Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck talks about why he walked away

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

City not really

fans sure but fans were never entitled to seeing him play.  Also, the vast majority of people in the world would pick family over fans.

Colts yes and he said he regrets that.  He said it’s his biggest regret of his career.  He can’t do it over so all he can do is say he regrets it snd wishes it went down a different way which he did here.  

yes he screwed the fans ,he took the money to entertain us and we paid to see him play

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, stitches said:

This is a great article. WOW! It's really long but I would advise any Colts fan to read it. It sheds a lot of light on the progression of his state of mind through the years of his injuries and reasons why he retired so abruptly. No idea why some of you guys are getting it blocked(maybe because I'm not in the US I get the full article)... but it's definitely an essential read if you want to have a better understanding of the events that lead to that retirement and what's to follow for him. Huge props to Seth Wickersham first for getting the access to talk to Luck on the record(noone else was able to do that.. .even our local journalists who lived in the same community with Luck for the last 10 years)...  and then for doing that story justice. IMO this is a great storytelling journalism and it really paints a picture and gives better view for us as fans about what actually happened. This is narrative journalism at its best.

I loved Luck. He is the reason I'm a Colts fan now. Wish the guy nothing but the best in his life, even though his retirement was quite possibly one of the most traumatic and painful moments of my sports fandom in any sport. 

That’s where I am at.  As a fan sure I was sad he retired and what it did to the team.  As a fellow human being who is grateful for the joy he brought me as fan though I am glad he’s healthy and happy.  No amount of winning for me as a fan would have been worth him wrecking his personal life over which if you read the article he came very close to doing.  

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why do you keep asking questions?   It seems like you are the one with the point to make without wanting to actually make it.

No Doug, I’ve made my point. I believe, based on Luck’s own words, the actions taken by him and the team, that he went through a significant injury, which took a long time to heal. One of which he worked hard to recover from. Working with several doctors, team trainers, and the doctor in Europe. I think the whole process led to internal strife, coupled with his singular focus on football, which led to relationship issues. He drew a line in the sand to no longer put himself through that and the rest is history.

You doubt the authenticity of this. I’m curious as to what facts you have to support your theory. Thus the questions.

Just now, Flash7 said:

No Doug, I’ve made my point. I believe, based on Luck’s own words, the actions taken by him and the team, that he went through a significant injury, which took a long time to heal. One of which he worked hard to recover from. Working with several doctors, team trainers, and the doctor in Europe. I think the whole process led to internal strife, coupled with his singular focus on football, which led to relationship issues. He drew a line in the sand to no longer put himself through that and the rest is history.

You doubt the authenticity of this. I’m curious as to what facts you have to support your theory. Thus the questions.

He has none because there are none.  Again, this article got it straight from the horses mouth so to speak and that’s still not good enough.  Some people just refuse to believe the truth even when they are smacked in the face with it because it’s not what they want to be true.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm with those who stated that his retirement didn't bother them, it was the when that bothered them.

And Luck has said he regrets it.  He even called it the biggest regret of his career.  He can’t undo it or do it over.  So this is all he can do.  Not saying you are one of these people but some are still mad at him for it.  At some point people have to forgive.  Yeah it sucks for the franchise but we are talking about a game.  No one should give up their personal happiness and family for a game.  If people can’t understand that, especially after reading this, to me that says more about them than it does about Luck.  Again, I am not saying you are one of those who is still angry at him.

23 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The authenticity of this paragraph is not the issue I have raised. (and has nothing to do with the issue of medical corroboration of the lingering pain).   None of this detracts from the idea that he did not...ever...possess enough of a hero personality to stick with football.

You seem to suggest that he had such a personality simply because he actually played football, but that he went through extraordinary bouts of pain and injury that it got beat out of him.  

Maybe a non-love for the role of franchise QB made everything just that much more difficult to him than it does for other players who love the role more?  When in a role of high responsibility, does he have an obsession to do well for others that makes set backs a little more depressing? 

