Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Frank Reich Ballard's pìck

Knuckles79

Ì have always wondered  if Frank was Ballard's or Irsay's choice? After Josh back tracked and we had chosen him over the others they couldn't call them back and offer it.  If I remember correctly Frank wasn't even asked for a interview until Josh Backed out! I tend to think Frank was Irsays choice and that's why Ballard hasn't been getting all the blame from Irsay

Yes, he was Ballard and Irsay's choice. I imagine it was the same as this head coaching search, Ballard interviews and picks his favorites then brings those top candidates to Irsay and discusses who he wants and why. Then Irsay gives approval.

He was the best of the rest. Ballard chose McDaniels (yeah judgment is suspect from that choice), and then McD*****bag backed out. Then another search happened and Frank was the best of three. Don't remember the other two.

3 minutes ago, KB said:

He was the best of the rest. Ballard chose McDaniels (yeah judgment is suspect from that choice), and then McD*****bag backed out. Then another search happened and Frank was the best of three. Don't remember the other two.

Had McDaniels stayed, our collapse would’ve happened a lot sooner probably. 

13 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

Ì have always wondered  if Frank was Ballard's or Irsay's choice? After Josh back tracked and we had chosen him over the others they couldn't call them back and offer it.  If I remember correctly Frank wasn't even asked for a interview until Josh Backed out! I tend to think Frank was Irsays choice and that's why Ballard hasn't been getting all the blame from Irsay

Doesn't matter. It's over. 

24 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

As the story goes…..   after McDaniels backed out, Ballard was coming up with more names to consider.  At that point, Bill Polian recommended that CB interview Frank.   No one knows if BP did so because Irsay asked him to or not.   Either way, the interview was done and Ballard was hugely impressed.  Ballard noted Reich asked zero questions about the status of Andrew Luck.  Not one question in a 5-hour interview.  Ballard was impressed.  

Frank was a good coach for the Colts right up to the moment where he wasn’t.   Ballard and Irsay heaped praise on Reich in 18, 19, 20 and even 21 after the terrible finish.  Things went bad this year and that  was the end.   But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good coach the other years.   Some here seem to be trying to build a case that Frank was never a good coach.  I think that’s sad. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As the story goes…..   after McDaniels backed out, Ballard was coming up with more names to consider.  At that point, Bill Polian recommended that CB interview Frank.   No one knows if BP did so because Irsay asked him to or not.   Either way, the interview was done and Ballard was hugely impressed.  Ballard noted Reich asked zero questions about the status of Andrew Luck.  Not one question in a 5-hour interview.  Ballard was impressed.  

Frank was a good coach for the Colts right up to the moment where he wasn’t.   Ballard and Irsay heaped praise on Reich in 18, 19, 20 and even 21 after the terrible finish.  Things went bad this year and that  was the end.   But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good coach the other years.   Some here seem to be trying to build a case that Frank was never a good coach.  I think that’s sad. 

I believe   Frank was a great coach. The beginning of the end was I believe  the vaxing  issue and Irsays    contempt of Wentz. I don't believe it helped at all either Ballard's comments about Wentz after the season .  Both Ballard and Irsay are more  responsible  for the teams current state then one named Carskn Wentz. I think it hit the offensive line the most. I think those 3 guys especially lost faith in their org. I think  Nelson especially  held a grudge and I  guess I cant really blame him. I think they need  a Bubba or Morris to guide this team in the right direction. 

Frank was a emergency hire after McDaniels backed out. If I remember correctly irsay reached out to the old gang because Belicheks lap dog put them in a embarrassing situation. 

Polian, possibly Dungy and Manning also pointed Irsay  to Reich. 

Reich was not the 2md choice or even on a long list of candidates I doubt. He was the best of a bad, embarrassing situation to no fault from the colts.. 

The thing is he shouldn't have stayed so long, let alone foolishly get extended. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Frank was a great human being, and a decent coach.

A good Play caller though? Absolutely not. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just a couple of questions. 

Is that something we will ever know? 

If we did know what difference does it make? 

No will never know!

It's called a discussion amongst fan forum members. 

Why waist your your breath if it is not worth discussing why enter the discussion? 

Misery has to be tough on the crazies 

22 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

No will never know!

It's called a discussion amongst fan forum members. 

Why waist your your breath if it is not worth discussing why enter the discussion? 

Misery has to be tough on the crazies 

You can't see that this subject has been discussed to the point of ad nauseam? 

