Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Risky move by Coach

indyagent17

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

It seems like some teams will be playing their starters in game 3. I saw on television that the Jets plan to start Aaron Rodgers in the third/last game. I wonder if Richardson will start. Would fans like him to start or sit it out?

We wanted him to start this game. Lol.

Definitely want him to play.

Seems teams are starting to formulate game plans on how to attack preseason.

Seems most played their backups this week with plan of play starters next week. Looking at the box scores.

Which could make some sense, because there is so much time between last preseason game and regular season. Playing in 2nd game instead of 3rd just adds an additional week break. Too much time in between.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It seems like some teams will be playing their starters in game 3. I saw on television that the Jets plan to start Aaron Rodgers in the third/last game. I wonder if Richardson will start. Would fans like him to start or sit it out?

I am good either way. Whatever the coaches decide. Out of being a fan, I would love him out there. If he isn't, it isn't going to ruin my week. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Seems most played their backups this week with plan of play starters next week. Looking at the box scores.

I think he should, but who am I to say.?!  I'm not the head coach. haha

I don't think Cousins has played at all this preseason. I hope he plays in this third game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be surprised if Kirk plays, he might 1 series. Mahomes played last night so who knows. 

I believe Mahomes played in Games 1 and 2. He played more than I expected. Every team is different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am good either way. Whatever the coaches decide. Out of being a fan, I would love him out there. If he isn't, it isn't going to ruin my week. 

Same, it didn't ruin my week. But at the same time it was a little disappointing going about my whole day and finally sitting on my couch to see garder minshew run out on the field lol.

I get preseason is for the coaches and bubble players. Then don't televise the games and let us see the stinkin joint practices instead!! :lol:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He must need the experience to get ready for the season out of the gate. Maybe Reid being around for awhile knows something. 

It is different for all teams. We have to assume the coaches are making the best decisions for their respective teams..

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Regardless of what the fans want , the starters are sitting out game 3. Just read it on Stampede Blue.

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think 100 percent AR should start.   The only question is how much he should play?  

A quarter?    A half?    

I think the “how much” aspect is the key question for every team.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think 100 percent AR should start.   The only question is how much he should play?  

A quarter?    A half?    

I think the “how much” aspect is the key question for every team. 

No more than a half. But it seems like he will not play.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Regardless of what the fans want , the starters are sitting out game 3. Just read it on Stampede Blue.

Thanks. I just read that too.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Clearly I have missed something…..   what was said that gives you the impression that AR will not play in the final PS game?   

Stampede Blue intimated that he will not play. The wording was not clear but the writer said that Richardson will wait to make his next start on Sept. 10th.

After Saturday’s 24-17 win over the Chicago Bears, Steichen told reporters he has not decided to play rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson, or any starters, in the final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Colts’ 2023 first round draft pick will wait to make his home debut on Sept. 10, when the Colts host the Jacksonville Jaguars.

ARTICLE

• Thanks 1

Wasn't AR the only healthy rookie QB not to play this weekend? I saw Stroud and Young both played and Levis is hurt. 

I see a lot of dismissal of the value of the preseason to young players so I'd ask, are you in favor of scraping the preseason entirely? If it's not used for rookies to get the NFL feel and for other players to shake the rust off then what's the point?

I also see we're not the coach and we don't know better. While true, the Colts did the opposite of their NFL peers both this season and last which means the Colts are the outlier here. My opinion certainly doesn't matter but the rest of the NFL has a different opinion than Steichen and the Colts about the value of rookies playing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Wasn't AR the only healthy rookie QB not to play this weekend? I saw Stroud and Young both played and Levis is hurt. 

I see a lot of dismissal of the value of the preseason to young players so I'd ask, are you in favor of scraping the preseason entirely? If it's not used for rookies to get the NFL feel and for other players to shake the rust off then what's the point?

I also see we're not the coach and we don't know better. While true, the Colts did the opposite of their NFL peers both this season and last which means the Colts are the outlier here. My opinion certainly doesn't matter but the rest of the NFL has a different opinion than Steichen and the Colts about the value of rookies playing. 

I would have rather he played,  but the fact that he didn't isn't going to make or break anything.   He has already been named the starter.    If he is absolutely terrible this season,  it won't be because he didn't play against the Bears

• Like 6

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Steichen said he isn't sure yet

According to Stampede Blue , that's not the case.

