Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

POLL: 2023 NFL Draft QB Class - Who Do You Want? Part 1

RollerColt

2023 Rookie QB  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-combine, who do you want for us to draft as our rookie QB for 2023? Keep in mind this isn't who you think Ballard is going to take, this is who YOU personally would prefer to take.

• Bryce Young - Alabama
    • CJ Stroud - Ohio State
    • Will Levis - Kentucky
    • Anthony Richardson - Florida
    • Tanner McKee - Stanford
    • Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
    • Max Duggan - TCU
    • Stetson Bennett - Georgia
    • Jalen Hall - BYU
    • Aiden O'Connell - Purdue
    • Clayton Tune - Houston
    • Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA
    • Cameron Ward - Washington State
    • Malik Cunningham - Louisville

I made a similar poll in the draft thread, but I think with the current situation this also could fall in the main thread as well. Who do you want at QB if we indeed decided to go for a rookie this year? Let's see where the forum is at before the combine. 

I'll probably make another poll in the spring after the combine to see if our views change. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the Bryce Young hype. Sure he is elusive and exciting with his feet, but his accuracy scares me at the NFL level. He will throw a lot of intereceptions.

Stroud is the more prototypical QB, but he has some wiggle too and doesnt give me the same bad vibes. 

Bryce Young seems like the classic guy people get excited about, but when he actually hits the NFL he flops hard (ala Jonny Manziel).

I voted for Levis, but that is simply because I am in love with his release.  He has rare arm talent.  

But I can tell you for sure that I am not confident that my choice is a good one.  It's like being enamored with the pretty girl.  I don't know anything else about her.  She could be a serial killer for all I know. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I voted for Levis, but that is simply because I am in love with his release.  He has rare arm talent.  

But I can tell you for sure that I am not confident that my choice is a good one.  It's like being enamored with the pretty girl.  I don't know anything else about her.  She could be a serial killer for all I know. 

Yep. I'm really torn. I voted Stroud for right now, but it could change after the combine. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. I'm really torn. I voted Stroud for right now, but it could change after the combine. 

I loved Stroud's GA performance.  It's really the only game I ever really focused on with him.  I almost voted Stroud.  He looked all everything in that game and the knock about him not dealing well with pressure or playing well off script was not in evidence that day. 

See to me Stroud is a really good looking gal.  Comes from a stable family, has a good head on her shoulders.

But Dang Levis is just so friggin' hot my brain can't keep her out of itself lol. 

And if one of the other prospects is available in R3 or R4 or even R2 if management really likes it, I'd like to see them double down.  Take two shots.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I loved Stroud's GA performance.  It's really the only game I ever really focused on with him.  I almost voted Stroud.  He looked all everything in that game and the knock about him not dealing well with pressure or playing well off script was not in evidence that day. 

See to me Stroud is a really good looking gal.  Comes from a stable family, has a good head on her shoulders.

But Dang Levis is just so friggin' hot my brain can't keep her out of itself lol. 

And if one of the other prospects is available in R3 or R4 or even R2 if management really likes it, I'd like to see them double down.  Take two shots.

I've watching every lowlight performance I can find on all of them. Even in the really bad games Stroud just seems so poised... 

All of the top three have played tough competitive conferences on a regular basis as well, so I'm not worried about any Zach Wilson scenarios. 

I’m in the camp of trading down numerous times for multiple high 2024 draft picks, and then drafting bpa at a position of need round 1 in 2023. I then would look to draft 2 QBs with Dorian Thompson-Robinson being one to see what you have for next season. If it doesn’t work out, you have multiple 2024 1sts to have a great shot at either Caleb Williams or Drake Maye who are much better prospects. I’m just not fully sold on any of these 1st round QBs outside of maybe Young but his size worries me. Colts need help in many places before they can labeled just a QB away. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I’m in the camp of trading down numerous times for multiple high 2024 draft picks, and then drafting bpa at a position of need round 1 in 2023. I then would look to draft 2 QBs with Dorian Thompson-Robinson being one to see what you have for next season. If it doesn’t work out, you have multiple 2024 1sts to have a great shot at either Caleb Williams or Drake Maye who are much better prospects. I’m just not fully sold on any of these 1st round QBs outside of maybe Young but his size worries me. Colts need help in many places before they can labeled just a QB away. 

You have a legit point but I don't see the Colts writing off next season.  Personally I don't think this roster is lacking the talent to have a quick turnaround. 

The old saying is the difference between a 1st place team and a last place team is just a few players. I do believe that. 

