Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

How is 190 lbs not too small for the NFL?

Drew Brees weighed 209 lbs.

Kyler Murray weighs 207 lbs

Young is too small.

Normally when QB's or any player for that matter enter the NFL they usually put on about 20 pounds of muscle, that is just normal. That would put him at about 210. If you look at Jalen Hurts 2 years a go and now, he looks like he has taken Steriods. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Young is too small. 

He probably wont have the longest career but that doesnt mean Bryce cant play period.  Hes going to get drafted high by a real nfl team.  You just have to think about winning soon and not 10-15 years down the road

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Young is too small. 

He probably wont have the longest career but that doesnt mean Bryce cant play period.  Hes going to get drafted high by a real nfl team.  You just have to think about winning soon and not 10-15 years down the road

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I watched a lot of Levis all 22s last night thanks to my antibiotic insomnia. One trend I'm noticing with him is an issue with ball placement. Quite a bit of screen passes failed for the Wildcats because the ball was thrown way too high, and the receiver had to make a leaping jump just to catch it. By the time the ball is caught, the receiver has no time to get their feet set and take off. 

There's a lot things I like about Levis though. Size, arm strength. Release isn't too bad. 

Ball placement has a lot to do with your base and footwork etc. I remember Luck had those issues with the Colts for about the first 2 years or so. He would sail balls a lot. I think its fixable and he did fix it 

Just now, krunk said:

Ball placement has a lot to do with your base and footwork etc. I remember Luck had those issues with the Colts for about the first 2 years or so. He would sail balls a lot. I think its fixable and he did fix it 

Oh it's definitely fixable. It's just something I noticed. 

Another thing standing out in all of these throws, he's got some Aaron Rodgers-esk type of flicks where the ball just goes flying out. Not saying he's anything like Aaron, but it's interesting how easy he makes some of those throws. The talent is obvious. 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

How likely is he to be drafted by your GM Chris Ballard in your honest understanding of his approach to personnel? Does he have any history of drafting undersized players? Theres not much there to say he does. I like Young but knowing the GM i have to say im out.

I am far from the level of knowledge of most on here, but when I think of Levis and UK football and a high draft pick, I can't help but think of Tim Couch.  I know they are from different eras, but UK is not a football/QB school historically.

I don't like UK sports at all, so I know I'm biased, but I can't get the failure of the "sure thing" Tim Couch out of my head.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

How likely is he to be drafted by your GM Chris Ballard in your honest understanding of his approach to personnel?

Hard to say, if Stroud is off the board and Young isnt I think we should definitely pull the trigger.  No telling if he will be there

I know CB likes traits when it comes to defense and Oline.  Guys like Phil, Sam and Matt Ryan didnt have great physical profiles 

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hard to say, if Stroud is off the board and Young isnt I think we should definitely pull the trigger.  No telling if he will be there

I know CB likes traits when it comes to defense and Oline.  Guys like Phil, Sam and Matt Ryan didnt have great physical profiles 

Matt Ryan is 6 ft 4 like just about all of our QBs have been that started for any length of time. Phillip Rivers is at least 6ft 4 or better.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Matt Ryan is 6 ft 4 like just about all of our QBs have been that started for any length of time. Phillip Rivers is at least 6ft 4 or better.

Personally i dont think height is that important, we will have to see what the team does.  Brees and Wilson won super bowls

I dont see how we can pass if hes there and Stroud is gone.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Personally i dont think height is that important, we will have to see what the team does.  Brees and Wilson won super bowls

I would take Young personally. He will add 15 to 20 pounds of muscle like Hurts did, he is accurate and can run a 4.4 40. He also has great leadership.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Its your opinion and youre not the only fan to feel that way but im just pointing out how Ballard has consistently moved. 

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Easy to pass if you dont have him evaluated a certain way on your board according to your criteria.

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Oh it's definitely fixable. It's just something I noticed. 

Another thing standing out in all of these throws, he's got some Aaron Rodgers-esk type of flicks where the ball just goes flying out. Not saying he's anything like Aaron, but it's interesting how easy he makes some of those throws. The talent is obvious. 

Yeah, that's what I noticed, the flick and the ability to hit tight windows.

I think Levis needs a year of NFL coaching.  He's a year behind Young and Stroud but might have a higher ceiling.

