Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank fired by Panthers (Merged)

runthepost

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The GM needs to go as well. I really doubt that would have been Frank's pick, if he were given the choice. I bet it is a matter of time.

Have they squandered the capital gained from the McCaffrey trade?  That trade is looking like a waste at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Gannon will be fine.  

Not saying Levis is going to be great or good but imagine if they had just stayed at nine took Levis and kept all their offensive weapons.

OR they could have waited till the 2024 draft to give up that draft equity for the No.1 pick, deeper WR draft too.

• Like 1

Changing coaches isn't gonna make Bryce Young 6 ft.+ 225 lbs. 

Trading away CMC, DJ Moore, not resigning Curtis Samuel, extending Robbie Anderson :), not holding on to Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick after 2021, the list of GM crimes is long with Scott Fitterer. How does that dude have a job?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

It didn't help either with what D Ryans has done with the Texans or what Shane has done with the Colts MINUS his star rookie qb in the making. I'm not sure he's even an upper tier oc. He was fired in San Diego because of the offense that lacked explosive plays and in Philly he was oc by title only because hc Peterson called the plays.

Early in his Panther tenure some fans were calling for Frank to relinquish playcalling duties (sound familiar) and ultimately some in their management agreed as Frank reluctantly gave up those duties after saying that's not what the team needed at the time. It was announced a couple of weeks ago that Frank had reclaimed those duties but continued to garner subpar results. I wish Frank well because by ALL accounts he's truly a good person.

Yeah, I have never had anything but respect for Frank Reich as a person.  And one can't ignore the success he had as an Offensive Coordinator.

But he's just not a great NFL Head Coach.  I don't even think he's a good one.  Maybe he's just....too nice.

Anyway, it would be fascinating to know what discussions were like between Reich, Scott Fitterer, and David Tepper as regards the 2023 draft.  There have been some rumors -- but I don't know how reliable they are.

Bryce Young just has not looked very good in his rookie season.  And it can't help matters that CJ Stroud looks likely to be a future star at the position.  The Panthers bet the farm on getting the #1 pick.  If you do that, you had damn well better strike gold.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Have they squandered the capital gained from the McCaffrey trade?  That trade is looking like a waste at the moment.

They could've been patient, had Wilkes as the head coach with CMC, Moore and Levis. The team would've looked so much different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trading away CMC, DJ Moore, not resigning Curtis Samuel, extending Robbie Anderson , not holding on to Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick after 2021, the list of GM crimes is long with Scott Fitterer. How does that dude have a job?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

They did him bogus. How you going to fire a 1st year coach mid season when you trade away you two best players and you have no other good players really. No coach could win with that team.

Yoy have to at least show your competent and know what your doing. This was more than just the one win record. There is also a lot of deep stuff going on with that owner and GM.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trading away CMC, DJ Moore, not resigning Curtis Samuel, extending Robbie Anderson , not holding on to Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick after 2021, the list of GM crimes is long with Scott Fitterer. How does that dude have a job?

And the NFC South has been pretty weak.  They'd probably be leading/contending for the division even if Levis was the QB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, I have never had anything but respect for Frank Reich as a person.  And one can't ignore the success he had as an Offensive Coordinator.

But he's just not a great NFL Head Coach.  I don't even think he's a good one.  Maybe he's just....too nice.

Anyway, it would be fascinating to know what discussions were like between Reich, Scott Fitterer, and David Tepper as regards the 2023 draft.  There have been some rumors -- but I don't know how reliable they are.

Bryce Young just has not looked very good in his rookie season.  And it can't help matters that CJ Stroud looks likely to be a future star at the position.  The Panthers bet the farm on getting the #1 pick.  If you do that, you had damn well better strike gold.

He was fired when he called plays for chargers. Never called plays for eagles either. Safe t say he is not a good or genius play caller.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yoy have to at least show your competent and know what your doing. This was more than just the one win record. There is also a lot of deep stuff going on with that owner and GM.

Yeah i mean how you going to win games when you have zero threats on offense and your best player on offense is Adam Thielen?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trading away CMC, DJ Moore, not resigning Curtis Samuel, extending Robbie Anderson :), not holding on to Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick after 2021, the list of GM crimes is long with Scott Fitterer. How does that dude have a job?

I'm wondering if he's the owner's Son in Law or something...

22 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Ownership is the issue at Carolina. 