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

DTR is lowkey awesome. Some really good tape on him. Honestly this draft is deep with potential talent. No guarantees, but there's a lot of QBs who could be something down the road. I would not be shocked if one of the mid round QBs end up being a starter 3-4 years from now. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have a legit point but I don't see the Colts writing off next season.  Personally I don't think this roster is lacking the talent to have a quick turnaround. 

The old saying is the difference between a 1st place team and a last place team is just a few players. I do believe that. 

They need a starting Center, RG, a few quality corners, a twitchy slot type WR, a legit edge player, depth at DT, and probably a good all around TE to pair with Woods longterm. 

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

They need a starting Center, RG, a few quality corners, a twitchy slot type WR, a legit edge player, depth at DT, and probably a good all around TE to pair with Woods longterm. 

OK. What you say can be solved with the right players drafted and a couple of free agents. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

OK. What you say can be solved with the right players drafted and a couple of free agents. 

Well when you trade down multiple times from 4 overall that gives you much more darts at the board to address those positions cheaply and with a more longterm approach.  

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well  if u  think Levis is the hot girl, Richardson is the super model but she's all over the place and flirting with everyone.  Is she going to settle down  and give   u the  family life or contine to flirt and never reach  her potential of being a great mom.

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Well when you trade down multiple times from 4 overall that gives you much more darts at the board to address those positions cheaply and with a more longterm approach.  

You just assume the Colts can trade down multiple times?  Just snap a finger and make it happen. :dunno:

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

You’re in that camp that believes that the mock simulators are realistic and accurate and that the trade back values they offer are offered in real life.

And when you do all that trading back, who are you taking at quarterback in 23?  Or are you putting that position off until 24?

In which case, who is the QB this year and how are you getting him? 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well  if u  think Levis is the hot girl, Richardson is the super model but she's all over the place and flirting with everyone.  Is she going to settle down  and give   u the  family life or contine to flirt and never reach  her potential of being a great mom.

Literally never seent the dude lol.  He must be hot lol.  It's that short arm quick release thing that I am into.  Does ARich have that?  See if not, you supermodel, schmooper model I've always been.  See it's the release that does it for me man.  The shake my little tush girls never really did it for me. I need a little something like a quick release, for me what Elizabeth Shue had and by gorsch still has after all these. yeasrs. 

After analyzing their play styles I definitely can see Levis and stroud working here. Levis is great with jump balls which pierce and pittman should strive off of. Stroud has elite ball placement. I can also see why levis had more turnovers as he forces the ball into tight windows more.

41 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm going to act like I don't find them attractive so that they are attracted to me....wait what are we talking about?

I haven't voted yet, haven't really did that much film watching.......BUT I'll say for now I think Levis is the safest choice while Young has the best chance of being above average, size permitting. AR15 is very risky but has a chance  of being elite. I think after the combine his stock may soar, especially in the media. 

44 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I haven't voted yet, haven't really did that much film watching.......BUT I'll say for now I think Levis is the safest choice while Young has the best chance of being above average, size permitting. AR15 is very risky but has a chance  of being elite. I think after the combine his stock may soar, especially in the media. 

I voted Young but I think the actual selection will end up being Levis. I want no part of Stroud

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I voted Levis. After seeing Rivers and Ryan here, I think having someone with mobility and arm talent is important. I’d be okay with Stroud but Levis’ traits make me comfortable.

All three have arm talent but to me Bryce Young is the most talented OVERALL. He has all the accolades at every level BUT his size scares me at the next level. Can he withstand the punishment being so small? With that being said I think CJ Stroud is a STRONG 1A!!! So he would be my pick. I also judge the qbs vs competition. How many future NFL caliber types are they competing against? Will Levis scares me... Look at his numbers very pedestrian like with some higher ints. He has ALL the tools BUT his DEVELOPMENT will be crucial at the next level. If the Colts don't get the right offensive staff around him I see Mitch T or Carson Wentz written all over him. Nail it and you could possibly have a Josh Allen comp.

I think based on Ballard the size aspect of Young becomes a factor. I think personally that Young has great traits and could be very successful. The injury side only comes to play if you do a lot of design runs and put him in an Air Coryell system with long developing offensive plays. If you allow him to be in a quick offense and do smart runs you limit contact. The whole adding so much weight thing could be possible but regardless he will be able to get stronger. 

It dpends on whether you have to trade up or not.  If you could stay at #4, get Levis and keep all your draft picks, that would be my vote.  

If you somehow have your choice of Levis or Stroud, I'm fine with either.

I voted Stroud. I think he is the whole package. I just hope Ballard does not sell the farm to move up to no.1. I do not think their is enough difference between the 3 QB's to mortgage the future to select a particular one. Knowing Ballard he will not want Young because of his size and he will pick Levis because of his size and arm strength. That will be a mistake. He throws too many interceptions and does not see the field well. The scouting report said he lowers his head a lot when under pressure.

