Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damar Hamlin

CR91

That's really scary stuff. I hope he recovers fully. :( 

There was a case in soccer a few years ago when at a European championship game Danish captain Christian Eriksen collapsed even without any hit or a contact with opponent or the ball. CPR and defibrilation were administered on the field and he was transported to hospital(game was suspended) where later it was confirmed he suffered cardiac arrest. But unlike in this case, a few hours later news came that he's in stable condition and awake... He recovered and made full return to play about 10 months later. There seems to be various different outcomes in such situations depending on the root cause and on how quickly the emergency medical care was administered. In some cases if the brain hasn't received oxygen for too long there might be permanent brain damage, other cases require retirement but the player at least is alive and in relatively good shape to have a good life outside of playing. 

Sending positive thoughts and vibes his way and hope for the best possible outcome. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that some players and other teams sent out tweets regarding Hamlin.  Does anyone know if any Colts players or the Colts team sent out any tweets? This forum is the closest to social media I engage in, so I don’t know what’s out there but just wondering if anyone saw anything from our guys.

9 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I saw that some players and other teams sent out tweets regarding Hamlin.  Does anyone know if any Colts players or the Colts team sent out any tweets? This forum is the closest to social media I engage in, so I don’t know what’s out there but just wondering if anyone saw anything from our guys.

I saw Paris Campbell and Jim Irsay both tweet asking for prayers to Damar 

5 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

There might be more... 

1 minute ago, Myles said:

It'll be interesting to see when they finish the game.   The game had lots of meaning for the #1 seed and playoff positioning.  

Doubtful we know today. Teams around the NFL have been cancelling meetings and media sessions. Everyone is shook by this. I imagine no one really cares about football until they hear more about Damar’s status. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It'll be interesting to see when they finish the game.   The game had lots of meaning for the #1 seed and playoff positioning.  

I say just call the game a tie. I just have a hard time believing Bills and even Bengals players will wanna play that game again. Maybe find a way to schedule it for next year if possible. 

I don’t see anyway to make it fair unless it is played. A tie doesn’t work. A loss each certainly doesn’t work. Giving them both automatic wins seems the most fair but again unfair to all the other playoff teams it will impact. 

NFL has announced they will not play/continue this game this week at all. No other word other than that.

29 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

So judging by everything we know he will survive...I'm sure he will never truly be "ok" though. But better than what couldve happened.

I sure hope that is the case!

2 hours ago, Myles said:

very interesting.. i just dont know how Bills would take having to go to arrowhead again because of something out of their control. losing 4 straight superbowls are unlucky enough.. this is just terribly heartbreaking

27 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

very interesting.. i just dont know how Bills would take having to go to arrowhead again because of something out of their control. losing 4 straight superbowls are unlucky enough.. this is just terribly heartbreaking

Well, since they went to 7 teams, the No.1 seed in either conference has not won the SB. Granted, it is just 3 years of data but the Bills have won at Arrowhead before, so have the Bengals. Chiefs will most likely make the AFCCG, that is all you can guarantee out of this, making it 5 years in a row for Mahomes.

With this sad event in mind, I go back to Kayvon Thibodeaux lying on his back making an angel next to Foles as he shook and twisted in pain. Classless and ignorant as he claimed he did not know Foles was hurt! At minimum, they should have flagged the fool for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

41 minutes ago, King Colt said:

With this sad event in mind, I go back to Kayvon Thibodeaux lying on his back making an angel next to Foles as he shook and twisted in pain. Classless and ignorant as he claimed he did not know Foles was hurt! At minimum, they should have flagged the fool for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

If you look at the replay, he did look to his right a few snow angels later, and I am surprised his teammate didn't ask him to stop it and get off the field. 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

They have to determine a winner and a loser.   Cincy was up 7-3, right.  If nothing else, give Cincy the win and the Bills the loss so that playoff seeding can be seen.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

They have to determine a winner and a loser.   Cincy was up 7-3, right.  If nothing else, give Cincy the win and the Bills the loss so that playoff seeding can be seen.  

Being up 7-3 with two really good offenses going at each other is no indication of how the game will go.

The Bucs were up on the Bengals 17-3 for crying out loud and lost 23-34. 

Either give both teams a win or call it a tie. I know that ends Baltimore's chances of not winning the division. Giving both of them a win preserves the AFC seeding as is. There is no perfect solution once they decided the game won't be resumed this week, IMO.