Dude legit thought he could just "Jerry Jones" the Panthers and walk in and win. Screwing people - I mean hedge funding - does not equate to successfully running a football team. 

I'll say this about Irsay: he says a lot of stupid things, but he's usually pretty level headed and only makes a serious move when he feels it's a necessity. We now know Frank had completely lost the locker room by the time we let him go last year. It was probably one of the few times Jim made a decision based off of emotion. 

Tepper seems to be a spoiled brat who's not used to not getting what he wants. Throwing a tantrum in the locker room and then just firing coaches left and right is not how you build a team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would bet Frank heavily preferred the QB they picked too.  

The prevailing rumor is that Frank wanted Stroud, but Tepper wanted Young and forced the pick.

Based on the scenes we saw of the Panthers' staff with Stroud at his pro-day, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that they were taking Stroud, which makes me believe those rumors are true. Add in how much of an impatient meddler Tepper is. Add to it that he just fired the HC and Asst Coach of his MLS team after they made the playoffs in the team's first season in existence. Dude made his money as a hedge fund manager, so he expects immediate results and hasn't shown the ability for having the patience needed to build a successful sports team. Carolina will be the worst team in the league year after year until Tepper steps back from personnel decisions.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

The prevailing rumor is that Frank wanted Stroud, but Tepper wanted Young and forced the pick.

Based on the scenes we saw of the Panthers' staff with Stroud at his pro-day, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that they were taking Stroud, which makes me believe those rumors are true. Add in how much of an impatient meddler Tepper is. Add to it that he just fired the HC and Asst Coach of his MLS team after they made the playoffs in the team's first season in existence. Dude made his money as a hedge fund manager, so he expects immediate results and hasn't shown the ability for having the patience needed to build a successful sports team. Carolina will be the worst team in the league year after year until Tepper steps back from personnel decisions.

Wow that’s crazy about his soccer team.

• Shive changed the title to Frank fired by Panthers (Merged)
2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow that’s crazy about his soccer team.

Correction, it was their 2nd season in existence as an expansion team:

Charlotte FC was an expansion team that began play in 2022. This past season, Charlotte won 10 with 11 losses and 13 draws, finishing ninth of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference. Charlotte made the playoffs and lost to the New York Red Bulls in the first round. It finished ninth in 2022 as well. That's not too bad for an expansion team.

• Like 2

Another thing: the head coach should not have to be meeting with the owner on a weekly basis. Especially to one that has no clue how football works. 

I remember we locally had a dentist family (very wealthy) decide that they wanted to own and run a Steak 'n Shake in our area. They had no experience with the food industry, and instead of hiring a very competent manager to run the show, they instead decided to meddle with everything. The restaurant only lasted a few years before eventually going out of business. 

To all you wealthy overlords out there: do yourself a favor and step back and have someone with EXPERIENCE run your little fun side project. Because unlike you, the people working in that side project are trying to make a living! 

This is why I dislike the wealthy, and have a negative bias towards them. They've screwed my family, my town and my very way of life all for their own selfishness. 

/end rant. 

• Like 1

On a side note, from the comments Reich made about Tepper during the season and now this in-season firing I think Tepper might be the new Jerry Jones minus the actual GM experience and team-building knowledge. 

Too meddlesome. 

They could be in for a rough stretch in Carolina. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Too bad the GM isn't going with him - Frank may have sealed his own fate by taking over playcalling which got him fired from here, but the GM had the #1 pick and a choice between Young, Stroud, Richardson & Levis and he picked the worst of all of them first overall, and that's not Frank's fault unless he personally lobbied for Young, which I doubt is the case.

frank liked tall qbs the gm must have picked young, the gm needs fired too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When Frank was here he was an above average coach up until last year. It seemed like he lost the team last year, hence everything was bad. FWIW, he wanted Stroud, Tepper wanted Young. Tepper even said he loved Young and Frank has always like the big and tall QB's. So, just by that it is obvious who wanted who. 

it is hard for a tiny qb to excel in the nfl, frank should have quit when young was chosen over stroud

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

it is hard for a tiny qb to excel in the nfl, frank should have quit when young was chosen over stroud

That is where the problem started IMO. When Tepper stepped in and they drafted Young. Panthers were doomed chemistry wise from there. I will admit, I thought Young would be good, that his size would not matter. That is really the only bad prediction I have made all season regarding Young and thinking the Panthers would be good enough to win that weak division.

• Like 1