Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnathon Taylor Contract

King Colt

If he was a QB everything would be different.  Unfortunately for RBs you're not gonna get paid early, though among the RBs if there's a guy or a small group who deserve being paid early Taylor is among them.

The supply and demand simply ruin it for these guys.  This is a position teams routinely fill well into each draft.  So if we do sign him it will need to be a team-friendly type deal and if not then I'll wish him the best in FA.  Great kid though, and hopefully when the window comes something gets done both sides can be happy with.

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

If he was a QB everything would be different.  Unfortunately for RBs you're not gonna get paid early, though among the RBs if there's a guy or a small group who deserve being paid early Taylor is among them.

The supply and demand simply ruin it for these guys.  This is a position teams routinely fill well into each draft.  So if we do sign him it will need to be a team-friendly type deal and if not then I'll wish him the best in FA.  Great kid though, and hopefully when the window comes something gets done both sides can be happy with.

Let him play out his contract and then tag him if he doesnt want to sign a team friendly deal, the tag is low for RBs and you don't lock yourself into big money at a plug and play position.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Franchise tag him if anything. He is an elite runner but to pay a running back, he needs to be a weapon and a complete back. He cannot pass block and a so so receiver. Of course I can trust Ballard to sign him and give him a huge contract. lol.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doesn't need an extension to stay focused.  Seems like he wants to keep his options open for signing with another team.

If the two sides can’t come to terms before, during or after the season, then the Colts will simply put the tag on Taylor.   

The Colts are NOT letting JT walk out the door for free.   Taylor will likely be a Colt for 2-3 more years, maybe more. 

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Franchise tag him if anything. He is an elite runner but to pay a running back, he needs to be a weapon and a complete back. He cannot pass block and a so so receiver. Of course I can trust Ballard to sign him and give him a huge contract. lol.

oh look!   Another Ballard draft pick that you disapprove of.   Another second contract you disapprove of.   

When was the time you ever gave Ballard a first chance, much less a second choice?   Lol!    

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the two sides can’t come to terms before, during or after the season, then the Colts will simply put the tag on Taylor.   

The Colts are NOT letting JT walk out the door for free.   Taylor will likely be a Colt for 2-3 more years, maybe more. 

Look what Phiilly did with Saunders and Ekler for San Diego. They understand the value of the position. I would be fine with tagging him for another year and supporting the rookie qb for 2 years then letting him walk.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Look what Phiilly did with Saunders and Ekler for San Diego. They understand the value of the position. I would be fine with tagging him for another year and supporting the rookie qb for 2 years then letting him walk.

At some point, that may happen.   Maybe. 

But the Colts are a long way from that point. 

As for Philly…. They need to shed payroll.   The just signed Hurts to 5/255.   That’s $51 mill per year.  The Colts don’t have that issue yet and won’t for a few more years. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

oh look!   Another Ballard draft pick that you disapprove of.   Another second contract you disapprove of.   

When was the time you ever gave Ballard a first chance, much less a second choice?   Lol!    

I don't disapprove of the pick. I say let him play out the year and don't give him a contract and then tag him. If he shows he is a complete back then maybe sign him to  contract after the season. 

That's 2 more years with the Colts guaranteed. History has taught me one thing about rb contracts. 2nd contracts don't usually go well and I can only think of Henry where the Titans got value on the 2nd contract.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

At some point, that may happen.   Maybe. 

But the Colts are a long way from that point. 

As for Philly…. They need to shed payroll.   The just signed Hurts to 5/255.   That’s $51 mill per year.  The Colts don’t have that issue yet and won’t for a few more years. 

If we let Edge walk, we will let JT walk. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

They did put Edge on a franchise tag for a year and they did extend Addai after Edge. With that said I am not sure how much you can draw from that because that was Polian and this is Ballard.  They are completely different GMs.  Irsay is going to sign off on what Ballard wants to do just like he did with Polian.  

Not saying that means they will extend him just that we don’t know what they will do right now.  Honestly if I had to bet I’d bet on the franchise tag option for a year or two.

For what it’s worth….   

After JT’s 1800 yard second season,  Spotrac and PFF projected he might get 4/64.   $16m per.   

But after his injury plagued year last season, his latest projection is closer to 3/40.   $13.3m per.   

It should be interesting to see how that plays out.    But with so many top RB’s getting the franchise tag (roughly $10.8m) that wouldn’t surprise me though Ballard has yet to do that once I don’t believe.   

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we talking 3/33 I’m fine with that but nothing about 3/36 for a running back 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   

After JT’s 1800 yard second season,  Spotrac and PFF projected he might get 4/64.   $16m per.   