Needing a year of coaching usually means the player is not a top 10 pick.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Levis needs a year of NFL coaching.  He's a year behind Young and Stroud but might have a higher ceiling.

Needing a year of coaching usually means the player is not a top 10 pick.

Agreed. He needs more time to improve the skill of reading defenses, specifically blitzes. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am drooling at the fact that Young and Taylor can play together. That would be scary good. Young is also accurate which is overlooked. He and Pitt would be a nice combo.

I don't have any strong feelings about any of this year's QBs ('cept I'm really apprehencios about Richardson), and if Stroud doesn't declare things really muck up, but ........ I wish I had a buck for every time our fan base has suggested "how scary good" our offense is now that we have ...... (insert name here)?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I saw another poster say this yesterday, and I agree... I can see Levis becoming very much like Brett Favre, with proper coaching etc

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. He needs more time to improve the skill of reading defenses, specifically blitzes. 

Yeah but he has been a starter for what, at least 3 years??? The interview is going to be a big part of where Will Levis goes. Jacob Eason had a gun of an arm like Will Levis but couldn't read Ds or blitzes well, so gets drafted in the 4th round as a project and the stuff between his ears wasn't enough for him to stick around. 

Liked Jon Gruden's QB interviews before the draft. I wish ESPN would hire Peyton to do that now and put them on the spot starting with some basic questions and then add some heavy stuff which would be second nature for Peyton with his eyes closed. :)  

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I don't have any strong feelings about any of this year's QBs ('cept I'm really apprehencios about Richardson), and if Stroud doesn't declare things really muck up, but ........ I wish I had a buck for every time our fan base has suggested "how scary good" our offense is now that we have ...... (insert name here)?

Taylor missed over half the season, all I am saying is if healthy and he plays with a super mobile QB that can be really good.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah but he has been a starter for what, at least 3 years??? The interview is going to be a big part of where Will Levis goes. Jacob Eason had a gun of an arm like Will Levis but couldn't read Ds or blitzes well, so gets drafted in the 4th round as a project and the stuff between his ears wasn't enough for him to stick around. 

Liked Jon Gruden's QB interviews before the draft. I wish ESPN would hire Peyton to do that now and put them on the spot starting with some basic questions and then add some heavy stuff which would be second nature for Peyton with his eyes closed. :)  

Oh that would be a fantastic segment honestly. Yes, the interviews are going to be very important for all of the QBs entering the draft. Eason had questions about his work ethic and study habits. If our #4 is used on a QB, I definitely don't want it to be used on someone who isn't willing to put in the required extra work to make it to the next level. We need a kid who's hungry. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Taylor missed over half the season, all I am saying is if healthy and he plays with a super mobile QB that can be really good.

Sorry, mine wasn't any statement against what you suggested, just that it's been said quite a few times over the years, and we've yet to experience such a thing.

27 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I know that, as a group, we're going to run wild with that bottom tweet, but we're going to make two bad assumptions if we don't pull in Young, or Stroud, being:

- The other party needs to be willing to take your offer.

- We have to like someone that much.

It won't stop us, but I feel better saying it.

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We could always sign Carr when he is released.  He is only 31.  Big arm very durable. Only been on one team his entire career hardly a retread.  Use the draft to fix the OL and draft a fast WR1.  Could do worse if you pick or trade up and miss on the quarterback.

From what I read, Carr won’t be released.   But he could get traded.   If Matt Ryan can get traded, so can Derek Carr. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/10/pfts-final-2022-nfl-power-rankings/

We finished with the 4th pick...

But dead last in this Power Ratings:

21. Titans (7-10; No. 19): From 7-3 to 7-10, and plenty of changes coming.

22. Panthers (7-10; No. 23): Steve Wilks did enough to earn that job.

23. Saints (7-10; No. 24): Get a quarterback, and things could get interesting.

24. Jets (7-10; No. 20): Maybe they should sign Geno Smith in free agency.

25. Falcons (7-10; No. 27): Folks may start inching toward the hot seat next year.

26. Raiders (6-11; No. 25):  Why didn’t they pivot to Jarrett Stidham earlier?

27. Rams (5-12; No. 26): The Rams sold their soul for a silver trophy, and the devil showed up sooner than expected to collect.

