Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

7 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Have you watched either of Levis' first two games? I saw the one last night and he didn't play like a second round pick.

I really like Richardson and desperately hope he succeeds, but he still feels like a bit of an uncertain gamble to me. 

I did see the game. A passer rating of 66.4 for 221 yards, 0 TDs and 1 Int to lose the game was what I imagined Levis to do for the most part lol.

AR also has a higher completion percentage than Levis at this point (59.5% vs 56.4%) , and that was supposedly his biggest negative coming into the draft.

• Thanks 1

Just now, colts89 said:

I did see the game. A passer rating of 66.4 for 221 yards, 0 TDs and 1 Int to lose the game was what I imagined Levis to do for the most part lol.

AR also has a higher completion percentage than Levis at this point (59.5% vs 56.4%) , and that was supposedly his biggest negative coming into the draft.

See above at my post. I agree with you, maybe I need Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Goggles because I seen a different game than some.

Just now, colts89 said:

All know is all Rookie QB are is available to play for their teams while our is out for the season. Each of their still learning on the field 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Levis didn't even play in the 1st 6 games. He has only played 2 games lmao 

He’ll still play more games than Richardson. All he needs is one more and that’s 3 full games to Richardson 2.5 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

He's a running quarterback who so far seems like he may not be able to take many hits without getting injured. Of course the concern with running quarterbacks has always been that they tend to take more hits, get injured more often, and have shorter careers. It's a concern to some degree about every running quarterback, isn't it? But sure, no concern at all at this point about Richardson potentially being injury prone. It's just a narrative.

A running QB vs a QB that runs in key situations has to be distinguished.

I do think, moving forward, Steichen will take the approach of "hey, if it is a 2nd and 3 OR a 3rd and 3 and the end comes crashing in on an RPO, take off to run to get the 1st down and slide, even if you can get another 4 or 5 yards but then it comes with the possibility of contact looming around".

I do think they will cut down on designed runs on 1st & 10 but if AR sees most defenders with their backs to him, they will encourage him to run to get the first down and slide to reduce injury possibilities, that is how I see it going down. Once you get a new set of downs, no need to be hero, just slide.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A running QB vs a QB that runs in key situations has to be distinguished.

I do think, moving forward, Steichen will take the approach of "hey, if it is a 2nd and 3 OR a 3rd and 3 and the end comes crashing in on an RPO, take off to run to get the 1st down and slide, even if you can get another 4 or 5 yards but then it comes with the possibility of contact looming around".

I do think they will cut down on designed runs on 1st & 10 but if AR sees most defenders with their backs to him, they will encourage him to run to get the first down and slide to reduce injury possibilities, that is how I see it going down.

AR should only run when it’s truly necessary. I only want to see him run in a close game and playoffs. We have good backs at the moment 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, a06cc said:

AR should only run when it’s truly necessary. I only want to see him run in a close game and playoffs. We have good backs at the moment 

How effective would he be as a quarterback who only runs when it's truly necessary? The threat of running at any moment on every play changes the defense. If you take that away and he becomes more of a standard pocket passer, is he ever going to be above average in doing that? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

How effective would he be as a quarterback who only runs when it's truly necessary? The threat of running at any moment on every play changes the defense. If you take that away and he becomes more of a standard pocket passer, is he ever going to be above average in doing that? 

As we’ve seen we can’t have him on the run as much as we have. Plays can called if something isn’t there then run. 

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

He's a running quarterback who so far seems like he may not be able to take many hits without getting injured. Of course the concern with running quarterbacks has always been that they tend to take more hits, get injured more often, and have shorter careers. It's a concern to some degree about every running quarterback, isn't it? But sure, no concern at all at this point about Richardson potentially being injury prone. It's just a narrative.

A QB like Josh Allen could get injured just as easily because of his style and I don't consider him a running QB. Allen has actually been dinged up the last 2 seasons. Did you consider Luck a running QB?

