Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

28 minutes ago, stitches said:

Him needing new contract at this exact moment might not be a negative. I would much rather have JT on 2023 RB contract than on 2021-2022 McCaffrey/Kamara/Henry/Chubb contract. If all he can get is like 11-12M a year this might be a good time to give him a contract if you've decided to give him one. There might never be better time to give a RB a contract. 

Agree. 

Just spitballing, but I think JT would settle for  $15 million guaranteed, if the "stay healthy and perform" portion of the new contract is reasonable.  I think a deal with a new team could get done pretty easily.

I agree with @throwing BBZ that this whole contract dispute from JTs side is about guaranteed money...and not really about total dollars.  Not because JT is going to take the money and run.  Its because he deserves it based upon his game breaking ability and the fact that RBs get injured.

I'm one of the critics who say that JT is not a "complete back".  But even I think what he can do is worth 15 million guaranteed over 3 years,   But I don't think SS wants to make that 3 year roster commitment to a RB who might not pass block and check down as well as he wants a RB to do.   So Ballard says..."we'll wait and see".   Uh huh.

Regardless about what I think SS thinks of JT, some team will value JT higher than SS does, IMO...and a free market always finds its own level.....so JT will end up with that team.   JT knows the Colts isn't that team, so he's trying to free up that market before he gets hurt seriously.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Dropped from your, holding firm at (2) 2et pretty quickly.

I probably would too.(Hunt + 3rd)

Well I think Hunt equals more than a 1, but not quite two 1s. A proven starting caliber RG is something we desperately need and worth every bit of a 1st

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agree. 

Just spitballing, but I think JT would settle for  $15 million guaranteed, if the "stay healthy and perform" portion of the new contract is reasonable.  I think a deal with a new team could get done pretty easily.

I agree with @throwing BBZ that this whole contract dispute is about guaranteed money...and not really about total dollars.  Not because JT is going to take the money and run.  Its because he deserves it based upon his game breaking ability and the fact that RBs get injured.

I'm one of the critics who say that JT is not a "complete back".  But even I think what he can do is worth 15 million guaranteed over 3 years,   But I don't think SS wants to make that 3 year roster commitment to a RB who might not pass block and check down as well as he wants a RB to do.  Some team will value JT higher than SS does, IMO...and the market always finds its own level.....so JT will end up with that team, IMO.

I agree about the guaranteed money part but I do think he wants to be paid as the top RB

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Mike Evans.

They've already said they aren't extending him.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, that is the perfect match.

Mike Evans and a 4th rounder for JT.

Not sure about Mike Evans. He's already 30 and I'm not sure how he will age. he is already out of his prime and his and AR's timelines don't really match very well... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I saw a tweet on Sunday that said

"Packers let Love sit for 2 years, he looks good  and prepared.

Colts get their QB hurt"

Something along those lines.....

Yeah, which is completely bogus, but easy to latch on to. Add in seven straight years with a new QB, ten straight years losing the opener, and sprinkle some 'crazy Irsay' on top, and you have yourself a viral segment on an afternoon sports show. It's not hard to make the Colts look bad these days.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I feel Ballard got blindsided by this or he would of been more prepared at running back. Moss and Taylor was a good combo.  

Zach Moss was the main backup, he got hurt. Evan Hull was in the mix, he got hurt. There was a backup plan if Taylor didn't play, and it got undermined by injury.

I'll admit I thought Deon Jackson would play better. After one week, I'm wondering if he's just not good.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Zach Moss was the main backup, he got hurt. Evan Hull was in the mix, he got hurt. There was a backup plan if Taylor didn't play, and it got undermined by injury.

I'll admit I thought Deon Jackson would play better. After one week, I'm wondering if he's just not good.

I think Jackson is better then what he showed Sunday. You just can’t fumble the ball like that.  He looked good at points last season. I am excited to see what adjustment Steichen makes in the run game to get more yards by our running backs. Jackson was also a good pass catcher last year. Shocked he dropped passes too.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Jackson is better then what he showed Sunday. You just can’t fumble the ball like that.  He looked good at points last season. I am excited to see what adjustment Steichen makes in the run game to get more yards by our running backs. Jackson was also a good pass catcher last year. Shocked he dropped passes too.

