Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard doesn't get what? There are 30 other GMs in the league and you expect Ballard to outbid them all? Maybe Fitterer and Poles worked the deal without Ballards knowledge? Maybe Ballard didn't have enough confidence in any of these QBs to use the draft capital? 

Why would 30 other GMs try and trade up for the no1 pick? That's just stupid. Even if Fitterer and Poles worked the deal without Ballard's knowledge, that means 1.) Ballard didn't put in an offer or 2.) The offer wasn't near good enough so Poles took the Panthers offer. 

If Ballard didn't have confidence to trade up for Young or Stroud, why should we have more confidence in Ballard than Fitterer at this point? Just asking so you don't turn this into a Colts forum Vs Ballard argument.

Just now, presto123 said:

If the Colts miss out on their QB in the draft now, what are they chances they make a hard push for Lamar? 

Pretty decent I think. We can get him if we want him as our 1sts are better than any other team besides the Texans and Panthers that want a QB ( and they will draft one).

Here's my thoughts on the situation:

IMO the Bears wanted a 1st round pick for next year and they very likely wanted a win-now piece in addition(this has been a consistent report ever since they actually floated the possibility of trading out of no.1). IMO the reason Panthers got it done is - they likely were the only team in the top 10 that offered their first round pick next year + a really good young vet. We probably offered something like a couple of seconds and vets(Kenny Moore?), but it wasn't enough... 

IMO if the Colts offered the 1st next year, we would have been able to seal the deal. But Ballard prepared us during the combine that he likes where we are at 4 and that he isn't desperate to move up. IMO, this was actually the case and NOT a smokescreen. He didn't want to give up the 1st... AND I LOVE IT that he didn't get swept by the excitement and perceived pressure on him to make such a trade. I've been on the record for a while that I don't think any of those QBs are good/clean enough to warrant giving up an additional 1st round pick for(a 1st round pick that BTW is likely to be high when you are starting a rookie QB).

I've been plenty critical of Ballard for philosophical disagreements I have with him, but this is something that IMO is a strong side for him - he doesn't let emotion dictate his decision-making. He makes a calculated and informed decision and he sticks with it, no matter the pressure and no matter the dopamine boost the fans would get for a few weeks because we traded our 1st next year(which very likely might be more valuable than the pick we have now). One of the big worries I had was that Ballard would act like a GM on the hot seat, who's desperate for quick wins and this would compromise our long-term future. 

I would much prefer we draft Richardson + best TE or WR in the second + have our 1st next year(if we truly suck - get a generational QB in Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, if we are slightly better - maybe have a chance at Marvin Harrison Jr), rather than give up those picks for a QB with questionable ceiling. 

On the Panthers potentially trading that pick again... I don't buy it... maybe they can trade with the Texans because everybody seems to assume they are after Young. 

On the Panthers still not having decided who they want - I call nonsense. You don't trade that much capital if you don't have a specific player in mind. Now who that is... is a different question. Seems like the majority assumes it's Stroud. 

39 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard doesn't get what? There are 30 other GMs in the league and you expect Ballard to outbid them all? Maybe Fitterer and Poles worked the deal without Ballards knowledge? Maybe Ballard didn't have enough confidence in any of these QBs to use the draft capital? 

Ballard has been on record saying the QB is just another player. Without a good QB we will never win jack. I have defended Ballard on here more than anyone with the exception of maybe newcoltsfan. So I don't want to hear I am trashing Ballard. We could have offered roughly the same deal to Carolina and Chicago would have even got our 4th, they got a 9th. I have my opinions, you have yours. I am tired of losing, maybe you aren't. Reasons why I haven't posted much all week because everytime someone has a difference of opinion, people jump down your throat in here.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard has been on record saying the QB is just another player. Without a good QB we will never win jack. I have defended Ballard on here more than anyone with the exception of maybe newcoltsfan. So I don't want to hear I am trashing Ballard. We could have offered roughly the same deal to Carolina and Chicago would have even got our 4th, they got a 9th. I have my opinions, you have yours. I am tired of losing, maybe you aren't. Reasons why I haven't posted much all week because everytime someone has a difference of opinion, people jump down your throat in here.

Just like the real world. One side flips out if you don't fall in line with their point of views. Hell with that; you keep expressing your own opinions!

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now don't go getting all logical on us.   Remember, we are supposed to act on our emotions.  When Carolina moved up, we should be panicking and calling Arizona right now (Texans likely wouldn't trade with us) and giving away all of our picks in this draft to get "our QB."

I like staying at 4.  The Colts won't die if they don't get Stroud or Young.  

7 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Just like the real world. One side flips out if you don't fall in line with their point of views. Hell with that; you keep expressing your own opinions!

I am just trying to figure out what this team is doing. A lot of it hasn't made sense since 2021 when we traded for Wentz. At this point nothing would shock me, we could draft defense or the OT out of Ohio State. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just trying to figure out what this team is doing. A lot of it hasn't made sense since 2021 when we traded for Wentz. At this point nothing would shock me, we could draft defense or the OT out of Ohio State. 

They just didn't think any of the QBs was worth the difference in price. 

Would you rather have Stroud or (Levis or Richardson + Marvin Harrison Jr next year + top of the second round player in this year's draft?) That's about the price we would have needed to pay for no. 1 IMO. 

Just now, stitches said:

They just didn't think any of the QBs was worth the difference in price. 

Would you rather have Stroud or (Levis or Richardson + Marvin Harrison Jr next year + top of the second round player in this year's draft?) That's about the price we would have needed to pay for no. 1 IMO. 