46 minutes ago, colts89 said:

and 1 Int to lose the game

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

because I seen a different game than some.

I think it's more severe than just seeing the game differently.  I think there is intentional misrepresentation.  There is a word for that.  Its one thing to misinform, its another to see things so badly that it can't be anything other than intentional.

Levis neither "failed to win" or "threw a pick to lose the game".  His pick came with 11 seconds left on 3rd down from the 20.  A situation that meant there was only one more play left from the 20 yard line, possibly two.  If the pass would have fallen incomplete, then it would have been 4th and 10 from the 20 yard line with only 8 seconds left.   

Its like getting the only pick of the game on a Hail Mary at the end.  It would be near dishonest to describe that pick as losing the game. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

AR can be very effective, IMO, doing that. He has already shown great pocket poise compared to what I expected, much like Levis did vs the Steelers. The game wasn't too big for him. His completion percentage will only get better with time and compared to those expecting him to be in the low 50s, he is already at 59%. Jalen Hurts ran more around the goal line and between the 20s in Year 2. He ran far less in Year 3 and they went to the SB, a big part of it was his improved passing and A J Brown. Just because Mahomes and Hurts choose to beat teams from the pocket, it doesn't mean they can't gain timely chunks running, does it?

Either you believe AR can improve his passing to a level that can beat teams from the pocket most of the time or you don't. There in lies the true issue. The key is Ballard providing him the pass catchers he needs and increasing the margin for error with good defensive support as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think it's more severe than just seeing the game differently.  I think there is intentional misrepresentation.  There is a word for that.  Its one thing to misinform, its another to see things so badly that it can't be anything other than intentional.

Levis neither "failed to win" or "threw a pick to lose the game".  His pick came with 11 seconds left on 3rd down from the 20.  A situation that meant there was only one more play left from the 20 yard line, possibly two.  If it would have fell incomplete, then it would have been 4th and 10 from the 20 yard line with only 8 seconds left.   

Its like getting the only pick of the game on a hail mary at the end.  It would be near dishonest to describe that pick as losing the game. 

I don't care much about any of these QBs...one over the other.  Other than I hope Ballard picked the right one.

I never said Levis played badly. I said average based on everything I seen, if you think he played good I am fine with it, that is your opinion. All I know is AR is our QB and nothing is going to change that so people whining about us drafting AR does no good. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

AR can be very effective, IMO, doing that. He has already shown great pocket poise compared to what I expected, much like Levis did vs the Steelers. His completion percentage will only get better with time and compared to those expecting him to be in the low 50s, he is at 59%. Jalen Hurts ran more around the goal line and between the 20s in Year 2. He ran far less in Year 3 and they went to the SB. The key is Ballard providing him the pass catchers he needs and increasing the margin for error with good defensive support as well.

Tennessee's receiving corps is probably worse than the Colts.  Having seen both TEN games, its only DHop. 

Both QBs need better consistency from their receivers.  And I think Young is in that same situation. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Tennessee's receiving corps is probably worse than the Colts.  Having seen both TEN games, its only DHop. 

Both QBs need better consistency from their receivers.  And I think Young is in that same situation. 

But the margin for error is boosted by a much better defense, that is what helps a young QB when they don't feel they have to keep up. If Minshew had to score only 24-27 points consistently for us to stand a chance to win, we would win most of the games. That is where TN is better. Just like the Steelers, they play better complementary football.

• Like 3

Just now, chad72 said:

But the margin for error is boosted by a much better defense, that is what helps a young QB when they don't feel they have to keep up. If Minshew had to score only 24-27 points consistently for us to stand a chance to win, we would win most of the games. That is where TN is better.

Tennessee's defense is much better than ours. That can be a QB's best friend. I look at Mustache and he put up 38 vs the Browns and 27 vs the Saints. If we had Tennessee's defense, those would have been wins with a backup QB. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A QB like Josh Allen could get injured just as easily because of his style and I don't consider him a running QB. Allen has actually been dinged up the last 2 seasons. Did you consider Luck a running QB?

