Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. Adam is a bit of a jerk in these circumstances. Always has to be the first. 

Um, breaking news is his job. It's ridiculous people get mad at the reporters. Someone has to tell the reporter in order for them to break the news. Be mad at them. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's over 200 pages haha

It is 156 pages.

Are you suggesting we lock the other thread? What if this news is premature?

Until it is official, this news is no different than what has been reported in the HC Discussion Thread. 

Having said that, I may leave it separate, as Colts fans may want to focus on this rather than the general coaching search.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Until it is official, this news is no different than what has been reported in the HC Discussion Thread. 

Having said that, I may leave it separate, as Colts fans may want to focus on this rather than the general coaching search.

You could always unlock it if that happens.

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Should we keep these as separate threads? I was about to merge them with the HC Discussion thread.

I vote for separate. After endless speculation there is enough smoke for Steichen to warrant his own thread.

17 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

Um, breaking news is his job. It's ridiculous people get mad at the reporters. Someone has to tell the reporter in order for them to break the news. Be mad at them. 

He’s a product of our culture, so you’re right. I should mad at all of us honestly for creating a “me, me, me” and an “I want it now” instant gratification society. He’s doing his job well for sure.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

For those who wanted major change, you didn't really get it.

What you had:

Ballard

Gus

Bubba

Frank

What you now have:

Ballard 

Gus

Bubba

The updated version of Frank, the 2023 model, straight out of Philly

Speaking for myself, I was completely happy with Bubba and Gus this past season. I’m glad they are hopefully staying. The biggest struggle was the offense from the HC, OC down to the OL coach. Only offensive coach you can feel somewhat positive about was Reggie. 

Shaq’s comments recently regarding accountability were all you need to know. Frank was too soft on his players and they needed a kick in the *. 

Hopefully Shane brings that.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

On one side, I'm really happy with this news... on the other hand though ... it freaking sucks that this is leaking right now. This was pretty much the worst day for this to leak. A few hours before the Super Bowl. I can't imagine Steichen is happy with this coming out now. 

I think the media is probably well into their SB programming that they are not going to focus on this very much.  And Steichen is probably knee deep in SB prep that I don't know if he has much time to devote to answering questions about it.  I'd think having this leak a few days ago would have provided more time for him to be bothered with coverage and more of a distraction.  Its too close to the actual SB to matter, IMO.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

@NFLfan

Here's my suggestion

Wait until the announcement is 110% official then lock the other thread and this place we can discuss new hire

If it ends up being someone else you can simply edit the title 

I get the thinking but I doubt he backs out.  It's not the same situation as Mcdaniels had in New England.  Josh could always run back to daddy and he was already well accomplished.  This is Shane first opportunity to be a head coach.  I doubt he burns bridges this early. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

@NFLfan

Here's my suggestion

Wait until the announcement is 110% official then lock the other thread and this place we can discuss new hire

If it ends up being someone else you can simply edit the title 

We won't lock the HC Discussion thread until someone is hired. We will leave this open. However, if another candidate is hired, we will start another thread for that hire and eventually lock both this one and the HC Discussion one.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something else worth watching is all the FA eagles have will Ballard go after any and would they follow him here. With a rookie QB I don’t know if Ballard will go that far but something to watch.

I can't remember how to spell his name  but I want Seumolo or however you spell it

This coaching search has been nothing more than a soap opera worthy of competing directly with the creators of General Hospital.

So after having offensive production problems, we are going to hire the OC for one of the SB teams...the OC who actually calls the plays.   Golly, some of us figured this a long time ago.

The process spawned a bunch of click bait tweets on the internet from NFL media types, and a 135 page thread on this forum.  And after that dust settles, we hire the guy who we all thought would be hired based upon the typical NFL criteria for hiring HCs.  The entire "thorough process" looks like a pony show.

If he's the right guy at the right time, and I think he is, that's fine.   The whole process has just been kind of funny in its irrelevance, IMO.

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is 156 pages.

It was 200 til Nadine cleaned it

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something else worth watching is all the FA eagles have will Ballard go after any and would they follow him here. With a rookie QB I don’t know if Ballard will go that far but something to watch.

I bet Steichen also talked to Reich so he had assurances this wasn’t a bad situation to walk into.

Siranni stuck up for Frank after he got fired, in a public way...that's all. 

I don't think anybody is going to hold a petty grudge and jeopardize a professional decision about their future over a team firing a likable acquaintence....to the extent that Steichen even knows or cares much about Frank.

Archived