You seem to look at this like he was the normal hero brained NFL player who became a victim of excessive injury or somebody else's decisions, and ignoring that his personality may be why he chose to retire sooner than other players who have injuries.  Possibly even obsessing over pain levels, convinced there is something wrong when there is not, that other players might not have obsessed over.

Has he had more setbacks than Hooker, Blackmon, or Parris Campbell?  One difference.  He's got $125M and they don't.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Does the article refer to more of a medical reason for the lingering pain than what this poster typed?

Also in the article.

Three different doctors had three different theories on why he was still in pain after surgery and rehab. It was at that point he went to the trainer who became a very trusted friend, who said go to Europe. 

From what it sounds like, he was never able to truly pinpoint why he was still in pain.

So its safe to say that there has never been a medical reason disclosed for why he had the lingering pain that extended his rehab?  IOW, what I said was right, he didn't disclose a medical reason because there was never a medical reason found. 

And from this you are accusing me of having a conspiracy theory about whether or not he had a shoulder injury.  

Making sure you saw this post.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Making sure you saw this post.

Just to clarify, my post was in support that he did indeed have a shoulder injury, and that his pain was real. I don't think his pain was imaginary or just all in his head and the article confirms that. I'm not sure where you're at with your opinion of the situation. 

The pain was the mirror and catalyst for Andrew seeing himself as someone beyond a superstar QB. I don't believe he had some ulterior motive back in 2012 when drafted that he would just walk away from football early. He clearly was prepared to do whatever was necessary to be the Peyton Manning replacement early in his career. It wasn't UNTIL the pain started that he slowed down, looked into the mirror and didn't like what he had become to be that kind of leader. 

I'm telling and imploring you, read the article because it's excellent journalism and writing. 

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Just to clarify, my post was in support that he did indeed have a shoulder injury, and that his pain was real. I don't think his pain was imaginary or just all in his head and the article confirms that. I'm not sure where you're at with your opinion of the situation. 

The pain was the mirror and catalyst for Andrew seeing himself as someone beyond a superstar QB. I don't believe he had some ulterior motive back in 2012 when drafted that he would just walk away from football early. He clearly was prepared to do whatever was necessary to be the Peyton Manning replacement early in his career. It wasn't UNTIL the pain started that he slowed down, looked into the mirror and didn't like what he had become to be that kind of leader. 

I'm telling and imploring you, read the article because it's excellent journalism and writing. 

The comment I quoted that started this thing about the pain issue was @NewColtsFan's comment that Irsay was WRONG, it was not about "between his ears". Andrew actually had pain.

See what he's doing.  He's equating the statement of "between his ears" with the idea that Irsay thinks Andrew does NOT have pain, and he's lying about it.  Then criticizing Irsay for having that thought.

No, thinking that Andrew did not have pain and lying about it is not the basis of "between is ears".  Its the idea that Andrew still thinks something is wrong with his body, when there is no clinical support for it.

What it means is this...and the article confirms....that Andrew sought multiple doctors to uncover what was still  "wrong" with his shoulder because he was having lingering pain.   He did not believe the first, or the second, or the third who had "theories" but found nothing....but then went to Europe. (And to this day, corroborated by the article that has yet to reveal any medical condition for the reported pain),

Does that sound just a little bit like obsessive hypocondria?   You know, you get a cough for three days and you are convinced its lung cancer, and you see three doctors who tell you they can't find anything.  So you then see a 4th.

By this time, his friend the trainer tells him to go to Europe to "get away from football".  Not to do something tangible like get a 4th medical diagnosis.  Not a tangible solution...but a MENTAL solution.  Get away from it.

Sounds to me like the trainer also realized that Andrews extended rehab....missing a second full season...was indeed because of what was going on between his ears.   Irsay was right...evidence suggests that it WAS between his ears.....but that doesn't mean that Andrew was lying about pain or that he didn't think he still had an injury.

And, the exact same dynamic happened with the leg.  He had pain, but doctors couldn't find the source, and Andrew convinced himself he was going to have to go through a continuous cycle of injury and rehab when at that point he didn't have an injury and didn't need rehab.   

