Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bernhard Raimann

compuls1v3

• compuls1v3 changed the title to Bernhard Raimann

He finished the season strong in the second half of the year. This continues a trend in his development where he seems to very quickly learn and incorporate what he's learned in game. Lets hope his upward trend continues next season. :goodluck:

• Like 4

To be clear….    His poor play lasted 11 games.    With our late bye week, his very good play lasted 6 games.  

Pretty impressive. 

When he was drafted, the Colts scouts said one of BRs best qualities was that he learns fast.    I think his stats back that up.  

Now, he has to build on that from here.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear….    His poor play lasted 11 games.    With our late bye week, his very good play lasted 6 games.  

Pretty impressive. 

When he was drafted, the Colts scouts said one of BRs best qualities was that he learns fast.    I think his stats back that up.  

Now, he has to build in that from here.   

I'm excited to see how he plays this year. I think he will have a nice 2nd year jump.

His better play last year lines right up with Saturday coming in too. I imagine he was able to coach him up at least a little. So hopefully this year our coaching is good. 

15 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I'm excited to see how he plays this year. I think he will have a nice 2nd year jump.

His better play last year lines right up with Saturday coming in too. I imagine he was able to coach him up at least a little. So hopefully this year our coaching is good. 

Regarding the Saturday viewpoint, you’re not the first person to make this observation, you’re just the latest.   And coming in a thread about Raimann, I think it’s appropriate to respond to it.  

I’m going to respectfully disagree with the idea that Saturday coached up Raimann.   Saturday was never an OL coach, or even an assistant OL coach.   So I don’t see him coaching up individual players.   The area where I do give Saturday a lot of OL credit is making the unit of 5 play like 1.   That was a disaster last year.  And I think it clearly got better once Saturday arrived.  I think that kind of Big Picture approach is much more in line with what Saturday could bring.   I just don’t see him working one on one with individual players.  I think that was Strausser.    Put another way,  I think if Reich had not been fired I still believe Raimann was going to improve.   Comments made about Raimann when he was drafted in April support that.  A very fast learner. 

I hope Freeland has a similar season.  I hope he too gets better as the season progresses.   The Colts are going to need it. 

• Like 2

I have no worries about LT with Raimann’s impressive end to 2022.  My worries are at RG and C.  I might be really open to starting Freeman at RT if he has an impressive TC and shuffling Braden over to RG.  If Kelly doesn’t step it up, I’d be fine with a little Center competition between French, Pinter, and Shepley.  Gotta know when to cut bait with players who’ve lost it.  It’s a good demonstration to the team of being held accountable for your performance.  The team knows when someone isn’t pulling his weight…

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd like to see more details.  70 PFF is good, but 48.5 against a playoff team is not good enough.  Posting PFFs of 70 against playoff defenses is where we want our starting LT to be.

I thought the Giants, Vikings,  and Cowboys were playoff teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would love to hear an explanation from PFF on how Raimann received a 70+ grade against PIT.

Highsmith ate him up that game, including at critical times.

But that was the game after the PHI game...and he was much better from that point on.

It will just be a matter of building on that. We have seen what happens when this team depends on samples of good play from the previous season. Last season, they got burned bad by both Pryor and Pinter.

But I think Raimann is a better player than those two. I just don't think he has a ton of upside to be considered a breakout player.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding the Saturday viewpoint, you’re not the first person to make this observation, you’re just the latest.   And coming in a thread about Raimann, I think it’s appropriate to respond to it.  

I’m going to respectfully disagree with the idea that Saturday coached up Raimann.   Saturday was never an OL coach, or even an assistant OL coach.   So I don’t see him coaching up individual players.   The area where I do give Saturday a lot of OL credit is making the unit of 5 play like 1.   That was a disaster last year.  And I think it clearly got better once Saturday arrived.  I think that kind of Big Picture approach is much more in line with what Saturday could bring.   I just don’t see him working one on one with individual players.  I think that was Strausser.    Put another way,  I think if Reich had not been fired I still believe Raimann was going to improve.   Comments made about Raimann when he was drafted in April support that.  A very fast learner. 

I hope Freeland has a similar season.  I hope he too gets better as the season progresses.   The Colts are going to need it. 

That’s fair. I agree, Raimann would’ve improved either way. I just think the timing of Saturdays arrival and his significant jump in play isn't coincidental. I’m ok to throw Jeff some credit for that.  

I can certainly understand your viewpoint and would actually agree with it if it was any other situation of a new or interim head coach coming in. Alas, it was a very unique situation with someone who had no coaching experience which makes me believe when Saturday came in, he stuck to the lanes he felt most comfortable and where he could add the most value. 

Just reading the article below gives the impression he was involved with the players and unit more than others. 

https://www.colts.com/news/bernhard-raimann-starting-left-tackle-2022-draft-pick-jeff-saturday

At the end of the day, all that matters is if he continues to show that improvement and that our new coaches help push these players. I have hope for him! 

