Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, krunk said:

It all depends on who Carolina picks. If they get Levis or Richardson then we can still get Stroud or Young. Ìm hoping Chris undestands what Frank is thinking here.

Here's to hoping. That also depends if no one trades for the 3rd pick with the Cardinals.

Ok, I'm going to throw another name out there ...

Clayton Tune, from Houston. 6'3, 220 lbs   RAS: 9.72!

Passed for 11,994 yds, 104 TDs and 41 ints, and rushed for 1248 yds and 15 TDs total for his career 

In 2022, it was 4,074 yds, 40 TDs and 10 Ints, while rushing for 554 yds and 5 TDs for a 67.3% completion rate!

He had a good combine, but was in the group with Richardson and Young, so no one was talking about him.

54 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

The overreaction is crazy in here.

Ballard has said it multiple time he likes being at 4. He can probably get the guy he wants without giving anything up. 

I can guarantee Ballard won't be taking any of the big 4 QBs with pick#4. Get ready for the Colts caracal of QBs to continue under his tenure. ( Which will thankfully end this year) 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Most Reich thing ever would be... 

Frank: Oh wow, Carson, you have the same bible verse on your phone? I love you!

Levis: ....

eueu30ptjula1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&v

I thought about this as well. Literally all of Franks QBs are usually bible thumpers.

1 minute ago, Dr. T said:

Passed for 11,994 yds, 104 TDs and 41 ints, and rushed for 1248 yds and 15 TDs total for his career 

In 2022, it was 4,074 yds, 40 TDs and 10 Ints, while rushing for 554 yds and 5 TDs for a 67.3% completion rate!

He had a good combine, but was in the group with Richardson and Young, so no one was talking about him.

I like Tune. Not real sure if he winds up in Indy but i like him.

3 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Here's to hoping. That also depends if no one trades for the 3rd pick with the Cardinals.

Sunshine as usual i see.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Why would 30 other GMs try and trade up for the no1 pick? That's just stupid. Even if Fitterer and Poles worked the deal without Ballard's knowledge, that means 1.) Ballard didn't put in an offer or 2.) The offer wasn't near good enough so Poles took the Panthers offer. 

If Ballard didn't have confidence to trade up for Young or Stroud, why should we have more confidence in Ballard than Fitterer at this point? Just asking so you don't turn this into a Colts forum Vs Ballard argument.

I'm thinking the conversation between Ballard and Poles went something like this:

Ballard:  What's your asking price to move up to the first pick?

Poles:  Two 1sts, two 2nds, and a player.

Ballard:  Thanks.  Bye.  *click*

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought about this as well. Literally all of Franks QBs are usually bible thumpers.

Stroud is the same. And with the way he threw at the combine, I'm betting the Panthers choose him.

But what do I know? I predicted in another thread a few days ago that the Bears would NEVER trade with the Panthers!! Whoops!!  :funny:

Levi’s could not beat out a guy named Clifford so instead of staying and fighting he transferred. If I’m taking a flyer on a QB at 3 or 4… I’m going for the guy with the most upside. With our line, mobility, arm talent and a 4.4… But if Anderson or Carter is there, pick the blue chip or trade out for 2-3 picks 2023 and 2024. 

12 hours ago, tvturner said:

All 3 of those are correct statements when it comes to Levis? It's not a lie that he's been hurt, played in pro offenses and has one of the best arms to come out in a while...

Your negatives to Levis are he's "cocky" and his box score is bad

Watch some film for once.

He couldn’t beat out a guy named Clifford 

9 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

This. To me Ballard has a flawed philosophy in today's nfl. He doesn't understand that the qb position IS the most important one for team's success and the SPECIAL ones give you a shot at that SB. Trenches, run game, solid defense and a serviceable qb sounds more like that Bears team that he was associated with in the EARLY 2000's that the Colts beat for a SB. It definitely doesn't match the Chiefs philosophy from where Ballard came from something a fact that JMV treaded lightly around in pointing out. To ME Ballard comes off as smug, stubborn and boarderline arrogant in his team build philosophy but is media savvy enough to sell snake oil as medicine. That would be fine with me IF he had a winning record, some division titles, regular playoff runs or the team was a SB threat after all these years BUT he has NONE of the above. The man is going into year SEVEN as a FIRST time gm. Let that sink in.

