Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

On 2/26/2023 at 7:05 AM, krunk said:

Are you advocating to take this future Cam Newton with pick #4?  Your stance in the thread doesn't seem to favor that.

And that's really what Im ultimately saying as well.    I think we can get better than a Cam Newton ceiling type player with

that pick. 

Cam reached pretty impressive highs, especially considering his lack of development as a passer. Taking a guy with Cam's ceiling at #4 is probably a win, IMO. 

But I think this is a great comparison, probably better than Josh Allen, just because Allen is such an outlier in terms of his passing development that it's always met with 'yeah, but...' so we kind of need to dismiss him as a comp. The more likely development of a super athletic QB with a dynamic arm who is limited in his refinement probably tracks closer to Cam than to Allen -- he never became an efficient passer, and when he couldn't rely on his legs or faced a tough, disciplined defense, his superpowers didn't look so super. 

So when you take a guy, like Richardson, who has significant fundamental issues, you shouldn't expect him to overcome all of those issues. He might overcome some of them, but the likelihood that he fixes all of his problems is pretty low. Just being reasonable, a guy like this has extremely high bust potential. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Superman said:

My prediction yesterday was he won't go top 20. Seems like people are hearing otherwise.

CB on JMV talk reemphasized that ultimately tape shows the real picture for any position. I don't expect Colts to consider AR in top 20, but it wouldn't be a surprise if few teams have him high and one of them ends up drafting him pretty high. 

Teams surprisingly stayed away from QB position last year though, and considering the list of free agent QBs available this offseason, the list of those few teams considering AR at the top half of first round draft may further narrow down to very few. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

CB on JMV talk reemphasized that ultimately tape shows the real picture for any position. I don't expect Colts to consider AR in top 20, but it wouldn't be a surprise if few teams have him high and one of them ends up drafting him pretty high. 

Teams surprisingly stayed away from QB position last year though, and considering the list of free agent QBs available this offseason, the list of those few teams considering AR at the top half of first round draft may further narrow down to very few. 

Yeah I don't subscribe to the idea that players move up and down the board the way the media presents it, not even at the Combine. Some of them, sure, at times. In this case, not so much. Watch AR do a media interview, no question he can handle the room. 

What does catch my attention is people in Indy, talking to scouts and decision makers (presumably), getting the sense that AR is a top five prospect. That seems like it has some weight to it. But also, it's lying season, so who knows.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

My prediction yesterday was he won't go top 20. Seems like people are hearing otherwise.

IMO a lot of his drafting position depends on how he does this week, and not on the field, but rather in interviews and meetings with teams. Early reports seem to be glowing for how he's handling the interviews. He's just too physically talented to fall to the 20s IMO. And if teams think he has exceptional drive and determination to improve and if they think he has the mental ability to handle NFL offense, grasp new concepts and implement them in game... he won't fall. I really think his floor is probably Panthers at 9... IF the reports about his interviews are true. This was my biggest question about him as a prospect and he seems to be passing the test with flying colors so far. 

I was looking into where he's training in the off-season. He seems to be training in Florida with Denny Thompson, a QB coach who worked with Brock Purdy in last draft cycle. It's a whole QB academy and they work with the whole spectrum from young kids to NFL draft prospects. I had not heard of them before, but they seem to run serious operation(looking through their instagram, noticed Anthony Richardson, Brock Purdy, Gardner Minshew:

https://6pointsjax.com/

5 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO a lot of his drafting position depends on how he does this week, and not on the field, but rather in interviews and meetings with teams. Early reports seem to be glowing for how he's handling the interviews. He's just too physically talented to fall to the 20s IMO. And if teams think he has exceptional drive and determination to improve and if they think he has the mental ability to handle NFL offense, grasp new concepts and implement them in game... he won't fall. I really think his floor is probably Panthers at 9... IF the reports about his interviews are true. This was my biggest question about him as a prospect and he seems to be passing the test with flying colors so far. 

I was looking into where he's training in the off-season. He seems to be training in Florida with Denny Thompson, a QB coach who worked with Brock Purdy in last draft cycle. It's a whole QB academy and they work with the whole spectrum from young kids to NFL draft prospects. I had not heard of them before, but they seem to run serious operation(looking through their instagram, noticed Anthony Richardson, Brock Purdy, Gardner Minshew:

https://6pointsjax.com/

Information about the academy was shared last month here (from Niners Nation in Jan, iirc), seems Kyle Shanahan has some links to the academy which is how 49ers ended up drafting Purdy as the last draft pick. 

Good to know that Richardson is part of them this offseason. 