Meanwhile, Parris Campbell is actually going through a cycle of injury and rehab and still reports to work every day when he can, as soon as he can.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The comment I quoted that started this thing about the pain issue was @NewColtsFan's comment that Irsay was WRONG, it was not about "between his ears". Andrew actually had pain.

See what he's doing.  He's equating the statement of "between his ears" with the idea that Irsay thinks Andrew does NOT have pain, and he's lying about it.  Then criticizing Irsay for having that thought.

No, thinking that Andrew did not have pain and lying about it is not the basis of "between is ears".  Its the idea that Andrew still thinks something is wrong with his body, when there is no clinical explanation for it.

What it means is this...and the article confirms....that Andrew sought multiple doctors to uncover what was still  "wrong" with his shoulder because he was having lingering pain.   He did not believe the first, or the second, or the third who had "theories" but found nothing....but then went to Europe. (And to this day, corroborated by the article that has yet to reveal any medical condition Luck had),

Does that sound just a little bit like obsessive hypocondria?   You know, you get a cough for three days and you are convinced its lung cancer, and you see three doctors who tell you they can't find anything.  So you then see a 4th.

By this time, his friend the trainer tells him to go to Europe to "get away from football".  Not to do something tangilble like get a 4th medical diagnosis.  Not a tangible solution...but a MENTAL solution.  Get away from it.

Sounds to me like the trainer also realized that Andrews extended rehab....missing a second full season...was indeed because of what was going on between his ears.   Irsay was right...evidence suggests that it WAS between his ears.....but that doesn't mean that Andrew was lying about pain.

And, the exact same dynamic happened with the leg.  He had pain, but doctors couldn't find the source, and Andrew convinced himself he was going to have to go through a continuous cycle of injury and rehab when at that point he didn't have an injury and didn't need rehab.   

Meanwhile, Parris Campbell is actually going through a cycle of injury and rehab and still reports to work every day when he can, as soon as he can.

What Parris is going through is not the same. For one, Luck already proved that he could play at a high level before the injuries happened. His first three seasons proved that. Parris meanwhile is trying to show that he can play at a high level and has not proved it yet. I would copy and paste some of the article in here that goes through the details, but it's against the rules. I don't understand why you refuse to read it... 

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

What Parris is going through is not the same. For one, Luck already proved that he could play at a high level before the injuries happened. His first three seasons proved that. Parris meanwhile is trying to show that he can play at a high level and has not proved it yet. I would copy and paste some of the article in here that goes through the details, but it's against the rules. I don't understand why you refuse to read it... 

I understand.  The difference is that PC wants $125M while Andrew already had it.  You don't think the two of them approach how they think about their bodies a little differently under those extremely different circumstances.  Andrew has the luxury of thinking that he has an unhealed injury that will be aggravated if he plays, PC does not.   

Why read it when people post relevant facts here, like the article has not revealed any medical condition for either pain issue in these subsequent years?  Getting facts is the point of discussion.

Edit:  Bottom line, does the article tell us the medical reasons for why Andrew had pain and that Irsay was wrong to categorize the issue as being between Andrew's ears?

When it comes to Football yes it is just a game. But it is a game that unifies thousands of fans that spend thousands of dollars to watch just a game. I will not debate how I feel on this because its just my opinion. 

We gave up our 1st overall pick on him. A pick we do not see often.

And then nine days before the season he calls it quits.

He signed a contract and you don't just get to quit. I feel like we as fans got scammed. Fans invest a lot of time and money for the love of this game. If you sign a contract maybe you should think about not skiing, maybe you should think about the money a business has invested in you. If that's your true passion and football is not then wait until the end of your contract and retire. 

Players know the risk before they sign contracts. Its all one big excuse. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I don't understand why you refuse to read it... 

Just one thing about articles in general.  I read articles for facts that might be unintentionally introduced, not the author's rendition or even Andrew's view of them.  Sometimes, when the author is trying to make a point, he supports it with facts that lead one to form an opinion about something else.

