Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard presser from owners meetings

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Couldn't pull the trigger.  What does that mean?  "If I had bigger *, I would have accepted the offers"?

I think he is hoping they can return to form. Maybe Bradley adjusts his defense some to take advantage of Moores strengths. Kelly maybe with a new Oline coach and HC can return to form. I don’t mind this actually. They are proven players who had bad years when everything went bad.

Lol Ballard. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So basically Ballard ruled nothing out but reiterated due  diligence lol

Yeah he gave a general GM speech answer which is what I expected.  The only news worthy thing from his presser is that Kelly and Moore will be here in 2023.

I thought all along they would keep Kelly and Moore. IMHO I think Colts keep 4th but trade down a few times add more picks and take Hooker around end 1st 20-30. He is what Steichen wants in a qb and very well thought of by all draft personnel and maybe end up best of the bunch . We could really fill holes with all extra draft picks thru trades . Stroud and young will start early and Hooker will soon as fully healed up. I think Doyel is right in the piece he wrote in the Star. Just a hunch and for record I'd be OK with that plan. I trust what they do regardless and support any decision that finally make. Ty Go Colts!

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well this is very telling about how colts feel about quarterbacks in the draft. They didn’t feel a big separation with the quarterbacks.

Translation they don’t see a big enough difference between the QB who goes number one and the one they will get at 4 to justify the price. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Translation they don’t see a big enough difference between the QB who goes number one and the one they will get at 4 to justify the price. 

Yep. I am actually shocked Ballard put it that clearly. Which probably means he is fine with all 4. We will find out if they think if they feel they need Levis or Richardson if they move to 3 or stay at 4. Ballard didn’t rule out moving to 3. But they also need to have intel to know if there is a serious threat to move to 3 once they decide that.

IF the Colts know they can swing a deal for Lamar AFTER the draft, I hope the Colts move to 3rd and draft Anderson.

Giving up two firsts for 24' and 25' for Lamar is doable IMO if they agree on price.  If Lamar is serious about not signing the tag and sitting out a year the Colts may be able to get him for less than two #1s. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Will post video later 

Ugh

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard said he would not discuss where they are at talking about Lamar. They could of already decided and didn’t feel like making the team look bad for not trying.

Yep. Though waiting until after the draft could prove advantageous… that said I still don’t want lamar

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think it’s a bad move to see if a new Oline and HC can get him close to back to where he was.

It looks like Kelly has lost a lot of mobility.  That's not easily remedied by coaching or scheme.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That's not exactly what I got from it, but my interpretation is probably colored by my own perspective. 

What I got was this: 1) We had not quite finished our QB evaluations, and were not ready to commit significant resources to moving up; 2) From what we knew about the QBs so far, we weren't convinced that any of them are good enough to give up the additional draft resources/players; 3) We're probably okay if we don't get the consensus #1 guy this year.

This might be a minor difference in interpretation, but I read your comment to mean that they'd probably be fine drafting any of the top 4 guys, and I think that's probably not the case. More likely, I think they just feel no pressure to force it with any of these prospects. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's not exactly what I got from it, but my interpretation is probably colored by my own perspective. 

What I got was this: 1) We had not quite finished our QB evaluations, and were not ready to commit significant resources to moving up; 2) From what we knew about the QBs so far, we weren't convinced that any of them are good enough to give up the additional draft resources/players; 3) We're probably okay if we don't get the consensus #1 guy this year.

This might be a minor difference in interpretation, but I read your comment to mean that they'd probably be fine drafting any of the top 4 guys, and I think that's probably not the case. More likely, I think they just feel no pressure to force it with any of these prospects. 

There is no reasons to decide now.  What they need to do is to be notified by AZ if another team wants to move up, then maybe the urgency is created.

Its doubtful that teams that have Goff, Garapollo, or Ridder, now want to use the capital move up to get a QB with some question marks.  They can find other QBs with question marks later in the draft.

I think the wild card team is TEN, who appears done with Tannehill and probably not thrilled with Willis.

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

Your right with some of this.  But then goes on to say they will be ok because they like the depth. Meaning QB depth. They have been evaluating these guys for almost two years. I am sure if they felt one was one they had to have and couldn’t get that guy at four they would of moved up. Ballard clearly feels that these QB are close enough he didn’t need too. All these guys are so different that’s why there isn’t a consensus one. But I think you are saying pretty much the same thing. He is ok not getting that 1st pick because he likes the depth at QB

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with all of your interpretations except #1.