We saw Deon last year, he never once looked anything like he did last Sunday. Not once. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I saw a tweet on Sunday that said

"Packers let Love sit for 2 years, he looks good  and prepared.

Colts get their QB hurt"

Something along those lines.....

FWIW:   

Uhhh….  About that tweet.   The person who wrote it didn’t get their facts straight.  

Jordan Love sat behind Rodgers for 3 years, not two.   Drafted in 2020.   And, to be fair, this was the first off-season Love looked good.   He has looked shaky at best  every camp until this year.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   

Uhhh….  About that tweet.   The person who wrote it didn’t get their facts straight.  

Jordan Love sat behind Rodgers for 3 years, not two.   Drafted in 2020.   And, to be fair, this was the first off-season Love looked good.   He has looked shaky at best  every camp until this year.  

FWIW.

They may of said 3 years? I thought I remembered it saying 2 1/2 years, but just put 2 down.

I was just bringing it up, as a case of national audience/ outside opinions on the Colts being so over exaggerated.

To be fair, I don't even know who the person was, could've just been some random.

You know what tweet I am talking about?

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

FWIW.

They may of said 3 years? I thought I remembered it saying 2 1/2 years, but just put 2 down.

I was just bringing it up, as a case of national audience/ outside opinions on the Colts being so over exaggerated.

To be fair, I don't even know who the person was, could've just been some random.

You know what tweet I am talking about?

No, not at all.   For better and/or worse, I’m not on Twitter.    I only see tweets posted here.   

Just wanted to point out that this year,  2023, is Love’s 4th year.   And it’s the first time he’s looked good.   He’s been a disappointment in his first three years.  I’m happy for Love.   I’ll be rooting for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Honest question not being snarky: As backup RB plans go, how would you rate Moss, Hull and Jackson? 

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, not at all.   For better and/or worse, I’m not on Twitter.    I only see tweets posted here.   

Just wanted to point out that this year,  2023, is Love’s 4th year.   And it’s the first time he’s looked good.   He’s been a disappointment in his first three years.  I’m happy for Love.   I’ll be rooting for him. 

I agree. Kid was put in a rough spot and I’ve never heard him whine or complain. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Evans is phenomenal, but he’s 30 and isn’t really a long term answer. 

Definitely not, but he has some good years left.

If it was between Evans and a pick, vs just a couple picks or something. I'll take Evans for 2-3 years.(I know he is FA after this one)

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That’s what I’m saying.  He passes the physical.  Then you remove him from pup and once removed he starts practicing.

He can't be taken off the PUP, no matter how healthy he is, like a freshly cured man in Nazareth.

He stays in PUP until week 4 and gets activated only after week 4 game. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He can't be taken off the PUP, no matter how healthy he is, like a freshly cured man in Nazareth.

He stays in PUP until week 4 and gets activated only after week 4 game. 

Thanks.  But the big question is when can he start practicing?  If he passes his physical can he practice right away while still being on pup.  I realize he can’t play until after week 4.

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Thanks.  But the big question is when can he start practicing?  If he passes his physical can he practice right away while still being on pup.  I realize he can’t play until after week 4.

I think he can't practice with the team until after he gets activated, so after week 4 games. Even if he passes physical today.

I think they mentioned in the tweet that he could pass physical even this week, Because they wanted to emphasize that JT is healthy after all and there are NO injury concerns and it's all for the off-season drama. So he can pass physical whenever he wants. But he can't practice, and play in PUP though.

And, Chappell's tweet saying that Colts believe for weeks now that JT has always been healthy suggests that JT got healed from off-season procedure in February long back, and he has no injury concerns... Provided that report is true. So, Colts might have put him on PUP, because he was holding out, and putting him on PUP makes it a hard rule that he's out of games and Colts facility for 4 weeks, no matter how JT changes his story and feel for the season during that time... That Colts just didn't want drama, and wanted to get on with games, until JT decides whether he wants to return after week 4 or not. 

That also would go well with how JT and his agent wanted to get traded, because JT would've had no problem passing any team's physical to make the trade a success. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think that's why they give 21-day window after he gets activated after week 4, so that team can assess him and he can practice with the team during those 3 weeks. Anytime then , team can ascertain if he's game ready and elevate him to active roster. 

