Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor - Excused Absence from Training Camp

sb41champs

Per the "Around the NFL" staff:

Colts running back Jonathan Taylor received an excused absence from practice as he continues to seek treatment for his ankle injury, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday on Inside Training Camp Live.

Taylor has not been with the team since at least Monday, according to Rapoport, who says his absence will continue "for a little bit" as he hopes to ensure he's 100% healthy when the 2023 season begins.

"Who he plays for when that season begins is a whole other topic," Rapoport added on ITC Live. "Obviously, that's something we've discussed -- the trade request is still outstanding -- but that is going on with Taylor today."

A trade request came about following Taylor's meeting with Colts owner Jim Irsay last month. The former All-Pro wants a contract extension that puts him in line with the league's highest-paid running backs, but the Colts have not yet made a contract offer, according to Rapoport.

Taylor is coming off a down year that paled in comparison to the 24-year-old's breakout campaign in 2021. The ankle injury certainly factored into Taylor's subpar season, which was limited to 11 games and saw career lows in just about every stat category imaginable. He underwent surgery on the ankle in January.

While his status with Indianapolis remains in question, Taylor will be rehabbing his ankle for a full return, wherever that may be.

It didn’t make sense to have a pouty guy with a hoodie tucked around his face on the practice field. If there is a silver lining, it is that a team which figured to have a losing season anyway may now be a candidate for the #1 pick next year. Caleb Williams will be there to draft or trade for a king’s ransom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

It didn’t make sense to have a pouty guy with a hoodie tucked around his face on the practice field. If there is a silver lining, it is that a team which figured to have a losing season anyway may now be a candidate for the #1 pick next year. Caleb Williams will be there to draft or trade for a king’s ransom.

Us?  We won't be anywhere near the #1 pick.  The talent level is much too high unless the wheels completely fall off... Which can happen (last year). Even then.....almost accidentally won five games.

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Us?  We won't be anywhere near the #1 pick.  The talent level is much too high unless the wheels completely fall off... Which can happen (last year). Even then.....almost accidentally won five games.

NFL.com Power Ranking today ranks us 27th worst out of the 32 teams.  I hope you are right about all of that talent. I thought we had a top 5 OL last year that would surely result in a lot of wins no matter the questions at QB. It turns out the OL was way overrated and we now have a rookie QB who wasn’t close to all-conference in college. He may be great someday but in the meantime we’d better win with defense including the sketchy secondary — even with JT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

A rookie QB, our best offensive weapon (JT) potentially not playing this season. An inexperienced secondary. Is a recipe for a top 5 pick season. 

Only two possible outcomes in my mind at this point….. Injured Reserve for the year; Injured Reserve and Return…

No trades will be made for a RB on an expiring contract with a bum ankle when nobody has signed the currently healthy options available in free agency still…..

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Only two possible outcomes in my mind at this point….. Injured Reserve for the year; Injured Reserve and Return…

No trades will be made for a RB on an expiring contract with a bum ankle when nobody has signed the currently healthy options available in free agency still…..

Yeah, I don't get how JT has much trade value at all. 

He wants to play for no less than (realistically) $12M per year.  That's FA money.  Why does a team want to spend draft picks to then also spend FA money....it should be one or the other.  If JT doesn't play on his current contract, he has little value to another team at this point.  Unless they see themselves as making a deep playoff run this season.

Teams aren't really looking for a RB like JT to make the centerpiece of the offense, so tearing up the current contract to sign him to a multi year deal seems remote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I don't get how JT has much trade value at all. 

He wants to play for no less than (realistically) $12M per year.  That's FA money.  Why does a team want to spend draft picks to then also spend FA money....it should be one or the other.  If JT doesn't play on his current contract, he has little value to another team at this point.  Unless they see themselves as making a deep playoff run this season.

Teams aren't really looking for a RB like JT to make the centerpiece of the offense, so tearing up the current contract to sign him to a multi year deal seems remote.

Yeah I'm drawing a blank on who would be throwing away capital to get him...

The Bills don't really utilize their backs with Allen.

The Bengals have Mixon who already signed a team friendly deal.

The Chiefs clearly don't need Taylor, they seemed just fine last year with their current crop.

Jets? Naw...

Dolphins? Maybe? 

Ravens? 

Perhaps the Broncos to for the sake of making a big headline and drawing attention away from all the Payton comments? 

I could see the Patriots trying for him just to screw with us. The Ravens have had horrible luck with RBs and injuries, plus do they need JT with Jackson back? 

Cardinals are in hell, maybe they're desperate enough? The Giants are set... The Cowboys are set... the Eagles are doing the RbbC thing... Maybe Seattle could use him as the next Beast Mode? 49ers are set with the top all purpose back in CMC... 

Washington? I feel like JT wouldn't fit Bieniemy's scheme... 

Rams? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Chiefs clearly don't need Taylor, they seemed just fine last year with their current crop.

Jets? Naw...

Dolphins? Maybe? 

Ravens? 

Perhaps the Broncos to for the sake of making a big headline and drawing attention away from all the Payton comments? 

I could see the Patriots trying for him just to screw with us. The Ravens have had horrible luck with RBs and injuries, plus do they need JT with Jackson back? 

Cardinals are in hell, maybe they're desperate enough? The Giants are set... The Cowboys are set... the Eagles are doing the RbbC thing... Maybe Seattle could use him as the next Beast Mode? 49ers are set with the top all purpose back in CMC... 

