Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Allen spilling some good info on Richardson

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep that’s what I was telling someone on Twitter. It’s not his arm mechanics it’s inconsistent footwork.

I know it’s hard for him.  Not because of his lack of experience, because he knows he can take off and outrun the defense at any second lol

jk

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep that’s what I was telling someone on Twitter. It’s not his arm mechanics it’s inconsistent footwork.

FWIW:

Richardson’s footwork issues are NOT new.   They’ve been written about for at least a year.   The question was could they be corrected?   The Colts are betting they can.  

• Like 1

He is still Uber raw and very young. Qb coaching can vary widely at the college level. I actually think it is beneficial we get him so young and inexperienced because he hasn’t grown accustomed to playing with bad mechanics and he is willing to learn. We also have more time to work with him. His skill set, measurables are off the charts. He makes a lot of mistakes but he also has shown he learns from them and corrects them. I think he is a special kid and if he stays on the right path he will have a bright future. By far my preferred pick in the draft.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:

Richardson’s footwork issues are NOT new.   They’ve been written about for at least a year.   The question was could they be corrected?   The Colts are betting they can.  

Well even josh Allen said it’s a daily battle. As we all know this isn’t something that’s gonna happen overnight. I hope we can correct the issues and get him up to mid 65% over the next few year. But Ballard had to do more to give him weapons cause Alec and gonna cut it , if he don’t make some major improvements 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:11 PM, stitches said:

Good stuff... his upper body mechanics doesn't seem to be the problem. It's mainly his footwork and aligning his feet with his eyes and his throwing direction. 

I know it sounds easy to correct, and I hope he does. However, when the bullets fly, a lot of qbs  revert back to their bad mechanics. He does seem different.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, stitches said:

Good stuff... his upper body mechanics doesn't seem to be the problem. It's mainly his footwork and aligning his feet with his eyes and his throwing direction. 

This thing maps throwers from head to toe, so it has some value. But it's all about static throwing mechanics, and I think Richardson is fine as a static thrower. 

What he needs to drill is his hitching, going through progressions, lining up properly, throwing from a crowded pocket, etc. And doing all of this while maintaining good mechanics. Josh Allen says in this video, sometimes his mechanics start to falter, and I think I saw a lot of that last season, especially when he was hurt. It's a constant thing they have to work on. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Well even josh Allen said it’s a daily battle. As we all know this isn’t something that’s gonna happen overnight. I hope we can correct the issues and get him up to mid 65% over the next few year. But Ballard had to do more to give him weapons cause Alec and gonna cut it , if he don’t make some major improvements 

Josh Allen is a major outlier. History says QBs don't improve from mid 50s completion percentage to mid 60s completion percentage, especially not for a prolonged period of time. I'd love if Richardson follows the Josh Allen path, but I think Cam Newton is a counter example. He won an MVP and had some good seasons, but for the most part he was a high 50s / low 60s completion percentage guy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Josh Allen is a major outlier. History says QBs don't improve from mid 50s completion percentage to mid 60s completion percentage, especially not for a prolonged period of time. I'd love if Richardson follows the Josh Allen path, but I think Cam Newton is a counter example. He won an MVP and had some good seasons, but for the most part he was a high 50s / low 60s completion percentage guy.

Kind of depressing that we likely have a Cam Newton-like QB. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yea , I’m more concerned with him making winning plays than I am with the completion percentage. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I know. Who wants to have to deal with an MVP level QB who can get your team to the Super Bowl? Huge mistake for us...

Who would not want that? People who are used to watching Manning, then Luck: QBs that excelled at passing, which is the backbone to sustained success in the league. 

So anyone who values elite passing and desires sustained success. 

Surprised to get such a sarcastic and contextless response from you. 

12 hours ago, Superman said:

I think when you have athletic freaks like Allen and Richardson the completion percentage is less of a concern because they can make winning plays in other ways. If a pocket passer was that low they would never be able to have a career in the nfl.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

I know you didn't mean this to be taken in a negative light and I have no idea if he will get a lot better and sometimes i can get a little to optimistic but this kid seems like the real deal and if anyone can do it I would put my money on him.   

Evidence that I am relying on are

1. his study habits - I have read that he is so engrossed in the playbook that players have had to shout at him to get his head out of the book.  This tells me he is committed to excellence (the late Al Davis would love him) and will do what it takes to be great.   He has also said this, but actions speak louder, and his actions are clearly backing his speech.