Luck ran well but he wasn't a running QB. I just looked up the stats on this and they kind of blew me away. In his 86 games played over six seasons in the NFL, Luck NEVER had 10 or more carries in a game. Also, Luck came into the NFL as one of the most successful passers in college football history. 

Richardson is a running QB who has shown some promise as a passer but still needs to improve. In four games (really two full games), Richardson has carried the ball 10 times twice already.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never Levis played badly. I said average based on everything I seen, if you think he played good I am fine with it, that is your opinion. All I know is AR is our QB and nothing is going to change that so people whining about us drafting AR does no good. 

Its fine.  I'm in a position to call out misrepresents because I happen to see both games.  If and when I have to use only stats, any misrepresentation will fly over my head like it will with so many.

I think AR, Levis, and Stroud played good.  Even though I wish AR would play the best, I think all three have been pretty much the same and better than expected so far.   

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

Luck ran well but he wasn't a running QB. I just looked up the stats on this and they kind of blew me away. In his 86 games played over six seasons in the NFL, Luck NEVER had 10 or more carries in a game. Also, Luck came into the NFL as one of the most successful passers in college football history. 

Richardson is a running QB who has shown some promise as a passer but still needs to improve. In four games (really two full games), Richardson has carried the ball 10 times twice already.  

That has to, and will change moving forward with Steichen and AR, you can bet.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

But the margin for error is boosted by a much better defense, that is what helps a young QB when they don't feel they have to keep up. If Minshew had to score only 24-27 points consistently for us to stand a chance to win, we would win most of the games. That is where TN is better. Just like the Steelers, they play better complementary football.

You mentioned QB running.  One of the factors that contributes to this the Qb hanging in the pocket to make his 3rd and 4th reads.  Because they have the arm to make a throw to wherever that guy is when he gets open, the QB will want to advance the ball through the air rather than running and hangs in the pocket.  So some of those sacks happen because of the success they have on other plays...when the QB is able to convert a pass just before getting hit rather than taking off.  

So when one Qb gets sacked and another escapes a sack, the sack has to be taken into context because it also comes with chances for big plays through the air on other plays that wouldn't be there for the running QB who took off too early.

Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Also, if anybody noticed.  Levis' best plays have come with him under center instead of shotgun RPO.  And TEN had him do that quite a bit.  The play action works better.  None of the other QBs will drop back from center and pass.  So the style of offense is going to play into what each QB will do and how they compare from a statistics standpoint...especially rushing TDs.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its fine.  I'm in a position to call out misrepresents because I happen to see both games.  If and when I have to use only stats, any misrepresentation will fly over my head like it will with so many.

I think AR, Levis, and Stroud played good.  Even though I wish AR would play the best, I think all three have been pretty much the same and better than expected so far.   

I am not misrepresenting anything or Levis at all. Stats are 1 thing, but I also go by what I see. I am to the point where I almost don't feel like saying anything bad at all about Stroud or Levis because when I do, you and a couple others just think I am a hater. It is becoming tiring and really makes me dislike this site at times. You don't value my opinion at all and accuse me of being biased or misrepresenting. 

When someone says something negative about AR, I have never seen you once harass them like you do me when I talk about another's teams QB not playing great . All I do is state facts and an opinion on what I see. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no agenda, do you?

My opinion ...

Richardson  is worth pick 4 , but risky.

Stoud looks like a QB that is the opposite of Richardson. Very high floor but less ceiling than AR.

Young , who skipped throwing at the combine , is the sucker pick of the 4 QBs. Panther's gave up WAY too much to overdraft him at pick 1.

Levis showed really nice arm talent . Watched last night's game and he wasn't great but made 4-5 really big time throws. Nice bargain for Titans at pick 3 2nd round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said Levis played badly. I said average based on everything I seen, if you think he played good I am fine with it, that is your opinion. All I know is AR is our QB and nothing is going to change that so people whining about us drafting AR does no good. 