I'm not in misery or crazy. Respectfully, I'm just tired of tired subjects that arise in this forum.  

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Frank was a great human being, and a decent coach.

A good Play caller though? Absolutely not. 

I think he was a good play caller his first three years….   18, 19, and 20.  

I think the play calling fell off last year and obviously this year.   Personally, I attribute that to a poor offensive coaching staff and key injuries/retirement to the OL,  the WR, the RB and TE. 

A lot of that is Frank’s fault as the head coach.  When he lost key assistants, I don’t think he replaced them with very good ones.   And some of that is Ballad's fault.  The decision to start Pryor at LT AND Pinter at RG to me cost Frank his job.   And I think Ballard acknowledged that at his year end conference.  He let down a lot of people who have already lost their jobs and others who are highly likely to lose their jobs.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he was a good play caller his first three years….   18, 19, and 20.  

I think the play calling fell off last year and obviously this year.   Personally, I attribute that to a poor offensive coaching staff and key injuries/retirement to the OL,  the WR, the RB and TE. 

A lot of that is Frank’s fault as the head coach.  When he lost key assistants, I don’t think he replaced them with very good ones.   And some of that is Ballad's fault.  The decision to start Pryor at LT AND Pinter at RG to me cost Frank his job.   And I think Ballard acknowledged that at his year end conference.  He let down a lot of people who have already lost their jobs and others who are highly likely to lose their jobs.  

Frank relied on Nick. Once Nick went to the Eagles, the offense became offensive.

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Frank relied on Nick. Once Nick went to the Eagles, the offense became offensive.

Yup.   100%.   We didn’t know it at the time.   I’m as guilty as anyone.   But Nick appears to have been the key guy on that staff.   

I think ‘21 is complicated.   Frank got an 1800 yard season out of JT when the pass blocking fell off due to injuries on the line and Fisher not bouncing back as expected.   That’s impressive.  And Wentz was better than he was in 20.   So Frank gets some credit.   But there were too many head scratching moments where the offense bogged down at exact the wrong time.  And those are on Frank and his staff. 

21 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Wow

Irsay, and NOT Ballard as one prominent ouster has been banging the drum for way too long.   It wasn’t hard to figure that out.

At that point, Ballard was the new guy and hadn’t done much.  Irsay was more of a known quantity. 

But I’ll say this….   If it turns out that this story is false, and Irsay never went to McDaniel’s home, then Dakich got taken for a ride.   It would be a terrible look for him. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.   100%.   We didn’t know it at the time.   I’m as guilty as anyone.   But Nick appears to have been the key guy on that staff.   

I think ‘21 is complicated.   Frank got an 1800 yard season out of JT when the pass blocking fell off due to injuries on the line and Fisher not bouncing back as expected.   That’s impressive.  And Wentz was better than he was in 20.   So Frank gets some credit.   But there were too many head scratching moments where the offense bogged down at exact the wrong time.  And those are on Frank and his staff. 

Dont be to quick to jump on the Sirrani band wagon. There  schedule is so easy. Lets judge the Eagles next year when they have a much harder schedule. I honesetly believe they will go 500.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Let us face it though. This is TMZ worthy stuff. 

