Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Titans post game reaction

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, #12. said:

He had one target in 2004.

Saturday also threw a pass in 2004.   Lol

This is weird, considering people were talking about Manning getting in player's faces.  I found Saturday's one reception and pass attempt from 2004.  It came right after the memorable Reggie/Peyton head bump.  I vaguely remember this.  One second left, down three at midfield to Jax.  Hail Mary?  No, illegal pass to Saturday.  Saturday then attempted to pass it forward.  Jax declined the penalties, so Saturday got a target and pass attempt.

Here. Let’s see the throw again. It’s worse even than I remember it.

I’ve been saying it was 7 feet from Hopkins. It wasn’t. It was 7 whole * yards. YARDS. Way out in front and it was clear on the other side of the white boundary line going up the sideline. 

He flat loaded up and missed. He missed on distance and placement. 

And that’s on the WR?

Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2

Good:

Special Teams - don’t think I need to say much on this one.  Blocked punt and a touchdown.  Have to win in all 3 phases and we did.  Can’t forget McKenzie with a nice return

MPJ - I have been one to call him out this year and these past 2 weeks he has played like a true WR1.  I still don’t like the high amount of targets to get his production (14 today) but if we get a touchdown out of it (especially a walk off one) I’ll take it.  Just need to get that average above 10.0.

Alec Pierce - That is all we need him to do.  Stretch the defense and he did that today.  Over 100 yds on 3 catches.  Amazing.

Gardner Minshew - best backup in the game.  And I love that he’s been throwing deep these past few weeks.  Didn’t see much of the happy feet today.  He made the throws that were needed.  Didn’t like interception (should’ve been a shovel pass) but other than that, he did what he had to do to get us this win.

Shane Steichen - dude is coaching his tail off.  Another game with some nice calls and plays.  The walk off touchdown play was just beautiful.  Schemed to get Pittman open and it was executed to perfection.  I cannot wait to see him and AR do some damage next year.

Pass Rush - 6 sacks on the day.  

Bad:

JB - nice pick, but the fumble man.  

Run Defense - we need Grover bad.  I know it’s Henry but luckily he got hurt because he might’ve went for 200 today with the way this game went.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve been saying it was 7 feet from Hopkins. It wasn’t. It was 7 whole * yards. YARDS. Way out in front and it was clear on the other side of the white boundary line going up the sideline. 

And that’s on the WR?

Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Nice! Well done! I love what Steichen has brought to this team. This team has moxie and spirit! Our talent is nowhere near enough for us to be scoring this many points and winning this many games. But somehow... they just get in position to win them even through offensive mistakes and questionable defensive possessions... 

What? We got the talent why because of the silly year last year. I don’t know why the simple minded folk think we don’t have the talent this a players league we got talent or we wouldn’t be winning it’s that simple. We got few young receivers who starting to come into there own if that’s what you mean? It’s takes time and now we’re starting to seeing it on the field Rome wasn’t built in a day.  I mean Steichen had done a good job putting players in the right position to be successful but it’s a players league. But if you base everything on last season you don’t know this team very well. Where is it you think we’re so deficient? Because I’m not seeing it yeah we need Grove back but I pretty job overall at stopping the run considering there is no magic wand in this league. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And that’s on the WR?

thank you for posting the throw it saves me from posting it. The colt defender was running step for step with him, so he wasn’t open like you said, and he made the right secession to throw the pass away. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

thank you for posting the throw it saves me from posting it. The colt defender was running step for step with him, so he wasn’t open like you said, and he made the right secession to throw the pass away. 

Ok. Let’s break this down and show why it’s foolish. 

First of all, defenders running step for step with Hopkins has never done much to slow him down. Have you ever actually, I don’t know, watched Deandre Hopkins? He’s kinda good, and he’s always open. Even when he’s covered. And he was “covered” by Baker who has been one of the most liable corners we’ve ever had on this team. Is Levis afraid to throw to the hall of famer because he’s covered by a corner who would struggle to stay on as depth around most of the rest of the league?

Weird flex. 

But anyways…

So Levis “made the right decision to throw it away”?

So now he made the decision to throw it away instead of throw it to the hall of fame WR on the 5th string corner despite the fact that his WR was STILL in position to make a play? All he had to do was put that ball on the boundary for Hopkins. Baker was to Hopkins left. If Hopkins turns right to the sideline to make a catch (if Levis can even make a pass with that kind of touch, that seems a dangerous assumption given the visual evidence in this case, however,) all Baker could have done was watch helplessly as he gives up yet another big gain for a first down. 

