Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I do think if he has to go on IR it will be done before game Sunday so it counts as a game.

I really hope he doesn’t have to go on IR.  I’m sure they feel the same way.  It’s early in the season.  As long as surgery isn’t decided upon I would just take it week to week.  He might turn out to be a fast healer.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I really hope he doesn’t have to go on IR.  I’m sure they feel the same way.  It’s early in the season.  As long as surgery isn’t decided upon I would just take it week to week.  He might turn out to be a fast healer.

Most likely it’s going to be IR if it was a grade 3.

Richardson is a good quarterback. As bummed out as i am about his injury, he could really use this time to reflect, figure out what he needs to work on, and come back even better. He does alot of things really good, just need to refine some things and get in on the game. 

Honestly, if i was a professional qb i would need 4-6 weeks to work on things and refine my game after a while.

This could be a huge positive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's flying around the country getting second and third opinions. Probably includes new imaging. He's not playing this week, and he's probably out at least a month. I don't know what good additional updates would do.

I'm sure Steichen gets asked about it tomorrow, and I bet he says they don't have a timeline yet. And I don't think there's too much more we can expect right now. I think getting specific news before tomorrow is probably a bad thing, because it will probably mean he's having surgery and will be done for the year.

I hope he’s not carrying his own luggage, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's flying around the country getting second and third opinions. Probably includes new imaging. He's not playing this week, and he's probably out at least a month. I don't know what good additional updates would do.

I'm sure Steichen gets asked about it tomorrow, and I bet he says they don't have a timeline yet. And I don't think there's too much more we can expect right now. I think getting specific news before tomorrow is probably a bad thing, because it will probably mean he's having surgery and will be done for the year.

I agree. And my guess is surgery is most likely, which could explain the hunting for various opinions before going that route. Either way, AR is likely out for the year in my mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit off-topic, but watching the highlights from Sunday, Richardson is already so, so much better as a passer compared to last year at Florida. Like night and day. Steichen is a miracle worker for what he’s done. If AR can stay healthy, look out. Moss, Minshew, Zaire, and Downs also stuck out as looking excellent Sunday. What a game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Superman said:

#1, do we have a great QB, or a potentially great QB? I like some of what Richardson has shown, but we don't know the answer to this question yet.

#2, do we have a good enough HC? I'm thinking we probably do, but it's still early here also. 

I'm not too worried about everything else. I think the OL is getting better every game, the secondary is very much a work in progress but that's a long term project IMO, etc. 

The team might be good enough to win the division, and that would be good exposure and experience. I just I think the focus should be much bigger than the division. We dominated the division in Luck's early years, and couldn't get to the SB because we had second tier coaching and a second tier roster (at best). There's always going to be a couple 12-14 win teams in the conference, and the real question is how we measure up to those teams. IMO, we're not close. And this season's evaluation should tell us how far away we are, and help us chart the course into 2024.

Zach gone.

More than likely, but I still see a path to him staying.  I’m hopeful.

24 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

Richardson is a good quarterback. As bummed out as i am about his injury, he could really use this time to reflect, figure out what he needs to work on, and come back even better. He does alot of things really good, just need to refine some things and get in on the game. 

Honestly, if i was a professional qb i would need 4-6 weeks to work on things and refine my game after a while.

The silver lining here is that no matter how long AR is out, it won’t be time wasted. From every report we’ve seen, he spends almost all of his free time watching film and working on his play. That’s something you can’t coach into a guy. Reminds me a lot of Peyton.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

The silver lining here is that no matter how long AR is out, it won’t be time wasted. From every report we’ve seen, he spends almost all of his free time watching film and working in his play. That’s something you can’t coach into a guy. Reminds me a lot of Peyton.

The great ones live, eat and breathe football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

The silver lining here is that no matter how long AR is out, it won’t be time wasted. From every report we’ve seen, he spends almost all of his free time watching film and working on his play. That’s something you can’t coach into a guy. Reminds me a lot of Peyton.

He’s also stared he wants to transition to more of a mobile pocket passer to have a HoF career and that he has to work to get there. So I really do like the kid but I think you shut him down this season to heal and study

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 4daUColts said:

Youre talking to a group of people that thought it was the end of the world because AR didn't play a meaningless pre season game against the Bears :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Most likely it’s going to be IR if it was a grade 3.

