AJ Brown

Mike Evans

J Chase 

Devante Adams

Ceedee Lamb

Justin Jefferson

These guys draw constant double teams and keep Def coordinators up at night

I absolutely like Pittman...... and we need to sign the man.......  BUT

Respectfully, Please dont think we solved the WR1 in one game

I believe Calvin Ridley will be a FA as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smittywerb said:

yup, beginning of the year, I was apart of the Pierce hate train and rightfully so.  Dude was not getting open.  But I’d say after maybe the first 5 weeks, he has been getting open, the throws weren’t made.  But now the throws are coming and he’s hauling them in.  

According to all the reports I have read he is constantly getting separation.  He is not being thrown as much is the issue.  If my memory serves me correctly Minchew was targeting Downs a lot earlier in the season then moved to Pittman.  Maybe he will go to Pierce now after last weekend.  The quarterback has a lot of say on where the ball goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

According to all the reports I have read he is constantly getting separation.  He is not being thrown as much is the issue.  If my memory serves me correctly Minchew was targeting Downs a lot earlier in the season then moved to Pittman.  Maybe he will go to Pierce now after last weekend.  The quarterback has a lot of say on where the ball goes.

Imagine if we had AR and the bombs he’d probably throw to AP.  :(

• Like 1