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I thought the Giants, Vikings,  and Cowboys were playoff teams.

Reading comprehension is a good thing, especially before calling out other posters.  Its something lost with several prominent posters on this forum. 

The article said 48.5 at Philly, but then Raimann improved the rest of the year.  I was pointing out that the article was essentially pointless if it did not carve out performances against other playoff teams compared to nonplayoff teams.  

You want me to look up what the teams in the "rest of the year" were when the author was too lazy to it before he published an article?  If I got paid like he does, I might do it.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Reading comprehension is a good thing, especially before calling out other posters.  Its something lost with several prominent posters on this forum. 

The article said 48.5 at Philly, but then Raimann improved the rest of the year.  I was pointing out that the article was essentially pointless if it did not carve out performances against other playoff teams compared to nonplayoff teams.  

You want me to look up what the teams in the "rest of the year" were when the author was too lazy to it before he published an article?  If I got paid like he does, I might do it.

That's fair.  I don't have access to PFF, so I don't know what his numbers were.  So I guess we are both making assumptions.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm not worried about Raimann, but the depth behind him is extremely thin. We're relying way too much on a 4th round rookie to be our swing T

Agree.  Fortunately there is plenty of time to address the depth on the OL.  Haag would be an ideal depth player and there are others.   I expect we will be adding some depth soon enough.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:25 PM, Chucklez said:

You're more concerned about Nelson than RG?....erm...

Yup, because I think they will be able to fill in  RG with an off season acquisition or that guy is already on the roster. In Kelly and Nelson, u have 2 bloated contracts that limit your ability to acquire skill players. Oh, and did I mention that they are no   where near to  meeting the price they are being paid? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yup, because I think they will be able to fill in  RG with an off season acquisition or that guy is already on the roster. In Kelly and Nelson, u have 2 bloated contracts that limit your ability to acquire skill players. Oh, and did I mention that they are no   where near to  meeting the price they are being paid? 

With Nelson, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that last year was more injury based than him dropping off. 

You don't go first team all pro 3 years in a row through luck.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chucklez said:

With Nelson, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that last year was more injury based than him dropping off. 

You don't go first team all pro 3 years in a row through luck.

first team all pro the firt three years was deserved. His 2nd team all pro was a gift and there was a regression in his play. Last year was a a disaster, so I would argue that the regression has been over 2 years and lets hope he bounces back

40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

first team all pro the firt three years was deserved. His 2nd team all pro was a gift and there was a regression in his play. Last year was a a disaster, so I would argue that the regression has been over 2 years and lets hope he bounces back

Do you have any idea how many times you’ve made this same argument about Q, and each time you conveniently leave out the part of a broken foot in training camp and then a high ankle sprain during the ‘21 season?   I think Q missed 5 games that season.   

So your argument removes any and all context for why Q’s performance dropped off.   He has no excuse.   If I had $1 for every time I’ve pointed this out, I’d be rich.   So the fact that you’ve done this over and over and over tells me it’s deliberate and not accidental.   That says you have an agenda. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have any idea how many times you’ve made this same argument about Q, and each time you conveniently leave out the part of a broken foot in training camp and then a high ankle sprain during the ‘21 season?   I think Q missed 5 games that season.   

So your argument removes any and all context for why Q’s performance dropped off.   He has no excuse.   If I had $1 for every time I’ve pointed this out, I’d be rich.   So the fact that you’ve done this over and over and over tells me it’s deliberate and not accidental.   That says you have an agenda. 

Quenton Nelson

Theoretically, Quenton Nelson is still the best lineman in this group, but he is now under pressure to reverse a steep decline in his play. After three elite seasons to start his career, he has had back-to-back seasons with a PFF grade below 70.0 overall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Quenton Nelson

Theoretically, Quenton Nelson is still the best lineman in this group, but he is now under pressure to reverse a steep decline in his play. After three elite seasons to start his career, he has had back-to-back seasons with a PFF grade below 70.0 overall.

Id like to see you play at an all pro nfl level with a broken foot and high ankle sprain.

Big Q most definitely gets the benefit of the doubt here.  And if his play has declined, its because he hasn't / won't fully recover from that injury... not because he's lost it or is bad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Quenton Nelson

What’s your point?    That’s not in dispute.  

His falloff in his PFF grade is well documented.   But you repeatedly leave out the part that explains why.   And when that’s pointed out to you,  you ignore it.   And when the subject comes up again, you make the exact same argument which lacks context.   You’d have fans believe there is no explanation for why Nelson’s play us nit the same as it once was.   

Wash.   Rinse.   Repeat.    

Even in this exchange, you didn’t point out the injuries, even when it’s pointed out to you. 

OK….    Your call.   Good luck with this.  

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s your point?    That’s not in dispute.  

His falloff in his PFF grade is well documented.   But you repeatedly leave out the part that explains why.   And when that’s pointed out to you,  you ignore it.   And when the subject comes up again, you make the exact same argument which lacks context.   You’d have fans believe there is no explanation for why Nelson’s play us nit the same as it once was.   

