Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

Peytonparker

I don't think I've seen any explosiveness ever from Hughes. I mean since TCU tape. I think he is lost out there, physically and mentally. I would say it's pretty obvious a 3-4 is his only chance - I mean, it's clear he can't play 4-3 DE at a NFL level. So yeah, if we're ever going to see anything, you're right, now is the time. But he still has to out-perform Freeney and Mathis, not to mention any OLB who likely will have a substantial advantage in technique and familiarity.

I want to see Hughes have success as much as the next guy, didn't hate the pick when it was made, but has anyone seen anything from him that leads you to believe he will suddenly turn on the light switch? I haven't.

This is his only shot. Jerry Hughes was drafted for depth after the SB injury of Freeney.

He hasn't had much opportunity, but he has done little with the few chances he has had. He also was in position to possibly stop that long return in the 2010 season P.O. game vs. the Jets.

Looking back at that draft, we really needed to go BPA.

At the time it would have seemed dumb to draft Gronk, but look what that would have done now. We would have flipped out then of course, but hindsight is 20/20.

I woke up at 9 AM and watch every single second of Jerry Hughes' NFL film....at 9:05, I needed to find something else to do because I was done.

Seriously though, this is his make or break year. He was projected as a 3-4 OLB coming out of college and we took him anyway. Now he is in a 3-4 with a new coaching staff and a new chance. If he doesn't show up and make plays this year, I don't think he will be on the team next year.

Hughes played this defense when he was at TCU and he was a beast standing up rushing the passer

Right - and led the nation in sacks as I recall. Or was close. Regardless, has there been one moment Hughes has shown that level of explosiveness, speed, ability, technique, or anything else on a physical level in the NFL? He did beat up Mountain West OL. He hasn't remotely done that to any NFL lineman. I hope you're right, since I have huge concerns with Freeney and Mathis at OLB, but the few times he has been on the field haven't shown me anything to indicate he can play at all at this level.

I woke up at 9 AM and watch every single second of Jerry Hughes' NFL film....at 9:05, I needed to find something else to do because I was done.

Seriously though, this is his make or break year. He was projected as a 3-4 OLB coming out of college and we took him anyway. Now he is in a 3-4 with a new coaching staff and a new chance. If he doesn't show up and make plays this year, I don't think he will be on the team next year.

I totally agree,but IMO I'd rarher use Hughes at 3-4 then Freeney atleast Hughes has some experience.Freeney is just a waste this year there is no way he can provide enough production to warrant another 14 mill against the cap.Freeney will be traded IDC what has been said hes going going going gone.

I really hope Freeney is a draft day trade.We could sign FAs and get alot more needs filled.I mean why 14 mill more as a gamble when we can use Jerry as an experiment?Would anyone here put 14 mill on black at a table in Vegas for 1 spin?Just cannot see 14 million more in production value from Freeney.Been saying he wont be a Colt for awhile but too many people put stock in Pags words that he would be a Colt.Its just business and Freeney is a bad business decision this year.

Hughes played this defense when he was at TCU and he was a beast standing up rushing the passer

I got corrected on this when I first got on here. Jerry Hughes was solely a DE at TCU. He was PROJECTED as an OLB by the 'experts.' I am sure one of our video gurus have the film on Hughes with hand down.

I think Chuck Pagano is the only thing Hughes needs for motivation. He will make him feel like family. As previously stated, this is Hughes LAST shot.

Nothing is proven with Hughes, he could have been a great 4-3 DE for the colts but he just never got the opportunity but I would not be surprised if he had the better season out of Mathis or freeney for the simple fact that he's still young, strong and explosive. Good to hear he got the start at mini camp... that shows he's getting chances

I think this is going to fall on deaf ears, but here goes nothin...

I've been watching the games from last year, again. As the season wore on, Jerry Hughes actually got a lot of reps. As we've all said, he's not strong enough to be an every down end, especially on running downs. When the play goes his way, he gets washed out by any kind of focused blocking his way. He pursues very well on plays going the other way. He can chase ball carriers down against the sideline, but struggles in the open field. Very fluid when turning and running. High motor. Plays a little high when edge rushing, and if he could stay lower he'd simply be able to go around most offensive tackles because of his quickness.

