Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

POLL: 2023 NFL Draft QB Class - Who Do You Want? Part 1

RollerColt

2023 Rookie QB  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-combine, who do you want for us to draft as our rookie QB for 2023? Keep in mind this isn't who you think Ballard is going to take, this is who YOU personally would prefer to take.

• Bryce Young - Alabama
    • CJ Stroud - Ohio State
    • Will Levis - Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson - Florida
    • Tanner McKee - Stanford
    • Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
    • Max Duggan - TCU
    • Stetson Bennett - Georgia
    • Jalen Hall - BYU
    • Aiden O'Connell - Purdue
    • Clayton Tune - Houston
    • Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA
    • Cameron Ward - Washington State
    • Malik Cunningham - Louisville

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I picked Tanner McKee mainly to have another name to talk about, but also because I like the combination of height and arm talent that can't be taught...and...the high dosage of draft capital that can be accumulated by trading down twice to then pick him.

At pick 4, with the three QBs and Richardson, as well as a strong DE class, I think we could trade down from 4 to maybe 7,8, or 9 as LVR, ATL, or CAR want QBs...and then trade back again.

Its just too strong of a QB draft class to fall in love with one guy.....who we all admit each have their flaws.   Take the dart board approach, draft two this year but still accumulate the capital to move up again next year if that class looks good.

With @Nickster's analogy, I think there are too many girls still out there to make such a high invested commitment in the hot girl you really don't know enough about until after you date her for a year.

Second choice is Levis over Stroud.  I think Levis's picks are because of him fitting throws into tight windows...which are at least NFL types of throws.  Stroud is very accurate, but in throws that don't present themselves in the NFL that much.  Seem like he would be good in an O that schemes the first guy open, but then I'm concerned that instead of taking off and improvising, he will stand there and hold the ball like JB and end up taking a sack.  Although Levis makes dumb plays, he also shows enough spunk to try to make something with either his legs or with difficult throws.   He just needs to be reigned in whereas Stroud looks like the calm horse that needs the stirrups a lot.  Its easier to tame a bucking horse than it is to get a calm horse to buck when he needs to.  JMO.

I'd be happy with any of the three over Young.  I'd put Hooker on par with McKee, but I think Tanner has the higher ceiling.  

That’s why I want to do what Lawrence from Office Space would do with a million dollars.  I hope you get the reference because spelling it out might violate board code lol.  

if I was drafting in the Colts position man, I’d tell you what I’d do man. . .

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nickster said:

That’s why I want to do what Lawrence from Office Space would do with a million dollars.  I hope you get the reference because spelling it out might violate board code lol.  

2 at once man

From everything ive heard Bryce Young is Kyler Murray 2.0. No thanks. CJ Stroud is interesting but no Ohio State QB has ever been successful in the NFL. Fluke at this point? I dont think so. Has to be something to do with the way the program is run. So give me Levis.

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

From everything ive heard Bryce Young is Kyler Murray 2.0. No thanks. CJ Stroud is interesting but no Ohio State QB has ever been successful in the NFL. Fluke at this point? I dont think so. Has to be something to do with the way the program is run. So give me Levis.

He is nothing like kyler murray. He looks like a smaller version of Aaron rodgers/ pat mahomes the way he uses legs to run from one side of field to the other while directing his receivers and completing the pass. His passing skills awareness and pocket presence are better than murray by leaps and bounds. Murray has a stronger arm but that is all he has over him.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He is nothing like kyler murray. He looks like a smaller version of Aaron rodgers/ pat mahomes the way he uses legs to run from one side of field to the other while directing his receivers and completing the pass. His passing skills awareness and pocket presence are better than murray by leaps and bounds. Murray has a stronger arm but that is all he has over him.

I agree, I think Young will be a better pro.

I want someone who is accurate and explosive with running the ball = dual. That is Young, he will put on muscle once in the pro's and gain weight so to me his WT isn't an issue.

I would be ok with Stroud as well, love his leadership and accuracy, he isn't as explosive as Young but can still run a little + he is stronger/bigger/taller.

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yeah two.  But I don't necessarily want the second one to be a dog just to have a second.  If the second one is (a) Hooker, that's a good crop to work with.   

I don't know if McKee even requires a first round pick to get him (its just what I'm seeing in some mocks).  Maybe we trade down to get draft picks this year and next and take both QBs in the second round.

