Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

POLL: 2023 NFL Draft QB Class - Who Do You Want? Part 1

RollerColt

2023 Rookie QB  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-combine, who do you want for us to draft as our rookie QB for 2023? Keep in mind this isn't who you think Ballard is going to take, this is who YOU personally would prefer to take.

• Bryce Young - Alabama
    • CJ Stroud - Ohio State
    • Will Levis - Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson - Florida
    • Tanner McKee - Stanford
    • Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
    • Max Duggan - TCU
    • Stetson Bennett - Georgia
    • Jalen Hall - BYU
    • Aiden O'Connell - Purdue
    • Clayton Tune - Houston
    • Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA
    • Cameron Ward - Washington State
    • Malik Cunningham - Louisville

32 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I would take Bryce first, to me hes just the best player.

If he doesnt have a long career I'm ok with that.  There are teams winning now with guys who probably wont be a long term answer for decades(Eagles)

I'm also ok with Stroud.  I dont like Levis, not with the 4th pick.  Hes not very good today and thats important to me.  He may never be

Id take stroud first. He has some burrow in him. Young is a smaller version of rodgers, mahomes but I cant see ballard taking him.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Not a very good one then. Ballard has valued the senior bowl over the years. I’m sure other GM’s do too. 

I guess he figures he will take his chances in the draft over risking an injury. A career ending injury would leave him broke. Some say a smart move.  

So, I was just reading that the Raiders have not given Derek Carr's team the permission to speak with other teams about a trade yet. This is bizarre as most experts think that Carr will be cut or traded from the Raiders by February 15. This is the date that Carr's $40.4 million salary and bonus will be guaranteed if he is still on the Raiders roster. Carr has a no-trade clause so most expect him to have some say in his next location. Why the team has not allowed him to talk with potential trade suitors with two weeks left before the deadline is anyone's guess. Unless Aaron Rodgers is traded or Tom Brady chooses a new team before the Super Bowl, Carr is expected to be the first QB domino to fall because of the impending deadline. Where Carr goes and who replaces him in Vegas could have a huge impact on what teams will be drafting QB's in the first round this year. The amount of teams pursuing QB's in the first round could have a direct impact on the Colts #4 pick.

Finally voted.  I'd like to see a slight trade back and get Richardson and may some more picks.    The kid may be special. If so the extra pick will help add more weapons.  If not we try again next yr.   I fully expect a vet to start the season.  I'm ok if its not a vet. it's what I expect   I don't see a can't miss guy in any of the top 3    I'm not a GM or a scout so I am probably wrong 

On 1/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, Chucklez said:

I don't get the Bryce Young hype. Sure he is elusive and exciting with his feet, but his accuracy scares me at the NFL level. He will throw a lot of intereceptions.

Stroud is the more prototypical QB, but he has some wiggle too and doesnt give me the same bad vibes. 

Bryce Young seems like the classic guy people get excited about, but when he actually hits the NFL he flops hard (ala Jonny Manziel).

A lot of college quarterbacks fail to make a good transition to the nfl.  Most from Ohio State haven't done great.  I'm from Ohio and love Ohio State, however it never seems like they have a very challenging schedule each year so transitioning to nfl is difficult for some.  CJ definitely looks good.  But he is going to have to have some excelling coaching to bring him into the nfl!  I always felt Andrew Luck never got the coaching he needed to make him great.  He had the potential.  So Colts gotta restructure a LOT this year, but we can do it!!!

7 hours ago, bk4colts said:

A lot of college quarterbacks fail to make a good transition to the nfl.  Most from Ohio State haven't done great.  I'm from Ohio and love Ohio State, however it never seems like they have a very challenging schedule each year so transitioning to nfl is difficult for some.  CJ definitely looks good.  But he is going to have to have some excelling coaching to bring him into the nfl!  I always felt Andrew Luck never got the coaching he needed to make him great.  He had the potential.  So Colts gotta restructure a LOT this year, but we can do it!!!

I don't buy the opinion that Luck wasn't great.  He is 1st in Colts season  history with 4761 yds over Mannings 4700 

He also is 2nd behind Marino and ahead of Manning in TD passes in his 1st. 6 seasons.  

Sorry, his potential exceeded anything that could have been expected. 

9 hours ago, bk4colts said:

I always felt Andrew Luck never got the coaching he needed to make him great.  

um

what?

Luck didn't need much coaching; he already WAS great. He just never got the OL to protect him because Grigson was a lame GM. 

The fact that Will Levis is 2nd is disheartening. Especially over Young. It’s embarrassing. Go watch JT O’Sullivan’s latest QB School breakdown on YouTube of Levis, Stroud, & Young and tell me how anyone could justify taking this guy in the top 10.  