Ballard had no choice but to be humbled at the end of the season because whether you LIKE him or not his RESULTS have been at a bare minimum in SIX long years SOMETHING that he acknowledged himself and said that all the critism was warranted. If you get that special qb no one remembers what you gave up to get him. Carolina was moving up from the 9th position so they had to offer a haul. I think the Colts had some leverage at 4 IF they really wanted to make a move. I honestly never thought they would anyway because that's Ballard's MO. Deep down I was hoping I would see some change but I'm bracing for the same ol same ol.

This x 1000.

I've long thought that that mid-2000's Bears squad's construction is the foundation upon which CB's team building philosophy is built. 

He's seemingly stubbornly wedded to it and will either find a way to succeed with it

or take the ship down with it.

4 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I meant that as agreeing with you. I hope that scenario plays out but the Cards might trade out too. I do believe Levis reminds him of Wentz who Frank loves. Funny thing is that Wentz is actually out there with no strings attached so could Frank take AR15 to sit behind him?

10 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I think Ballard would be willing to trade to 3. Hes just against giving up the farm. Have some faith. You did this during the HC selection and lo and behold Ballard got who you wanted. So whys he inept now ? Let it play out.

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I meant that as agreeing with you. I hope that scenario plays out but the Cards might trade out too. I do believe Levis reminds him of Wentz who Frank loves. Funny thing is that Wentz is actually out there with no strings attached so could Frank take AR15 to sit behind him?

Maybe but i think with the capital they gave up Richardson would probably start. Assuming they get Richardson of course.

Moving up to No.3 does increase our options 

1. If Panthers don’t go with one of Stroud or Young, we get a shot at them

2. If we like only 1 of Levis or AR, and don’t have a chance at Stroud or Young, we have a shot at them 

3. Let us say it cost us a 2nd to move from No.4 to No.3, if the Lions want to get ahead of the others badly for Anderson, given our position at No.3, they may even offer No.6 and No.18 for the No.3 spot instead of a same Jets like move in 2018, giving up two 2nd rounders and a future 2nd. I’d take No.6 and No.18 gladly.

If that isn’t possible, getting No.48, No.55 and a future 2nd showing precedent isn’t that bad moving from No.3 to No.6 in the long scheme of things from the Lions.

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm thinking the conversation between Ballard and Poles went something like this:

Ballard:  What's your asking price to move up to the first pick?

Poles:  Two 1sts, two 2nds, and a player.

Ballard:   *click*

Fixed it 

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I can guarantee Ballard won't be taking any of the big 4 QBs with pick#4. Get ready for the Colts caracal of QBs to continue under his tenure. ( Which will thankfully end this year) 

I’ll bet you 20 bucks Ballard isn’t fired next year. 

12 minutes ago, indykmj said:

This x 1000.

I've long thought that that mid-2000's Bears squad's construction is the foundation upon which CB's team building philosophy is built. 

He's seemingly stubbornly wedded to it and will either find a way to succeed with it

or take the ship down with it.

That's no joke.  If you take a look at the 2006 Bears superbowl roster, you can see that they are strong on interior OL, interior DL, linebackers (esp. off ball linebacker), and RB.  Now take a look at the Ballard-designed Colts.  Strong in interior OL, interior DL, linebackers (esp. off ball linebacker), and RB.  Nearly identical.

Now, I don't know if that was by design, or if it's just the way things played out.  It's not like Ballard didn't draft other positions, too.  (WR, DE, and CB come to mind)  But you can't deny that the two teams are strikingly similar.  Except one went to the superbowl and one did not.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thats what ive been saying. They want Cam Newton 2.0. Frank thinks he can fix him. Hes enamoured with the tools. I started thinking more about it after they got rid of DJ Moore. Yes they can get another WR but why would you get rid of your #1 receiver if your offense is being built around a passing QB? Prlbably bc he knows the majority of their offense is going to be based on Run The Darn Ball and play action. And Richardson is the main piece. Carolina has had offenses like this under John Fox and similar stuff with Cam Newton. They can even have Cam stop buy and help with Richardsons development. Carolina can say to Frank "Hey this is what we did to help Cam improve. Why dont you do this?.