As you said, the biggest unknown for us fans is how the QB prospects ace the interview processes (even if there are reports, the communication are not going to be public), how the prospects understand NFL offense and defense systems, how they process the coverages and looks that they've not come across in their college career, the situations they have handled on football field and how, and so on. 

As Lions HC Dan Campbell and others have said during the Combine, teams are more interested in meeting the prospects and getting to know the minds of the players. Those information that the teams gained would very much influence what range the prospects are going to be drafted. If teams are very impressed with some players, they are going to be very tight lipped, so as not to tip the insiders, and we fans would've no idea until the draft day or closer to the date. 

17 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Information about the academy was shared last month here (from Niners Nation in Jan, iirc), seems Kyle Shanahan has some links to the academy which is how 49ers ended up drafting Purdy as the last draft pick. 

Here it is for you and @stitches again:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game

The transformation for Brock Purdy and how it happened.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:57 AM, stitches said:

Oh absolutely. Don't get me wrong - Richardson NEEDS to improve his passing game, his footwork and mechanics and his accuracy. Needs to be more consistent processor of the game... He is definitely a project and he might need to sit a year. But again... I've said this before and in other threads - you are not drafting a QB for his rookie year. Pretty much ALL of those QBs are likely to struggle as rookies. Hell, what people thought was a generational QB prospect in Trevor Lawrence had a pretty bad rookie year. But you don't draft him for the rookie year, the hope is that you are drafting him for the next 10+ years. 

I actually think this following scenario is more interesting to discuss - Lets say all 3 other QBs are gone before 3. (Say Raiders trade up to 1 and take one of the QBs, Texans at 2 take the second QB, and Seattle or Atlanta jump to 3 for the 3d QB) 

Now you are left at 4 with the option to take Richardson there or take another player... or... ring-ring... Panthers call and offer you 9+2024 1st for 4. But this time you are pretty much certain that they will be taking Richardson there so if you trade back you are left without a QB in this year's draft... well... maybe you trade back into the 1st later and get Hooker or something... So what do you do? Take Carter or Anderson? Trade back to 9 and pick non-QB? Or do you take Richardson?  

This^^^^^ is a highly likely scenario. Is this happens, I pull the trigger and take Richardson at 4. Not crazy about it, but as of right now, I want one of these four. Could change a lot after we see more from them as well as guys like Hooker, McKee, etc.

38 minutes ago, Hark said:

This^^^^^ is a highly likely scenario. Is this happens, I pull the trigger and take Richardson at 4. Not crazy about it, but as of right now, I want one of these four. Could change a lot after we see more from them as well as guys like Hooker, McKee, etc.

Yeah, that is why I feel Ballard should move to No.3, increasing the choice possibilities between the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board there.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Here it is for you and @stitches again:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game

The transformation for Brock Purdy and how it happened.

This smells like nonsense and CYA.   Purdy is the same QB now as he was at ISU.  NFL teams just ignored it, for whatever reason, but take Trey lance at pick 3, LOL.

This article reads like the NFL passed on Purdy for legit reasons, but only for the NFLs golden blessing by throwing coaches, did they turn a legitimate lemon into lemonade.

I mean, how else can you explain that the last pick in the draft is a better QB than the QB they traded up to take at 3 2 years before.  

Its not because of their shallow, bad, and probably biased evaluation process...Purdy is only a good QB now because of their great coaching.  LOL.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

This smells like nonsense and CYA.   Purdy is the same QB now as he was at ISU.  NFL teams just ignored it, for whatever reason, but take Trey lance at pick 3, LOL.

This article reads like the NFL passed on Purdy for legit reasons, but only for the NFLs golden blessing by throwing coaches, did they turn a legitimate lemon into lemonade.

I mean, how else can you explain that the last pick in the draft is a better QB than the QB they traded up to take at 3 2 years before.  

Its not because of their shallow, bad, and probably biased evaluation process...Purdy is only a good QB now because of their great coaching.  LOL.

Doug….  

The throwing coach is a private coach.   He’s NOT part of the 49ers coaching staff.   And who has to cover their rear here?   The 49ers were smart to take the kid with the last pick in the draft. 

And great coaching did help the kid.   They tailored what they did to what Purdy did best.  Teams try to do that, but not every team succeeds. 

I don’t know what you’re objecting to?   

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug….  

The throwing coach is a private coach.   He’s NOT part of the 49ers coaching staff.   And who has to cover their rear here?   The 49ers were smart to take the kid with the last pick in the draft. 

And great coaching did help the kid.   They tailored what they did to what Purdy did best.  Teams try to do that, but not every team succeeds. 