He says sort of out of hand how Luck enjoys skiiing.  Enjoys cycling.  Enjoys fishing.  I don't know or care if the author was trying to make a point about it.  What I know is that those are sports that tell me Luck has an introverted personality that doesn't like being in the spotlight of other people., doesn't like other people's success or failure being dependent upon how well he does his job.  Combined with a deep conscience, it makes him obsess over doing things well so that he won't let others down.   I don't need the author to tell me that.  Its a personality that is not consistent with enjoying being an NFL QB.  Andrew could enjoy it if he had no conscience, like Jay Cutler.  Cutler didn't care one bit that his performance lets others down.  Jay can even be an isolationist loner and still enjoy earning money as an NFL QB simply because he can just tune others out, because he doesn't give a * about them.  (And its possible that Wentz rubs people that way too.)

Based upon the few facts, combined with knowledge and experience I already have, I see Andrew's personality as being the main driver of him not still playing rather than the idea that he secretly wants to play, if it wasn't for recurring injury.  I don't need to read the article for clarity of that opinion or support.  If the author is telling me otherwise, he's wrong.  He's just a guy with an opinion about the facts he sees.  Not inherently better than mine.

And with 7 pages of discussion, if the article actually contained meaningful facts about the medical conditions discovered that caused the lingering pain, somebody would have posted it by now.  So I don't need to read the article to know that the article doesn't talk about those important facts.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And Luck has said he regrets it.  He even called it the biggest regret of his career.  He can’t undo it or do it over.  So this is all he can do.  Not saying you are one of these people but some are still mad at him for it.  At some point people have to forgive.  Yeah it sucks for the franchise but we are talking about a game.  No one should give up their personal happiness and family for a game.  If people can’t understand that, especially after reading this, to me that says more about them than it does about Luck.  Again, I am not saying you are one of those who is still angry at him.

I was over it shortly after it happened.  Nothing I can do at that point.  When I think of Luck, several things pop in my head:

Bummed that he quit when he did

Sad that he never got to a status that would last the rest of his life (one of the best ever).

Understanding why he did it.  Being independently wealthy for the rest of your life would have me retiring too.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Just one thing about articles in general.  I read articles for facts that might be unintentionally introduced, not the author's rendition or even Andrew's view of them.  Sometimes, when the author is trying to make a point, he supports it with facts that lead one to form an opinion about something else.

He says sort of out of hand how Luck enjoys skiiing.  Enjoys cycling.  Enjoys fishing.  I don't know or care if the author was trying to make a point about it.  What I know is that those are sports that tell me Luck has an introverted personality that doesn't like being in the spotlight of other people., doesn't like other people's success or failure being dependent upon how well he does his job.  Combined with a deep conscience, it makes him obsess over doing things well so that he won't let others down.   I don't need the author to tell me that.  Its a personality that is not consistent with enjoying being an NFL QB.  Andrew could enjoy it if he had no conscience, like Jay Cutler.  Cutler didn't care one bit that his performance lets others down.  Jay can even be an isolationist loner and still enjoy earning money as an NFL QB simply because he can just tune others out, because he doesn't give a * about them.  (And its possible that Wentz rubs people that way too.)

Based upon the few facts, combined with knowledge and experience I already have, I see Andrew's personality as being the main driver of him not still playing rather than the idea that he secretly wants to play, if it wasn't for recurring injury.  I don't need to read the article for clarity of that opinion or support.  If the author is telling me otherwise, he's wrong.  He's just a guy with an opinion about the facts he sees.  Not inherently better than mine.

And with 7 pages of discussion, if the article actually contained meaningful facts about the medical conditions discovered that caused the lingering pain, somebody would have posted it by now.  So I don't need to read the article to know that the article doesn't talk about those important facts.

I have stayed out of this thread mostly, but I believe there is an excerpt from this article that heavily implies there were multiple aspects of being an NFL QB that he didn't relish.