I picked Tanner McKee mainly to have another name to talk about, but also because I like the combination of height and arm talent that can't be taught...and...the high dosage of draft capital that can be accumulated by trading down twice to then pick him.

At pick 4, with the three QBs and Richardson, as well as a strong DE class, I think we could trade down from 4 to maybe 7,8, or 9 as LVR, ATL, or CAR want QBs...and then trade back again.

Its just too strong of a QB draft class to fall in love with one guy.....who we all admit each have their flaws.   Take the dart board approach, draft two this year but still accumulate the capital to move up again next year if that class looks good.

With @Nickster's analogy, I think there are too many girls still out there to make such a high invested commitment in the hot girl you really don't know enough about until after you date her for a year.

Second choice is Levis over Stroud.  I think Levis's picks are because of him fitting throws into tight windows...which are at least NFL types of throws.  Stroud is very accurate, but in throws that don't present themselves in the NFL that much.  Seem like he would be good in an O that schemes the first guy open, but then I'm concerned that instead of taking off and improvising, he will stand there and hold the ball like JB and end up taking a sack.  Although Levis makes dumb plays, he also shows enough spunk to try to make something with either his legs or with difficult throws.   He just needs to be reigned in whereas Stroud looks like the calm horse that needs the stirrups a lot.  Its easier to tame a bucking horse than it is to get a calm horse to buck when he needs to.  JMO.

I'd be happy with any of the three over Young.  I'd put Hooker on par with McKee, but I think Tanner has the higher ceiling.  

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I picked Tanner McKee mainly to have another name to talk about, but also because I like the combination of height and arm talent that can't be taught...and...the high dosage of draft capital that can be accumulated by trading down twice to then pick him.

At pick 4, with the three QBs and Richardson, as well as a strong DE class, I think we could trade down from 4 to maybe 7,8, or 9 as LVR, ATL, or CAR want QBs...and then trade back again.

Its just too strong of a QB draft class to fall in love with one guy.....who we all admit each have their flaws.   Take the dart board approach, draft two this year but still accumulate the capital to move up again next year if that class looks good.

With @Nickster's analogy, I think there are too many girls still out there to make such a high invested commitment in the hot girl you really don't know enough about until after you date her for a year.

Second choice is Levis over Stroud.  I think Levis's picks are because of him fitting throws into tight windows...which are at least NFL types of throws.  Stroud is very accurate, but in throws that don't present themselves in the NFL that much.  Seem like he would be good in an O that schemes the first guy open, but then I'm concerned that instead of taking off and improvising, he will stand there and hold the ball like JB and end up taking a sack.  Although Levis makes dumb plays, he also shows enough spunk to try to make something with either his legs or with difficult throws.   He just needs to be reigned in whereas Stroud looks like the calm horse that needs the stirrups a lot.  Its easier to tame a bucking horse than it is to get a calm horse to buck when he needs to.  JMO.

I'd be happy with any of the three over Young.  I'd put Hooker on par with McKee, but I think Tanner has the higher ceiling.  

Respect. You’ve wanted Tanner since this past fall and you been consistent on your reasons. 

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Respect. You’ve wanted Tanner since this past fall and you been consistent on your reasons. 

That's news to me.  I've probably mentioned him in the past but I never WANTED him.  I like the idea of getting him in the bottom of the first or at pick 35, get picks, and then use a pick on Hooker in the second round too.  Get both, have them compete.  If you don't like either, trade up next year since the season should produce another high pick (because of the QB play you don't like)

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Tanner is like flacco. His ceiling might be slightly higher

I think Stroud might be Flacco.  Throws the ball deep but chooses to not move.  JB could always move pretty well, he was just afraid too and never did it.  But I'd be happy if we just stood pat and took Stroud.

I haven't voted because I am not sure how to make everyone understand my thinking.   

I am wanting to lean towards Young. (yea yea I bashed his size in the past).  BUT.   If we can get him and ALSO Hooker.  Who I still think is going to be the steal of the QB's because of his draft position.    Then I vote Young.    If its only one QB.   I am between Stroud #1 I go WAY LOWER to  Levis 2A  then Richardson 2B Only reason I didn't say Hooker 2 A.   is the injury 

If it is not Young.   I see Matt Ryan as the starter for the 2023 season until the 2a and 2b.  get their  footing 

Thats why I haven't voted.     But I am good to vote how ever you want    Highest bidder kinda thing.  PBR is my favorite JSYK   Make your pitch for my vote.     I know how important this poll is so no lowballs  

Discuss

Archived