In case he couldn't prove healthy during that 21-day time period, he'll get moved on to season ending IR. BUT, that probably wouldn't be the case for JT. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard should have been on top of this, that is his job to not let great players go somewhere else.

He’s not a mind reader

5 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think that's why they give 21-day window after he gets activated after week 4, so that team can assess him and he can practice with the team during those 3 weeks. Anytime then , team can ascertain if he's game ready and elevate him to active roster. 

In case he couldn't prove healthy during that 21-day time period, he'll get moved on to season ending IR. BUT, that probably wouldn't be the case for JT. 

Which is funny cause the timeline would work to allow the colts to put the screws to him to get his accrued year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think putting him on PUP was just a notice to JT and his agent that all options are on the table... Including the team ruining his accrued year. 

Agreed. I don’t think they will go that route but i agree it gives them the option 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

All I'll say about next week regarding the RBs is that Deon Jackson better not be the bellcow back again. He is horrible. Whether you use Funk or Moss comes back, or even involve Goodson a bit, Jackson can't be used as the de-facto no1 next week.

Agreed, he's good as pass catching back though. Problem is if he comes in, that might give out a clue if he's used mostly for passes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agree. 

I agree with @throwing BBZ that this whole contract dispute from JTs side is about guaranteed money...and not really about total dollars.  Not because JT is going to take the money and run.  Its because he deserves it based upon his game breaking ability and the fact that RBs get injured.

I'm one of the critics who say that JT is not a "complete back".  But even I think what he can do is worth 15 million guaranteed over 3 years,   But I don't think SS wants to make that 3 year roster commitment to a RB who might not pass block and check down as well as he wants a RB to do.   So Ballard says..."we'll wait and see".   Uh huh.

Regardless about what I think SS thinks of JT, some team will value JT higher than SS does, IMO...and a free market always finds its own level.....so JT will end up with that team.   JT knows the Colts isn't that team, so he's trying to free up that market before he gets hurt seriously.

No way is he going for that. Taylor has the Colts where he wants them. He played his hand and now the Colts pay him or someone else will.I said he will get about 12 a yr. I think he will. 

10 hours ago, joeb said:

No way is he going for that. Taylor has the Colts where he wants them. He played his hand and now the Colts pay him or someone else will.I said he will get about 12 a yr. I think he will. 

Not far off.  I said $15m guaranteed over a 3 year contract, plus the non guaranteed portion.  12 a year would be 36m total.  15 guaranteed of a 36m contract seems reasonable, but I don't think the market will pay another RB 12 a year unless its someone like Bijon Robinson.  Did you see him Sunday?

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Winning this year is certainly not a priority. Getting young guys experience is THE priority.

Winning this season! would be detrimental to our long term goals.

Sorry, but you are making assumptions on subjects you have zero information on. 

What was JT's minimum to play this season? A couple million in incentives?

Or 4 years $60m?

AFTER he passes a physical will we offer him anything?

Unknown.

I would argue the main priority of this season is getting Richardson the confidence, reps, experience of how to harness his physical talents to make winning plays.  Its hard to see that happening when he has to carry lesser talent around him.  Just my opinion, but that is the kind of thing that leads to him "trying to do too much" which in turn can lead to injury, etc.  The last drive of the game on Sunday for the Colts and some of hits he was taking on his last two snaps trying to extend the play is an example of the above. 

It is easier to positively develop AR into what we want him to be for this franchise if he is taking snaps for a team that is winning games (especially ones they had a clear shot to win like Sunday) more often than they are losing them.   Hence, that is why I would rather have guys in the building who make that path easier (like JT) even if it means they aren't necessarily in the long-term plans of the AR era.  

As far me having "zero information" and "making assumptions" about the teams/Ballards stance with JT , as a fan/outsider I can only go by what is reported by those who cover the team and what is said by Ballard and Irsay publicly so I don't really know what else I am supposed to form an opinion off of.   If you want to argue that those who cover the team (like Holder) are reporting what they are getting from one side only, that's fair.  However, Ballards comments at the end of his recent press conference during the exchange with James Boyd with the "we won four games last year" do not seem like something someone would say if they had or were willing to come off their initial stance or make any concessions. 

• Like 1