28. Broncos (5-12; No. 32): They finished on a high note. After way too many low notes.

29. Cardinals (4-13; No. 28): Will they pay for a high-end head coach?

30. Bears (3-14; No. 29): They would have been winless without Justin Fields.

31. Texans (3-12-1; No. 30): The Texans are the gang that couldn’t tank straight.

32. Colts (4-12-1; No. 31): The best part of giving Jeff Saturday the interim coaching job is that it gave Jim Irsay enough evidence to conclude he shouldn’t give Saturday the permanent coaching job.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:54 AM, ClaytonColt said:

I need to visit some other NFL forums yo figure out if it's just Colts fans who have this obsession with having a line made up purely of high draft picks.

We need to look at how successful teams build their lines rather than packing it full of 1st and 2nd round picks. No team has ever been successful with that strategy so why follow it?

- Eagles (SB winner)

- Cowboys (2-time SB winner)

I could go on. Sorry, simply not true. And we don't have "an obsession" with it either. If anything, we've neglected it WAY too much with a few notable exceptions at most. QB and OL are absolutely the two areas this team needs to focus on the most by far in both the draft and FAs. 

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/10/pfts-final-2022-nfl-power-rankings/

We finished with the 4th pick...

But dead last in this Power Ratings:

21. Titans (7-10; No. 19): From 7-3 to 7-10, and plenty of changes coming.

22. Panthers (7-10; No. 23): Steve Wilks did enough to earn that job.

23. Saints (7-10; No. 24): Get a quarterback, and things could get interesting.

24. Jets (7-10; No. 20): Maybe they should sign Geno Smith in free agency.

25. Falcons (7-10; No. 27): Folks may start inching toward the hot seat next year.

26. Raiders (6-11; No. 25):  Why didn’t they pivot to Jarrett Stidham earlier?

27. Rams (5-12; No. 26): The Rams sold their soul for a silver trophy, and the devil showed up sooner than expected to collect.

28. Broncos (5-12; No. 32): They finished on a high note. After way too many low notes.

29. Cardinals (4-13; No. 28): Will they pay for a high-end head coach?

30. Bears (3-14; No. 29): They would have been winless without Justin Fields.

31. Texans (3-12-1; No. 30): The Texans are the gang that couldn’t tank straight.

32. Colts (4-12-1; No. 31): The best part of giving Jeff Saturday the interim coaching job is that it gave Jim Irsay enough evidence to conclude he shouldn’t give Saturday the permanent coaching job.

Not surprising. 

We looked like the worst team in the NFL from day one this season, kept from going 0-17 by some great coaching and playcalling early in the season

Some comparison by Todd Mcshay

Says hes heard from scouts also that CJ is an exceptional leader. He emphasized exceptional

The one flaw in CJ game i saw in another clip i watched was that he struggles with pressure. That can be coached up though i do believe. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not surprising. 

We looked like the worst team in the NFL from day one this season, kept from going 0-17 by some great coaching and playcalling early in the season

Had it not been for Matt Ryan miracles vs the Chiefs and Jags, we may have went 0-16-1, Matt also brought us back to a tie at Houston. If Sam or Foles started every game we may have went 0-17. Matt gave Jeff his only win at Raiders too.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Says hes heard from scouts also that CJ is an exceptional leader. He emphasized exceptional

The one flaw in CJ game i saw in another clip i watched was that he struggles with pressure. That can be coached up though i do believe. 

I think if he learns to trust his legs and create more that will go a long way into fixing that. Something we saw glimpses of against Georgia.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had it not been for Matt Ryan miracles vs the Chiefs and Jags, we may have went 0-16-1, Matt also brought us back to a tie at Houston. If Sam or Foles started every game we may have went 0-17. Matt gave Jeff his only win at Raiders too.

Meh, it goes with coaching.  Should have won WAS with Sam if the D didn't give up its first Hale Mary of the season.  

But we looked like the worst team in the NFL when we were down 20-3 at HOU the very first game.  It never really got any better other than a couple of first halves against Phil and Dallas.  The MIN game was a fluky lead.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

It depends.  If he is pain intolerant, he may crumble instead of standing tall.   A question mark for QBs who have had it pretty easy.  NFL dlinemen are another step up.  Ballard will need to look at his history and make that call.

Archived