But after his injury plagued year last season, his latest projection is closer to 3/40.   $13.3m per.   

It should be interesting to see how that plays out.    But with so many top RB’s getting the franchise tag (roughly $10.8m) that wouldn’t surprise me though Ballard has yet to do that once I don’t believe.   

Ballard normally makes guys the highest at their positions with every contract for colts players 

33 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

If we talking 3/33 I’m fine with that but nothing about 3/36 for a running back 

Ballard normally makes guys the highest at their positions with every contract for colts players 

I think Ballard has only made Nelson and Leonard the highest paid at his position.   Maybe Moore?    But he didn’t with Kelly, or Smith or Buckner or Hines.  

If I’m wrong I’m sure I’ll get corrected soon enough.  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard has only made Nelson and Leonard the highest paid at his position.   Maybe Moore?    But he didn’t with Kelly, or Smith or Buckner or Hines.  

If I’m wrong I’m sure I’ll get corrected soon enough.  

Ok so Ballard made Moore highest paid slot at the time , Braden was the 2nd highest paid RT at the time of his deal , kelly was the highest paid center at the time of his deal Buckner was like number 2 behind Donald if I remember correct And Hines was top 10 at the time of signing his deal making over 6m a year. 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.  That could be the approach as time moves along.   We will see how Steichen views the RB position.

What I gather from the article is that there hasn't been much interest from the Colts at this point to try to secure him for the future, and JT isn't too worried about it because he figures he might be able to get more money elsewhere anyway...which could be a function of how Steichen uses him.  Why would he marry himself to the Colts at this point?

3 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Ok so Ballard made Moore highest paid slot at the time , Braden was the 2nd highest paid RT at the time of his deal , kelly was the highest paid center at the time of his deal Buckner was like number 2 behind Donald if I remember correct And Hines was top 10 at the time of signing his deal making over 6m a year. 

I don’t think Kelly was the highest paid center.   Not at 4/50.  This community always talked about him as as a top-5 paid center.    I also don’t think Smith was second at 4/70.   But I believe he was top-5.   Buckner was second or third.   

And for what it’s worth, Nelson is no longer the highest paid guard at 4/80.    The Falcons signed their guard to a 5/105 deal this off-season.   So Nelson being tops lasted one year. 

As for Hines, I think he was 12 or 13.   

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  That could be the approach as time moves along.   We will see how Steichen views the RB position.

What I gather from the article is that there hasn't been much interest from the Colts at this point to try to secure him for the future, and JT isn't too worried about it because he figures he might be able to get more money elsewhere anyway...which could be a function of how Steichen uses him.  Why would he marry himself to the Colts at this point?

I think Taylor is a team guy.    I think his first choice would be to stay a Colt.   I suspect there was simple basic preliminary talk.   And I’m sure the Colts submitted a lesser number than he wants in terms of dollars and years.  

Im sure the Colts said the offer might be sweeter a year from now if his 23 season is more like his 21 season.    It’ll probably be closer to his rookie year in 20, but still better than his 22 season last year.   

I think Taylor is mature.   He knows the Colts could tag him a year from now.   And I wouldn’t be surprised if we tagged JT in 24 and if need be, again in 25.   I think at THAT point, if he’s healthy, you might consider signing him to a multi-year deal, but on the shorter side.  

OR….    After tagging him once or twice, maybe THAT’S when you let him leave and walk out the door.   That’s when you spend his money elsewhere.  

Football is often unfair,  and what happens with JT could be a prime example of that.

Jonathan Taylor is putting his maturity on display.  He understands the NFL business.

Chris Ballard also understands the NFL business.  The Colts have made it a priority - under Ballard - to get extensions done between the draft and training camp.

Everyone keeps blasting Ballard for sitting on salary cap $$ - but - I have a feeling that he has a plan we know nothing about.

Patience Colts fans!!

I guess it mainly depends on how Steichen plans to use JT and if he thinks similar production can be had by another cheap back. I’ve been very upfront I think the Colts should trade JT if they could get a deal close to what RunCMC went for. JT is a great back but signing him to a huge contract is not what I would prefer.  If he does get extended it wouldn’t be a bad thing and he would help this team. Kind of a win win either way for the Colts

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Kelly was the highest paid center.   Not at 4/50.  This community always talked about him as as a top-5 paid center.    I also don’t think Smith was second at 4/70.   But I believe he was top-5.   Buckner was second or third.   