Heck...guess what...we're not going to the SB next year.  Be experimental.  Play one QB for 4 games then the other for 4 games, etc.   And we still have probably an extra 1st or more next year because of the trade backs.

Just a thought born from boredom.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Murray is also much a much bigger build and a fantastic runner with video game like speed and agility.  He has tree trunk quads.  And like Tanya, Shirley, and Irene he got a big ole butt.  Murray is listed at 5'10 and 207.

I like your comparison of Young to Rodgers or Mahomes.  I don't agree or disagree because I haven't seen him play much at all.  But the way you describe it seems to be the scouting report.

All I know about the kid from my own observation is he doesn't physically look like an NFL QB.  He's obviously short but there have been other short QBs that are good.  One of the earliest I recall was Theismann.  And it isn't just that he's thin either which he is but his frame is so narrow.

But I've said in another thread, that if there has been an era when a little guy like him could be successful, it would probably be today with all the rules protecting QBs.  But man he's small.  

In an earlier thread I estimated that he will measure 5'10" and about 185 lbs. 

He's built like a soccer midfielder. 

What if we trade back a few spots to gain a 2 or 3 and take Parris Johnson at LT... then we package our 2nd round pick with the extra pick we gained trading back to move back into a late 1st round pick and take Quentin Johnson at WR, and we package a 3rd round and a 4th round to get a late 2nd round pick and take Stetson Bennett at QB...

Just like that we have added a franchise LT, WR, and QB. 

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What if we trade back a few spots to gain a 2 or 3 and take Parris Johnson at LT... then we package our 2nd round pick with the extra pick we gained trading back to move back into a late 1st round pick and take Quentin Johnson at WR, and we package a 3rd round and a 4th round to get a late 2nd round pick and take Stetson Bennett at QB...

Negative

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Rather have hyatt as he is faster and more explosive

18 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's news to me.  I've probably mentioned him in the past but I never WANTED him.  I like the idea of getting him in the bottom of the first or at pick 35, get picks, and then use a pick on Hooker in the second round too.  Get both, have them compete.  If you don't like either, trade up next year since the season should produce another high pick (because of the QB play you don't like)

My mistake. I just know you've mentioned liking him in the past. 

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Its Jaren Hall, not "Jalen" Hall (BYU). And if we can't get one of the "top-3" then I'd be cool with taking him. I'm probably the ONLY one who'd be cool with taking him, mind you. ;-)

I didn't even notice my phone had autocorrected it... Gah... 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

My mistake. I just know you've mentioned liking him in the past. 

I didn't even notice my phone had autocorrected it... Gah... 

No worries.  Its fine.   I think this draft the elite QBs have some flaws, but then the next level QBs or McKee and Hooker still project as NFL starters, with some limitations.  That's a little different than in normal years where there are guys at the top and then the drop off goes down to the Duggan/Fromme/Bennett level.   In those years, its about getting the QBs that are bear the top and the other guys are just throw ins.   IMO, McKee and Hooker have more traits/skills than that.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

No worries.  Its fine.   I think this draft the elite QBs have some flaws, but then the next level QBs or McKee and Hooker still project as NFL starters, with some limitations.  That's a little different than in normal years where there are guys at the top and then the drop off goes down to the Duggan/Fromme/Bennett level.   In those years, its about getting the QBs that are bear the top and the other guys are just throw ins.   IMO, McKee and Hooker have more traits/skills than that.

I agree. This class might end up being one of the deeper QB drafts where serviceable talent is available. It’s a good year imo to need a QB. 

Hearing the pipe dreams and excuses being made for Will Levis is hilarious. We’re headed back to the cellar days of the 80’s & 90’s with him as QB.  Guy is all wishes & prayers.  I’d rather take Will Anderson or Skoronski and tank for next year over hitching this franchise to Levis.  If he ends up the Colts, I hope I’m wrong but right now he feels like hype in the hope that he’s Allen or Herbert instead of evaluating him on his production and game. 

57 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Hearing the pipe dreams and excuses being made for Will Levis is hilarious. We’re headed back to the cellar days of the 80’s & 90’s with him as QB.  Guy is all wishes & prayers.  I’d rather take Will Anderson or Skoronski and tank for next year over hitching this franchise to Levis.  If he ends up the Colts, I hope I’m wrong but right now he feels like hype in the hope that he’s Allen or Herbert instead of evaluating him on his production and game. 

Well Ballard is making the pick so what could go wrong? 

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do we have a franchise  qb,  elite players  at wr,  corner, LT, Dend? I would argue with that.

