Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

Yep. He basically has to decide to either A.... play football in the NFL for a butt load of money....albeit several butt loads less than many of his peers, or B..... go back to school and then try and work his way up to a senior position in Astrophysics so he can eventually make a few hundred k a year.

Yeah I have said all along he was never going anywhere after Irsay said he wasn't trading him. I do believe Irsay/Ballard would trade him but it will take a 1st round pick in 2024 at worse.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:17 AM, Fluke_33 said:

I support players holding out if they do not think they are being paid their value for so long as teams can unilaterally void a contract by cutting said player.  

however, jt has done this terribly and caused unnecessary drama.  Calling out the club and ownership publicly is a mistake.  I think it has damaged his reputation and that he didn’t consider this fully. 

I now wonder if his first agent created his prior public persona and coached him into saying all the right things or if this new management is coaching the other way to say all the wrong things.  Or if one of those is his true nature.  

either way he has lost me and doing what he has done I believe is very short sighted.  He should have had a silent hold out. I think he will lose endorsement deals from how this has played out.  I guess it will depend on what he says after this is sorted out.  

Lose endorsement deals?  

For WHAT? Oh no .... no more offers from. wicks pies or Sam's do it best hardware?

No one of consequence is denying him any endorsement deals the second he starts ripping off TD runs again....and certainly not for any eschewing of "down - homey, Midwestern values" by Taylor or his team....

On 9/4/2023 at 11:21 PM, ojsglove said:

Well sir I don't know you, and you sure as hell don't know me.  Respect is everything to me.  A truck load of money is great but if you have to resort to trashing the organazation that is paying you a pretty good chunk of money to play a game, under a contract you signed, just to chase the money, then you have lost all respect in my book.  Just play out your contract, proove you are %100 fit to play,  and try to regain some respect.

gronk said today on nfl sunday, the way the pats won all those superbowls with brady was that they had elite receivers who wanted to win. they didnt care about a big contract for themselves. they decided as a team that if they won, the money would come in various ways. we may have our elite qb now ,but we dont have elite receivers. we also have several players who care more about money for themselves now than lower contracts so we can pay more elite players. brady accepted team friendly deals so he could have skilled receivers. the colts wont win until we eliminate the pay me now before we win type of players. ballard can see his mistake now in paying the pay me now players. he is not making that mistake with taylor. ballard is now trying to fill the roster with players who value winning in order to get paid later. if taylor is the pay me first type ahead of winning we dont need him. stay firm ballard.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Many won't listen but not signing Taylor is like not signing a Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders. Lets go RB by committee, yeah we did that today in a winnable game and it stuck us with a red hot poker.

Today was not an example of RBBC. It was a 3rd string and a 5th string running back filling in for three injured team mates. Not a valid sample of what Shane has in mind…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, lester said:

Today was not an example of RBBC. It was a 3rd string and a 5th string running back filling in for three injured team mates. Not a valid sample of what Shane has in mind…

People were talking that RBBC was as simple as just picking up 3 RBs and your better in  todays game than paying one good RB. McCaffery earned his big contract today so good RBss can earn their money. Was on Colt sight on Bleacher Report and most Colts fans are sold we would have won today with Taylor and sign him tomorrow. Not sold that with him we would have won but we certainly would have been a more balanced team. Our RBBC gained a total of 25 yds on 16 carries with 2 fumbles lost and a paltry 1.5 YPC. Hate to say it but if this continues we going to get Richardson hurt as for now he is our best rusher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HP Colt said:

After yesterday’s lack of a running game, we absolutely need to get a deal done with Taylor. The powers to be should not let him get away without at least offering him a decent contract with a decent raise. 

Yep. He can turn it down if he really doesn’t want to be here. But they should at least try.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder just said Irsay wanted to extend JT and Ballard is the one that wanted to wait. He said the mistake Ballard made was telling JT no not now instead of just keep talking to him and working towards an eventual extension.

If true then Irsay needs to step in and tell Ballard to get a deal done.  Chris Jones just agreed to a revised contract for 23 guaranteeing him more money this year.  Not next year.   Not a new contract.  Between a similar deal for JT or just giving him an extension I don’t care.  Just get something done and get him on the field.  

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Many won't listen but not signing Taylor is like not signing a Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders. Lets go RB by committee, yeah we did that today in a winnable game and it stuck us with a red hot poker.