It is so funny and you maybe correct., however when any other rumor is put out there, fans are all over it when it comes to possible trades and the draft. I have always contended that it was not a simple case of Daniels being untrust worthy ,  as to why he bolted.  That was an easy conclusion for every one to reach. I  have always said that something scared him away at the last minute. People were not willing to consider this at that time because Ballard was seen as God and Irsay the good old guy. Now 6 years in , Daniels looks like a genius for walking away from this mess that has been created by these two,  So all i am asking from fans on this forum is to look objectively at this and the fact that Daniels may have had some legit red flags,. I have always said Bellicheck sat Daniels down and said this is your last chance and you better make it a good one.  Ballard has come out and said that he is stubborn and he had an idea of how he wanted to construct this team. Maybe Daniels went back to him, with a suggestion by Bill, and he wanted more control  in the drafting process. Like I  said, Bill knows a lot of what goes on in the NFL and he may have said stay away. Ballard's way of constructing a team was flawed and Irsay is just ... bat crzy! Yes Daniels bolted and gave his word, but making that decision to come here would have most likely killed his career for ever. Lets be honest, Frank is a Ballard guy because Frank is a pretty good man and i dont think he would put up a fuss.  I think the Daniels and Ballard relationship would not have lasted. Stubborn meets arrogance and that is not a good combo.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is so funny and you maybe correct., however when any other rumor is put out there, fans are all over it when it comes to possible trades and the draft. I have always contended that it was not a simple case of Daniels being untrust worthy ,  as to why he bolted.  That was an easy conclusion for every one to reach. I  have always said that something scared him away at the last minute. People were not willing to consider this at that time because Ballard was seen as God and Irsay the good old guy. Now 6 years in , Daniels looks like a genius for walking away from this mess that has been created by these two,  So all i am asking from fans on this forum is to look objectively at this and the fact that Daniels may have had some legit red flags,. I have always said Bellicheck sat Daniels down and said this is your last chance and you better make it a good one.  Ballard has come out and said that he is stubborn and he had an idea of how he wanted to construct this team. Maybe Daniels went back to him, with a suggestion by Bill, and he wanted more control  in the drafting process. Like I  said, Bill knows a lot of what goes on in the NFL and he may have said stay away. Ballard's way of constructing a team was flawed and Irsay is just ... bat crzy! Yes Daniels bolted and gave his word, but making that decision to come here would have most likely killed his career for ever. Lets be honest, Frank is a Ballard guy because Frank is a pretty good man and i dont think he would put up a fuss.  I think the Daniels and Ballard relationship would not have lasted. Stubborn meets arrogance and that is not a good combo.

McDaniels is doing such an awesome job in Vegas.  

Also why would Irsay be at his house after he accepted the job?

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yep. Plus, somehow Belichick knew the future as to how Ballard will have his roster constructed 6 years down the road... :) 

Grasping and stretching to fit a narrative, classic from the Moose. 

You think Ballard and Daniels would have discussed this? Their vision for the future on how they saw the team and how to build it?f not that does not say much about Ballard as a GM!!. You think they sat around for the hours that the interviewed and played paddy cakes?. Come on man what the hell do you think a GM and futhre coach are going to talk about?? The next issue of Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition? You say i am grasping but come on

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He walked in there and assessed Carr,. I have listened to numerous GMS and they say  Carr leaves way to many plays on the field. He is a Kirk Cousins. Gruden didnt like him and he wanted him to be more aggressive. Raiders D was horrible before Daniels got there. I dont count this year as it is basically a free year for Josh.  Go in there and evaluate and now construct the team in your image. Were you not one of the many guys who defended Ballard on his first year??  Didnt you say we couldnt count Ballard's first year because of Pagano blah blah and so on??  Things that make you go hmmmm. I never judge a coach on his 1st year

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay, and NOT Ballard as one prominent ouster has been banging the drum for way too long.   It wasn’t hard to figure that out.

At that point, Ballard was the new guy and hadn’t done much.  Irsay was more of a known quantity. 

But I’ll say this….   If it turns out that this story is false, and Irsay never went to McDaniel’s home, then Dakich got taken for a ride.   It would be a terrible look for him. 

but Dakich gets paid to stir things up right or wrong.  I don't know anything about the guy DD, but I would guess he didn't  totally make this up.  I would guess there is some word on the street so to speak. Doesn't mean it's true necessarily, but Irsay's a strange cat.

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You think Ballard and Daniels would have discussed this? Their vision for the future on how they saw the team and how to build it?f not that does not say much about Ballard as a GM!!. You think they sat around for the hours that the interviewed and played paddy cakes?. Come on man what the hell do you think a GM and futhre coach are going to talk about?? The next issue of Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition? You say i am grasping but come on

No way, how the roster ended up 6 years down the road is not how it started, so that was less of a factor than what you portray to fit your narrative. Daniels had his questions about Luck, something Reich didn't ask about. Irsay definitely played a factor for sure coming off his recent struggles in the Grigson era but Eberflus was someone both Ballard and Daniels probably agreed on, Guge was Daniels' pick too. So, they obviously intersected plenty but Daniels got cold feet. He would not have accepted if he didn't like the direction for the team and control he had over what he wanted as a HC, he flat out chickened out after his conversation with Bill who convinced him to wait for the "perfect" opportunity later.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, is a saying. You operate on those principles, jumping on everything possible to blast Ballard by stretching and grasping, now jumping on the Daniels support wagon for no reason other than to pile on Ballard. I am not even a big Ballard fan, you can check my history.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Talk shop maybe?  You think that is strange?  I don't.

