Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Draft Combine Press Conference (Discussion)

philba101

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballard will also be on JMV after his draft presser.

18 hours ago, philba101 said:

I will be curious to see how much posturing Ballard will do when it comes to discussing QB prospects. Maybe he will bring Irsay along with him to throw some impromptu teasers in there.

Pretty sure Irsay is in Vegas. Something to do with his Irsay collection lol.

Ballard said most these quarterbacks can run and escape so colts will be much different then previous years.

Just now, cjrulli said:

This is all smoke. They don't want Bryce Young but don't want anyone else to know that they don't want Bryce Young. 

This would not surprise me. Have to keep Texans thinking they want young.

Asked about young he said he is dynamic.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Said if it works out that way he isn’t opposed of sitting them a year. Not sure that I’d what is best for this team. Can’t have these wide receivers learning two quarterbacks in two years again.

Wide receivers learning new quarterbacks is not hard.   That is not a consideration if they draft AR and decide to sit him for a year, or most if a year, to learn.   The receivers will be fine.   Honestly.   

A quarterback us like a fine wine….  You do not want to rush them before they’re ready.    Honestly. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wide receivers learning new quarterbacks is not hard.   That is not a consideration if they draft AR and decide to sit him for a year, or most if a year, to learn.   The receivers will be fine.   Honestly.   

A quarterback us like a fine wine….  You do not want to rush them before they’re ready.    Honestly. 

Then why did they all complain about it this last year. 

Ballard was more saying if he felt the QB wasn’t ready that was a option. I don’t see it happening. Ballard getting ready to come on JMV.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard was more saying if he felt the QB wasn’t ready that was a option. I don’t see it happening. Ballard getting ready to come on JMV.

Because everyone was looking at something to blame, the OL, the QB, the WRs, and lots of losing will do that to you especially if you hitched your wagon to a "former" MVP in the home stretch of his career without looking closely at your OL and the QB before starting the year. WRs wanted stability, more than anything else, that is what they were getting at. They will get that if they at least know a stable rookie is around the corner.

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Said if it works out that way he isn’t opposed of sitting them a year. Not sure that I’d what is best for this team. Can’t have these wide receivers learning two quarterbacks in two years again.

Not shocked to hear this and why I am not buying all the trade talk.  I’ve felt all along if the Colts make a trade it will be with the cardinals to go to number three.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So not Richardson…

Fast mind means the best of the bunch in that category, Bryce Young, but if you add it to what Steichen said, a fast mind can be developed because you are projecting where they will be. You just can't coach traits. Young can't get that much bigger or faster, Stroud suddenly doesn't become mobile, but both Levis and Richardson with higher ceiling traits can be coached to read Ds better. That is the traits based look on things.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Not shocked to hear this and why I am not buying all the trade talk.  I’ve felt all along if the Colts make a trade it will be with the cardinals to go to number three.

3 makes sense because then they are guaranteed one of the 3. The issue is what if cardinals get a offer from a team in 7-10 range who offer them more then colts will for moving up one spot.

Just now, chad72 said:

Fast mind means the best of the bunch, Bryce Young, but if you add it to what Steichen said, a fast mind can be developed. You just can't coach traits. Young can't get that much bigger or faster, Stroud suddenly doesn't become mobile, but both Levis and Richardson with higher ceiling traits can be coached to read Ds better. That is the traits based look on things.

Richardson is not accurate which is the second part he said.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I tend to agree.  Moving 1 spot is not going to invest a lot of draft capital to do. The Bears are expecting a kings ransom and I'm hoping Ballard doesn't go that route. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Richardson is not accurate which is the second part he said.

Yeah, if you move up, you move up for the higher floor. If you stand pat, you go with the guy who gives you a better ceiling unless you are enamored with JUST 1 prospect amongst all of them. I do think the goal for Ballard is to give cliched answers. We are all reading too much into it.

Who doesn't want an accurate QB? Who doesn't want a sharp mind in the field general? Who doesn't want traits? "Prospect" by definition, is still an unfinished product where the mind, accuracy, and to a less extent the traits aren't completely finished.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not going to be a deal breaker.   If Ballard and Steichen like AR but think he needs to sit for a year, they’re not going to not take the kid because the receivers might get upset catching passes from one guy in 23, and Richardson in 24.   

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t even move the needle.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not going to be a deal breaker.   If Ballard and Steichen like AR but think he needs to sit for a year, they’re not going to not take the kid because the receivers might get upset catching passes from one guy in 23, and Richardson in 24.   

I don’t even know if he needs to sit. Just seems like he might. But I won’t get excited about next season if I have to sit and watch a retread for 6 games and suck only to then see the rookie start. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Also, it is not like the rookie QB are not allow to build chemistry with the starter WRs in training. 

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Fast mind means the best of the bunch in that category, Bryce Young, but if you add it to what Steichen said, a fast mind can be developed because you are projecting where they will be. You just can't coach traits. Young can't get that much bigger or faster, Stroud suddenly doesn't become mobile, but both Levis and Richardson with higher ceiling traits can be coached to read Ds better. That is the traits based look on things.

Re Levis and Richardson, in theory....

Past drafts are (collectively) littered with guys who didn't and couldn't 'get it'.

36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Between Carter's arrest and this, it has to make the Bears nervous. I like the fact that Ballard came out and said it, that he doesn't have to move to No.1. :thmup:

At this point Carter is charged with 2 misdemeanors which I think is only a fine.

But it does tarnish him in some way but I don't think greatly

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

At this point Carter is charged with 2 misdemeanors which I think is only a fine.

In Indiana misdemeanors can get you 6 mo. to a year depending on degree of charges. Probation usually on first time offense.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

3 makes sense because then they are guaranteed one of the 3. The issue is what if cardinals get an offer from a team in 7-10 range who offer them more then colts will for moving up one spot.

You take the offer with the most picks and still get a top ten player.  Cardinals would be crazy to pass up a haul like that.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You take the offer with the most picks and still get a top ten player.  Cardinals would be crazy to pass up a haul like that.

Not really cardinals can take colts offer then move back again for more picks

22 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Minimum sentence is 1,000 fine per charge max is 12 months, in jai per charge.

i doubt he gets the max. Probably just the fine and community service. And likely a suspended license.  Unless he has a record or they add charges like lying to investigators on a death investigation, that is a felony. Or if they add leaving the scene of an accident causing death, that’s another felony.

they can add or drop charges all the way up to the court hearing  and in some cases, afterwards 

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not really cardinals can take colts offer then move back again for more picks

But that will mean at least two quarterbacks will have been drafted lowering the value of the 4th pick.  Bears could still trade the 1st and three quarterbacks are gone.  The 4th becomes less valuable.  For me the biggest potential haul for the Cardinals is to trade back further.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s funny he’s coming on JMV because JMV keeps saying Ballard should been fired that the Colts got the wrong GM . I personally disagree with that but it’s what JMV keeps saying. So I’m surprised he’d come on JMV but it kind of how Ballard is wired though he respects everyone ones opinion. 

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

This is all smoke. They don't want Bryce Young but don't want anyone else to know that they don't want Bryce Young. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  No way do they show their hand this early.  I'm thinking it is Stroud all the way.  Maybe Richardson or Levis. 

Archived