He's a very athletic player who just isn't big/strong enough to play end in the NFL every down. There's definitely a role for him in a hybrid system. He needs to hone his pass rushing skills, primarily with regard to his pad level and shoulder dip.

Still not a good pick in the first round, especially for a 4-3 team with two elite pass rushers ahead of him, but I get the feeling that if he had gone to the Ravens or the Chargers, he'd look like a very competent outside linebacker already. The tools are there. More coaching and more improvement on his part, and he should be just fine.

I think this is going to fall on deaf ears, but here goes nothin...

I've been watching the games from last year, again. As the season wore on, Jerry Hughes actually got a lot of reps. As we've all said, he's not strong enough to be an every down end, especially on running downs. When the play goes his way, he gets washed out by any kind of focused blocking his way. He pursues very well on plays going the other way. He can chase ball carriers down against the sideline, but struggles in the open field. Very fluid when turning and running. High motor. Plays a little high when edge rushing, and if he could stay lower he'd simply be able to go around most offensive tackles because of his quickness.

He's a very athletic player who just isn't big/strong enough to play end in the NFL every down. There's definitely a role for him in a hybrid system. He needs to hone his pass rushing skills, primarily with regard to his pad level and shoulder dip.

Still not a good pick in the first round, especially for a 4-3 team with two elite pass rushers ahead of him, but I get the feeling that if he had gone to the Ravens or the Chargers, he'd look like a very competent outside linebacker already. The tools are there. More coaching and more improvement on his part, and he should be just fine.

I totally agree Superman! He is way too 'straight up' when a blocker is zeroing in on him. He had some great plays (some poor one's too) on our not so special teams due to his athleticism!! I hope he succeeds with Pagano....

I totally agree,but IMO I'd rarher use Hughes at 3-4 then Freeney atleast Hughes has some experience.Freeney is just a waste this year there is no way he can provide enough production to warrant another 14 mill against the cap.Freeney will be traded IDC what has been said hes going going going gone.

Freeney could still restructure. And Pagano sees him as the Suggs type of player, so I think that's reason to be optimistic. People didn't think Mario Williams could do well in the 3-4, but he was playing well until he got injured.

I love Freeney, but I am hoping we can get a good pick for him....or a player. Pagano and Manusky will be able to tell his 'fit' in a 3/4 very quickly...time will tell.

I think the only way we trade Freeney is for a possible 4th or 5th rounder and another player. Kinda like what the Eagles are trying to do with Samuel. Freeney's contract is so big if we don't take on an almost equally bad contract/sign and trade then I don't see how anyone can afford him. It would give Hughes the opportunity to do something or be done with him.

I think the only way we trade Freeney is for a possible 4th or 5th rounder and another player. Kinda like what the Eagles are trying to do with Samuel. Freeney's contract is so big if we don't take on an almost equally bad contract/sign and trade then I don't see how anyone can afford him. It would give Hughes the opportunity to do something or be done with him.

We agree again!! We are on a roll. :) Call me stupid, but I want to see our men given every opportunity to succeed in a 4-3....3-4 disguising defense!! Drop em back...then bring Mathis, Hughes, Freeney in the A gaps and kick some serious QB butt.

I think a lot of Colts fans are forgetting Conner in the equation too. He was putting a 'hurtin' on some folks when Murphy took over for Larry Coyer...the 'Cover Nobody' destroyer.

Hughes was just projected to be a OLB because of his size, which is dumb. More and more smaller DEs are coming out of college.

Correct: He was projected correctly. As an undersized DE he was 'stood up' anytime he was on the field with a good blocking RT or RG. He gets his opportunity NOW! I am all for Hughes to turn some heads.

freeney should have been let go or traded, same with reggie wayne. they are on the downside of youth, speed, stamina and performance. you don't buy a new car with old tires on it.....

1) Run the ball.

2) Stop the run.

3) Win.

Thank all that is alive and kicking that you are not GM, coach or owner of any professional team in any sport.

Hughes was just projected to be a OLB because of his size, which is dumb. More and more smaller DEs are coming out of college.

That's not true. He was projected to an OLB because he doesn't have the pass rush skills 4-3 defensive ends need in the NFL, but he has the athleticism to beat offensive linemen straight up. It wasn't just about his size.