And for what it’s worth, Nelson is no longer the highest paid guard at 4/80.    The Falcons signed their guard to a 5/105 deal this off-season.   So Nelson being tops lasted one year. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/.amp/news/colts-ryan-kelly-nfl-highest-paid-center-50-million

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You are right Braden was number 3 not 2 land was making a little bit more and another RT was making 19.2m

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1436436946394484743?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1436436946394484743|twgr^ca3593ea937c1c9b298b549c3455340b9f2a0fde|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheeagleswire.usatoday.com%2Flists%2Feagles-miles-sanders-contract-nyheim-hines-impact-takeaways%2F

On 4/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, csmopar said:

Well Edge had a career altering injury, so we don't know that for sure.  But I sure hope we don't pay an RB a long term high salary.  That would be beyond stupid in today's NFL.   Back's were much more highly valued in EDGE's time than they are today.  

On 4/22/2023 at 9:44 PM, GoColts8818 said:

They did put Edge on a franchise tag for a year and they did extend Addai after Edge. With that said I am not sure how much you can draw from that because that was Polian and this is Ballard.  They are completely different GMs.  Irsay is going to sign off on what Ballard wants to do just like he did with Polian.  

Not saying that means they will extend him just that we don’t know what they will do right now.  Honestly if I had to bet I’d bet on the franchise tag option for a year or two.

EDGE and Addai were both A+ pass protectors and there is evidence that Peyton Manning was directly influential on drafting and keeping Addai. 

This is tough to say but I would let him go after next season.

RB is a devalued position now in the NFL and you can find them anywhere.  You don't want to make the mistake of giving him a big Zeke Elliot 2nd contract.

That would be a mistake.  Colts would be giving a 100M to a often injured LB, 80M to a guard and now a 2nd big deal to JT a RB.

All 3 of those positions are now devalued in the NFL.

Also lets not forget that the Chiefs won a superbowl with 7th round Isaiah Pacheco who ran hard in the superbowl.

As another poster has said if Jamyr Gibbs is there, grab him and let JT go after this season.  RB's are a commodity now and Colts have to build in other areas.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

This is tough to say but I would let him go after next season.

RB is a devalued position now in the NFL and you can find them anywhere.  You don't want to make the mistake of giving him a big Zeke Elliot 2nd contract.

That would be a mistake.  Colts would be giving a 100M to a often injured LB, 80M to a guard and now a 2nd big deal to JT a RB.

All 3 of those positions are now devalued in the NFL.

Also lets not forget that the Chiefs won a superbowl with 7th round Isaiah Pacheco who ran hard in the superbowl.

As another poster has said if Jamyr Gibbs is there, grab him and let JT go after this season.  RB's are a commodity now and Colts have to build in other areas.

This is the only way I do it is 3/36 let the rookie QB lean on him while he is getting better and by 3 years should be good and we can let Taylor walk right before big contract comes for rookie 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:59 PM, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard doesn’t seem to understand positional value in today’s NFL so he’ll definitely overpay JT. 

How many key positions has Ballard filled over the years.  People talk about QB, but we are empty at just about every position we need to win.  CB, OT, DE    Too many holes to fill in one draft, we are going to stink for at least another year.

6 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

How many key positions has Ballard filled over the years.  People talk about QB, but we are empty at just about every position we need to win.  CB, OT, DE    Too many holes to fill in one draft, we are going to stink for at least another year.

Yep. And no WR1. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

NCF we are a bad team going in a seemingly bad direction. We've invested a ton in both lines and neither one is outstanding and the Oline is bad. 

You should probably face the reality that much of what a few of the posters on here have been carping about has and is coming to pass.  We are on the brink of years of disappointment.  We don't hit at QB, it's going to be a while and at least one regime change away Plus a year or two before we get better.

You should probably concede a little more than your angry little self does.  Ballard hasn't appeared to have done a very good job here with the talent and we have some godawful contracts. 

For me personally, I would have liked to have had a better outlook these last few years, but I don't own a pair of rose colored glasses.  

Hopefully, this draft turns it around. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

NCF we are a bad team going in a seemingly bad direction. We've invested a ton in both lines and neither one is outstanding and the Oline is bad. 

You should probably face the reality that much of what a few of the posters on here have been carping about has and is coming to pass.  We are on the brink of years of disappointment.  We don't hit at QB, it's going to be a while and at least one regime change away Plus a year or two before we get better.

You should probably concede a little more than your angry little self does.  Ballard hasn't appeared to have done a very good job here with the talent and we have some godawful contracts. 

For me personally, I would have liked to have had a better outlook these last few years, but I don't own a pair of rose colored glasses.  

Hopefully, this draft turns it around. 

I was going to ask you a question,  but decided not to give @nfl fan more work as a moderator.    So I’ll send you a private message.    We’ll see how you do with that.  

Archived