Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign safety Tyreque Jones to practice squad

1959Colts

Well, Ross Blacklock didnt last long...

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/10/30/23939214/colts-sign-former-jets-safety-tyreque-jones-to-practice-squad-release-dt-ross-blacklock

Colts sign former Jets safety Tyreque Jones to practice squad; Release DT Ross Blacklock

The Colts continue to churn the bottom of their practice squad, this time with long-armed safety Tyreque Jones.

...Box safety featuring good size and closing speed but a lack of fluidity to hold up to man-coverage duties as a pro. Jones plays with good toughness and a willingness to mix it up near the line of scrimmage. He’s capable in short zone coverage or against certain in-line tight ends, but he loses effectiveness when playing in reverse. Jones’ extreme length will catch the attention of traits-hungry teams, but those same teams will face limitations in how they are able use him.

Jones looks like he could prove to be a reliable special teamer or backup nickel/safety in time, who not coincidentally might be best suited to be deployed in a Cover 3 defensive scheme like the Colts infamously utilize these days.

About a week ago I said in a thread something to the effect of - "I'm not conspiracy theorist, but I have to wonder if it's a planned tank".

I know the players don't want to lose.  I know the coaches don't want to lose.

But I'm convinced the FO is doing nothing to win.    Didn't address the lack of pass rush, when there were two cheap answers from Washington.  I understand that we'd have to pay those guys, but it was a free trial this year.  And if one worked out, then they're worth it.

So, if we're not it Tank mode, then we're definitely in - stay the course and let it ride mode.  So far, that's not going so well.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

About a week ago I said in a thread something to the effect of - "I'm not conspiracy theorist, but I have to wonder if it's a planned tank".

I know the players don't want to lose.  I know the coaches don't want to lose.

But I'm convinced the FO is doing nothing to win.    Didn't address the lack of pass rush, when there were two cheap answers from Washington.  I understand that we'd have to pay those guys, but it was a free trial this year.  And if one worked out, then they're worth it.

So, if we're not it Tank mode, then we're definitely in - stay the course and let it ride mode.  So far, that's not going so well.

Lack of pass rush? We lead the league in TFL, top 10 for sacks. We don’t get there without a pash rush.  Now it could be improved and CB and Safety play definitively needs attention but pash rush is about 5-6 down the list of things this team needs

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Lack of pass rush? We lead the league in TFL, top 10 for sacks. We don’t get there without a pash rush.  Now it could be improved and CB and Safety play definitively needs attention but pash rush is about 5-6 down the list of things this team needs

Not sure where you're getting your stats from?  We're not top 10 in sacks.  We are top 10 in percentage of drives that lead to a score (on defense).  We're 7th in giving up passing yards.  Yes - lead the league in TFL.  (All of the above is skewed with teams not playing the same amount of games.

Eye test - Did you watch the NO game?  Carr could have baked a cake back there.  The only time he was in trouble was when he ran into Buck for the strip sack.

We have some CB talent that's injured, hopefully they'll come back healthy next season.  But I don't see anything improving in the pass rush department.  

IMHO, pass rush is the #1 issue on D.  I think the O is decent and will be good when AR comes back.  

Never heard of him.

As for Blalock - just remember the "practice squad" is just that - a way for teams to bring in long-shot players and give them an on-field chance to potentially make the team.

It's comparing "apples" (53-man roster) - AND - "potatoes" (practice squad)!!