I don’t know what you’re objecting to?   

I'm objecting to the article implying that this coach turned Purdy into an NFL QB.   Its CYA.   By saying that Purdy only became NFL caliber after he was touched by the Grace of this coach, it validates the idea that the NFL evaluators were objective and correct when they passed over him for 7 rounds. 

Now that Purdy has shown all 32 teams' scouts how wrong they were, they come up this article that inflates the importance of what the coach did after Purdy was drafted.  Circling the wagons as to not be embarrassed about how badly they got it wrong.  

Purdy is the same now as he was for three years at Iowa State.  Its why they played so well during those years...and the NFL thought it was because of Matt Campbell, their HC.   LOL.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

What do you think is the chance he has improved his footwork and shows it in the throwing session? 

I think he’ll have some trouble on the same throws Levis had trouble with — timing, left side, etc. And some of his deep drop stuff might look really deliberate and slow. And he’ll show out on the big boy throws. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When Steichen and Ballard were asked, several times, what qualities they look for in a QB, I don't think jumping ability was ever on the list.

No it wasn't but toughness, ability to extend plays, seeing over a defensive lineman, and ability to take any play to the house are great qualities to have.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When Steichen and Ballard were asked, several times, what qualities they look for in a QB, I don't think jumping ability was ever on the list.

Ballard can say a lot of things but he drafts high RAS athletes with regularity. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Welll  it may have to be with a still unknown LT. An over rated and over paid LG.  A washed up center and no RG. Oh and I  forgot a RT who cannot handle speed rushers. I am joking, some what, but this team may have to  draft an athletic qb not because they want to but because they have to because  of an over paid, heartless, declining Oline.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

And here's the confirmation :

No one has ever questioned his athletic ability.  It’s the other things that come with playing QB that people question.  If he was good at those he would be maybe the greatest prospect in draft history.  Having an insane athletic score at the combine just confirms what was already known about him and doesn’t answer any the questions people have about him.  

On 3/2/2023 at 8:17 PM, Superman said:

Cam reached pretty impressive highs, especially considering his lack of development as a passer. Taking a guy with Cam's ceiling at #4 is probably a win, IMO. 

But I think this is a great comparison, probably better than Josh Allen, just because Allen is such an outlier in terms of his passing development that it's always met with 'yeah, but...' so we kind of need to dismiss him as a comp. The more likely development of a super athletic QB with a dynamic arm who is limited in his refinement probably tracks closer to Cam than to Allen -- he never became an efficient passer, and when he couldn't rely on his legs or faced a tough, disciplined defense, his superpowers didn't look so super. 

So when you take a guy, like Richardson, who has significant fundamental issues, you shouldn't expect him to overcome all of those issues. He might overcome some of them, but the likelihood that he fixes all of his problems is pretty low. Just being reasonable, a guy like this has extremely high bust potential. 

Cam Newton one of the worst QB's to ever play in NFL. Great athlete, terrible passer/QB via accuracy except for the SB year when he made Philly Brown look like an all-pro...Ha!! Accuracy matters!! Hard Pass on Richardson

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't get what the hype is about. The guy is Cam Newton with worse accuracy 

1000% percent agree. Hard pass

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Cam Newton one of the worst QB's to ever play in NFL. Great athlete, terrible passer/QB via accuracy except for the SB year when he made Philly Brown look like an all-pro...Ha!! Accuracy matters!! Hard Pass on Richardson

1000% percent agree. Hard pass

I don't get the Cam hate..Dude was a beast...his career numbers show it...most accurate ever..nope..bit plenty accurate enuff to win a ton games...get his team division titles and a super bowl appearance..plus was exciting to watch play..so if that's the "best" you think you can get from Richardson then sign me up..I'm not saying to trade up for him..but if he's the one left at 4 then I take him all day long every day

A couple of things about AR’s throwing workouts:

1. More power than touch leading to balls being on the face to helmet level for out routes by sidelines. Definitely harder to intercept than if it hit the numbers but also harder to catch and control while getting 2 feet down by the sidelines. Definitely going to be harder to incorporate any small WR in an offense with him, IMO. However an offense with taller WRs will benefit playing with him. Throws down the seams, however will be his biggest challenge.

2. His deep throws have more arch and may be better than Levis’ deep throws, IMO for both of them having cannons for arms.

Just my :2c:

"Does he win" - Chris Ballard

Only two options for trading to RD1 Pick 1... If someone in the vicinity of a generational talent like an Andrew Luck is there, then okay.  In this draft, there are only 2 players:  

QB1a: Stroud

QB1b: Young

Archived