I find it strange that irsay would be in Massachusetts hanging out at McDaniels house after he committed to the job.   He had a press conference scheduled.   He called and hired coaches. 

I find it very hard to believe

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I find it strange that irsay would be in Massachusetts hanging out at McDaniels house after he committed to the job.   He had a press conference scheduled.   He called and hired coaches. 

He sent his jet to pick him up. I find it strange too. That is when new HCs typically meet the owners, either when they fly in to the hosting/hiring team's facilities for the initial interview or when they are introduced after being hired. 

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I see what you are saying, but Irsay owns a private jet, so it would kind of be like me going to a town 30 minutes away.

i don't believe or disbelieve the story but I certainly don't find it odd that a guy who just hired a guy to run a multi billion dollar team would visit the dude at his house even if it was at the North Pole. 

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No way, how the roster ended up 6 years down the road is not how it started, so that was less of a factor than what you portray to fit your narrative. Daniels had his questions about Luck, something Reich didn't ask about. Irsay definitely played a factor for sure coming off his recent struggles in the Grigson era but Eberflus was someone both Ballard and Daniels probably agreed on, Guge was Daniels' pick too. So, they obviously intersected plenty but Daniels got cold feet. He would not have accepted if he didn't like the direction for the team and control he had over what he wanted as a HC, he flat out chickened out after his conversation with Bill who convinced him to wait for the "perfect" opportunity later.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, is a saying. You operate on those principles, jumping on everything possible to blast Ballard by stretching and grasping, now jumping on the Daniels support wagon for no reason other than to pile on Ballard. I am not even a big Ballard fan, you can check my history.

I hear what you Ballard apologists are saying lol.  But couldn't the same logic be applied to you guys and Irsay?  I mean seriously.   

McDaniel was a successful OC.  I don't think necessarily that Ballard made a bad hire with the dude BTW.  

But I also don't blame the dude for not taking the job for either reason that I know of  1.  He is unsure about Luck and doesn't want to go to a bad team with JB whom he knew as QB.  or   2.  Jimmy Irsay gave his wife the creeps.

But aren't you guys doing the ole enemy of my enemy dude by jumping on everything possible to support Irsay?

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I see what you are saying, but Irsay owns a private jet, so it would kind of be like me going to a town 30 minutes away.

i don't believe or disbelieve the story but I certainly don't find it odd that a guy who just hired a guy to run a multi billion dollar team would visit the dude at his house even if it was at the North Pole. 

All of the talking and negotiations were done.   It would make more sense if he turned them down initially.   Not the night before the press conference and after he hired coaches

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hear what you Ballard apologists are saying lol.  But couldn't the same logic be applied to you guys and Irsay?  I mean seriously.   

McDaniel was a successful OC.  I don't think necessarily that Ballard made a bad hire with the dude BTW.  

But I also don't blame the dude for not taking the job for either reason that I know of  1.  He is unsure about Luck and doesn't want to go to a bad team with JB whom he knew as QB.  or   2.  Jimmy Irsay gave his wife the creeps.

But aren't you guys doing the ole enemy of my enemy dude by jumping on everything possible to support Irsay?

No, if you said it is because of Irsay's issues during the Grigson era following which McDaniels was hired, and questions about Luck, I would have acknowledged those as fair points. But those would have been things he would have considered before he accepted.

But Belichick knew, how Ballard would have his roster 6 years from then, and that is a big part of why McDaniels withdrew, I call baloney on that one. Irsay giving his wife the creeps, he gives me the cringes too when he talks but if I don't have to deal with him and am dealing with the GM all the time, I would be able to compartmentalize. We don't even know it is true.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

No, if you said it is because of Irsay's issues during the Grigson era following which McDaniels was hired, and questions about Luck, I would have acknowledged those as fair points.

But Belichick knew, how Ballard would have his roster 6 years from then, and that is a big part of why McDaniels withdrew, I call baloney on that one. Irsay giving his wife the creeps, he gives me the cringes too when he talks but if I don't have to deal with him and am dealing with the GM all the time, I would be able to compartmentalize. 

OK maybe I was skipping some of the material, because I am definitely with you on the Paragraph 2.  I have respect for Belechik (though his rep will be tarnished if he retires before producing something post TB becasue he didn't do much pre TB), but I don't think he has the Kreskin power to look at our roster 6 years into the future if that is what you were. saying is the basis of the argument.  No that would be some pretty far out crapola. lol. 

Archived