Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck talks about why he walked away

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. His personality and OCD traits were the main downfall. A lot of QB would have handled the pressure. He just had those traits that wouldn’t let him. The. When he did get United the worst of those traits came out.

I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. The expectations placed on him were unrealistic and unsustainable. The article mentions that for the first half of his career he was able to handle the pressure well. Andrew isn’t the first to have issues like this. In fact the Colts message on fighting the stigma may have some relation to the fact that he didn’t get the emotional support he needed. You can’t expect every QB to be like Manning. Take a look at David Carr’s story for example. Young QBs need support and structure to develop. Both Luck and the organization played a part in his early retirement. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Towards the end I had a really bad feeling he was going to retire young  like his father did, sounds like pretty much for the same reasons, although Oliver had been relegated to back up duties when he retired. Not stoked about how he did it and the money he took with him, but he admitted he regrets the timing.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

One of the biggest takeaways from the article was that the pressure was too much. It was something many had talked about: how does one take over and lead a franchise after Peyton Manning. Andrew had the hunger, but what he didn’t have was the expectation to be himself. He’s not the guy to go into the GMs office and make demands. In hindsight, maybe having so much success so early from high school to college to the NFL caused the pressure to mount in such a way that he had no idea how to release it. 

IDK.. lots of QBs take over for good/great/elite QB. And lots of players fight through multiple years of injuries.

Too me, it's about hunger. Some persevere, some don't. Some aren't born with options to do whatever they want. 

He comes off as a guy that is still unsure about what he wants to do when he grows up.

To much of a "thinker", and too many options...

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I thought from the beginning this was the case and it wasn’t the actual injury. Fans didn’t want to hear  that and blasted other fans for that. 

After that KC loss there was a story written and the theme at the end was how at peace he was. What that person that wrote the article didn’t know how that was basically foreshadowing his retirement.

He had struggled with whether or not he has actually wanted to be a professional football player. Period. 

Probably shortly after his rookie year, when he got a full taste of the role.

Others make it sound like he realized some epiphany during the summer when he decided to step away from the game because of injuries.  Uh, no.

Just now, RollerColt said:

I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. The expectations placed on him were unrealistic and unsustainable. The article mentions that for the first half of his career he was able to handle the pressure well. Andrew isn’t the first to have issues like this. In fact the Colts message on fighting the stigma may have some relation to the fact that he didn’t get the emotional support he needed. You can’t expect every QB to be like Manning. Take a look at David Carr’s story for example. Young QBs need support and structure to develop. Both Luck and the organization played a part in his early retirement. 

Every franchise QB has those expectations. Some handle it better then others. You are probably right that colts didn’t offer enough emotional mental health guidance. But even when he did get therapy those traits came back or maybe the therapy taught him more about how he is more then a QB. 

When he has a lot of opinions on his ankle and no one could find anything that says a lot about his mental state.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

He has struggled with whether or not he has wanted to actually be a professional football player. Period. 

...probably at some pint during or after his rookie year, if not shortly after being drafted.

Others make it sound like he realized some epiphany during the summer when he decided to step away from the game because if injuries.  Uh, no.

People on Reddit are joking and saying blame the therapist but that is such a bad attitude. He needed help. 

Its hast sad how many other careers  players, coach, and GM were affected by this. 

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Any valid medical reason for such an important situation for the NFL would have been public info at the time, I mean unless it directly violated HPPA, so Andrew would have to disclose it if he wanted people to know.

So it sounds kinda like the weird leg injury that was the catalyst for the retirement.  He reports constant pain, but the doctors that kept examining him didn't know why.   But if they did find out, Andrew has still not told us the medical reason that he was in pain.

Thanks.  Its kinda what I thought all along.   

From what it sounds like, he was never able to truly pinpoint why he was still in pain. But that doesn’t take away or detract his ailments. So many are quick to write him off as mentally weak, but again the article goes over this: his mental and physical toughness may have been what ultimately led him to retiring. He could no longer simply tough it out. His arm and body at one point refused to cooperate despite his desperation to be able to throw. 

I’m in a similar situation. Intense pain in my foot, but doctors have no idea why. Been over a year… it starts to get to you after while…

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Every franchise QB has those expectations. Some handle it better then others. You are probably right that colts didn’t offer enough emotional mental health guidance. But even when he did get therapy those traits came back or maybe the therapy taught him more about how he is more then a QB. 

When he has a lot of opinions on his ankle and no one could find anything that says a lot about his mental state.

But this is coming from an idea that there was some sort of "mental health issue" that needed to be corrected, so that he could then assume the normal role of wanting to lead hundreds of thousands of people into battle with the other million watching to see if you succeed or fail them.  LOL.