So if somebody questions whether AR will be successful, that's whining? Why? 

If you say Richardson is going to be extremely successful, does that do good? Does it help anything? 

I never understand why some fans think that a positive opinion of their team or its players is better than a less positive one. 

I agree with those who say all of these rookie quarterbacks have looked generally promising so far. There are also still questions about all of them. I'm more likely to discuss the questions about Richardson, as well as his strengths, since he plays for the team I've been following for 30 years. But whether I say he's going to be great, he's going to be lousy or anywhere in between, I recognize my opinion doesn't matter one way or the other and doesn't really do any good either way. It's just an opinion to discuss with fellow fans. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

In his 86 games played over six seasons in the NFL, Luck NEVER had 10 or more carries in a game.

Under Pep Hamilton the team actually called a lot of read option plays where Luck decided if he would keep it or hand off to a RB.  Luck almost always handed off though and only kept it a few times out of many read options 

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You mentioned QB running.  One of the factors that contributes to this the Qb hanging in the pocket to make his 3rd and 4th reads.  Because they have the arm to make a throw to wherever that guy is when he gets open, the QB will want to advance the ball through the air rather than running and hangs in the pocket.  So some of those sacks happen because of the success they have on other plays...when the QB is able to convert a pass just before getting hit rather than taking off.  

So when one Qb gets sacked and another escapes a sack, the sack has to be taken into context because it also comes with chances for big plays through the air on other plays that wouldn't be there for the running QB who took off too early.

Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Also, if anybody noticed.  Levis' best plays have come with him under center instead of shotgun RPO.  And TEN had him do that quite a bit.  The play action works better.  None of the other QBs will drop back from center and pass.  So the style of offense is going to play into what each QB will do and how they compare from a statistics standpoint...especially rushing TDs.

It is never going to be, with too many variables of pass catchers and schemes being different all coming into picture. Some folks navigate the pocket and read it faster, some folks have to move around a bit more like Mahomes to get to those 3rd and 4th reads.

That was the downfall of RG3, never progressing beyond a 2nd read. That is also a big part of QB coaching, which is why we hired Steichen. Just that we couldn't witness the progression or development due to injury. Some with more starting experience in college might have a greater floor for those reads but we all know it wasn't the floor that got AR drafted, the hope was Steichen could get AR there. :) 

• Like 2

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

So if somebody questions whether AR will be successful, that's whining? Why? 

If you say Richardson is going to be extremely successful, does that do good? Does it help anything? 

I never understand why some fans think that a positive opinion of their team or its players is better than a less positive one. 

I agree with those who say all of these rookie quarterbacks have looked generally promising so far. There are also still questions about all of them. I'm more likely to discuss the questions about Richardson, as well as his strengths, since he plays for the team I've been following for 30 years. But whether I say he's going to be great, he's going to be lousy or anywhere in between, I recognize my opinion doesn't matter one way or the other and doesn't really do any good either way. It's just an opinion to discuss with fellow fans. 

I have no problem with anyone questioning if AR will be successful. I have no idea if he will. You are missing the point and pulling a Doug now. I am done trying to explain myself. This is exhausting.

Nothing wrong with hoping someone turns out well no matter if it's 1 minute after the draft or after 1 preseason game.
My issues stem from the general public and media criticizing Steichen for running Richardson. That shoulder injury could have happened just as easily in the pocket, same as the concussion. Aside from that point, would you prefer his doesn't run? A statue QB who's such an athletic freak, and you don't want him to use his talents? Makes no sense to me. If you're afraid of injury, don't play. Obviously that doesn't mean run him over and over and over, but don't slap Steichen for using Richardson's talents.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not misrepresenting anything or Levis at all. Stats are 1 thing, but I also go by what I see. I am to the point where I almost don't feel like saying anything bad at all about Stroud or Levis because when I do, you and a couple others just think I am a hater. It is becoming tiring and really makes me dislike this site at times. You don't value my opinion at all and accuse me of being biased or misrepresenting. 