It is going to screw some team but the goal here is to be considerate for the Bills and Bengals more than the others, I am thinking that is the angle the NFL will be approaching it from.

Just now, chad72 said:

Being up 7-3 with two really good offenses going at each other is no indication of how the game will go.

Either give both teams a win or call it a tie. I know that ends Baltimore's chances of not winning the division. Giving both of them a win preserves the AFC seeding as is.

I'm not saying it would be ideal but they will have to base a decision on something and the score is all they have.   Can't give each team a win.   A tie they can do.  

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah everything is crazy. Not big in the grand scheme of things but I'm pretty sure most fantasy championships are in limbo too. My Buddy has Joe burrow down 8 points to win the Chip against the league cheater haha everyone is rooting for this dude

4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Yeah everything is crazy. Not big in the grand scheme of things but I'm pretty sure most fantasy championships are in limbo too. My Buddy has Joe burrow down 8 points to win the Chip against the league cheater haha everyone is rooting for this dude

I also have Burrow in my league along with Higgins. I am down 11 points as it stands. :dunno:

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Yeah we're all doing that. I just can't hand out money when a game was completed. So I may have to have co-winners if this Bengals bills game never finishes 

I think they will finish the game.  There are a lot of ramifications in the playoffs. 

Not to mention the gambling aspect of it too. 

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think they will finish the game.  There are a lot of ramifications in the playoffs. 

Not to mention the gambling aspect of it too. 

I don’t think they’ll play it. That would mean 3 game in 10 days time. Going into the play offs…

I really think they only have two options, maybe 3. 

they either tie the game

Bengals win 7-3 

or the move/ cancel the pro bowl and move the playoffs all back a week just to play a single game.  But this last one would cost a fortune and not likely to happen

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Either give both teams a win or call it a tie. I know that ends Baltimore's chances of not winning the division. Giving both of them a win preserves the AFC seeding as is. There is no perfect solution once they decided the game won't be resumed this week, IMO.

It is going to screw some team but the goal here is to be considerate for the Bills and Bengals more than the others, I am thinking that is the angle the NFL will be approaching it from.

Yea. I mean the colts were up like 33-0 on the Vikings and had it happened in the colts game the Vikings would have been cheated if the colts got the automatic win due to such a situation.

In my opinion what the league may do is go ahead and play out the final week and see just how the possible win/loss for each team impacts the seeding. If it’s a minimal impact and perhaps doesn’t change anything perhaps they would call it a tie…or they find a way to squeeze the game in if necessary.

4 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I don’t see anyway to make it fair unless it is played. A tie doesn’t work. A loss each certainly doesn’t work. Giving them both automatic wins seems the most fair but again unfair to all the other playoff teams it will impact. 

NFL has announced they will not play/continue this game this week at all. No other word other than that.

Have all 32 teams agree on flipping a coin and adhere to the result. Bengals were home team, they call heads or tails and problem solved 

31 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Have all 32 teams agree on flipping a coin and adhere to the result. Bengals were home team, they call heads or tails and problem solved 

I think adopt a college overtime situation. Less wear on the players given the number of games in the days before the post season and can be done much quicker.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Are Bengals and Bills players even going to want to play this weekend? Or the rest of the league for that matter? I know the NFL has stated that games will be played as scheduled, but man… This is going to be tough for those two teams at the very least. 

If Brett Favre can play a few days after his Dad died, if the Colts players could play a few days after Dungy's son committed suicide, yes the Bengals and Bills players can play if they wanted to. It would not be seen as a sign of disrespect or being heartless whatsoever towards Damar, players playing their games, IMO. We know what their hearts will be heavy for and how much support and prayers there will be for Damar.

2 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Why? If Damar were my son (and yeah, I am old enough to be his Dad), I would not be expecting people to hold up their lives knowing that I have their support and prayers for my son and his well being all the time. The teams should carry on with their games as they were intended this weekend and it would not be considered disrespectful or lack of love for Damar whatsoever, IMO. Bills vs Bengals, the league has a decision to make and no decision they take will make both the Bills and Bengals happy unless they duke it out on the field when it is all said and done. 

There is no "one glove fits all" approach for grieving and showing respect in the wake of a tragedy.

This one hits home... I didn't watch the game but prayers are sent for sure. I hope he makes a full recovery. 