Wash.   Rinse.   Repeat.    

Even in this exchange, you didn’t point out the injuries, even when it’s pointed out to you. 

OK….    Your call.   Good luck with this.  

exactly injuries and that is why we should have never resigned him when Ballard did.

14 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Id like to see you play at an all pro nfl level with a broken foot and high ankle sprain.

Big Q most definitely gets the benefit of the doubt here.  And if his play has declined, its because he hasn't / won't fully recover from that injury... not because he's lost it or is bad. 

Broken foot and high ankle sprain?   The excuse makers were citing a bad back or something.

I don't believe that Q was listed on the injury report more than one or two games all season.  When he played, he was healthy, unless you're saying that both he and the Colts lied about him not being injured when he was.

Q didn't mention injuries.  He said that is fall off was due to his "approach" being less than it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Broken foot and high ankle sprain?   The excuse makers were citing a bad back or something.

I don't believe that Q was listed on the injury report more than one or two games all season.  When he played, he was healthy, unless you're saying that both he and the Colts lied about him not being injured when he was.

Q didn't mention injuries.  He said that is fall off was due to his "approach" being less than it should be.

The broken foot and high ankle sprain were in 2021,  NOT 2022.    

Q’s grade has been roughly the same for the past two years.   About 69.    Last year was a nightmare for everyone.   Ballard’s official comment was that Raimann and Pinter/Fries brought down the performance of the three veterans.   

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The broken foot and high ankle sprain were in 2021,  NOT 2022.    

Q’s grade has been roughly the same for the past two years.   About 69.    Last year was a nightmare for everyone.   Ballard’s official comment was that Raimann and Pinter/Fries brought down the performance of the three veterans.   

I don't recall Nelson being on the weekly injury report nursing injuries in 2021.  I think the excuse makers assumed that was the case because he was on the report early in the season, but it was not supported by the official injury report throughout most of the 2021 season, IIRC.   He was out with a broken foot early, but so was Smith (I think it was a foot?).  Smith was able to put it together in 2021 and then again in 2022 despite being next to bad RG play in 2022.  

If Nelson says the fall off was due to his approach, I believe him since he was not on the injury report very much,.

Nelson didn't blame injuries, Ballard didn't blame injuries (he blames rookies?), and not much activity on the injury report.   But people still want to ignore the evidence from the player, from the GM, and from the documents, that it wasn't injuries, I assume to be able to still assert that he deserved to be the 6th pick in the draft. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't recall Nelson being on the weekly injury report nursing injuries in 2021.  I think the excuse makers assumed that was the case because he was on the report early in the season, but it was not supported by the official injury report throughout most of the 2021 season, IIRC.   He was out with a broken foot early, but so was Smith (I think it was a foot?).  Smith was able to put it together in 2021 and then again in 2022 despite being next to bad RG play in 2022.  

If Nelson says the fall off was due to his approach, I believe him since he was not on the injury report very much,.

Nelson didn't blame injuries, Ballard didn't blame injuries (he blames rookies?), and not much activity on the injury report.   But people still want to ignore the evidence from the player, from the GM, and from the documents, that it wasn't injuries, I assume to be able to still assert that he deserved to be the 6th pick in the draft. 

That Nelson deserved to be the 6th pick in the draft was proven a long time ago.  There are only a small number of non-believers left.   Three historically great years.    

Interesting that you write positive things about Smith.   He’s now one of the more unpopular players with members of our community.  Many here want Smith moved inside to RG even though he’s still one of the top tackles in the game.   

One correction from me about 21….   Nelson missed four games, not five.   I just double checked and wanted to clarify.   Also, FWIW, Smith’s foot injury in 21,  (different from Nelson) forced him to miss 6 games.   

On 6/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, DougDew said:

Thats what I heard.  In 2022 he had a bad back which contributed to his falloff in play.

Maybe he took it upon himself to "tough it out" and play with a bad back which is why he wasn't on many injury reports.

But folks should know a bad back is tough to come back from especially if its some form of a herniated disk.  And its not going to be easy to recover from if you have a 330 lb DL pushing you back every play in every game.

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Thats what I heard.  In 2022 he had a bad back which contributed to his falloff in play.

Maybe he took it upon himself to "tough it out" and play with a bad back which is why he wasn't on many injury reports.

But folks should know a bad back is tough to come back from especially if its some form of a herniated disk.  And its not going to be easy to recover from if you have a 330 lb DL pushing you back every play in every game.

I get that he had some sort of back surgery.  And yes, its difficult to be 100% if the back is nagging.

But when neither the player or the GM says anything, and the practice report does not seem to say DNP -back soreness...rest, I don't know why folks would assume that his back injuries lingered into the season.  Nothing credible points to it other than what folks want to assume.

Again, when the player says, "I need to change my approach", why go through the mental gymnastics to tell yourself there is another reason?