Of course you would.   But he drafts players who are good.  He rarely has a bust.   Even when he misses on a player, that player is picked up by another team and colts tributes.   By comparison, when Grigson missed that player was soon out of the league.  

As for your list….  Ballard believes Raimann is the LT of the future. He believes in Kwity and Dayo at DE.   The Colts have Gilmore and Rodgers at corner. 

This draft, the team expects to acquire its franchise its QB.   WR will likely have to wait another year while the young receivers the Colts have continue to improve.   It’s not as bleak as you like to portray. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course you would.   But he drafts players who are good.  He rarely has a bust.   Even when he misses on a player, that player is picked up by another team and colts tributes.   By comparison, when Grigson missed that player was soon out of the league.  

As for your list….  Ballard believes Raimann is the LT of the future. He believes in Kwity and Dayo at DE.   The Colts have Gilmore and Rodgers at corner. 

This draft, the team expects to acquire its franchise its QB.   WR will likely have to wait another year while the young receivers the Colts have continue to improve.   It’s not as bleak as you like to portray. 

Elite and yes he has  had his share of busts.

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree but thecfinal and greatest measuring stick of someone's  success and lack of  is wins and losses. 

I understand.   But those that don’t like Ballard continue to point to 2017 so they can argue that he has a losing record.  Even though it’s been demonstrated that Irsay doesn’t hold it against CB.   And it’s been clearly demonstrated the Colts were treating 2017 as a Tank Season to set up for the 2018 draft.

Some here refuse to except any explanation that doesn’t fit their narrative because their dislike for Ballard runs too deep.   It’s an uphill fight with them. 

On 1/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, Chucklez said:

I don't get the Bryce Young hype. Sure he is elusive and exciting with his feet, but his accuracy scares me at the NFL level. He will throw a lot of intereceptions.

Yeah. In 2+ yrs in college, his TD/INTs are 80/12 and about a 65% completion rate. Boy I'm sure worried about thost INTs and accuracy.

smh

I get concerns about his size, but he played for Alabama, not Connecticut Tech. He's played against NFL-size players and done really well. To me the proof is in the production.

Stroud is my second choice. If neither is there at 1.04, in the name of mercy trade down. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, crazycolt1 said:

OK. What you say can be solved with the right players drafted and a couple of free agents. 

Realistically, no it can't. We have too many holes and this isn't a strong FA class. Another reason I favor playing for 2024. 

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

Realistically, no it can't. We have too many holes and this isn't a strong FA class. Another reason I favor playing for 2024. 

I'm pretty sure Ballard will be playing for 2023 and 2024. You may not agree with his methods but we have no idea where this is going.  Has he been given a time frame?

On 1/26/2023 at 12:04 PM, NewColtsFan said:

when you do all that trading back, who are you taking at quarterback in 23?  Or are you putting that position off until 24?

In which case, who is the QB this year and how are you getting him? 

You maybe take a flyer on someone in later rounds (like several teams did last year) and if it doesn't look like that dart hit the bullseye, you go for your guy in 24. 

On 1/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, coltsfan_canada said:

I picked Levis but if Young, Stroud, and Levis went as 1, 2, 3 then I would like to get Hooker. 

There is absolutely and positively no way three QBs are picked 1/2/3. I will be shocked if more than one QB is taken when our pick comes up. And if we draft Hooker, it better be because we traded down.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm pretty sure Ballard will be playing for 2023 and 2024. You may not agree with his methods but we have no idea where this is going.  Has he been given a time frame?

Oh I have no doubt he will. It's likely the wrong move IMO, but he will.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:52 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Want Levis,would rather have the QB who can carry a team to a Superbowl with a flawed roster and that is NOT Stroud nor Young. Many mocks now have Levis at #1

I've looked at a lot of mocks and there is exactly one mock that has that ridiculous prediction, PFF. Where else are you seeing it?

I see Young or Stroud hoisting a trophy long before Levis, if ever. "Looking the part" doesn't cut it. Proof is on the field, for better or worse. I remember when the Bills drafted JP Losman. Looked the part, cannon of an arm; he once threw a ball between the goal posts from 60 yds out while on his knees IIRC. Unfortunately, that situation didn't come up much in games...

On 1/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Yeah because there is this long line of successful NFL QBs from Kentucky.

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

I was with you until Bennett. He can be had with a Day 3 pick FYI. 

Archived