I am a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) survivor. I was 29 (2008) at the time with NO underlying heart issues. As we will learn more about this story through facts and medical tests it could have been been perfect timing of the hit or underlying or just something that happened. 

The reason for my SCA was VFib ( heart rhythm) the cause still UNKNOWN today.  I have had genetic testing done with negative results but one of my doctors has planned on getting a broader test done, the issues with the studies on Covid had put that on hold, so I am hoping to get done in the near future (basic heart and arrhythmia genetic testing was $24,000) but the doctor said he has some resources to get what he wants done funded and this is why the test was put on hold with the pandemic the resources were tied up obviously. 

Doctors had thought I had Brugda Syndrome , which is one of issues that has been seen in some sports players collapsing in recent history. 

I can tell you first hand one of the worst things a Doctor can tell you is " We don't know"  

Big shout out to the first responders at the game.  

According to CNN his uncle reportedly said that he was resuscitated twice. Once on the field and a second time at the hospital. They’ve turned his oxygen down to 50% from 100% to try to get him breathing on his own. This definitely was no minor incident. I’d expect he likely will remain in the ICU for at least another week or two and hopefully he will be able to be moved out of the ICU. 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Why? If Damar were my son (and yeah, I am old enough to be his Dad), I would not be expecting people to hold up their lives knowing that I have their support and prayers for my son and his well being all the time. The teams should carry on with their games as they were intended this weekend and it would not be considered disrespectful or lack of love for Damar whatsoever, IMO. Bills vs Bengals, the league has a decision to make and no decision they take will make both the Bills and Bengals happy unless they duke it out on the field when it is all said and done. 

There is no "one glove fits all" approach for grieving and showing respect in the wake of a tragedy.

Maybe you misunderstood, I'm talking about coin toss the Bills/Bengals game. Not all the upcoming games this weekend. Chances are one team or the other was going to win either way and not end in a tie. Accept the result and move on with lives as you stated. Whatever result of coin toss ends with, things move on, playoff seeding etc. Realistically, whoever loses coin toss is not going to be happy along with teams in contention it affects. But that's life and emphasizes some things are more important than others. Sometimes we complicate things more than they need to. 

7 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

According to CNN his uncle reportedly said that he was resuscitated twice. Once on the field and a second time at the hospital. They’ve turned his oxygen down to 50% from 100% to try to get him breathing on his own. This definitely was no minor incident. I’d expect he likely will remain in the ICU for at least another week or two and hopefully he will be able to be moved out of the ICU. 

Yeah it took a few weeks for that Bills special teams player that was immobilized and taken to the hospital (Everett, I think), to get back to be able to address folks from the hospital. The goal is the same, be able to get him back to breathing normally and on his feet to live his life, football becomes secondary.

Just now, SOMDColtsfan said:

Maybe you misunderstood, I'm talking about coin toss the Bills/Bengals game. Not all the upcoming games this weekend. Chances are one team or the other was going to win either way and not end in a tie. Accept the result and move on with lives as you stated. Whatever result of coin toss ends with, things move on, playoff seeding etc. Realistically, whoever loses coin toss is not going to be happy along with teams in contention it affects. But that's life and emphasizes some things are more important than others. Sometimes we complicate things more than they need to. 

Gotcha. I thought you implied every single team do the same, my bad. :) 

On 1/2/2023 at 9:56 PM, csmopar said:

Not disagreeing but he’s not wrong here. That does sound like the question the league is trying to figure out. Apparently they have no plan for something like this

It seems like some people are focusing om the first part of Bayless' comments, and giving no weight whatsoever to the last part, where he added "...which suddenly seems so irrelevant". In my mind, this last part is an acknowledgment that any scheduling issues seemed irrelevant compared to the gravity of Hamlin's situation. I think people need to lighten up and not be so quick to assume the worst intentions in other people.

28 minutes ago, masterlock said:

It seems like some people are focusing om the first part of Bayless' comments, and giving no weight whatsoever to the last part, where he added "...which suddenly seems so irrelevant". In my mind, this last part is an acknowledgment that any scheduling issues seemed irrelevant compared to the gravity of Hamlin's situation. I think people need to lighten up and not be so quick to assume the worst intentions in other people.

Bayless has been saying controversial comments for many years.  He is paid handsomely for making statements that are argumentative.  He is a shock jock journalist.  

Archived