Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

last in afc south

OLD FAN MAN

3 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

surely we are not going to finish in last place in the afc south, arent we better than that?

It's killing me to see the (not so long ago) dumpster fire  jags franchise running things in the division.

It makes my brain hurt..

I really don’t understand why anyone thinks we should be good?

Injuries (and gambling) devastated the CB room, backup QB, and no pass rush.

You can’t blame Ballard for the injuries.  But we can blame him if he doesn’t try to trade for a legitimate pass rusher, like Sweat or Young.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballards roster now has sole possession of last place in our division. his defense has now allowed the most points in the nfl. delayed gratification!!!!

I am serious when I say this. Don't be shocked if this team has a chance at a top qb in the draft. When Minshew took over, people were saying we could go 500. I was the negative one saying don't be surprised if we win 2 games if lucky.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U r right. AR went down, so that should afford teflon Ballard another 5 seasons or so!!

I thought minshew was actually playing better than ar.   If gm falls off why wouldn’t aR fall off from his play

its amazing how fandom makes folks think that the guy who isn’t here would be better 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I thought minshew was actually playing better than ar.   If gm falls off why wouldn’t aR fall off from his play

its amazing how fandom makes folks think that the guy who isn’t here would be better 

I have really like what I have seen from Richardson. That being said. If they get a chance a top guy again, you take him

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It isn't fandom.  Before AR got hurt for the entire season, many of us were saying that Minshew has atrocious pocket awareness and is very limited in what he can do.  Not hating or trying to pile on the guy.  I still think he's a solid backup, but we are seeing why he's a backup even more clearly.  

Just now, kymd82222 said:

"Teflon Ballard" made me literally laugh out loud.  

Well, I get hammered a lot on this board for my so called negative views of this team. I have said for years that Ballard is not a good GM. Time to blow it up. Trade Moore, Buckner, Moss and Cox. I can only think of a few lol. Striechen has proven enough to me and give him full control, as I said a?couple weeks ago he will get. Ballard and Bradley will be gone. If they lose against Carolina. Oh my, there will be trouble.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well, I get hammered a lot on this board for my so called negative views of this team. I have said for years that Ballard is not a good GM. Time to blow it up. Trade Moore, Buckner, Moss and Cox. I can only think of a few lol. Striechen has proven enough to me and give him full control, as I said a?couple weeks ago he will get. Ballard and Bradley will be gone. If they lose against Carolina. Oh my, there will be trouble.

I agree with you.  This notion that you literally need about ten years to build a contender is just not true in today's NFL.  All we have heard is how much of a "process" it is to build a good team, though.  Don't get me wrong, it is a process, but it's not a 7-10 year process to at least build a contender like it used to be.  

My biggest gripe with Ballard is that he builds a team like it's the 80s and 90s.  A time when LB run stoppers and great RBs on offense were the most valuable positions.  It's completely opposite now.  A good secondary and a pass rusher will give you a good D.  Good WRs, a good QB, and paying or drafting a great LT (Instead of blowing your entire load and overpaying a freaking GUARD) will give you a good offense.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I agree with you.  This notion that you literally need about ten years to build a contender is just not true in today's NFL.  All we have heard is how much of a "process" it is to build a good team, though.  Don't get me wrong, it is a process, but it's not a 7-10 year process to at least build a contender like it used to be.  

My biggest gripe with Ballard is that he builds a team like it's the 80s and 90s.  A time when LB run stoppers and great RBs on offense were the most valuable positions.  It's completely opposite now.  A good secondary and a pass rusher will give you a good D.  Good WRs, a good QB, and paying or drafting a great LT (Instead of blowing your entire load and overpaying a freaking GUARD) will give you a good offense.  

It's actually deeper than that, and I agree with u on your points.He has whiffed on so manny of his picks. No #1 receiver, no #1 corner, no #1 edge rusher. Just a bunch of guys and jonestly it's a mess. The next GM is going to have to tear this down and start over defensively. I love it when everyone dumps on me and trying to say Ballard is a good GM. I am like show me the evidence.  He has Leonard as his only pick that has gained elite status. I have argued that Leoanrd was over rated and was scheme player. I think Franklin proved me right lol.  PS how does that Taylor 3xtejsion look now? Honestly, I had  to wait till the play was over to see if it was either  Taylor or Moss cause it was so hard to differentiate based on their playing style. What a waste of money. Once again, Ballard should have waited till the off-season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have really like what I have seen from Richardson. That being said. If they get a chance a top guy again, you take him

I don’t think there is anyway that happens.  There are always new drafts and QBs every year.   If ar is not the answer we can get one of them then.  

the salary cap and roster structure will not allow back to back top 5 QBs.  Jmo 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don’t think there is anyway that happens.  There are always new drafts and QBs every year.   If ar is not the answer we can get one of them then.  

I agree that they probably won't do it but I would. Let us say that Richardon comes back and does well and then gets hurt again? Let's say they go like 8 and 9 or whatever but they realize they cannot go into 2025 with Richardson. They would not be picking that high but in need of another qb. That would leave them another year of not having the guy. This whole experiment could take up another 3 years to get another top guy if needed. Does that make sense? I would take a qb next year. Let's say Richarson balls out and u got Maye or another guy on the bench. I bet his trade value is still high. We also don't know how Richardson's recovery will go. It may not fully heal. 

22 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

It isn't fandom.  Before AR got hurt for the entire season, many of us were saying that Minshew has atrocious pocket awareness and is very limited in what he can do.  Not hating or trying to pile on the guy.  I still think he's a solid backup, but we are seeing why he's a backup even more clearly.  

The opinion of minshew has nothing to do with why fans think ar would be better at this point though.  