They got rid of Moore because going all the back to last year when McCaffery was traded it was said that Moore was on the block too. Right or wrong it didn't sit right with Moore and there has been friction in locker room ever since, that coupled with eventually having to pay Moore in the realm of Christian kirk or better, the Panthers threw him in the deal.

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

That's no joke.  If you take a look at the 2006 Bears superbowl roster, you can see that they are strong on interior OL, interior DL, linebackers (esp. off ball linebacker), and RB.  Now take a look at the Ballard-designed Colts.  Strong in interior OL, interior DL, linebackers (esp. off ball linebacker), and RB.  Nearly identical.

Now, I don't know if that was by design, or if it's just the way things played out.  It's not like Ballard didn't draft other positions, too.  (WR, DE, and CB come to mind)  But you can't deny that the two teams are strikingly similar.  Except one went to the superbowl and one did not.

It happened only after they got Devin Hester from the U for that oomph on special teams and a QB from Florida in Round 1 called Rex Grossman (a sign we get AR??)

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard has been on record saying the QB is just another player. Without a good QB we will never win jack. I have defended Ballard on here more than anyone with the exception of maybe newcoltsfan. So I don't want to hear I am trashing Ballard. We could have offered roughly the same deal to Carolina and Chicago would have even got our 4th, they got a 9th. I have my opinions, you have yours. I am tired of losing, maybe you aren't. Reasons why I haven't posted much all week because everytime someone has a difference of opinion, people jump down your throat in here.

I think many do not know how to express a difference of opinion without sounding like they are "jumping down your throat". Sometimes that is just how they communicate with everyone and it sounds angry and sometimes insulting. Just ignore it and move on. It is not personal. Really. It happens to every poster. 

Comments like, "Are you out of your mind?", "What planet are you on?", "What gave you that silly idea?" etc are extraneous comments that posters should refrain from adding to their comments but are not really that offensive. Ignore them.

So, getting back to business, did you want the Colts to trade up? I don't like the idea of trading up because if you get the wrong guy, it sets you back and you lose draft capital in moving up. The Colts will get a top player at 4.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

That's because this is now a qb driven league more than ever. Rule changes now cater to the offense to promote scoring and feature the passing game.

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Most Reich thing ever would be... 

Frank: Oh wow, Carson, you have the same bible verse on your phone? I love you!

Levis: ....

eueu30ptjula1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&v

He looks a little like Jeff George.

kqz1o5wdrhhdc1l2fjjf

indianapolis-colts-qb-jeff-george-april-

Jeff George could throw the ball as well as anyone. But he was not a winning player.

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thats what ive been saying. They want Cam Newton 2.0. Frank thinks he can fix him. Hes enamoured with the tools. I started thinking more about it after they got rid of DJ Moore. Yes they can get another WR but why would you get rid of your #1 receiver if your offense is being built around a passing QB? Prlbably bc he knows the majority of their offense is going to be based on Run The Darn Ball and play action. And Richardson is the main piece. Carolina has had offenses like this under John Fox and similar stuff with Cam Newton. They can even have Cam stop buy and help with Richardsons development. Carolina can say to Frank "Hey this is what we did to help Cam improve. Why dont you do this?.

Go to Frank Reich's introductory press-conference and listen to what he's saying about the type of QB he wants. At the time I thought he was describing Anthony Richardson: 

- "it's a passing league but you have to run the ball to be a championship team"

- "offensively what you want to do is create a conflict in the defender's mind - is it a run is it a pass? is it RPO Is it first level RPO? Is it second level RPO? Is it going deep? Starts with running the football ... And second thing is - you have to get the ball vertical down the field... "

Q: What type of QB do you prefer? A running style QB like Jalen Hurts(you mentioned the RPOs) or traditional drop back QB?

FR: We all know where this game is going, right? We all know the game is going more towards a movement style QB. I embrace that. I love that. I've worked with Carson Wentz and we've done a lot of good things with movement, RPOs, playaction. Same thing in Indy, we've had some drop back guys and some movement guys... Ultimately we can adapt to whatever... but where the game is going... and most of the guys coming into the league from college have more movement. That has some advantages - the defensive players will tell you - when that QB is there and he's a threat to run(you watch Jalen Hurts and the Eagles... which our offenses are very similar, because of our connections[with Steichen and Sirianni] and the QB is running a zone read and he's a threat to run ... it just puts the defense in conflict. Slows the backside down. We have a saying "frontside wins games, backside wins championships". Well if I got a QB who can run and he's making the defensive end or linebacker hold his water, this is gonna make my guys on the front side. It's going to make the guys on the OL have better leverage... but at some level even those guys have to win from the pocket. If we have one of those guys, we won't drop 50 times, but you gotta drop back 10 times. It's 3d and 10 and the game is on the line... you probably are playing from the pocket. We can develop that as well! You gotta understand who you're drafting, continue to develop them as a player... we can all get better. I can become better as a coach, they can become better as a player. But ultimately that's the challenge and that's the excitement of it. 