Rams? 

Dolphins or Ravens.  They are playoff-ish teams that don't have the QB to compete with the other teams, so offensive explosion from JT might be useful to them. 

I think the Bills could use JT to try to keep the heat off of Allen, but that requires a material change to their offense, IMO.

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Jets? Naw...

Dolphins? Maybe? 

Ravens? 

Rams? 

The Bills have said they want to get away from running Allen too much.  He was their leading rusher last year.  Allen said he wants to run less as well.  He would be a great fit for them especially in the terrible weather they could have in Buffalo.  They don't have a lot of cap space though.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Dolphins or Ravens.  They are playoff-ish teams that don't have the QB to compete with the other teams, so offensive explosion from JT might be useful to them. 

I think the Bills could use JT to try to keep the heat off of Allen, but that requires a material change to their offense, IMO.

Maybe the Steelers too? Take some pressure off of Pickett. 

• Like 1

Questions

1. Is JT hurt that bad that he has to go somewhere to rehab? Why not at the Colts facility?

2. Is JT hurt that bad that the Colts are bringing in another RB?

3. Who will trade for a hurt player?

4. why all the hush, hush, just tell us the problem and if need be we move on.

I dont get it

• Like 1

Trade him to either Minny or Chicago just to tick the Badger/Packer fans off! Minny could use him with losing Cook. We could try to get Eberfludge to trade all his draft picks for JT even though they are another rbbc team. Maybe dont let Eb leave the upcoming scrimmage until he does so! 

To me it seems like a few possibilities could be at play. I heard last week a former player, on air personality ( might have been Chris Simms, but not really sure if it was him) say ( paraphrasing) watch for the Colts organization, in the near future, find a way to keep JT away from the practice field with his sulking, nonparticipation, as they are trying to build enthusiasm, and don't need him poisoning the atmosphere. It was said that they might instruct JT that he has rehab from 6-8 am daily, then leave the facility while the others practice. It is strange that JT has permission to get treatment outside of the facility when the team was against him going to Arizona to rehab in the off season as opposed to the Colts facility and trainers.

This could be a prelude to a trade, or interest, where another team wants a full medical workup of JT's condition, away from the Colts, removing any bias or undisclosed information ( Physical, MRI, CT Scan, X-rays etc.) and the Colts front office is obliging any interest from the league. It may leave time for in person interviews if potential teams have enough interest.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Trade him to either Minny or Chicago just to tick the Badger/Packer fans off! Minny could use him with losing Cook. We could try to get Eberfludge to trade all his draft picks for JT even though they are another rbbc team. Maybe dont let Eb leave the upcoming scrimmage until he does so! 

If we trade him, trade him to the Cards for a 2nd round pick in 2024, they are the worse team in football and need to put fans in the stands. We get a 2nd round pick and he gets to play for a stinky team that won't win anything. Sounds like a plan to me if he is the main major cause of this ridiculous distraction. JT needs to step up and say he wants to be a Colt, otherwise he looks like the bad guy here. That pains me to say because I have came up with several different contracts that he should be ok with being a RB and he is a great player. I have defended him on certain points as well, but this story has become nauseating. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What are the knocks on Yannick?

I'm sure you could do your own research, but ask yourself, a guy who has averaged about 10 sacks a year is headed to his 6th team in 8 seasons. No, he's not a drug abuser, beats or assaults anyone, but he has been difficult to deal with on multiple teams. I've read articles in the past from his time with the Jags, Vikings and Ravens. It is what it is. 

Steichen will hopefully be a great coach but if he fails I seriously doubt any networks will be seeking him out to be an announcer/analyst.  Answering Taylor questions must be difficult for anyone but he is really uncomfortable doing it. Yet he is at least pleasant as he ducks.😀

7 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

I'm sure you could do your own research, but ask yourself, a guy who has averaged about 10 sacks a year is headed to his 6th team in 8 seasons. No, he's not a drug abuser, beats or assaults anyone, but he has been difficult to deal with on multiple teams. I've read articles in the past from his time with the Jags, Vikings and Ravens. It is what it is. 

We just saw how quiet those 10 sacks can be last year. That’s a bigger part of it than anything else. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

Being an hourly worker that has not lived up to my full potential. I will say more times than not, the workers right. Its not very flattering to me when someone complains about making x-millions of dollars, but its also unflattering when u write a guy off for being a rb. Jt needs to prove himself more (maybe). A great year is just ok. This is a team sport, and the staff needs to be open about his worth, because there is always talk about rbs being expendable, and that can be hurtful. Jt means stuff to me so I assume that's full circle, I hope he is being a team player. You don't want to be like that Pittsburg rb, is all I'm saying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4daUColts said:

Being an hourly worker that has not lived up to my full potential. I will say more times than not, the workers right. Its not very flattering to me when someone complains about making x-millions of dollars, but its also unflattering when u write a guy off for being a rb. Jt needs to prove himself more (maybe). A great year is just ok. This is a team sport, and the staff needs to be open about his worth, because there is always talk about rbs being expendable, and that can be hurtful. Jt means stuff to me so I assume that's full circle, I hope he is being a team player. You don't want to be like that Pittsburg rb, is all I'm saying. 

The team, Irsay, Ballard, even Steichen a little bit in interviews, have all said the right things regarding JT's importance to the Colts now and going forward.  Now, Irsay has also said some really clumsy stuff....but that's part of his charm.