He wasn’t better than minshew when he was playing and there is nothing to say that ar would not fall off from that point or ascend.   But fans just assume he would ascend.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The opinion of minshew has nothing to do with why fans think ar would be better at this point though.  

He wasn’t better than minshew when he was playing and there is nothing to say that ar would not fall off from that point or ascend.   But fans just assume he would ascend.  

He was playing MUCH better than Minshew. That’s a fact. Now whether he would have struggled against the top Ds we just faced or not is anyone’s guess but AR I think gives you 2/3 of those wins

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's actually deeper than that, and I agree with u on your points.He has whiffed on so manny of his picks. No #1 receiver, no #1 corner, no #1 edge rusher. Just a bunch of guys and jonestly it's a mess. The next GM is going to have to tear this down and start over defensively. I love it when everyone dumps on me and trying to say Ballard is a good GM. I am like show me the evidence.  He has Leonard as his only pick that has gained elite status. I have argued that Leoanrd was over rated and was scheme player. I think Franklin proved me right lol.  PS how does that Taylor 3xtejsion look now? Honestly, I had  to wait till the play was over to see if it was either  Taylor or Moss cause it was so hard to differentiate based on their playing style. What a waste of money. Once again, Ballard should have waited till the off-season.

Speaking of edge rushers, I remember that some of my friends were over the moon when we drafted Paye, a guy that didn't even quite reach 12 CAREER sacks at Michigan.  I'm not hating on Paye because he is what he is and it isn't his fault that he got drafted at #14...But what the heck? Draft a PROVEN pass rushing DE, not a project based on potential.  That's one example of Ballard's "whiffs".  The thing is, I'm not hating on Paye, and he isn't a total whiff.  He was just drafted way too high.  If he had been a late 2nd or 3rd rounder, I wouldn't have a problem with him.  And I actually like him as a player, if that makes sense.  

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballards roster now has sole possession of last place in our division. his defense has now allowed the most points in the nfl. delayed gratification!!!!

But just wait around for the Ballard apologist. I must admit, however, that they are rather invisible tonight.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I don't know what you were watching, no offense.  AR was way better than Minshew when he played.  He had way better pocket awareness and was only a rookie.  He wasn't a turnover machine.  He could actually make tough plays when he had to.  

Ballard probably gets an extra year from Irsay of this retool because of the AR injury so I still think he is here for a while.  

At this point, he is who he is: an average GM who was/is overhyped and played up by the media (both local and national) and whose accolades are nowhere near what his results, resume support.

I think it is very telling that a hallmark of his time is repeatedly the teams season being undermined in multiple years by an area of the roster that he skimped on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would pick a pocket playing QB that can read defenses every year until you get it right. But I know the Colts M.O.

stick with a bad player for at least 4 to 5 years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Ballard probably gets an extra year from Irsay of this retool because of the AR injury so I still think he is here for a while.  

At this point, he is who he is: an average GM who was/is overhyped and played up by the media (both local and national) and whose accolades are nowhere near what his results, resume support.

I think it is very telling that a hallmark of his time is repeatedly the teams season being undermined in multiple years by an area of the roster that he skimped on. 

I think he is gone. You don't  think Steichen sees what he has assembled?  If Steichen wants to win, he will pull a coup.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he is gone. You don't  think Steichen sees what he has assembled?  If Steichen wants to win, he will pull a coup.

Ballard isn't going anywhere.   You will get to keep your whipping boy for at least 2 more years

You hate Ballard, irsay doesn't

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those who think he is a good GM and continually give excuses for this teams performance.

So you think he is a bad GM? So, anyone that remotely says he been good at times, there opinion has no merit? Just trying to figure out what you are saying. I seriously doubt anyone in here has said he has done a great job or that he is great. List their names if they do think that. I am just curious. Just because someone doesn't think he is bad, doesn't make them an apologist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He was playing MUCH better than Minshew. That’s a fact. Now whether he would have struggled against the top Ds we just faced or not is anyone’s guess but AR I think gives you 2/3 of those wins

No he wasn’t much better

I saw nothing to suggest that the offense would score more points with ar than with minshew.  Back then or now.  

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you think he is a bad GM? So, anyone that remotely says he been good at times, there opinion has no merit? Just trying to figure out what you are saying. I seriously doubt anyone in here has said he has done a great job or that he is great. List their names if they do think that. I am just curious. Just because someone doesn't think he is bad, doesn't make them an apologist.

If someone in any profession that  has a record below 500, then how would u rate that person's performance? We do it all the time with players such as qbs and pitchers, to name a few, so why cat I do it with Ballard? U can say he is average, but I want him no where near the Colts 2024 picks.

22 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah, I don't know what you were watching, no offense.  AR was way better than Minshew when he played.  He had way better pocket awareness and was only a rookie.  He wasn't a turnover machine.  He could actually make tough plays when he had to.  

Ar was better then than minshew is now.  But minshew was better then then than minshew is now

so why would you assume that ar would continue his level of play

im not saying he wouldnt.  But I can’t figure out why people think that ar would be playing better than minshew right now.  We don’t know.  But they seem to know. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ar was better then than minshew is now.  But minshew was better then then than minshew is now

so why would you assume that ar would continue his level of play

im not saying he wouldnt.  But I can’t figure out why people think that ar would be playing better than minshew right now.  We don’t know.  But they seem to know. 

I understand what u r saying. I think fans are just hoping that Richardson would continue to evolve into a superstar. The  NFL is a very humbling league.  I was not a Stroud fan and everyone is saying the Texans have found their guy. People need to pump the brakes, as it is a long season and tape gets out there. Stroud has surpassed what I thought he could be and I will admit that. Levi tore it up today, and people are all over it. Could he the best in the draft? Maybe as I had him as the Colts pick and he was my qb. That being said, when the Colts picked  Richardson, I was giddy on what could be.