The archive link is broken now, so I am going by memory...but I believe having to be in control of everything was a big one.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I was over it shortly after it happened.  Nothing I can do at that point.  When I think of Luck, several things pop in my head:

Sad that he never got to a status that would last the rest of his life (one of the best ever).

Understanding why he did it.  Being independently wealthy for the rest of your life would have me retiring too.  

Yeah. I had already spent a lot of time in 2017 and some of 2018 wondering if he would even play again. So I had sort of already dealt with the idea of him not being the Colts QB.

Don't get me wrong...the retirement was still a bit of a shock, given how it happened. But it didn't much to get over it.

Of course back then I also thought they would draft a QB at some point.

But for me, I mostly think of 2012-14 when I think of Luck. That was an incredible time to be a Colts fan and I was lucky enough to be at a point in my life when I could watch all of it, often in-person at LOS.

Just now, indyagent17 said:

My question is why do we have to pull this bandaid off over and over again. I’m tired of hearing about this. This article didn’t change my opinion on what he did and how he did it. Good bye Andrew. Leave us alone!

Holder has been trying to get this story for a while and Luck finally gave it to him.  I was over hearing and talking about Andrew the last few seasons too lol.  Hes not going to come back and never was

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I have stayed out of this thread mostly, but I believe there is an excerpt from this article that heavily implies there were multiple aspects of being an NFL QB that he didn't relish.

The archive link is broken now, so I am going by memory...but I believe having to be in control of everything was a big one.

Yeah, no telling about how many personality traits came together that drove him to quit.  I wouldn't think there would be so much push back on the idea since it was pretty much discussed in his college scouting report that his personality make up was not the usual football player type typically seen.  Seems like events show that the profile was a reasonably good assessment...not that anybody predicted a short career.

That was a tough read, in my opinion. You can feel his emotions and the weight on his shoulders. I feel for him. After rehabbing injury after injury and your body still not being 100% right, putting a lot of emotional and physical stress on himself and his wife. His marriage was rocky due to his dark spot and was creating a lot of communication issues and moodiness. I understand it, I really do. Basically, come to the hard decision that will benefit yourself and your marriage or potentially lose it all. The anti-Tom Brady, if you will. I completely understand his decision to step away from football. He does talk about how he regrets the timing of his retirement. I think we as fans need to give him some more slack.

I came across this a few minutes ago. Kind of ties the andrew luck stuff in a little. It’s about why rams went after baker on waiver wire. And how much longer Stafford will keep playing. Rams are being smart and kind of looking for some insurance in case Stafford does retire soon. Colts should have saw the luck thing coming and didn’t get insurance.

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

That was a tough read, in my opinion. You can feel his emotions and the weight on his shoulders. I feel for him. After rehabbing injury after injury and your body still not being 100% right, putting a lot of emotional and physical stress on himself and his wife. His marriage was rocky due to his dark spot and was creating a lot of communication issues and moodiness. I understand it, I really do. Basically, come to the hard decision that will benefit yourself and your marriage or potentially lose it all. The anti-Tom Brady, if you will. I completely understand his decision to step away from football. He does talk about how he regrets the timing of his retirement. I think we as fans need to give him some more slack.

Jake query had a tweet yesterday that said luck retired so he didn’t become Brady. Made sense.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think that’s fair.  That’s why I was trying to be clear I wasn’t painting you with that brush.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

No, thinking that Andrew did not have pain and lying about it is not the basis of "between is ears".  Its the idea that Andrew still thinks something is wrong with his body, when there is no clinical support for it.

What it means is this...and the article confirms....that Andrew sought multiple doctors to uncover what was still  "wrong" with his shoulder because he was having lingering pain.   He did not believe the first, or the second, or the third who had "theories" but found nothing....but then went to Europe. (And to this day, corroborated by the article that has yet to reveal any medical condition for the reported pain),

By this time, his friend the trainer tells him to go to Europe to "get away from football".  Not to do something tangible like get a 4th medical diagnosis.  Not a tangible solution...but a MENTAL solution.  Get away from it.

