Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alt. Thought

Matabix

To play devil's advocate. 

Here's a scenario. We trade back to 8. We don't draft a QB in the 1st. Matt Ryan restructures his deal and is signed for 2 years.

1st what do we get in trade and what would be your 3 round mock? 

The fans revolt and burned down Lucas oil stadium in this scenario lol 

but it would have to be 2 first rounders and this years second round pick at minimum. I still wouldn’t like it though because at 8 you are losing out the top DE and no sure thing WRs either. Basically you have to take a tackle at that point. 

7 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Here's a scenario. We trade back to 8. We don't draft a QB in the 1st. Matt Ryan restructures his deal and is signed for 2 years.

56th street has riots like never seen before

30 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Wait.  Why back to 8 specifically?  I’d want multi picks including a first from next year in addition to the 8 etc 

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Trading back might be a option, but keeping Matt Ryan isn’t going to happen.

I wouldn't like this scenario, but definitely don't think we'll move up. If the person most likely is gone by 4 that we want. I picked 8 just before panthers who is the next QB needy team. So if QB isn't improved this draft I was thinking how would Colts improve the existing roster. Anderson would be there if we stayed at 4. But even if we don't improve QB this year we'll need multiple 1st round picks to move up next year.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

This Is Insane Season 2 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

The fans revolt and burned down Lucas oil stadium in this scenario lol 

but it would have to be 2 first rounders and this years second round pick at minimum. I still wouldn’t like it though because at 8 you are losing out the top DE and no sure thing WRs either. Basically you have to take a tackle at that point. 

So in other words, you would have to get more than any team has ever gotten for the first overall pick?

3 hours ago, Matabix said:

I wouldn't like this scenario, but definitely don't think we'll move up. If the person most likely is gone by 4 that we want. I picked 8 just before panthers who is the next QB needy team. So if QB isn't improved this draft I was thinking how would Colts improve the existing roster. Anderson would be there if we stayed at 4. But even if we don't improve QB this year we'll need multiple 1st round picks to move up next year.

If you aren't drafting a QB.....why 8? You don't need to stay in front of a QB needy team, they're all gone, right?

42 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

what about Lamar Jackson? 

I feel like that option is becoming more realistic by the day . ?

If Baltimore, who knows him best, is unwilling to give LJ the contract he wants, why do you think Chris Ballard would want to pay a huge unprecedented contract PLUS give up at least 2 first round draft picks?   

I think this becomes LESS likely by the day. 

8 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

If you aren't drafting a QB.....why 8? You don't need to stay in front of a QB needy team, they're all gone, right?

Was thinking of what QB we would get with our 2nd pick if the guy we initially wanted is gone. Which if we stay at 4 could happen. 

Like I said devil's advocate. 

15 hours ago, Moe said:

Trading back might be a option, but keeping Matt Ryan isn’t going to happen.

Totally agree with you. To this day I can't believe how bad Ryan was for this team. Also nobody in the Colts hierarchy picked up on this either. He was like the equivalent of Curtis Painter. Remember those days. Omg!

12 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

what about Lamar Jackson? 

I feel like that option is becoming more realistic by the day . ?

So give up two 1st rnd picks and pay $250 million guaranteed or whatever he wants?

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Baltimore, who knows him best, is unwilling to give LJ the contract he wants, why do you think Chris Ballard would want to pay a huge unprecedented contract PLUS give up at least 2 first round draft picks?   

I think this becomes LESS likely by the day. 

Right, so here's the thing. 

First of all, the contract was set by the Browns giving that money to Watson.

Same thing with Kirk in Jax.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that being said, the open franchise tag allows the teams to bid on him. This is what will determine his market, not what he is asking for. 

The idea, or notion that Baltimore is unwilling to keep him, is not true.  It may be true that they don't want to give him a fully guaranteed contract, which means if someone does offer that, and they don't match, then he is gone. 

However, if no other team is going to offer him that fully guaranteed contract, that will determine his market.

With that being said, Baltimore has the option to match.

Additionally, each team must offer 2 first-rounders, doesn't matter what the position of those rounds are. With that being said, they may be more inclined to not match depending on which team is bidding, and where they stand among the bidders, combined with their draft position.

--> so, we disagree. While there's a good chance it won't be the Colts, IMO, it is more likely now than it was before he got non-exclusively tagged. 

@gspdx I would respond to your question as well, but I think this one sums up my thoughts on it.

No, I don't want to give him a fully guaranteed contract.  In short, I think when teams bid it will be a high bid, but I don't think teams are just gonna offer guaranteed money like the Browns.

However, imo Jackson is a step above Watson. So , we could be surprised. 

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Right, so here's the thing. 

First of all, the contract was set by the Browns giving that money to Watson.

Same thing with Kirk in Jax.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that being said, the open franchise tag allows the teams to bid on him. This is what will determine his market, not what he is asking for. 

The idea, or notion that Baltimore is unwilling to keep him, is not true.  It may be true that they don't want to give him a fully guaranteed contract, which means if someone does offer that, and they don't match, then he is gone. 

However, if no other team is going to offer him that fully guaranteed contract, that will determine his market.

With that being said, Baltimore has the option to match.

Additionally, each team must offer 2 first-rounders, doesn't matter what the position of those rounds are. With that being said, they may be more inclined to not match depending on which team is bidding, and where they stand among the bidders, combined with their draft position.

--> so, we disagree. While there's a good chance it won't be the Colts, IMO, it is more likely now than it was before he got non-exclusively tagged. 

@gspdx I would respond to your question as well, but I think this one sums up my thoughts on it.

No, I don't want to give him a fully guaranteed contract.  In short, I think when teams bid it will be a high bid, but I don't think teams are just gonna offer guaranteed money like the Browns.

However, imo Jackson is a step above Watson. So , we could be surprised. 

Yeah. It was the same reaction.   I didn't continue reading before I responded :thmup:

On 3/7/2023 at 7:13 PM, Matabix said:

If Matt Ryan is on the colts by march 17 we have wasted a season. I love Matt Ryan the man, the leader etc… but Matt Ryan is like that tide dye shirt with the dark colors and you have to run it through a couple times to get all the color bleed out. You know what I mean he is like what you would say beached whaled at this point , lol

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

If Matt Ryan is on the colts by march 17 we have wasted a season. I love Matt Ryan the man, the leader etc… but Matt Ryan is like that tide dye shirt with the dark colors and you have to run it through a couple times to get all the color bleed out. You know what I mean he is like what you would say beached whaled at this point , lol

if he's on the roster might as well slot him in as that back up "vet QB" that everyone is claiming we need so bad. 

Archived