Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Saints post game reaction

GoColts8818

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am telling you the poor depth at CB goes back to Ballard. He will not survive this if he doesn’t fix it before Tuesday.  

And I'll offer this counter-argument:  This wasn't the plan.  The guys who played today weren't CB's plan.  The plan was to have Isaiah Rodgers and Dallis Flowers starting, with Kenny Moore playing nickel, JuJu Brents getting playing time, and the rest mostly playing special teams.  I'm not going to blame CB for where we are.  But I will blame CB if he doesn't find a replacement.  Because Brown is the worst DB in the league, and he proved it again today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Brown is the whipping dog today because he allowed 1 TD?   How did the Saints score the other 31 pts?

Absolutely, Saints averaged 4.5 yds a carry. Front 7 was bad today. The lack of any kind of consistent pass rush outside of a blitz put tremendous pressure on the young DB’s. Brown was bad , but this loss is on the defense as a whole.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Franklin allowed one TD and another big play because of terrible coverage. Both were by Kamara I think.

Also, the defense' inability to recognize a run by Hill...

Franklin vs Kamara isn't really a Gus problem or a Ballard problem though.  Its good defense recognition by Carr.  Good QBs and receivers see mismatches.  Kamara against any ILB would be a mismatch.

Good:

-Downs continues to shine

-Offense scored 20+ again

-Taylor looks back to form

Bad:

-Leonard can’t be on this team next year. Enough is enough. It’s been 8 games now

-I’m more confident that Pittman isn’t going to get paid. He’s 6’4” but all his production comes from underneath stuff and it’s manufactured

-Bradley in general but something I heard on a podcast that was evident today, is that his defense after an offensive turnover is horrible. 
-Blackmon was invisible

-Minshew needs to know when to let a play die

Biggest takeaway is the issue the team has always had under Ballard with depth showed itself again. Everyone in the secondary not named Brent’s is a 3rd string player or PS on any other team. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Absolutely, Saints averaged 4.5 yds a carry. Front 7 was bad today. The lack of any kind of consistent pass rush outside of a blitz put tremendous pressure on the young DB’s. Brown was bad , but this loss is on the defense as a whole.

Missed Grover.  Well, the juiced version of Grover.

• Like 3

Just now, DougDew said:

Franklin vs Kamara isn't really a Gus problem or a Ballard problem though.  Its good defense recognition by Carr.  Good teams see mis matches between Kamara and any ILB.

If the Gus didn't consider this before the game it's on him. If he did consider it and the plan was for Franklin to cover him it's on the Gus AND Franklin for not being good enough. If we don't have talent on the team to address mismatches it's on Ballard.

If there's a mismatch and you don't have an answer for it, because of ineptitude or talent, are you just going to say "Oh well, it was a mismatch and we couldn't do anything about it."?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

The good thing about those loses is that we are losing in all the most predictable ways - namely at the spots we are horribly understaffed/injured at - QB, outside corner... 

It means that IMO we have something at HC with Steichen and scheme... at least offensively. We just need better talent at certain spots. And we might already have it(but they are injured - AR, Brents, etc.) 

This roster needs work, but the areas of concern are relatively well defined. IMO this should not be a hard job for Ballard to figure out. Lets see if he does it next off-season. 

he has failed for 7 years , cant pick wrs or pass rushers or cbs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

With 229 points the Colts defense have given up the most points in the league so far.

Curious.  What is the rankings of the opposing offenses we've faced?  They're not really juggernauts this year are they?  No Cincy, KC, MIA and we've generally played a last place schedule?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hark said:

My hot take…Bradley gets fired at the bye week

He likely makes it to the end of year but this Colts defense historically touches its toes against QBs like this. It's a known problem. Gus is a good coach but it does feel a bit like he's spent a long time trying to recreate the legion of boom and that drive hampers his acceptance of reality

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If the Gus didn't consider this before the game it's on him. If he did consider it and the plan was for Franklin to cover him it's on the Gus AND Franklin for not being good enough. If we don't have talent on the team to address mismatches it's on Ballard.

If there's a mismatch and you don't have an answer for it, because of ineptitude or talent, are you just going to say "Oh well, it was a mismatch and we couldn't do anything about it."?

I assume Gus had run defense personnel in the game at that point?   I think any one play or several plays can have a mismatch when  the QB and receivers see it.

