Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi on Qbs, Colts and Jackson

Moosejawcolt

14 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

just a dream that bargain bin ballard would sign him

It’s still cute that you continue to think that a decision that big would be made by BBB. 

Bargain.   Basement.    Ballard.   

A decision that big would have huge input by Irsay and Steichen.   It would be all three, not just BBB. 

The HATE remains strong with you….

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I listened to the most recent  GM Shuffle Podcast titled  "NFL teams attend pro days for top QBs, & should the Colts go after Lamar Jackson?" I thought it was a really good listen.  

But you decided not to tell us what happened?

53 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

just a dream that bargain bin ballard would sign him

Since you claim to be an Old Fan I presume you've been a fan for the 40 years they've been in Indy and I'm wondering if you can name one big, highly sought after, in their prime free agent that any of the 6 or 7 GM's we've had have signed?

That's correct. The answer is Zero.

Why?

Because Indy is nicknamed "Naptown" for a reason.

Indy is not a destination that attracts players that want to promote their brand, or want to play prime time games every week of every year of their careers......

Say what you want about Ballard, but unless the Colts overpay by millions then we are not landing those types of players. 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is 100% correct.  Lamar is our best chance at relevancy again and another Super Bowl.  First Peyton falls into our laps then Andrew.  Now this unexpected opportunity.  I can not believe the team is not exploring this option.  Finally an opportunity to get a difference maker back at quarterback.  We shall see.

22 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Since you claim to be an Old Fan I presume you've been a fan for the 40 years they've been in Indy and I'm wondering if you can name one big, highly sought after, in their prime free agent that any of the 6 or 7 GM's we've had have signed?

Why?

Indy is not a destination that attracts players that want to promote their brand, or want to play prime time games every week of every year of their careers......

Say what you want about Ballard, but unless the Colts overpay by millions then we are not landing those types of players. 

Chad Bratzke and Adam Vinatieri are probably the biggest 2.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He is 100% correct.  Lamar is our best chance at relevancy again and another Super Bowl.  First Peyton falls into our laps then Andrew.  Now this unexpected opportunity.  I can not believe the team is not exploring this option.  Finally an opportunity to get a difference maker back at quarterback.  We shall see.

Why should the Colts put the effort it when the Ravens will match any offers?

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Ballard is too smart to deal with this guy but I think he would talk to Lamar.  Laremy Tunsil just negotiated his own record contract without an agent.  Roquan Smith previously did it as well.  It’s not unprecedented.  So anything is possible if the two parties put their minds to it.

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sounds great except for the $$ needed are way more than a healthy, younger Manning and Luck received therefore affording the Colts the ability to build a team around them. Lamar is demanding much more guaranteed money and has missed 25% of the games the past 2 seasons due to his style of play.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is not a 100% certainty they will.  After two years it looks like there is a bar they will not cross otherwise he would have been signed by now.  That’s what it looks like.  And they have failed to reach a middle ground after all of this time.  My guess is another team will get it done.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol someone is lying. Lamar is starting to look really bad.

This could be nothing but semantics.  Lamar is denying he was negotiating.  I bet he was making some calls seeing if there was any interest though.  That’s what makes the most sense.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

There is not a 100% certainty they will.  After two years it looks like there is a bar they will not cross otherwise he would have been signed by now.  That’s what it looks like.  And they have failed to reach a middle ground after all of this time.  My guess is another team will get it done.

You may be correct but why would the Colts pay any QB the biggest contract in history when Jackson hasn't been the best QB in history? He hasn't earned that merit. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may be correct but why would the Colts pay any QB the biggest contract in history when Jackson hasn't been the best QB in history? He hasn't earned that merit. 

I am not expecting him to get the biggest contract in history.  I just don’t think that’s going to happen.  I don’t believe everything I read especially during the lying season.     Watson didn’t earn his contract either but it happened.  So there is no way to predict what a team will do.  I’m just hoping we give it a shot and see where it goes.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Chad Bratzke and Adam Vinatieri are probably the biggest 2.

Obviously we got 14 years out of Vinatieri, not sure Bratzke had a bidding war for but he was solid for us. But if we’re only counting two in 40 years that kinda supports the issue of the Colts not being a chosen destination……

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The most in history on a QB who has yet to play a full season without injury.  only played 12/17 last year and 12/16 the year before.  