This is his direct answer to a question about what type of QB he prefers. He waxed poetic for 5 minutes on the advantages of having a QB who can run and then added you still have to develop his passing game. Tell me this doesn't encapsulate Richardson almost to a T. He said pretty much nothing about a traditional pocket passer that drops back and distributes the ball(aka Stroud type) 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Go to Frank Reich's introductory press-conference and listen to what he's saying about the type of QB he wants. At the time I thought he was describing Anthony Richardson: 

- "it's a passing league but you have to run the ball to be a championship team"

- "offensively what you want to do is create a conflict in the defender's mind - is it a run is it a pass? is it RPO Is it first level RPO? Is it second level RPO? Is it going deep? Starts with running the football ... And second thing is - you have to get the ball vertical down the field... "

Q: What type of QB do you prefer? A running style QB like Jalen Hurts(you mentioned the RPOs) or traditional drop back QB?

FR: We all know where this game is going, right? We all know the game is going more towards a movement style QB. I embrace that. I love that. I've worked with Carson Wentz and we've done a lot of good things with movement, RPOs, playaction. Same thing in Indy, we've had some drop back guys and some movement guys... Ultimately we can adapt to whatever... but where the game is going... and most of the guys coming into the league from college have more movement. That has some advantages - the defensive players will tell you - when that QB is there and he's a threat to run(you watch Jalen Hurts and the Eagles... which our offenses are very similar, because of our connections[with Steichen and Sirianni] and the QB is running a zone read and he's a threat to run ... it just puts the defense in conflict. Slows the backside down. We have a saying "frontside wins games, backside wins championships". Well if I got a QB who can run and he's making the defensive end or linebacker hold his water, this is gonna make my guys on the front side. It's going to make the guys on the OL have better leverage... but at some level even those guys have to win from the pocket. If we have one of those guys, we won't drop 50 times, but you gotta drop back 10 times. It's 3d and 10 and the game is on the line... you probably are playing from the pocket. We can develop that as well! You gotta understand who you're drafting, continue to develop them as a player... we can all get better. I can become better as a coach, they can become better as a player. But ultimately that's the challenge and that's the excitement of it. 

Ooh Wee Stitches you did your homework on this one bro! Cha ching!

48 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Just watched some of his highlights. He looks pretty good!

Carolina is going to take Richardson or Levis. Frank said in his intro press conference with the Panthers that he wants a running team with a Quarterback like Jalen Hurts. He said that out of his own mouth and in commentary. Neither Stroud nor Young fit that profile.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And here we wait.

Honestly, do we really care if Parris is here or are we more inclined to be desperate for anybody or any movement when the Colts are again seemingly too patient or gun-shy? Seriously, this is a fair question all of us should have. 

Parris Campbell has had one healthy mediocre season. Meh. Blame it on whatever but it wasn't earth-shattering. 

Is this team so void of talent that we are willing to settle for any talent, normally average or below?

This mindset of settling must stop.

Let him walk. He's not that crucial, nor is he not that much of a difference maker. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I can't buy into that thought process. I the narrative that only Ballard is going to make the pick is a bit ridiculous no matter how much people dislike him. Irsay is going to be heavily involved 

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ooh Wee Stitches you did your homework on this one bro! Cha ching!

The conflict that Irsay spelled out for those listening when he stupidly slipped the 12th man bomb. Here is to hoping Steichen still gets his 12th man that can lead us to a SB.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Carolina is going to take Richardson or Levis. Frank said in his intro press conference with the Panthers that he wants a running team with a Quarterback like Jalen Hurts. He said that out of his own mouth and in commentary. Neither Stroud nor Young fit that profile.

But what does the owner want. I doubt they moved to one for either. They would of just moved to 3.

Archived