2. The video in the op shows that he is doing more than simple workouts.  He is taking this modern science approach to advance himself.  The commentary by Allen stating what it did for him and what he sees in AR are strong indicators that he may also be an outlier.  

3. He was named a captain as a rookie and only 21 years old.  To me that shows he has the Moxy or "It" factor as well.  Drive/Will alone can take you far in life.  His teammates recognize this.  They would not vote him as captain unless he already showed he was worthy.  

He may not improve his completion percentage, but I think he has a strong chance to.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I know you didn't mean this to be taken in a negative light and I have no idea if he will get a lot better and sometimes i can get a little to optimistic but this kid seems like the real deal and if anyone can do it I would put my money on him.   

1. his study habits - I have read that he is so engrossed in the playbook that players have had to shout at him to get his head out of the book.  This tells me he is committed to excellence (the late Al Davis would love him) and will do what it takes to be great.   He has also said this, but actions speak louder, and his actions are clearly backing his speech.

2. The video in the op shows that he is doing more than simple workouts.  He is taking this modern science approach to advance himself.  The commentary by Allen stating what it did for him and what he sees in AR are strong indicators that he may also be an outlier.  

3. He was named a captain as a rookie and only 21 years old.  To me that shows he has the Moxy or "It" factor as well.  Drive/Will alone can take you far in life.  His teammates recognize this.  They would not vote him as captain unless he already showed he was worthy.  

He may not improve his completion percentage, but I think he has a strong chance to.  

Yeah I like all his intangibles also, but I've been saying all along that the odds are against him fixing all of his technical issues. We've seen a hundred project QBs, and most of them continue to struggle with these things throughout their careers. Josh Allens are the exception, not the rule. 

And that's why I think Cam Newton is a good counter. He never became an efficient passer, but he still produced. And I think that's a more realistic projection for Richardson. I hope he exceeds that level, but sometimes my expectations get out of control and need to be tempered. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 12:43 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Then there's thing with throwing fast without a touch most often, which is an issue with his arm release.

So, it's not just one issue that he needs to correct, he needs to gradually fix few more things.

It's good technology helps them realize what they are doing wrong. 

8 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Who would not want that? People who are used to watching Manning, then Luck: QBs that excelled at passing, which is the backbone to sustained success in the league. 

So anyone who values elite passing and desires sustained success. 

Surprised to get such a sarcastic and contextless response from you. 

It wasn't meant to be that sharp. But I do think it's crazy to feel depressed by having a QB who could be a Cam Newton level player. The dude was having a strong career until his shoulder went out, and for all of Luck's polish and traditional passing prowess, he didn't come close to an MVP. I also think it's important that the league has changed in the last 5-10 years, and young QBs who are still working on their fundamentals can perform at a high level. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It wasn't meant to be that sharp. But I do think it's crazy to feel depressed by having a QB who could be a Cam Newton level player. The dude was having a strong career until his shoulder went out, and for all of Luck's polish and traditional passing prowess, he didn't come close to an MVP. I also think it's important that the league has changed in the last 5-10 years, and young QBs who are still working on their fundamentals can perform at a high level. 

I guess. Always thought Cams game was underwhelming.

Also, just for clarification, I don't don't mean "depressed" literally, just figuratively; its just a bummer. This stuff is just entertainment to me, and IF a Newton-like QB is featured in this next Colts chapter then that's a bit underwhelming after what I have witnessed. 

I guess you liked Newtons play. 

Also, If Luck's team had the best record in the league, I'm sure he could have won MVP in '14 or '18. 

Cam went to the Super Bowl when he had one of the very top defenses that season. It was about on par with Denver's, iirc.  

If the NFL has, indeed, changed in the sense that the likely hood of QBs passing at a high level through coaching has increased, we may not be just looking at the beginning of a mere mediocre passer ala Cam Newton, but another Allen.

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

Also, just for clarification, I don't don't mean "depressed" literally, just figuratively; its just a bummer. This stuff is just entertainment to me, and IF a Newton-like QB is featured in this next Colts chapter then that's a bit underwhelming after what I have witnessed. 

Also, If Luck's team had the best record in the league, I'm sure he could have won MVP in '14 or '18. 

Cam went to the Super Bowl when he had one of the very top defenses that season. It was about on par with Denver's, iirc.  

If the NFL has, indeed, changed in the sense that the likely hood of QBs passing at a high level through coaching has increased, we may not be just looking at the beginning of a mere mediocre passer ala Cam Newton, but another Allen.