And that’s the WRs fault?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah I walk away too when someone is acting like a *.

What did Levis expect? Hopkins to catch the ball almost 10 feet out of bonds for an incomplete pass?

Maybe Levis should try throwing the ball in the actual field of play instead.  

It was obvious to me he ran the wrong route and Levis wasn’t happy.  I think he realized it took the criticism and walked away feeling a little embarrassed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I will say this if we can somehow draft a shutdown Corner, Ballard will be building a monster on Defense. We still give up too many short passes which Gus drives me crazy with but add another great Corner to the mix, that will solve some problems. If we still had Gilmore this year, our D would be really good.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say this if we can somehow draft a shutdown Corner, Ballard will be building a monster on Defense. We still give up too many short passes which Gus drives me crazy with but add another great Corner to the mix, that will solve some problems. If we still had Gilmore this year, our D would be really good.

IDK? I have a lot of faith in Brents and Jones moving forward. Think they will only improve. Also think it will be hard to bring in a guy and stunt their growth, not really a staple of Ballard's. He likes to let his young guys eat.

We need some more depth though, even more so if we don't bring Kenny back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It was obvious to me he ran the wrong route and Levis wasn’t happy.  I think he realized it took the criticism and walked away feeling a little embarrassed.

Again, the “wrong route” defense doesn’t fly here. If Hopkins ran the wrong route he didn’t miss it by much. 

The same, however, cannot be said of Levis who would have had to throw the ball into the 3rd row to miss Hopkins any worse. 

He missed. He straight up whiffed on the pass and missed his guy entirely and then got mad at him for it. If Hopkins ran the wrong route he still wound up in the area where Levis was going with it, but Levis whiffed and missed him. 

But fine. I’ll bite. 

Let’s play devils advocate.

Hopkins did run the wrong route. Levis was expecting him to keep moving up the sidelines on a go instead. 

The pass was still uncatchable. It landed several feet out of bounds to the right. No human being in the history of mankind has ever existed with a frame capable of catching that pass even if he was right there with it.

Levis missed, right route or not.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something going unnoticed is the comers are better in coverage and their have been a lot of coverage sacks.

I just hope Bradley stays aggressive(even more so than he has been) against these young QB's.

Less time to think, rush their decision.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Again, the “wrong route” defense doesn’t fly here. If Hopkins ran the wrong route he didn’t miss it by much. 

The same, however, cannot be said of Levis who would have had to throw the ball into the 3rd row to miss Hopkins any worse. 

He missed. He straight up whiffed on the pass and missed his guy entirely and then got mad at him for it. If Hopkins ran the wrong route he still wound up in the area where Levis was going with it, but Levis whiffed and missed him. 

But fine. I’ll bite. 

Let’s play devils advocate.

Hopkins did run the wrong route. Levis was expecting him to keep moving up the sidelines on a go instead. 

The pass was still uncatchable. It landed several feet out of bounds to the right. No human being in the history of mankind has ever existed with a frame capable of catching that pass even if he was right there with it.

Levis missed, right route or not.  

Levis is a very accurate deep ball passer.  Intentionally uncatchable is the way it looked to me. For me you can tell by Hopkins reaction and body language that he knows he screwed up.  Even the great ones make mistakes.  Lucky for us I think.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nancy said:

Why are there 3 guys doing the game in the booth??  Awkward and too much!!

I think this is sorta try out year for Ryan.  If he wasn’t good or wanted to back out (remember he didn’t officially retire) Barber is there to jump in and help teach Ryan.

• Like 1

Just watched the game - big win on the road against a division rival! It is great seeing the fight from the Colts, the special teams unit being a difference maker, and the defense locking down and dominating the 2nd half.

The combination of Pierce's speed and vertical shots, physical over the middle possession receiving game of Pittman, and explosive slot and swing game of Downs is making the offense difficult to predict.

(and it felt good seeing Levis take another L, fumble the ball multiple times, and yell at his Hall of Fame WR)

Go Colts!!

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Levis is a very accurate deep ball passer.  Intentionally uncatchable is the way it looked to me. For me you can tell by Hopkins reaction and body language that he knows he screwed up.  Even the great ones make mistakes.  Lucky for us I think.

