Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damar Hamlin

CR91

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Not disagreeing but he’s not wrong here. That does sound like the question the league is trying to figure out. Apparently they have no plan for something like this

The problem is everyone should just use their heart and agree that they'll figure that stuff out later. Some people are heartless, though.

Here's what I have read:

Medical staff was performing CPR on the field. When they stopped, he had a pulse, but was not breathing on his own. They loaded him up, and ambulance waited for his mother to come down and ride with him to the hospital, which is apparently about five minutes from the stadium. He arrived at the hospital a few minutes later.

Meanwhile, the teams went back to the locker rooms, and I think we all knew that the game was not going to be played for the rest of the night. It was pretty obvious looking at the two coaches that they weren't sending their guys back out tonight.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

The problem is everyone should just use their heart and agree that they'll figure that stuff out later. Some people are heartless, though.

Here's what I have read:

Medical staff was performing CPR on the field. When they stopped, he had a pulse, but was not breathing on his own. They loaded him up, and ambulance waited for his mother to come down and ride with him to the hospital, which is apparently about five minutes from the stadium. He arrived at the hospital a few minutes later.

Meanwhile, the teams went back to the locker rooms, and I think we all knew that the game was not going to be played for the rest of the night. It was pretty obvious looking at the two coaches that they weren't sending their guys back out tonight.

Oh I agree

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's at the hospital in critical condition, and has been intubated, based on Twitter reports. Internet doctors say intubation is SOP after respiratory arrest. Hopefully it means he's still alive and has been stabilized. 

Hopefully the onfield care limited the internal damage and this kid makes a full recovery. Prayers 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hopefully the onfield care limited the internal damage and this kid makes a full recovery. Prayers 

What makes me nervous is not knowing how quickly they determined that he needed CPR, how long it took them to get his pads off, etc. And it's possible that they stabilized his pulse but he was without oxygen for too long... It gives me a little optimism that they waited for his mom to get to the ambulance, which I assume they wouldn't do if he was unresponsive. 

And coincidentally, I was watching the USC/Tulane game earlier today, and they showed Devon Walker in the stands, in his wheelchair. I remembered some of his story once they repeated it, but they even showed some video. He took a hit, had a serious injury, and medical staff had to perform CPR on the field, which was shown in the footage. He's paralyzed from the neck down. 

https://www.wdsu.com/article/tulane-football-player-cotton-bowl-surprise/42285706

Hopefully Hamlin is okay and makes a full physical recovery. But seeing a similar situation happen the same night is kind of eerie.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

What makes me nervous is not knowing how quickly they determined that he needed CPR, how long it took them to get his pads off, etc. And it's possible that they stabilized his pulse but he was without oxygen for too long... It gives me a little optimism that they waited for his mom to get to the ambulance, which I assume they wouldn't do if he was unresponsive. 

And coincidentally, I was watching the USC/Tulane game earlier today, and they showed Devon Walker in the stands, in his wheelchair. I remembered some of his story once they repeated it, but they even showed some video. He took a hit, had a serious injury, and medical staff had to perform CPR on the field, which was shown in the footage. He's paralyzed from the neck down. 

https://www.wdsu.com/article/tulane-football-player-cotton-bowl-surprise/42285706

Hopefully Hamlin is okay and makes a full physical recovery. But seeing a similar situation happen the same night is kind of eerie.

Same thing I thought. That said, they usually grab a relative for anything like this to accompany if possible. While it is said that this is done so that no patient is alone without a familiar face, it’s usually to answer medical questions during the ride if needed.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That’s a good point and hopefully wasn’t a factor for him. What’s wild is that didn’t seem like an crazy hard hit. Must’ve been at such a specific spot that it didn’t take much pressure to cause what happened.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

That’s a good point and hopefully wasn’t a factor for him. What’s wild is that didn’t seem like an crazy hard hit. Must’ve been at such a specific spot that it didn’t take much pressure to cause what happened.

I hate to speculate but it makes me wonder if he had an underlying health issue.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Same thing I thought. That said, they usually grab a relative for anything like this to accompany if possible. The politically correct phrase is so that no patient is alone without a familiar face but it’s usually to answer medical questions during the ride if needed 

They said his mother was in the ambulance with him when he was being transported 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I hate to speculate but it makes me wonder if he had an underlying health issue.

It’s very Possible. There was a high school varsity basketball player here in Indiana not long ago that died after a layup. Just collapsed

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Could very well be. Young guy with an issue that goes undetected, it happens. I had a slight irregularity to my heartbeat and only found out in my mid twenties.

Yep. It could very well be the impact stopped his heart or his lungs. Or a rib busted and punctured his heart or lungs. Who knows

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Could very well be. Young guy with an issue that goes undetected, it happens. I had a slight irregularity to my heartbeat and only found out in my mid twenties.

I had a similar experience with being diagnosed with diabetes. It went undetected till I was around 40sh. By the time I got the diagnosis my kidneys were damaged. Even though I have had the diabetes under control unfortunately my kidneys are damaged beyond repair. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I had a similar experience with being diagnosed with diabetes. It went undetected till I was around 40sh. By the time I got the diagnosis my kidneys were damaged. Even though I have had the diabetes under control unfortunately my kidneys are damaged beyond repair. 

That’s terrible to hear and I’m sorry. Makes you realize how important health is. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Kids a 6th round pick too, so likely not making a ton comparatively speaking 

I would hope he’s being taken care of by the team/NFLPA for medical expenses.

29 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I would hope he’s being taken care of by the team/NFLPA for medical expenses.

Not that it matters right now but the expenses absolutely will be covered by the team and league. Just like any injury that happens on the job.

Let's say there's a situation where a player lied about or hid an underlying health condition, maybe lawyers would get involved. In this specific situation, I could not see that happening.

Just now, Superman said:

Not that it matters right now but the expenses absolutely will be covered by the team and league. Just like any injury that happens on the job.

Let's say there's a situation where a player lied about or hid an underlying health condition, maybe lawyers would get involved. In this specific situation, I could not see that happening.

Not with the attention being given. Would make them out to be the absolute villains.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=undefined

This is Damars charity. He only wanted $2500 but has received over $900k in the last hour. There are some lovely people out there

45 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

As I posted on the other forum discussing this situation. I imagine they were always going to fly home tonight and there would not be a lot of accomodation available at the last minute being a game night

Yeah and I am sure the players want to be with their family after tonight and vice versa, I mean some of these guys have kids who aren’t going to believe daddy is okay until they see him in person.  

1 hour ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=undefined

This is Damars charity. He only wanted $2500 but has received over $900k in the last hour. There are some lovely people out there

Well this has now reached 2.5 million dollars!!!! Great effort from everyone esp bills mafia

Like all of you, I hope the young man fully recovers so he can live a normal productive life.   I don’t care if he plays football again,  I just want him happy and as healthy as he can be.   

As for the game, coming this late in the schedule, I think the league should call it a tie.  I don’t see when they could reschedule the game?   Sometimes there are no good solutions, so try to pick the least bad option.   I think a tie would be it. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not sure, but here's one doctor's explanation of what might have happened 

That is what my friend told me without all the medical jargon. He is a long time Giants season-ticket holder and I asked him if he has ever seen anything like that live. He said no and added:

It's an incredibly rare injury - a major blow to chest at a moment in the cardiac cycle that causes immediate arrest. It is more common in baseball when ball hits batter in chest. Never heard it happening in football.

Archived