I mean. if Gus isn't going to play run defense at all why have Franklin even dress?

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Curious.  What is the rankings of the opposing offenses we've faced?  They're not really juggernauts this year are they?  No Cincy, KC, MIA and we've generally played a last place schedule?

Don't know, but the story on here was always our schedule was easy this season, so, yeah...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Don't know, but the story on here was always our schedule was easy this season, so, yeah...

I wasn't really making a statement with my question.  I'm just wondering if we've yet played any offense that's considered really good.

For as long as I can remember.  Our defense manages to give up enough points at the wrong times in tight games to lose.  There have been some defensive stands here and there, but its generally whimpered when opponents step on the gas.

We had no dominant pass rusher and a rookie/young secondary going into the season.  I'm surprised anybody thought that the defense would be good.

Oh yeah, Leonard was coming back....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I assume Gus had run defense personnel in the game at that point?   I think any one play or several plays can have a mismatch when  the QB and receivers see it.

I mean. if Gus isn't going to play run defense at all why have Franklin even dress?

So, because we don't have a LB that can cover a RB in the passing game it just is what it is?

Kamara is good, don't get me wrong, but the Saints using him in the passing game and that he's good is OLD news. Again, it's either on Gus, Franklin or Ballard or a combination of those 3 guys. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I wasn't really making a statement with my question.  I'm just wondering if we've yet played any offense that's considered really good.

For as long as I can remember.  Our defense manages to give up enough points at the wrong times in tight games to lose.  There have been some defensive stands here and there, but its generally whimpered when opponents step on the gas.

We had no dominant pass rusher and a rookie/young secondary going into the season.  I'm surprised anybody thought that the defense would be good.

ballard must have, he signed this talent

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So, because we don't have a LB that can cover a RB in the passing game it just is what it is?

Kamara is good, don't get me wrong, but the Saints using him in the passing game and that he's good is OLD news. Again, it's either on Gus, Franklin or Ballard or a combination of those 3 guys. 

This is what an elite RB looks like.  Along with McCaffrey.  They can stay in the game all three downs and a DC is never going to be able to tell if the NO or SF is going to pass or run.  Should Gus always have a pass based LBer corps in the game?   Saints averaged 4.5YPG, so the run was a concern.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

The Good

• JT and Moss - Good game by these guys. Too bad the opponents once again played the run and we fell behind with two scores.
  • Downs - He just keeps producing.
  • Pittman - I guess he had an okay game. Only 40 yards on 8 catches though.
  • Still, the offense put up 27 points.

The Bad

• Brown - Just no..
  • Franklin - The guy can't cover.
  • Defense in general - Injuries blah blah injuries... There's a general lack of star power and quality depth on this team, but it just shows on defense everytime a starter goes down.
  • Oline - Most expensive Oline in the game keeps getting pushed around.
  • Minshew - He's a backup. It shows.

I don't know, man. Watching this crap is so disheartening. I know we have injuries, but so do every team. The Saints just had, what, 7 guys out with illness during this week? They still came into our house and put up 38...

I'll pick this post to quote, because it expresses my feelings to a T.  This is a bad football team that gets pushed around on both sides of the LOS.  There isn't nearly enough passing game to stop teams from loading the box against the run.  You have to be able to punish the other team when they do that.

The defense is about 3 levels shy of atrocious.  The only stops today came on the single sack we had (I think I heard we only had 3 hits on the QB?) and some badly thrown balls (and a drop that hit their unmolested receiver square in the face).

I'm tired of driving 2 hours each way to sit in the same seats every home game to watch this futility.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Spot on. They are properly taking Leonard out on 3rd and long, unfortunately Zaire is also worthy of replacing. Zaire has value but reminds of Anthony Walker. Z makes more plays but also is often beaten by a step.

LB'S that can cover are special.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh I agree. Our defense being less than stellar is not unexpected (by me at least), but I probably didn't think we'd be giving up 38-39 points in back to back weeks. The defense has given up an average of 28.63 ppg so far. Your Offense has to be top of the league to keep up with that. There's actually only the Dolphins that could've overcome giving up that many points so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Spot on. They are properly taking Leonard out on 3rd and long, unfortunately Zaire is also worthy of replacing. Zaire has value but reminds of Anthony Walker. Z makes more plays but also is often beaten by a step.

LB'S that can cover are special.

zaire leads the league in tackles for gains!!

• Thanks 1