I agree. No way Hopkins takes that from Levis unless he knew he knew he was wrong. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I agree. No way Hopkins takes that from Levis unless he knew he knew he was wrong. 

Or he’s mature enough to know getting into it with his QB on the sideline in the middle of the game isn’t going to help anyone rather he’s right or wrong.  

26 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

Just watched the game - big win on the road against a division rival! It is great seeing the fight from the Colts, the special teams unit being a difference maker, and the defense locking down and dominating the 2nd half.

The combination of Pierce's speed and vertical shots, physical over the middle possession receiving game of Pittman, and explosive slot and swing game of Downs is making the offense difficult to predict.

(and it felt good seeing Levis take another L, fumble the ball multiple times, and yell at his Hall of Fame WR)

Go Colts!!

I don’t get why some Colts fans hate Levis so much.  All he did was not get drafted by the Colts but do whatever makes you happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t get why some Colts fans hate Levis so much.  All he did was not get drafted by the Colts but do whatever makes you happy.

Agree. I think it’s interesting to talk about the Levis-Hopkins interaction but no need to hate on Levis. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t hate levis but he did not make a positive impression on me today whatsoever acting like a bozo over a terrible throw. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

it’s because making another rookie qb look bad makes the Richardson pick look better and some said Levis looked better than Richardson. You know how these forums are. If you are so confident Richardson is that good, why worry about other rookie qb’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

jw isn’t going to listen to reason, he is a Levis hater and will make up things to back it up. Everyone can see from the video what really happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

glad we won the game. special teams bailed us out.

minshew is good for at least one pick per game it seems, he is consistently throwing the ball to the other team, they just tend to drop it the last couple of weeks.,

im glad we have won so many in a row now, but its hard to not see the flaws in minshew and his tendency to miss on throws wide or high. 

also, shane should be in convo for coach of the year

• Like 1

Overall a crazy game but a win is a win. Minshew drives me nuts. He can make most of the throws you need to win but he has got to be the most anxious qb I’ve ever seen in my life.  Maybe they need to give him some Valium before the game to calm him down lol.   If he has anyone even remotely near him it’s like the computer in his brain starts malfunctioning and everything misfires. Last week he even turned around and started running the wrong way lol. 
   Another thing about him that drives me nuts is how he avoids any contact at all cost. Let’s say it’s 3rd down and 3 and no one is open and he sees some daylight. He will run and see a guy 5 yards ahead and instead of getting the first down and then sliding he will slide down 2 yards away from the first down or throw the ball away or worse and try and force a throw to a covered wr.    He did it once in this game. He could have gotten a first down and instead slid way behind the marker. I’m all for being careful ( especially with all the injuries to qb us colts fans have had to go through with luck and AR) but sometimes you gotta take a hit to get those important first downs.   Btw I’m grateful for minshew. As a backup things could be much worse. I just wish he could fix his flaws. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

What? We got the talent why because of the silly year last year. I don’t know why the simple minded folk think we don’t have the talent this a players league we got talent or we wouldn’t be winning it’s that simple. We got few young receivers who starting to come into there own if that’s what you mean? It’s takes time and now we’re starting to seeing it on the field Rome wasn’t built in a day.  I mean Steichen had done a good job putting players in the right position to be successful but it’s a players league. But if you base everything on last season you don’t know this team very well. Where is it you think we’re so deficient? Because I’m not seeing it yeah we need Grove back but I pretty job overall at stopping the run considering there is no magic wand in this league. 

We are deficient at some of the most important positions in this league - QB(this is the most obvious one - hopefully AR changes that), WR(I know people are excited after this game, but we should look at the big picture and overall our WR group has been below average for a while now and we need more than one good game from them to pronounce that problem solved), secondary and especially CB(now, we have some young/injured players there so we will see how that group develops but as it stands right now IMO that group is below average for the league too)... 

We have some good talent and we have some promise from a few of the young guys, but IMO right now our offense is highly schemed(read coach and playcall dependent), I read some stat that the Colts are the team that runs most RPOs in the league and by a huge margin - we are at 24% and the second highest is 19%. On the other end our defense has not really been tested as much as most teams get tested. We have faced relatively soft QB schedule and the good QBs have dissected this D(Lawrence, Carr, Stafford). IMO right now this team looks like a team that's overperforming its talent and is winning games based on edges that the coaching staff is finding and exploiting.