When someone says something negative about AR, I have never seen you once harass them like you do me when I talk about another's teams QB not playing great . All I do is state facts and an opinion on what I see. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no agenda, do you?

My agenda is to have a discussion, not to try to get more folks to see it my way......,if that's what you mean by agenda..

If a QB threw a pick on the last play of the game trying to win it on a hail mary from 40 yard line...would your opinion see that pick as losing the game?   (and I know that you did not say that).

How does that situation compare to what Levis did, which was to throw a pick near the endzone from the 20 yard line on 3rd and 10 with 11 seconds left to play?

See why it could be seen as misrepresentation?  Seeing it as misrepresentation is an opinion too.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is never going to be, with too many variables of pass catchers and schemes being different all coming into picture. Some folks navigate the pocket and read it faster, some folks have to move around a bit more like Mahomes to get to those 3rd and 4th reads.

That was the downfall of RG3, never progressing beyond a 2nd read. That is also a big part of QB coaching, which is why we hired Steichen. Just that we couldn't witness the progression or development due to injury. Some with more starting experience in college might have a greater floor for those reads but we all know it wasn't the floor that got AR drafted, the hope was Steichen could get AR there. :) 

Agreed. 

I think some of the second read stuff is by design.  Because maybe the Qb does not have the arm to make all of the throws to those 4 receivers running 4 different patterns anyway, they are coached to take off when they feel pressure.  Others are coached to hang in there and make the throw while taking their hits in the pocket instead of on the hoof. 

But a guy like Levis, who can also run, should probably bail out earlier than he did last night.  Hanging in there too long was a weakness shown in college.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed. 

I think some of the second read stuff is by design.  Because maybe the Qb does not have the arm to make all of the throws to those 4 receivers running 4 different patterns, they are coached to take off when they feel pressure.  Others are coached to hang in there and take their hits in the pocket instead of on the hoof. 

But a guy like Levis, who can also run, should probably bail earlier than he did last night, and hanging in in there too long was a weakness shown in college.

The flip side is also true. My co-worker who sits next to me is a hard core KY fan and he said a lot of Levis' injuries he played with leading to starting his senior season banged up was his own doing, that he was a "head first" running QB instead of a "sliding" QB when he runs. Levis sees around the NFL and probably realizes the folly of that approach. He might as well move around and hang in the pocket and take the sack, IMO. If he were my QB, I would say that is the right approach.

Watch his runs in college, most of them are like Carson Wentz head first runs. The Titans DO NOT want that at the NFL level, period, I can guarantee that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The flip side is also true. My co-worker who sits next to me is a hard core KY fan and he said a lot of Levis' injuries he played with leading to starting his senior season banged up was his own doing, that he was a "head first" running QB instead of a "sliding" QB when he runs. Levis sees around the NFL and probably realizes the folly of that approach. He might as well move around and hang in the pocket and take the sack, IMO. If he were my QB, I would say that is the right approach.

Watch his runs in college, most of them are like Carson Wentz head first runs. The Titans DO NOT want that at the NFL level, period, I can guarantee that.

Yep.  I've seen both of Levis' games.  Honestly, I don't remember him scrambling even once.  You'd not recognize his college tape.  He may have tried a few times in both games, but it looked to me like he was constantly focused down the field and was too late.  I actually think that's a good thing. 

If TEN gets two competent receivers and a TE, and a check down scat back to look for, I think TENs O is going to be very good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardinal Albert Simon said:

Nothing wrong with hoping someone turns out well no matter if it's 1 minute after the draft or after 1 preseason game.
My issues stem from the general public and media criticizing Steichen for running Richardson. That shoulder injury could have happened just as easily in the pocket, same as the concussion. Aside from that point, would you prefer his doesn't run? A statue QB who's such an athletic freak, and you don't want him to use his talents? Makes no sense to me. If you're afraid of injury, don't play. Obviously that doesn't mean run him over and over and over, but don't slap Steichen for using Richardson's talents.

Welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Agreed. 

I think some of the second read stuff is by design.  Because maybe the Qb does not have the arm to make all of the throws to those 4 receivers running 4 different patterns anyway, they are coached to take off when they feel pressure.  Others are coached to hang in there and make the throw while taking their hits in the pocket instead of on the hoof. 

But a guy like Levis, who can also run, should probably bail out earlier than he did last night.  Hanging in there too long was a weakness shown in college.

This is similar to what T.J. Watt said after the game. 

After the game, Amazon's broadcast crew asked Watt what he saw from the rookie quarterback. 

"A lot of toughness," Watt responded. "A guy that's gonna hang in there, take the hits and deliver some really good passes. He held onto it a little bit tonight, but he was able to escape with his feet and extend some plays, and I think he's going to have a good career."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-t-j-watt-believes-titans-will-levis-is-going-to-have-a-good-career-after-week-9-matchup/

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I too thought Levis played very well. He has played well in both his games. While I agree with you when it comes to this, it does seem that you are overly upset that others disagree. There seems to be certain players/people that you advocate for more than others. Why not advocate the same way for AR, Pickett, Stroud? Stroud has played well too according to reports.

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I too thought Levis played very well. He has played well in both his games. While I agree with you when it comes to this, it does seem that you are overly upset that others disagree. There seems to be certain players/people that you advocate for more than others. Why not advocate the same way for AR, Pickett, Stroud? Stroud has played well too according to reports.

I based my opinions on what I see as an honest observation of the games.  I see others opinions seemingly based upon a description of the game that is not sincere....simply going off of what they are saying in their posts.  

Since you saw the game, would you say that Levis "failed to win it in the 4th quarter twice" or "threw a pick that lost the game"?  I can't see how anybody could describe it that way unless they already had an agenda.  Maybe some go out of their way to discredit certain players and not others?

I have not advocated for AR in the same way....defended him against bad descriptions... because I haven't read a description of his performance that isn't accurate.   I can't argue with "injury prone" the same way I can with "threw a pick that lost the game" because I know the latter is a wrong way to describe it while I don't know if AR is actually injury prone or not. 

I have advocated for Stroud.  By all accounts, nobody has misdiscribed his performance that I've read.  Interesting.

I have nothing good to say about Pickett really, in the small sample size I've seen.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have no problem with anyone questioning if AR will be successful. I have no idea if he will. You are missing the point and pulling a Doug now. I am done trying to explain myself. This is exhausting.

I think the problem that folks saw was that you did not seem to give Levis credit for playing well. The numbers did not show how well he played. That is why I don't like stats. They do not accurately show how someone played. Seeing him play showed that he is a competent NFL QB, as are the others. I think Richardson will be great, barring injury. The sky is the limit. But Levis could be very good too.

It is okay to like more than one QB. Remember how much I loved Philip Rivers? I was alone cheering for him to go #1. I thought that highly of him. All three (Eli and Ben) turned out to be very good to great. I would still take Rivers over the other two but I was a big fan of Big Ben and I came to be a fan of Eli too.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since you saw the game, would you say that Levis "failed to win it in the 4th quarter twice" or "threw a pick that lost the game"?  I can't see how anybody could describe it that way unless they already had an agenda.  Maybe some go out of their way to discredit certain players and not others?

Didn't you see my comments in the game thread? I wrote that he played well and wrote what I thought he did well. I wrote it at least twice.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Didn't you see my comments in the game thread? I wrote that he played well and wrote what I thought he did well. I wrote it at least twice.

Yes I did, I think you have said it a lot.

But that doesn't answer my question as to whether or not you think that the statement "threw a pick to lose the game" is a sincere description of what happened if someone watched the game?