Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Rams post game thread

Solid84

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I did not love the call to do for it on 4th and 7. What would that FG have been? Even with the earlier miss I would have probably taken that over the 4th down attempt. It just wasn’t the right call there at that time for me. 

Yep.  Would have won it in regulation assuming Gay didn't miss again. There was still plenty of time and I'm surprised we didn't kick the FG.  Almost like coach was acting like we were in desperation mode, but it wasn't to that point yet.  

• Thanks 1

To be really honest:

By now, we already expect erratic play and growing pains by the QB and CBs, part of the theme for the year...

But you cannot expect this run defense to play this bad just because DeFo was not there 1st and 2nd down, this RB is a nobody and this OL is not great (not even good). 

The Rams running set all this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DiogoSales said:

To be really honest:

By now, we already expect erratic play and growing pains by the QB and CBs, part of the theme for the year...

But you cannot expect this run defense to play this bad just because DeFo was not there 1st and 2nd down, this RB is a nobody and this OL is not great (not even good). 

The Rams running set all this.

Agreed, I was really surprised by how bad our run defense was because the rams RB isn't regarded as an amazing RB and our LBs weren't meeting the RB at the hole like usual

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I can see why Ballard was trying to gets a receiver in any trade for Taylor.  You can’t count on Pierce.  Too many drops for me.

Not to split hairs, but I kinda feel like there's a difference between not making the catch, and making the catch but not holding onto it. From a stats perspective, a drop is a drop. But some receivers just aren't sure-handed, and I don't think that's the case with Pierce. His high-profile drops have been forced by defenders, like when a defender fell on top of him in the endzone in game-1, and then again last week when he stretched out and clasped the ball, but couldn't hold onto it because he was airborne and the defender got his arm in there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

That catch was big time.  I still dont agree he should have caught the ball where he got hit hard.  And I gave him crap for not holding onto the ball last week.   It was just a really good play and the ball was high.  Had it been lower, closer to his body, I bet he makes that grab.

Yeah, but it's always something with Pierce.  "The ball wasn't perfectly thrown", "He got hit",  "He almost had it".  Every week it's the same story.  Yeah, the defense made a good play, but this happens every week.  At some point GOOD receivers start pulling most of those in.  He's just not that good IMO.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, QBRulz39 said:

Anyone who watched the game saw the Rams defense get lazy in the second half. They basically allowed the Colts back in this game, which has been their problem all season (thus far). 

If I was the Colts Coaches this is the game where I use a long hard discussion on how to use AR moving forward.  He should be swapped out and utilized for short yardage plays only. His inaccuracy is horrendous and his unwillingness to slide will end his career quickly. He also needs to learn to read defenses. 11-25 passing, with the only completions being on single read throws says a lot. Hes not ready. Unless the Colts are looking for a high draft pick this coming year, they need to give the ball to Minshew.

A player who knows how to control the clock, manage the game and not turn the ball over, while energizing those around him. He not a “career backup” like people want to label him. He had a better rookie season than murray who won ROY with less weapons and had his career sabotaged by Jax coaches to guarantee they had TL in the following draft. Then he beat out TL and they traded him the following preseason. Irsay needs to step aside and let his coaches make their own decisions. 

AR is not Fields or Hurts. Both of them won and were successful in college. AR was not. And he still cant read defenses and relies on his legs too much. Time to start Minshew and use AR for situations where his athleticism will help to win games. Otherwise the “Not For Long” league will end his career fast. 

Minshew IS a career backup.  Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts for a season on a different team somewhere in the future.  And then the next season he will be a backup again, because every team knows that he will not be able to take you deep into the playoffs or win a Superbowl.  He's a good backup.  His ceiling is very limited and last week his pocket awareness was atrocious at times.  I like Minshew, but there's a reason why he's not a full time starter on any NFL team.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's a Non conference loss....not the end of the world.

That is a very good point. If you are going to lose any games its much better to lose the ones outside of the conference. 

Next week against the Titans is a different story though. Im not going to call it a must win game since we're so early in the season still but the result of that game could be very crucial when the season is summed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QBRulz39 said:

Anyone who watched the game saw the Rams defense get lazy in the second half. They basically allowed the Colts back in this game, which has been their problem all season (thus far). 

If I was the Colts Coaches this is the game where I use a long hard discussion on how to use AR moving forward.  He should be swapped out and utilized for short yardage plays only. His inaccuracy is horrendous and his unwillingness to slide will end his career quickly. He also needs to learn to read defenses. 11-25 passing, with the only completions being on single read throws says a lot. Hes not ready. Unless the Colts are looking for a high draft pick this coming year, they need to give the ball to Minshew.

A player who knows how to control the clock, manage the game and not turn the ball over, while energizing those around him. He not a “career backup” like people want to label him. He had a better rookie season than murray who won ROY with less weapons and had his career sabotaged by Jax coaches to guarantee they had TL in the following draft. Then he beat out TL and they traded him the following preseason. Irsay needs to step aside and let his coaches make their own decisions. 

AR is not Fields or Hurts. Both of them won and were successful in college. AR was not. And he still cant read defenses and relies on his legs too much. Time to start Minshew and use AR for situations where his athleticism will help to win games. Otherwise the “Not For Long” league will end his career fast. 

:lol:

11 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

He also needs a WR that can get open and catch. Pierce is more of a liability than anything at this point. 