Im sure people will say Josh Allen…  He’s not Josh Allen.  You can’t rate Levis by watching tape of Allen.  You gotta watch Will’s tape. And on his tape he looks closer to a poor man’s Wentz than Allen.  He’s as reckless with his running as both. Problem is he gets injured and his play drops drastically like Carson. Yet we’ll hear Young is too small and will get injured. Levis will be dinged up and struggle every year in the league. 

I’d rather take a tackle and go after Williams or Maye next year over taking Levis in the 1st.  I’d even rather go after Hooker, Hall, Haener, O’Connell or McKee later in the draft than Levis in the 1st. 

I think they should trade down to get someone to help sure up the Oline, with a high pick, then with some picks from trading down, maybe, get some more decent players, but mainly pick up Tanner Mckee for QB, in maybe second round, if he is there.  Playing for stanford, he would prolly be ready for NFL, for the most part and he has a fast release, and i see alot of up side to him.   My main concern is the Oline this off season...   That is just my thoughs and may be dumb, but i really like mckee and think it would be a good move personaly.

If we can’t get Young or Stroud, I’d look hard into seeing if the Bears were gonna trade Fields.  If we could get him for a couple 2nds (this year’s and next year’s) and a 3rd and keep pick 4, we’d be cooking with gas.  I’d love to see what Steichen could do with Fields. 

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If we can’t get Young or Stroud, I’d look hard into seeing if the Bears were gonna trade Fields.  If we could get him for a couple 2nds (this year’s and next year’s) and a 3rd and keep pick 4, we’d be cooking with gas.  I’d love to see what Steichen could do with Fields. 

Nah im good if we dont go young or stroud you have to go Levis or richardson. Or trade back and get hooker and pair him with hyatt

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If you are going to trade for fields you might as well draft ar 15. They have a similar skill set

On 2/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, Smoke317 said:

The fact that Will Levis is 2nd is disheartening. Especially over Young. It’s embarrassing. Go watch JT O’Sullivan’s latest QB School breakdown on YouTube of Levis, Stroud, & Young and tell me how anyone could justify taking this guy in the top 10.  

Im sure people will say Josh Allen…  He’s not Josh Allen.  You can’t rate Levis by watching tape of Allen.  You gotta watch Will’s tape. And on his tape he looks closer to a poor man’s Wentz than Allen.  He’s as reckless with his running as both. Problem is he gets injured and his play drops drastically like Carson. Yet we’ll hear Young is too small and will get injured. Levis will be dinged up and struggle every year in the league. 

I’d rather take a tackle and go after Williams or Maye next year over taking Levis in the 1st.  I’d even rather go after Hooker, Hall, Haener, O’Connell or McKee later in the draft than Levis in the 1st. 

It will be interesting to see what QB's slide or move up based on the combine and their individual pro days. I have seen Stroud, Young, and Levis all go as high as #1 in mock drafts and Richardson go as high as #7. But, I am now seeing some drafts projecting Levis as low as the #7 and #9 picks.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:11 PM, Stephen said:

I went with levis as I dont believe ballard will trade up for stroud

I didn't vote for Levis, but I kind of feel the same way. Ballard is not giving up additional draft capital to move up for Young or Stroud. That almost assures that we take Levis at #4 if he is still there. Ballard is probably betting that there won't be two teams besides the Texans who will trade ahead of us at #4. 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:11 PM, Stephen said:

I went with levis as I dont believe ballard will trade up for stroud

I didn't vote for Levis, but I kind of feel the same way. Ballard is not giving up additional draft capital to move up for Young or Stroud. That almost assures that we take Levis at #4 if he is still there. Ballard is probably betting that there won't be two teams besides the Texans who will trade ahead of us at #4. 

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

If you are going to trade for fields you might as well draft ar 15. They have a similar skill set

Not if we could get Fields for a couple seconds as opposed to a first. My point is I don’t believe the value is there taking Levis or Richardson in the first round.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Nah im good if we dont go young or stroud you have to go Levis or richardson. Or trade back and get hooker and pair him with hyatt

Fields is better than Richardson, Levis, & Hooker.  I also think he can be better than Stroud too if given the right coaching and weapons. Not sure about Young though.  Young is magical.  If we could get Fields and keep pick number 4, I’m doing that 1 million times over drafting Levis or Richardson (or even Stroud) high in the first round.  Then we can take the best OT or edge rusher at pick 4.  We could even trade back to recoup some of those picks and maybe take Mayer from out of Notre Dame in the teens.  

Hurts just showed what a dual threat QB, when used properly, can do.  Fields is even more talented than Hurts.  He just doesn’t have the supporting cast or coaching. Richardson may fit their talent mold but he’s nowhere near the QB’s that they are yet.  Lastly, if the 49ers had drafted Fields instead of Lance, they’d be in the Super Bowl this year instead of the Eagles.  Give me Fields over every QB in this class besides Young (and maybe Stroud).