I didn't necessarily like Cam's play, but he reached heights that most NFL QBs don't. And then he got hurt, partly because he kept throwing his body around like a RB. I think if Cam came along now, and was coached by the right person, he'd be even better.

And I think the changes the NFL has seen in the last decade have been monumental, especially for QBs. First, some of these guys are groomed to be QB1 from grade school, with passing coaches, pro style play books, camps, etc., starting before high school. Second, 15 years ago, teams were still shunning "running QBs," and now practically everyone wants one because they've figured out how to use them more effectively. So now, even unrefined QBs can have a measure of success right away.

But there's still passing development, and some guys have a lower ceiling than others. The Bills didn't just figure out a way to use Josh Allen; he also became a much better passer. And that level of development is not typical. It basically NEVER happens.

So my point is that even if Richardson hits a ceiling with his development as a passer, he can still be a productive QB, and we can win with him even if his completion percentage stalls out in the low 60s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Cam was underwhelming only if you look at him as a passer... Hence I think it's influence of watching Manning and Luck for decades. 

Apart from Newton's athletic traits, he was good at film study, deciphering what opposing defenses like to do and what they're trying to do before the snap, even mock them during the snap while changing plays and making plays when not there.

He played at very high level for few years, even if he had never improved as the passer. He's not one to be under valued. 

On 8/31/2023 at 9:43 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I know it sounds easy to correct, and I hope he does. However, when the bullets fly, a lot of qbs  revert back to their bad mechanics. He does seem different.

Yea I mean I can attest that. Changing a form does take time ,but with rep after, rep after, rep it becomes habit. That hardest thing is gonna be oline giving him time to let it stick and he doesn’t get the crap beat out of him and that leads to him not trusting the new mechanics and reverting back or picking up bad ones.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah I like all his intangibles also, but I've been saying all along that the odds are against him fixing all of his technical issues. We've seen a hundred project QBs, and most of them continue to struggle with these things throughout their careers. Josh Allens are the exception, not the rule. 

And that's why I think Cam Newton is a good counter. He never became an efficient passer, but he still produced. And I think that's a more realistic projection for Richardson. I hope he exceeds that level, but sometimes my expectations get out of control and need to be tempered. 

I think some of the biggest things that being over looked in this AR topic is that ….

1. The NFL has changed in the last decade + since cam newton got drafted. The league caters more to movement QBs and the NFL systems are a lot more college like than back in cam early years. 
2. Cam newton head coach was a defensive guy which I think is never a good move for a young QB develop most of the time. 
3. Ar has an entire team from HC, OC, Qbc etc… that has been with young QBs and good qbs and their development. Also Shane is making a scheme that fits Ar skill set instead of back in the day coaches ran what they ran and it was up to said player to fit said “pro style”. I’m not saying I think AR will be better than cam , but I think overall the NFL has changed so much and teams a so flexible to college scheme that we have a good chance of him turning out to be Decent player than not in a couple year 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

The Pessimist View

1) he is hard of hearing and that is why they had to shout

2) he thought he was going to play virtual reality games

3) he threatened them with unspeakable things if they didn't vote him captain

Just kidding.   He definitely seems to doing and saying the right things.

38 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The Pessimist View

1) he is hard of hearing and that is why they had to shout

2) he thought he was going to play virtual reality games

3) he threatened them with unspeakable things if they didn't vote him captain

Just kidding.   He definitely seems to doing and saying the right things.

Lol. Well done. 

I actually appreciate this forum for the many pessimist views.  It tempers my expectations so I’m not weeping every Monday.  Lol. 

51 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sounds like they put some device in your arm and it can map your throwing motion. 

Yeah, the technology has been present and common in other sports for at least two decades now.

There would be small devices placed at various points of body connected together and they map all the movements as a person engages in actions like moving, throwing, and measure even to the minute details like level of degree of bends in elbow, chest, shoulder, ankle, knee, feet, etc., 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sounds like they put some device in your arm and it can map your throwing motion. 

Oh, ok.  That makes sense.  I wonder if that can do that for for feet and legs.

11 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, the technology has been present and common in other sports for at least two decades now.

There would be small devices placed at various points of body connected together and they map all the movements as a person engages in actions like moving, throwing, and measure even to the minute details like level of degree of bends in elbow, chest, shoulder, ankle, knee, feet, etc., 

Sounds like something that would be used for video games.  lol

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Oh, ok.  That makes sense.  I wonder if that can do that for for feet and legs.

Sounds like something that would be used for video games.  lol

It's the same technology they use for motion capture and CGI for video games and movies. 

• Thanks 1