Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Line-up changes that are necessary

Archer

I decided to track our players’ pff grades this year to see if they reveal anything I don’t notice from my live watching of the game.  I know - pff scores aren’t perfect, but at least they are an objective measure against which I can test my preconceived notions.  Here are the roster changes that my analysis of pff scores would suggest:

1) Bench Darrell Baker and start Tony Brown.  I thought Baker’s week 1 problems that led to a 45 pff grade were related to covering Ridley.  However, his cumulative 2023 grade went down over 12 points against the Texans.  Whether you move Moore outside and put Brown in the slot or you do a direct replacement, I’d get Baker outta there before we start playing good receiving corps.

2) Play Pierce less and McKenzie/Mallory/Ogletree more.  I think it’s time to reduce Alec’s role until he earns it back.  I’d get these others on the field anyway, as it doesn’t seem like deep shots are in the cards in the near future.  Mallory could be a real YAC guy.  In general I’d like to spread out the snaps to more guys and see who develops into an AR favorite.

Also) I’d keep a watch on Rodney Thomas.  His Game 2 was better than the first, but his 2023 grade is 50.8.  In very limited snaps, Cross is about 10 point higher.

• Like 2

I agree I'd like to see more Ogletree and Mallory for sure, but Pierce is clearing out routes right now, so he'll get his chance at the long ball. 

While I'm all about trying someone else out at outside CB....moving Moore outside makes two positions worse, so I'm not in favor. He's strictly a slot CB (good at blitzing as well). This is where I wish we would've kept Gilmore, but I get why they let him go. 

Cross for some reason has fell out of favor with Gus strategy, so not sure what's going on there. Thomas has some jets, but needs to read QB eyes better, 

• Like 2

I'm in no way a great evaluator of talent, but I never want to see Moore on the outside.

From what I remember he gets picked on way too much.  Keep him in the slot.

I think Pierce may just need more targets.  I have to look at the All 22 yet to see how

he looked this week on routes and whether he was open or not?  I am not against getting more of McKenzie/Mallory/Ogletree, though.

• Like 2

Brown is Kenny’s backup as the slot CB.  Not sure he’d be better than Baker as an outside corner.  But I agree, he did not look good the last two games.  

Pierce is a very good run blocker, from what I can tell.  Ogletree is too but he doesn’t give them the same deep threat.  McKenzie and Mallory are completely different players.  

But again, I agree with your general sentiment.  

• Like 1

We knew the young corners were a work in progress and would take their lumps at times. In the long run they will be better for it. When Gus thinks Brents or Jones is ready to take over the starting gig it will happen. In the meantime show some patience. Brown is not a starting boundary corner. 

Pierce is not going to be benched for a slot gadget guy or TE’s.  I am excited about the TE room of Woods, Ogletree, Mallory, and Granson. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I didn’t write that we’d bench Pierce altogether.  All teams use many different packages on offense, and I’m just saying to have a higher percentage of your plays entail 2 TEs or MPJ/Downs/McKenzie combos and a lower % with Pierce.

BTW, one other thing: Fries was on PFF’s all week 2 team.  It raised his season score from 55.4 to 74.4.  The OL is looking pretty solid, but they haven’t played a top DL yet…

4 hours ago, Archer said:

2) Play Pierce less and McKenzie/Mallory/Ogletree more.  I think it’s time to reduce Alec’s role until he earns it back.  I’d get these others on the field anyway, as it doesn’t seem like deep shots are in the cards in the near future.  Mallory could be a real YAC guy.  In general I’d like to spread out the snaps to more guys and see who develops into an AR favorite.

I agree that McKenzie should get more reps. I don't think Pierce has done anything wrong, though. Rewatching, and looking at a limited amount of All 22, he's playing fine. He just hasn't gotten a lot of looks, which is somewhat frustrating because I think he can be a weapon. But it's also not surprising, given how new everything is with this offense, the inconsistencies at QB (Richardson's play, and the fact that he missed more than half the game Sunday), and the way they're scheming the protections so far.

But I thought McKenzie was really good after the catch in preseason, and he has 3 offensive snaps total in the first two games, which is a head scratcher. Instead, we seem to be running Pittman and Pierce into the ground. If nothing else, we should be able to peel away 10-15 combined reps from those two to get McKenzie some burn.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I didn’t write that we’d bench Pierce altogether.  All teams use many different packages on offense, and I’m just saying to have a higher percentage of your plays entail 2 TEs or MPJ/Downs/McKenzie combos and a lower % with Pierce.

BTW, one other thing: Fries was on PFF’s all week 2 team.  It raised his season score from 55.4 to 74.4.  The OL is looking pretty solid, but they haven’t played a top DL yet…

We haven’t played a top DL yet, but the Jags tend to punch above their weight when they play us. They ALWAYS play us hard in my opinion. 

The Ravens will be a big test for sure though. 

• Like 1

I only hear the games, I rarely see them. In an interview I heard of Rick Venturi, Rick said Pierce was wide open Sunday for a 60 yd TD, but Richardson missed him. I don’t know if he meant Anthony missed seeing him, or missed the throw? I got the impression Anthony missed seeing Pierce.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, jimmy g said:

I only hear the games, I rarely see them. In an interview I heard of Rick Venturi, Rick said Pierce was wide open Sunday for a 60 yd TD, but Richardson missed him. I don’t know if he meant Anthony missed seeing him, or missed the throw? I got the impression Anthony missed seeing Pierce.

If I remember the play correctly, yes AR did not see him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

I’ve never seen a Madden video game. Last video I played was Pong in 1978.

Imagine if you will..................you could trade Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Chris Jones for Tony Brown straight up and the game will allow it. Then you could make Kelce a WR or Jones an OLB and play the game all willy nilly like! LOL

BTW - I played pong as a child too on the old Atari system! 

As far as lineup changes that I have thought about...........

If Freeland offers more potential at RT than Fries offers at RG then I could see a scenario where they kick Smith back inside to guard.

Woods & Ogletree as our inline TE's and Granson & Mallory as our move TE's seems like the future and that makes Mo the odd man out. Perhaps as soon as this year.

The Flowers and Baker experiment probably needs to continue until Brents and Jones pass one or both of them on the depth chart. Experience is the only way that young secondary gets better. The fact that both Flowers and Baker were UDFA's is not lost on me, but, the physical ability (according to RAS) is there, it now boils down to how they learn from their mistakes and trust their eyes. 

Blackmon seemed to play more instinctually at FS versus this year at SS.......he's on the last year of his contract with Cross seemingly breathing down his neck so that problem may solve itself naturally.

Pierce doesn't need to sit - he just needs a QB experienced enough to find him on his deep routes and AR5 is not quite there yet. He will be eventually, but not yet. Pierce was drafted to be that downfield threat so let's not forget that he doesn't run the full route tree yet either....

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

As far as lineup changes that I have thought about...........

If Freeland offers more potential at RT than Fries offers at RG then I could see a scenario where they kick Smith back inside to guard.

Freeland just isn’t ready yet if you watched the pre-season.  He needs a year to physically get stronger I think.  

On 9/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, jimmy g said:

He probably  would have dropped it