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Obviously we got 14 years out of Vinatieri, not sure Bratzke had a bidding war for but he was solid for us. But if we’re only counting two in 40 years that kinda supports the issue of the Colts not being a chosen destination……

NFL free agency is almost 100% about the $$$. Specifically the guaranteed money for big name free agents. Guaranteed $$ has to be put into escrow…so big $$ is not exactly easy for small market teams to come up with to put into escrow. That’s why teams like Indy, GB and teams with owners that aren’t flush with cash like the Raiders etc have to be very very careful with those types of contracts. Most often those funds are set aside for signing their own franchise players then going out and trying to sign big time free agents to long term big money contracts. It’s more than just fitting it into the cap or convincing guys to come to Indy…it’s about finances and roster building. 

It’s why you see some of the worst teams in the nfl still convince free agents to sign there. Teams like the Jets that have sucked forever…if the money is right guys will sign. Also those teams typically draft poorly and don’t have many of their own guys to try to re-sign to major contracts so they can afford to blow it out in free agency. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Look at the AFC with regards to qbs. It's a gauntlet. Do u think any of these young guns will get us there? I am on record as saying this is not a good draft.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NFL free agency is almost 100% about the $$$. Specifically the guaranteed money for big name free agents. Guaranteed $$ has to be put into escrow…so big $$ is not exactly easy for small market teams to come up with to put into escrow. That’s why teams like Indy, GB and teams with owners that aren’t flush with cash like the Raiders etc have to be very very careful with those types of contracts. Most often those funds are set aside for signing their own franchise players then going out and trying to sign big time free agents to long term big money contracts. It’s more than just fitting it into the cap or convincing guys to come to Indy…it’s about finances and roster building. 

It’s why you see some of the worst teams in the nfl still convince free agents to sign there. Teams like the Jets that have sucked forever…if the money is right guys will sign. Also those teams typically draft poorly and don’t have many of their own guys to try to re-sign to major contracts so they can afford to blow it out in free agency. 

Being in New York is a draw for many free agents.  

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Why?

A survey of NFL agents actually showed Indy as getting votes for being one of the places where players want to play. The agents said though that the team offering the most money is more important to players than location.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/03/12/best-worst-destinations-free-agents-dallas-atlanta-buffalo-cleveland-detroit-oakland

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ravens aren't going to match any offer.  They'll let you have him with a stupid offer and take the compensation.  And laugh very hard.

Right now they are hoping some team signs him so they can have said picks and be done with this particular headache.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

There are a lot of draws…lots of factors…but the largest factor for the largest number of people is $$. There will be exceptions to the rule but I think we are kidding ourselves if we think these guys are putting nightclubs and entertainment venues above the almighty $$.

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Ravens aren't going to match any offer.  They'll let you have him with a stupid offer and take the compensation.  And laugh very hard.

Right now they are hoping some team signs him so they can have said picks and be done with this particular headache.

You might be right but personally I don't think the Colts want to make Jackson the highest paid QB in the league.  Nor should they. He hasn't earned it. 

3 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

A survey of NFL agents actually showed Indy as getting votes for being one of the places where players want to play. The agents said though that the team offering the most money is more important to players than location.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/03/12/best-worst-destinations-free-agents-dallas-atlanta-buffalo-cleveland-detroit-oakland

Short time to earn the most money they can…I would say outside or QBs whose legacy is exclusively tied to winning and losing and SBs the majority of players will value money over anything else…At least up to the point they have made enough and are older on the back end of their career.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

You might be right but personally I don't think the Colts want to make Jackson the highest paid QB in the league.  Nor should they. He hasn't earned it. 

I would hope not.  What worries me is to what extent Irsay's driving this particular bus.

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

It wouldn't be for me (too crowded) and I have a ton of reasons why but I won't go into it here. I would rather play in a small market, make my money, no politics involved, and be a hero with winning 1 or 2 championships for a small market. A house like my Mom has would cost someone 3 million dollars in NY, here it is worth 700,000 as of now.

angry homer simpson GIF

- Homer in NY, says cab out of town pointing like Reggie saying get me back to Indiana lmao 

Archived