I am not worried about that this year. Off-season that could happen. This offense is good enough to win games. Can’t have the defense blowing games when the young QB looks this good. That needs to happen now.

20 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Not to split hairs, but I kinda feel like there's a difference between not making the catch, and making the catch but not holding onto it. From a stats perspective, a drop is a drop. But some receivers just aren't sure-handed, and I don't think that's the case with Pierce. His high-profile drops have been forced by defenders, like when a defender fell on top of him in the endzone in game-1, and then again last week when he stretched out and clasped the ball, but couldn't hold onto it because he was airborne and the defender got his arm in there. 

I thought he could have caught it last week, but the throw was high today and he was getting hit in the back.

• Like 1

Just now, Chucklez said:

At least we arent the Pats. Our arrow mid-long term currently looks like it is pointing up... much more than the Pats can say atm.

Having such a great time watching them get curb stomped. Let's hope it goes on for several years... Lol

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SwedishColt said:

That is a very good point. If you are going to lose any games its much better to lose the ones outside of the conference. 

Next week against the Titans is a different story though. Im not going to call it a must win game since we're so early in the season still but the result of that game could be very crucial when the season is summed up.

Very important game, think we have the better squad, Jags look broken....

• Like 1

Despite the comeback it was a Bad game for the colts and staff.

Rams came out firing and built a 23 point lead with no resistance or response from colts. 

At one point the rams out gained the colts nearly 250 yards to 46!!! 

Colts were shutout untill 5 mins left in the 3rd quarter!!!

Once the game was tied up the colts Defense once again couldn't stop them when they needed to.......in position to win with just a field goal with less than two minutes the colts offense went three and out and left plenty of time for Stafford to win in regulation. And speaking of going three and out with the win in your grasp What kind of plays were those that were called??? With a mobile QB Steinchen, or whoever, calls three straight in the pocket Mundane plays not letting his QB do what he does best AND calls on him what he does worse.....pass in the pocket!!! 

The play calling is once again plain and unimaginative,  as are the play creativity, even with a highly mobile QB. 

The faces and names change but not so much the plays. 

From Chudd, Pep, Reich and now Steinchen/Cooter. 

Last week it took the offense 3 possessions in OT to get in position to kick and win with a 55 yard FG. 

I won't say the colts should have won, especially with the bad defensive and offense play for 3 quarters BUT there was a legitimate chance to steal the game with a few first downs and a FG, but the play calling caused AR to go three and out with lack luster play calling with our dynamic QB stayed in the  pocket....the weakest part of his game! :yuk:

• Like 1

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Rams came out firing and built a 23 point lead with no resistance or response from colts. 

Once the game was tied up the colts Defense once again couldn't stop them when they needed to.......in position to win with just a field goal with less than two minutes the colts offense went three and out and left plenty of time for Stafford to win in regulation. And speaking of going three and out with the win in your grasp What kind of plays were those that were called??? With a mobile QB Steinchen, or whoever, calls three straight in the pocket Mundane plays not letting his QB do what he does best AND calls on him what he does worse.....pass in the pocket!!! 

The play calling is once again plain and unimaginative,  as are the play creativity, even with a highly mobile QB. 

Last week it took the offense 3 possessions in OT to get in position to kick and win with a 55 yard FG. 

I won't say the colts should have won, especially with the bad defensive and offense play for 3 quarters BUT there was a legitimate chance to steal the game with a few first downs and a FG, but the play calling caused AR to go three and out with lack luster play calling with our dynamic QB stayed in the  pocket....the weakest part of his game! :yuk:

Next week we can get JT back, can get Jelani Woods back, we are tied for first missing vital parts.......win next week and e take control of the South...we are young,very young but this team has fight in it and a coach who wants to win NOW

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of sentiments shared in this thread. But one thing I haven't seen many people mention is that Freeland was debuting against perhaps the greatest DL player in NFL history. That was very apparent all game and was going to make this an uphill battle from the get go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

Next week we can get JT back, can get Jelani Woods back, we are tied for first missing vital parts.......win next week and e take control of the South...we are young,very young but this team has fight in it and a coach who wants to win NOW

Texans look really good all of a sudden

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Unimaginative? 

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Regardless who the colts have coming back, they will still have the  same coaches who seem to get brain cramps when the game is on the line.

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am still shocked that Richardson looks this good with so few college games. He does not look like a rookie with only 13 college starts. 

AFCS looks like it is going to be a dog fight all year.

Remember...most of the experts told us AR is a 3 year project 

• Thanks 1

Jags play bills next week in London. I would think they have a advantage with not having to travel over there. But good opportunity for colts playing titans to be 1st again.

People were saying he had a high floor because of his running ability. I should of listened more. Plus his accuracy hasn’t been bad either.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think now colts really look like they have their franchise QB this will be the off season Ballard has to go all out and try and fix weaknesses. No more playing around.

Secondary needs overhauled 

Maybe another WR  will see where pierce is at

We don’t really have much to worry about.  Just get those two areas help.

Imagine if we still had Gilmore?

• Like 1

Some on here said the same thing. I, liked everyone else seen his athletic ability. But at the combine I seen and heard his interviews and his knowledge of the game and desire. And that's when I wanted him over the other three QBs and didn't think it would take long to have a chance to contend in the South. 

I just hope management and coaching doesn't let him down. 

• Like 1