Sounds to me like the trainer also realized that Andrews extended rehab....missing a second full season...was indeed because of what was going on between his ears.   Irsay was right...evidence suggests that it WAS between his ears.....but that doesn't mean that Andrew was lying about pain or that he didn't think he still had an injury.

Oh, Dear God….     Please make it stop.  

The trainer sent Luck to Europe to work with a specialist.  Not to see European football.   The comment about getting away from football was to get away from the doctors who were telling Luck he should be better an will get better when Luck was NOT improving.  Luck needed a new voice, a new approach to his physical health.   Traditional medicine was NOT working.   

This viewpoint is yet the latest case of badly over thinking. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, Dear God….     Please make it stop.  

The trainer sent Luck to Europe to work with a specialist.  Not to see European football.   The comment about getting away from football was to get away from the doctors who were telling Luck he should be better an will get better when Luck was NOT improving.  Luck needed a new voice, a new approach to his physical health.   Traditional medicine was NOT working.   

This viewpoint is yet the latest case of badly over thinking. 

LOL. 

From what I read here, the trainer told him to go to Europe to get away from football.  Not to see European football.  Get away from the obsession of the rehab and the same routine.

If you are lecturing me about being wrong about something, then educate us about what Luck did while in Europe.  What was the new approach?  What was different than what he was doing here?   Has he ever disclosed those meaningful and corroborating facts...after having about 5 years to talk about it as a civilian?  Did the author of the article ask any of these unanswered questions?  

Did the European doctor find out the clinical reason he was still having pain...what was it?

Based upon my remembering that nobody knows what he did in Europe, I think you'd have some Breaking News.

I always assumed Luck went over to Europe to get some better HGH therapy under different specialists and hid behind the shield of different disclosure rules and an Atlantic Ocean of distance so nobody would know.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

LOL. 

From what I read here, the trainer told him to go to Europe to get away from football.  Not to see European football.  Get away from the obsession of the rehab and the same routine.

If you are lecturing me about being wrong about something, then educate us about what Luck did while in Europe.  What was the new approach?  What was different than what he was doing here?   Has he ever disclosed those meaningful and corroborating facts...after having about 5 years to talk about it as a civilian?  Did the author of the article ask any of these unanswered questions?  

Did the European doctor find out the clinical reason he was still having pain...what was it?

Based upon my remembering that nobody knows what he did in Europe, I think you'd have some Breaking News.

I always assumed Luck went over to Europe to get some better HGH therapy under different specialists and hid behind the shield of different disclosure rules and an Atlantic Ocean of distance so nobody would know.  

Let me try to address your questions in good faith. (I'd like to point out that several people are responding to you in a certain tone because you're coming off as stubborn and willfully ignorant. But maybe we can just reset.)

After the shoulder surgery in January 2017, the shoulder injury was successfully repaired, but the shoulder was still weak. His trainer from the Netherlands, Willem Kramer, says his muscles weren't firing. Not a technical term, but that's how it was described. He still had pain in the shoulder during regular daily activities, not to mention trying to throw.

Midway through the season, Luck, Ballard, and team doctors, consulted with other surgeons. They all recommended another operation. His initial surgeon from Stanford, Dr. Safran, told him he needed to give himself more time. None of this was satisfactory to Luck. He asked Kramer to visit him in Indy again, but Kramer told him no. Kramer said Luck needed a new environment, with less pressure, and convinced him to go to his training facility in Holland. Luck convinced the team of his plan, Irsay had him flown out there on his jet, and Luck spent six weeks working with Kramer. They took a different approach to his physical therapy, starting from the ground up, helping him rebuild his shoulder. Some of the exercises they did are described in the article. Luck also had some work with a therapist, and reconnected with his wife emotionally; those elements are also described in the article.

After Luck came back from Holland, he started working with Tom House to rebuild his throwing motion. This was also a ground up process. It wasn't until months later, sometime after April 2018, that Luck started actually throwing, and even then it wasn't throwing footballs, but smaller balls. (This is part of House's process, you can see videos on Youtube. He starts with small towels, then tiny balls, and works his way up.) But finally, Luck was able to go through the throwing motion without pain in his shoulder. He returned to play in the 2018 season, and we saw the rest.