I think Emmit & Sanders are way too ooo old. Lol

Yeah with JT we win that game yesterday and how many more wins will colts RB by  Committee cost them.....along with all those 4th down foolishness???

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I still don’t think we should pay him $13-14m per year. But then I’m focused on long term while most just want to win NOW.

He’s only 24 so you secure him now for the next 3 or 4 years.   You should not let star players and a difference maker like JT leave.  They are too hard to find.  AR is on a rookie contract.  When he gets paid we will be up against it.  But now we can easily pay JT.  He’s not going to kill our cap.  Those two together for the next 3 or 4 years could be lethal.  He’s the only offensive player worth giving a new contract to right now.  He’s a top running back in the league.  My gosh.  Be thankful we have him.  He’s deserving.  Give him a new deal.

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder just said Irsay wanted to extend JT and Ballard is the one that wanted to wait. He said the mistake Ballard made was telling JT no not now instead of just keep talking to him and working towards a eventual extension.

So it didn't have anything to do with a game in November when JT was forced to play while injured?? /s

I think if Ballard tried to string JT along, it probably winds up in the same place by training camp. JT would still be upset, and would probably feel like Ballard was dishonest, and JT and his agent would have real ammo against the Colts, instead of this made up stuff they've been peddling for the last month and a half.

JT should have passed his physical when he showed up, held out of competitive practices, and been ready to play Week 1. I think the Colts would have been ready to start negotiations early in the season, because I think they want to keep him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

So it didn't have anything to do with a game in November when JT was forced to play while injured?? /s

I think if Ballard tried to string JT along, it probably winds up in the same place by training camp. JT would still be upset, and would probably feel like Ballard was dishonest, and JT and his agent would have real ammo against the Colts, instead of this made up stuff they've been peddling for the last month and a half.

JT should have passed his physical when he showed up, held out of competitive practices, and been ready to play Week 1. I think the Colts would have been ready to start negotiations early in the season, because I think they want to keep him.

All Taylor had to do was play a couple games and showed he was healthy from surgery and he would of been extended. I know it’s easy to say that because I get Taylor’s side. A injury can happen at any time. But yes if he should of passed his physical and even did a little holdout and then he would negotiating from strength not being unhealthy.

Now he isn’t even in the stadium supporting his team mates. He has let everyone down.

• Like 2

https://forums.colts.com/topic/75802-polls-the-jonathan-taylor-saga/page/3/#comment-2549081

Results from the polls thread, for posterity. More than 93% of people who responded (145 out of 155) think JT and his agent are more to blame than the Colts, pretty lopsided result there. 

I'm kind of surprised that 20% say their opinion of Colts' management has improved, and no one said their opinion of JT has improved, not even those who say that the Colts are more to blame than JT and his agent. That difference in response is interesting to me.

The rest of the questions are less lopsided, but overall, sentiment among the 155 responders favors the Colts over JT. Not surprising there, fans in general tend to side with teams in contract disputes, viewing the player asking for more money as greedy and/or selfish.

I'm thankful to everyone who responded. Might do another set of polls next week to see if people think the Colts should soften their stance. I wanted to get these polls done before the game, and after seeing how bad the rushing attack was, I wouldn't be surprised if some results were different now.

• Like 3

The Colts are more capable of winning games when JT is on the field as opposed when he is not. This is especially true with a pretty inexperienced rookie QB starting and the lack of other elite talent at other skill positions.  If this simple (perhaps obvious) point was not evident prior to yesterday's game, it really should be abundantly clear now.  

I really don't understand what good it does this franchise to dig in their heels about JT being under contract and honoring said contract when we see similar situations (see Chris Jones with KC) and the two sides work to some re working of an existing contract in order to incentivize an impact player to come back.   

In my opinion, Ballard and whoever else involved in the stance here have needlessly cost the team potential wins in the first 4 games this season all because they want to hold steadfast to some nonsensical, idealistic view instead of being pragmatic about the situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All Taylor had to do was play a couple games and showed he was healthy from surgery and he would of been extended. I know it’s easy to say that because I get Taylor’s side. A injury can happen at any time. But yes if he should of passed his physical and even did a little holdout and then he would negotiating from strength not being unhealthy.

Now he isn’t even in the stadium supporting his team mates. He has let everyone down.

Meh, I don't think he's let anyone down. Of course fans feel that way, we all want to see the best players play. But I doubt his teammates feel that way, they've been publicly supportive, and players tend to back one another in situations like this. 