They’ve watched every piece of tape that’s out there on each of those guys, probably from their 6th grade team on.  

They’ve talked to all of their coaches and had investigators looking into their backgrounds.  

They know pro days are meaningless, so they’re a formality.   

I believe at this point they’re just trying to reassure themselves on their pick. And thinking about contingencies if something odd happens.  Like Carolina taking Richardson or Levis ( .01% chance).

Of course, they’re not going to tip their hand, nor should they.  

Everybody talks about the top 4, but there's some more guys out there — pretty good players," Ballard said. "And I think history has shown here, especially in the last few years with Jalen (Hurts) being one, Brock Purdy coming in and playing really well. They come in every level. We'll do our work on every one of them and at the end of the day we'll try to get one that we like and fits us and we think we can win with."

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree with all of your interpretations except #1.

They’ve watched every piece of tape that’s out there on each of those guys, probably from their 6th grade team on.  

They’ve talked to all of their coaches and had investigators looking into their backgrounds.  

They know pro days are meaningless, so they’re a formality.   

I believe at this point they’re just trying to reassure themselves on their pick. And thinking about contingencies if something odd happens.  Like Carolina taking Richardson or Levis ( .01% chance).

Of course, they’re not going to tip their hand, nor should they.  

At this point they are just trying to confirm their decision. But Steichen does throw a wrench into this because he is a new HC and hasn’t been here. So he also needs to evaluate these guys.

47 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Wow. I think we’re in play for Lamar Jackson 

I’m starting to think that as well. I don’t want it to happen but the Colts don’t seem interested in the top qbs coming out of this draft. Either that or we are just going to take the bpa and roll with Minshew.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I'm actually surprised by how candid this response was from Ballard. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Everybody talks about the top 4, but there's some more guys out there — pretty good players," Ballard said. "And I think history has shown here, especially in the last few years with Jalen (Hurts) being one, Brock Purdy coming in and playing really well. They come in every level. We'll do our work on every one of them and at the end of the day we'll try to get one that we like and fits us and we think we can win with."

Maybe we will end up drafting Jaren Hall…

I don’t like the comment about CB saying they like Flowers and Rodgers. How many times in his regime has rolling with unproven in-house players worked out? I didn’t work out this past season at RG, it continuously hasn’t worked at WR, and it hasn’t worked at DE. Smart money tells me Ballard isn’t naive enough to really think you can roll into the season with Rodgers, Flowers, and Moore as your projected starters, and we will definitely draft someone, but who knows.

Im really hoping he is serious about change and doesn’t do his usual strategy of trading down and spending high capital on developmental and non-premium position players.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t like the comment about CB saying they like Flowers and Rodgers. How many times in his regime has rolling with unproven in-house players worked out? I didn’t work out this past season at RG, it continuously hasn’t worked at WR, and it hasn’t worked at DE. Smart money tells me Ballard isn’t naive enough to really think you can roll into the season with Rodgers, Flowers, and Moore as your projected starters, and we will definitely draft someone, but who knows.

Im really hoping he is serious about change and doesn’t do his usual strategy of trading down and spending high capital on developmental and non-premium position players.

I wouldn’t stress. This draft is loaded at CB.I expect one still before the draft too.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wouldn’t stress. This draft is loaded at CB.I expect one still before the draft too.

I do too but you know Ballard. There can be a screaming need on this team and he’ll roll with the in-house guy. I was actually shocked when he drafted Pierce last year since wide out was a huge need. You just never know with Ballard sometimes.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully Ballard knows thats nonsense ... history has definitely not shown that later drafted QBs hit frequently ... a couple of outliers, with Purdy being on a team that can make even mediocre QBs look good.  We either need to be drafting a QB high 1st this year or rolling any resource possible into high draft picks to get a QB next year. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. I am actually shocked Ballard put it that clearly. Which probably means he is fine with all 4. We will find out if they think if they feel they need Levis or Richardson if they move to 3 or stay at 4. Ballard didn’t rule out moving to 3. But they also need to have intel to know if there is a serious threat to move to 3 once they decide that.

I hope they have good sources. Because if I were Arizona, what would stop me from pulling the old used car salesman approach and simply lie that someone is interested in pick 3 and that we better jump on it now. 

Archived