There's nothing in there about Luck going to Europe for disallowed treatments, nothing about another operation, nothing scandalous at all. He got away from the pressure-filled situation in Indy, and worked with a trainer who helped him work on his shoulder in a different way, and that time helped him, physically and emotionally. And that's kind of it. There's no earth-shattering news in there. (You're not alone in wondering about that stuff. I wondered if he did a PRP treatment; I already said I had wondered if he had an issue with pain killers. But this article puts those ideas to bed, for me.)

It seems like you're looking for a huge revelation. Did they figure out why he was still having pain? Not really, that's not always how pain works. (I'm inferring that he was probably over-doing his physical therapy, maybe had some scarring that limited his mobility, and he needed to back off and rebuild some of his supporting muscles to allow his shoulder to work properly, but that's just my deduction.) Did he do something radical or go on a walkabout or get high or something? Not really, he just took some time to figure things out, and it helped him and his wife re-establish themselves. 

You would understand the tone and flavor of this experience if you would read the article. But instead, you're discussing a situation with people whose understanding is now informed by some insights in this article, and you're doing it from an uninformed position. And you're redirecting to things that seem off topic and irrelevant to people who have the benefit of the insights in this article. 

And I'm just saying, if you are going to discuss this topic extensively, do yourself a favor and take the time to read the article and digest it, and then come back to this discussion. Otherwise, you're going to be way off track.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts should have saw the luck thing coming and didn’t get insurance.

The Colts had Jacoby Brissett, who was a really good backup QB. He still is. I'd rather have Brissett than Baker Mayfield. You were all about Brissett in the first half of 2019, right?

Stop being so critical of past decisions when you have the benefit of hindsight. The reality is there's no soft landing when you lose your 29 year old franchise QB two weeks before the season starts. There's no level of preparation that is going to allow you to weather that circumstance. The Colts actually did pretty well in 2019, given how things went down. It's what they did in the following offseasons that they should be judged by.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts had Jacoby Brissett, who was a really good backup QB. He still is. I'd rather have Brissett than Baker Mayfield. You were all about Brissett in the first half of 2019, right?

Stop being so critical of past decisions when you have the benefit of hindsight. The reality is there's no soft landing when you lose your 29 year old franchise QB two weeks before the season starts. There's no level of preparation that is going to allow you to weather that circumstance. The Colts actually did pretty well in 2019, given how things went down. It's what they did in the following offseasons that they should be judged by.

We had no choice with Jacoby. You try to support who is here. Plus he was kind of unknown outside his rookie year. Part of being a good GM is also weighing things that could happen in the future.

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

City not really

fans sure but fans were never entitled to seeing him play.  Also, the vast majority of people in the world would pick family over fans.

Colts yes and he said he regrets that.  He said it’s his biggest regret of his career.  He can’t do it over so all he can do is say he regrets it snd wishes it went down a different way which he did here.  

I get all that and understand. I do not fault him there. The timing alone doesn’t bother that much. It’s when that’s combined with his own words AND actions in the very pregame warm ups and interviews he gave. He’s throwing balls in front of fans and cameras . He gave an interview stating that he was hopeful to be ready the following week. Then 25 minutes later a tweet goes out that he’s retiring. No, he mislead fans, he mislead the world on his intentions. Nothing he ever says nor anyone else for that matter will ever convince me that in the 25 minutes between his last warm up pass and that tweet that he suddenly decided to retire.  It is for that reason alone I hope he never sniffs the Ring of Honor. He lost all that when he pulled that stunt

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I’m gonna eat some crow here. I was all for letting Jacoby go. Man In hindsight, I was wrong. Should have kept him. Even as a starter. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’m gonna eat some crow here. I was all for letting Jacoby go. Man In hindsight, I was wrong. Should have kept him. Even as a starter. 

i was a big Brissett fan. won't ever forget that pass out of his own endzone when the guy was hanging on by his handwarmer and he rolled out right and hit TY on the sidleine.  insane play. 