It's all business. I don't like holdouts, but it's kind of all a player can do, and I get it. I just think the strategy and posturing from JT's side has been a mistake, and hasn't helped him at all. Credit to the Colts for not trading him for pennies on the dollar, they're obviously ready to wait him out, at least to an extent.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He’s only 24 so you secure him now for the next 3 or 4 years.   You should not let star players and a difference maker like JT leave.  They are too hard to find.  AR is on a rookie contract.  When he gets paid we will be up against it.  But now we can easily pay JT.  He’s not going to kill our cap.  Those two together for the next 3 or 4 years could be lethal.  He’s the only offensive player worth giving a new contract to right now.  He’s a top running back in the league.  My gosh.  Be thankful we have him.  He’s deserving.  Give him a new deal.

He’s just not worth $13-14m as an RB. Elite RBs haven’t won Super Bowls in over two decades. The money is better spent elsewhere. 

I’d much rather we gave Hunt the, what, $2-4m he wants? Moss and Hunt will do fine. So would Hull if he didn’t get injured. 

Our OL were bad at run blocking against the Jax and, yes, Jackson stunk it up but how in the world does that lead to overspending at the RB position?

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh, I don't think he's let anyone down. Of course fans feel that way, we all want to see the best players play. But I doubt his teammates feel that way, they've been publicly supportive, and players tend to back one another in situations like this. 

It's all business. I don't like holdouts, but it's kind of all a player can do, and I get it. I just think the strategy and posturing from JT's side has been a mistake, and hasn't helped him at all. Credit to the Colts for not trading him for pennies on the dollar, they're obviously ready to wait him out, at least to an extent.

I’ve always been sympathetic to JT trying to get more money, even with holding out to an extent. Where I think he lost a lot of the fans was when he started pulling some of the shenanigans, specifically implying Saturday forced him to play injured.

Let Moss have a go at it this week (if he can play, that is).  If he can't run against the Texans then we absolutely don't have a running game and the RB position has to be completely re-evaluated.  That will only be game 2 of 4 we know JT won't be available.  We still have time.  No need to panic here and start talks with JT yet, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder at a story today colts told Taylor to come in and rehab and go home. They don’t want him as a distraction around the team.

I read that. I wonder who Holder's sources are...

But if the Colts are telling JT to leave the building, I think that means they intend to trade him before he plays.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I read that. I wonder who Holder's sources are...

But if the Colts are telling JT to leave the building, I think that means they intend to trade him before he plays.

I think its a bit weird to announce he's passed his physical (or will pass it) 3 to 4 weeks before he's even scheduled to play.  That also suggests there may be some movement brewing, IMO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think its a bit weird to announce he's passed his physical (or will pass it) 3 to 4 weeks before he's even scheduled to play.  That also suggests there may be some movement brewing, IMO.

They didn't announce anything. There was a report that the Colts think he can pass his physical.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I’m hoping he passes the physical asap.  That means he can practice with the team and come off pup.  Get him up to speed as quickly as possible.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

They didn't announce anything. There was a report that the Colts think he can pass his physical.

Yes, Holder's sources..  Either a good source or a bad one.   Somebody is floating the idea that JT is healthy, which hasn't happened through official reporters until now, IIRC.  They are either speaking for the Colts or pretending to speak for the Colts in order to change the thinking from JT not being healthy to him being healthy...right now.  Before that, both JT's camp and the Colts actions of putting him on PUP suggests that both sides were (officially) saying that he was not healthy.  

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m hoping he passes the physical asap.  That means he can practice with the team and come off pup.  Get him up to speed as quickly as possible.

I don't know if a player can practice if he is on PUP.  So somebody floating the idea that he is healthy right now isn't going to help him practice any sooner than if he simply reported healthy three weeks from now...but it does help with any trade talks now.   But I don't know the PUP rules well enough.

His agent clearly put that info out about him planning on passing his physical this past Sunday to try and get more trade interest after he comes off pup.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, Holder's sources..  Either a good source or a bad one.   Somebody is floating the idea that JT is healthy, which hasn't happened through official reporters until now, IIRC.  They are either speaking for the Colts or pretending to speak for the Colts in order to change the thinking from JT not being healthy to him being healthy...right now.  Before that, both JT's camp and the Colts actions of putting him on PUP suggests that both sides were (officially) saying that he was not healthy.  

No it was rap and shefty Sunday putting the info out. Ptobsbly from his agent.

• Like 1