At this point I am not sure what we are doing. I lived through 1984-1986 and it was a long 3 years. Gives me nightmares and something this younger generation will not be able to handle.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you can figure out what team is doing; you are a genius. I stopped figuring out why they make bonehead moves some time ago.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At this point I am not sure what we are doing. I lived through 1984-1986 and it was a long 3 years. Gives me nightmares and something this younger generation will not be able to handle.

Unfortunately that's the life of fans of teams in the QB purgatory. You know I've been one of the biggest proponents for drafting a QB high in the draft. But at the same time I give some leeway to the decision-makers to make the best decisions they think will benefit this team. In this specific draft class with those specific QBs I don't see a big enough difference to warrant giving up a 1st round pick that is very likely going to be a top 10 pick next year in order to get our pick of imperfect QBs. I'm not saying you should agree with what Ballard did(or didn't do). All I'm saying is - it's really not that hard to understand their thinking :dunno:

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Even the most casual posters at this point were sick of the veteran band-aid options after Wentz. Almost everyone wanted to draft a QB, and people like me wanted to trade up for one like Herbert and Tua in 2020. The only people who were ok with the veteran QB carousel are the people who have blind faith in Ballard and the FO.

Ummm no I have faith in Ballard but I said immediately when Luck retired we needed to draft someone and that’s been my stance sense. Seems the colts have finally realized this but the last two draft classes of QBs are crappy at best

19 minutes ago, Semicolt said:

I still say trade down and get Hooker or Bennett. There are no franchised quarterbacks in this draft!

Or even the kid from Purdue. I’m an IU grad and it tastes bitter saying this but… there’s something in my gut that tells me off all the QBs in this draft, the kid from Purdue would be my pick to be the next day two or day three pick to wow the league. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No one has ever given up that many picks to move up to number 1 in the history of the draft. 

and in the history of the draft, no team that has traded up to number 1, picked a player, and won the super bowl with the player(Elway and manning were traded AFTER their selections when they refused to sign but that’s another story) 

Also, we will see if any reporters can dig out whether Colts was trying to do this trade also, but probably not. Which clearly suggest that the FO does not have one QB they love above the others. On the other hand, not sure if they think they can fix all four of them, so doing nothing is also a risk.

10 hours ago, Indeee said:

Profootballtalk is reporting that the Panthers put out a presser saying now they are in control of the draft and are not opposed to trading back.

:Nuke:

Sounds like that terrible Kevin Costner movie "Draft Day", doesn't it? Boy, did that story idea bomb at the box office!! :funny:

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Richardson would be Incredible in Steichen's offense.

Good enough that Frank may not screw it up. But I wouldn't bet on it. :spit:

He could be incredible but that's banking on him improving his accuracy substantially.  Whether or not he can do it remains to be seen.  I'm of the opinion that Stroud/Young are better at the QB position - but AR would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch each week.  Probably blow the doors off fantasy too, lol

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Also... if you trust Matt Miller's reporting:

Thats what ive been saying. They want Cam Newton 2.0. Frank thinks he can fix him. Hes enamoured with the tools. I started thinking more about it after they got rid of DJ Moore. Yes they can get another WR but why would you get rid of your #1 receiver if your offense is being built around a passing QB? Prlbably bc he knows the majority of their offense is going to be based on Run The Darn Ball and play action. And Richardson is the main piece. Carolina has had offenses like this under John Fox and similar stuff with Cam Newton. They can even have Cam stop buy and help with Richardsons development. Carolina can say to Frank "Hey this is what we did to help Cam improve. Why dont you do this?.

Just now, stitches said:

BTW Allbright's report was that Frank Reich loves Levis. 

So it really could be that the Panthers try to trade down. I wonder if a team like the Titans, Falcons and or Raiders would trade with AZ first and then trade up with Carolina. 

Would any team be willing to do that insanity? 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

So it really could be that the Panthers try to trade down. I wonder if a team like the Titans, Falcons and or Raiders would trade with AZ first and then trade up with Carolina. 

Any team without a QB will always have some level of desperation going on…

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Panthers call you: 4+2024 1st + 2025 second for no.1? 

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This. To me Ballard has a flawed philosophy in today's nfl. He doesn't understand that the qb position IS the most important one for team's success and the SPECIAL ones give you a shot at that SB. Trenches, run game, solid defense and a serviceable qb sounds more like that Bears team that he was associated with in the EARLY 2000's that the Colts beat for a SB. It definitely doesn't match the Chiefs philosophy from where Ballard came from something a fact that JMV treaded lightly around in pointing out. To ME Ballard comes off as smug, stubborn and boarderline arrogant in his team build philosophy but is media savvy enough to sell snake oil as medicine. That would be fine with me IF he had a winning record, some division titles, regular playoff runs or the team was a SB threat after all these years BUT he has NONE of the above. The man is going into year SEVEN as a FIRST time gm. Let that sink in.

Ballard had no choice but to be humbled at the end of the season because whether you LIKE him or not his RESULTS have been at a bare minimum in SIX long years SOMETHING that he acknowledged himself and said that all the critism was warranted. If you get that special qb no one remembers what you gave up to get him. Carolina was moving up from the 9th position so they had to offer a haul. I think the Colts had some leverage at 4 IF they really wanted to make a move. I honestly never thought they would anyway because that's Ballard's MO. Deep down I was hoping I would see some change but I'm bracing for the same ol same ol.

Archived