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

i was a big Brissett fan. won't ever forget that pass out of his own endzone when the guy was hanging on by his handwarmer and he rolled out right and hit TY on the sidleine.  insane play. 

What people  forget about that season is how many games Vinny lost for this team. That was a playoff team. Then having missed that dolphins game with his knee and we never got the mojo back we had those first 7 games.

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thank you for sharing that. He still loves football, and he seems genuinely happy. He might be done playing QB but he’s definitely not finished with football. We’ll see him again at some point in some capacity, I truly believe that.

And I’m going to leave it at that. I won’t bother you guys anymore with this stuff. I’ve got the closure. In fact, I’m going to take a page out of his book and step away from this forum more often, and focus on what truly matters. God bless all of you guys, and see you around. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Let me try to address your questions in good faith. (I'd like to point out that several people are responding to you in a certain tone because you're coming off as stubborn and willfully ignorant. But maybe we can just reset.)

After the shoulder surgery in January 2017, the shoulder injury was successfully repaired, but the shoulder was still weak. His trainer from the Netherlands, Willem Kramer, says his muscles weren't firing. Not a technical term, but that's how it was described. He still had pain in the shoulder during regular daily activities, not to mention trying to throw.

Midway through the season, Luck, Ballard, and team doctors, consulted with other surgeons. They all recommended another operation. His initial surgeon from Stanford, Dr. Safran, told him he needed to give himself more time. None of this was satisfactory to Luck. He asked Kramer to visit him in Indy again, but Kramer told him no. Kramer said Luck needed a new environment, with less pressure, and convinced him to go to his training facility in Holland. Luck convinced the team of his plan, Irsay had him flown out there on his jet, and Luck spent six weeks working with Kramer. They took a different approach to his physical therapy, starting from the ground up, helping him rebuild his shoulder. Some of the exercises they did are described in the article. Luck also had some work with a therapist, and reconnected with his wife emotionally; those elements are also described in the article.

After Luck came back from Holland, he started working with Tom House to rebuild his throwing motion. This was also a ground up process. It wasn't until months later, sometime after April 2018, that Luck started actually throwing, and even then it wasn't throwing footballs, but smaller balls. (This is part of House's process, you can see videos on Youtube. He starts with small towels, then tiny balls, and works his way up.) But finally, Luck was able to go through the throwing motion without pain in his shoulder. He returned to play in the 2018 season, and we saw the rest.

There's nothing in there about Luck going to Europe for disallowed treatments, nothing about another operation, nothing scandalous at all. He got away from the pressure-filled situation in Indy, and worked with a trainer who helped him work on his shoulder in a different way, and that time helped him, physically and emotionally. And that's kind of it. There's no earth-shattering news in there. (You're not alone in wondering about that stuff. I wondered if he did a PRP treatment; I already said I had wondered if he had an issue with pain killers. But this article puts those ideas to bed, for me.)

It seems like you're looking for a huge revelation. Did they figure out why he was still having pain? Not really, that's not always how pain works. (I'm inferring that he was probably over-doing his physical therapy, maybe had some scarring that limited his mobility, and he needed to back off and rebuild some of his supporting muscles to allow his shoulder to work properly, but that's just my deduction.) Did he do something radical or go on a walkabout or get high or something? Not really, he just took some time to figure things out, and it helped him and his wife re-establish themselves. 

You would understand the tone and flavor of this experience if you would read the article. But instead, you're discussing a situation with people whose understanding is now informed by some insights in this article, and you're doing it from an uninformed position. And you're redirecting to things that seem off topic and irrelevant to people who have the benefit of the insights in this article. 

And I'm just saying, if you are going to discuss this topic extensively, do yourself a favor and take the time to read the article and digest it, and then come back to this discussion. Otherwise, you're going to be way off track.

Thank you x1000.    Appreciate your effort. 

:worthy:

Archived