"After Saturday’s 24-17 win over the Chicago Bears, Steichen told reporters he has not decided to play rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson, or any starters, in the final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. "

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

"After Saturday’s 24-17 win over the Chicago Bears, Steichen told reporters he has not decided to play rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson, or any starters, in the final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. "

Right. He hasn't decided 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That quote literally says he has not decided…

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That is what Jvan said.

• Like 2

It seems like AR "should" play if he's going to start QB.  BUT.  We shouldn't be competitive pretty much at all this year. I doubt anyone on the sidelines and in the FO thinks we will be.

I am concerned with load management for this young guy who is going to take a ton of carries and a ton of hits in this offense. 

That has to be the logic here I would think.  Load management.   Don't let your QB get touched until the season starts.  Otherwise I'm failing to see a point of keeping him out of the entire preseason.

We are certainly doing the ole Frank Sinatra "my Way" thing these last two seasons though. 

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Stampede Blue intimated that he will not play. The wording was not clear but the writer said that Richardson will wait to make his next start on Sept. 10th.

ARTICLE

It actually says HOME debut, which is almost guaranteed at this point. The game in Philly won't be home debut, whether he plays or not.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I would have rather he played,  but the fact that he didn't isn't going to make or break anything.   He has already been named the starter.    If he is absolutely terrible this season,  it won't be because he didn't play against the Bears

If he is terrible this year, then what is it? Is he been poorly coached, lack of experience, or he just isn’t very good? We will have to see how the season unfolds. Currently he has a lack of experience. Now our coach is unsure if he will play this week. Wow!

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If he is terrible this year, then what is it? Is he been poorly coached, lack of experience, or he just isn’t very good? We will have to see how the season unfolds. Currently he has a lack of experience. Now our coach is unsure if he will play this week. Wow!

He isn't going to get years of experience in a couple of preseason games.   He is also a runner.   I don't think they want to risk injury in a meaningless game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what Jvan said.

I'll stand by my post . That's an obvious typo by the Stampede Blue writer. I'll provide a little more of the article which should leave little doubt. It is a little ambiguous but "not decided to play AR etc" is not how you would express that you are undecided.

After Saturday’s 24-17 win over the Chicago Bears, Steichen told reporters he has not decided to play rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson, or any starters, in the final preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Colts’ 2023 first round draft pick will wait to make his home debut on Sept. 10, when the Colts host the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

“I think we had those two joint practices against the Bears back-to-back days,” Steichen said. “To me, I look at those as legit games. He got all those reps and a lot of starters didn’t play on both sides of the ball and that was the decision that was made.”

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'll stand by my post . That's an obvious typo by the Stampede Blue writer. I'll provide a little more of the article which should leave little doubt. It is a little ambiguous but "not decided to play AR etc" is not how you would express that you are undecided.

“I think we had those two joint practices against the Bears back-to-back days,” Steichen said. “To me, I look at those as legit games. He got all those reps and a lot of starters didn’t play on both sides of the ball and that was the decision that was made.”

He hasn't decided.   Here is an article from this website.  He said he is leaning towards playing the starters 

https://www.colts.com/news/starters-not-playing-shane-steichen-josh-downs-james-washington-bears

53 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Well, then Steichen had a miss speak too because the local news carried his presser and he said he hadn’t decided yet and that he was leaning towards playing them but still hadn’t decided.  

So they might not play but Shane still hasn’t publicly said one way or another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well, then Steichen had a miss speak too because the local news carried his presser and he said he hadn’t decided yet and that he was leaning towards playing them but still hadn’t decided.  

He said he was leaning towards  playing them but no final decision has been made yet.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Around 4 posts above this , I agreed that I was mistaken. But if you need it again... I am wrong .

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No one said not that playing Richardson is "going to make or break anything".

8 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I see a lot of dismissal of the value of the preseason to young players so I'd ask, are you in favor of scraping the preseason entirely?

My thought exactly. I am surprised by the degree to which it is dismissed. You pose a good question: why have preseason games if it is not a warm-up for the regular season? Why play only players who most likely will not make the team.

I may be in favor of scrapping the postseason and playing an 18-game season. This was discussed on the Vikings site, as the Vikings sat almost all starters, if not all, in this last game.

• Like 1