On 2/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, Smoke317 said:

I’d even rather go after Hooker, Hall, Haener, O’Connell or McKee later in the draft than Levis in the 1st. 

Or Clayton Tune.  Every one of these second tier Qbs has a higher ceiling than nearly any second tier QBs coming out in the past 5 drafts, IMO.   There isn't a Burrow in the class, and that's why this class is getting crapped on, but I think there are a lot of could-be Kirk Cousins/Dak Prescott's.

At this point, I'd support trading up to 3, and only 3, to get Stroud.  If I can't get Stroud I'm trading down and taking the Kirk Cousins later while getting capital to take a shot at the Qb again next year.

5 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Will Levis is 3rd on my list but if he skips out on the combine, after skipping the Bowl game and senior bowl game, he’s completely off of my board.  CJ Stroud is my guy, and I’d be ok with Bryce Young if CJ is not abailable

He’ll definitely attend the combine. He seems like a workout warrior.  Probably do a lot of reps on the bench press. It’s his QBing that concerns me. 

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Fields is better than Richardson, Levis, & Hooker.  I also think he can be better than Stroud too if given the right coaching and weapons. Not sure about Young though.  Young is magical.  If we could get Fields and keep pick number 4, I’m doing that 1 million times over drafting Levis or Richardson (or even Stroud) high in the first round.  Then we can take the best OT or edge rusher at pick 4.  We could even trade back to recoup some of those picks and maybe take Mayer from out of Notre Dame in the teens.  

Hurts just showed what a dual threat QB, when used properly, can do.  Fields is even more talented than Hurts.  He just doesn’t have the supporting cast or coaching. Richardson may fit their talent mold but he’s nowhere near the QB’s that they are yet.  Lastly, if the 49ers had drafted Fields instead of Lance, they’d be in the Super Bowl this year instead of the Eagles.  Give me Fields over every QB in this class besides Young (and maybe Stroud).

In college. I Got all three bring better thanfields in the nfl. Especially Levis and Hooker

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

In college. I Got all three bring better thanfields in the nfl. Especially Levis and Hooker

Especially Levis?  Levis had a game under 100 yards passing vs Vanderbilt. Young & Richardson both threw for 400 plus yards vs them. Levis is all hype & hope.  I just don’t see it with him or Richardson. Hooker, I was higher on but the more of his tape I watch, I see some flaws. Plus he & Levis are 4th & 5th year seniors.  

If you’re gonna be a senior in college you shouldn’t struggle against younger players. You’re supposed to shine. Levis did no such thing. Hooker at least carved up his opponents. Imo neither Levis or Richardson are 1st round worthy (Hooker might’ve been if not for the injury).  We draft either and we’re gonna be in the cellar of the AFC South during the majority of their tenure. Fields already has NFL experience and is already setting or knocking on the door of NFL QB records in his 1st year as a starter. Now imagine him with legitimate weapons to pass to and a coach to maximize his talent. He’s gonna set the standard for dual threat QB’s.

30 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Especially Levis?  Levis had a game under 100 yards passing vs Vanderbilt. Young & Richardson both threw for 400 plus yards vs them. Levis is all hype & hope.  I just don’t see it with him or Richardson. Hooker, I was higher on but the more of his tape I watch, I see some flaws. Plus he & Levis are 4th & 5th year seniors.  

If you’re gonna be a senior in college you shouldn’t struggle against younger players. You’re supposed to shine. Levis did no such thing. Hooker at least carved up his opponents. Imo neither Levis or Richardson are 1st round worthy (Hooker might’ve been if not for the injury).  We draft either and we’re gonna be in the cellar of the AFC South during the majority of their tenure. Fields already has NFL experience and is already setting or knocking on the door of NFL QB records in his 1st year as a starter. Now imagine him with legitimate weapons to pass to and a coach to maximize his talent. He’s gonna set the standard for dual threat QB’s.

Despite Richardsons poor accuracy stats I think he has better pocket prescence than fields. His main issue is mechanics which can be corrected. Also the wrs he played with had trouble handling his arm strength.

19 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

He’ll definitely attend the combine. He seems like a workout warrior.  Probably do a lot of reps on the bench press. It’s his QBing that concerns me. 

Exactly why it’s so hard for me to even consider drafting him so high.  I want a competitor who is not afraid to show their ability ON field.

Not getting all the Levi's criticism here. Does he have flaws. Yes. All four of the top four have flaws. But please. Before you all close your minds go back and look at his 2021 games when had wandale Robinson and a better supporting cast. I think the guy can play. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:59 AM, DougDew said:

Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion the Colt won't go Qb with  their  1st pick. I just don't think the value is there at 4 and lord forbid they move  up to number  1

Archived