I did not like Mond at all when he was with the Vikings, but he looked better with Cleveland this offseason.

(Side note: I saw your post about Anthony Miller. He was once a valued prospect, I believe. I wonder what happened to him.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4daUColts said:

Problem is it is his throwing arm and the part of his game that needs the most work is his throwing acturacy which he can work on now.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ha ha never mind. I had QB in my brain 

I think the Miller signing is very interesting.  Before the Taylor signing it was WR’s names that were being floated out there as possible players Ballard was interested in for Taylor.  Now a look see with Miller.  I think Ballard wants to acquire a WR1.  I’m thinking a fast deep threat.  No idea when he’s going to find one but I think it’s a high priority for him.  I’m thinking he finds one this off season.  Maybe FA or a trade like he did with Buckner.  But I think he’s going to acquire a veteran WR1 for the team.  Rookies take too long and might not pan out.  I think he’s going to follow the Bills path and go out and get a player like Diggs.  Just a hunch on my part of course.  But the continued interest is there.  The need is there too.

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the Miller signing is very interesting.  Before the Taylor signing it was WR’s names that were being floated out there as possible players Ballard was interested in for Taylor.  Now a look see with Miller.  I think Ballard wants to acquire a WR1.  I’m thinking a fast deep threat.  No idea when he’s going to find one but I think it’s a high priority for him.  I’m thinking he finds one this off season.  Maybe FA or a trade like he did with Buckner.  But I think he’s going to acquire a veteran WR1 for the team.  Rookies take too long and might not pan out.  I think he’s going to follow the Bills path and go out and get a player like Diggs.  Just a hunch on my part of course.  But the continued interest is there.  The need is there too.

I don’t see a trade for a high priced receiver. Not with Pittman needing sign. I think he will look towards draft. Also looks like downs has a very good chance to be a 1k yard WR. Heck he might get close this year. That was a heck of a draft pick by Ballard. Steal in the third round. 

• Like 2

I guess at this point just shut him down and start over next year. There’s no point in risking his future for a few games. 

If we’re in the playoff hunt by the time he’s recovered then it means Minshew has done a good enough job for this year to be the starter.

If we’re out of the playoff hunt then the season is lost anyways. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I guess at this point just shut him down and start over next year. There’s no point in risking his future for a few games. 

If we’re in the playoff hunt by the time he’s recovered then it means Minshew has done a good enough job for this year to be the starter.

If we’re out of the playoff hunt then the season is lost anyways. 

Right now he’s out four games.  That’s not season ending.  Even if he ends up being out longer the fact he needs as much experience as he can get has not changed.  So he plays whenever he can comeback.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So they are going to let him rehab before deciding on surgery. 8 weeks means he would be back the last few games.

If he doesn't have surgery, I doubt he will be out 8 weeks. They are just saying that to be cautious. I think he misses 5 games if I had to guess and comes back after the Bye on November 26th. I am not a doctor or psychic so that is a guess - I could be wrong. If he comes back after the Bye, we will have him for the last 7 games.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he doesn't have surgery, I doubt he will be out 8 weeks. They are just saying that to be cautious. I think he misses 5 games if I had to guess and comes back after the Bye on November 26th. I am not a doctor or psychic so that is a guess - I could be wrong. If he comes back after the Bye, we will have him for the last 7 games.

From what I have read if rehab works and takes the pain away no surgery is needed. The good thing it sounds like even with surgery he could come back for the last handful of games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Problem is it is his throwing arm and the part of his game that needs the most work is his throwing acturacy which he can work on now.

He will be working on his accuracy regarding footwork for the next couple of years so this time off is not a big deal. Now he will be focused on being a student of which he has already proven he is a good one.

I expect he will take additional time with the other position groups in meetings to broaden his knowledge. 

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

He will be working on his accuracy regarding footwork for the next couple of years so this time off is not a big deal. Now he will be focused on being a student of which he has already proven he is a good one.

I expect he will take additional time with the other position groups in meetings to broaden his knowledge. 

Yeah that I’d come in the off season. 

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Right now he’s out four games.  That’s not season ending.  Even if he ends up being out longer the fact he needs as much experience as he can get has not changed.  So he plays whenever he can comeback.

Yes. learning from the bench is not the way to learn.  He gets the mental part of the game pretty well by all accounts.  He needs game interaction and speed to help his situational and improv decision making and throwing.

• Thanks 1