What happened is that after experiencing the constant struggle of being an NFL franchise QB conflicting with who he really is as a person, he eventually gained the maturity to stop the struggle himself.

Its not really that difficult to see.  

Good for him, and his family.

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Also in the article.

Three different doctors had three different theories on why he was still in pain after surgery and rehab. It was at that point he went to the trainer who became a very trusted friend, who said go to Europe. 

Sounds like it would be a good idea to read the article, maybe? Especially if you're going to comment extensively on it...

We are in full blown conspiracy theory territory now with this thread. Basically saying Luck‘s shoulder was not actually hurt. It's all in our minds. LOL

Nevermind that Jacoby Brissett came into a game to throw a Hail Mary in place of Luck to end a game. Nevermind that Luck worked with Tom House due to his shoulder. Nevermind that all of the players and coaches have commented on the pain Luck went through during rehab. Nevermind that we saw him throwing tennis balls. Then miniature footballs because he didn't have the shoulder strength to throw a real football. That was all theatre.

Nah. It's all in our heads. 

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We are in full blown conspiracy theory territory now with this thread. Basically saying Luck shoulder was not actually hurt. It's all in our minds. LOL

Nevermind that Jacoby Brissett came into a game to throw a Hail Mary in place of Luck to end a game. Nevermind that Luck worked with Tom House due to his shoulder. Nevermind that all of the players and coaches have commented on the pain Luck went through during rehab Luck. Nevermind that we saw him throwing tennis balls. Then miniature footballs because he didn't have the shoulder strength to throw a real football. That was all theatre.

Or we all could just read the article. Seriously. Everything we need is on the Reddit page. 

10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We are in full blown conspiracy theory territory now with this thread. Basically saying Luck‘s shoulder was not actually hurt. It's all in our minds. LOL

Nevermind that Jacoby Brissett came into a game to throw a Hail Mary in place of Luck to end a game. Nevermind that Luck worked with Tom House due to his shoulder. Nevermind that all of the players and coaches have commented on the pain Luck went through during rehab. Nevermind that we saw him throwing tennis balls. Then miniature footballs because he didn't have the shoulder strength to throw a real football. That was all theatre.

I think it’s the ankle injury that everyone is saying was in his mind not the shoulder. The shoulder was a real thing. But as far as the ankle he almost had what seems to be pspd from all the injuries. The facts doctors couldn’t even find anything wrong says a lot.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But this is coming from an idea that there was some sort of "mental health issue" that needed to be corrected, so that he could then assume the normal role of wanting to lead hundreds of thousands of people into battle with the other million watching to see if you succeed or fail them.  LOL.

What happened is that after experiencing the constant struggle of being an NFL franchise QB conflicting with who he really is as a person, he eventually gained the maturity to stop the struggle himself.

Its not really that difficult to see.  

Good for him, and his family.

A lot of fans still don’t even want to believe this. It’s easier to understand if they just say he had a lot of physical pain that was too rough to play through. But so much more to it. 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s the ankle injury that everyone is saying was in his mind not the shoulder. The shoulder was a real thing. But as far as the ankle he almost had what seems to be pspd from all the injuries. The facts doctors couldn’t even find anything wrong says a lot.

It says a lot that you dismiss the very real effects of chronic pain. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   I don’t know you very well as a poster.    So I don’t know if you’re being serious or facetious.   But this is one of the strangest posts I’ve ever seen here, so I’m kinda stunned.  

if you’re serious, we should probably just agree to disagree. 

Sarcasm. Guy was talking with complete 100% hindsight saying should’ve made a move that at the time would’ve made little sense.   

I wondered for a while, I think openly, whether Luck struggled with pain killers during his recoveries. He spoke about being in a dark place, and not wanting to go back there. The insights in this article have put this theory to rest. I'm glad to have been wrong on that.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sometimes i don’t put words the right way. I think the jist of his story is the effects that those earlier injuries had in his mental health. Then add the pressure of leading a franchise was just too much.

Now that. That I agree with fully. You’re right. It was a culmination it seems from a lot of variables. Good post and summary of the article. 

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A lot of fans still don’t even want to believe this. It’s easier to understand if they just say he had a lot of physical pain that was too rough to play through. But so much more to it. 

Yeah, he could have retired for any reason and I wouldn't be offended by it.   

All I'll say is that I'm happy that Luck was the Colts QB and he gave it his all while on the field. It was fun to watch. I'm excited to see how he'd do as a coach. He might be really great at that.

The only thing I wish he'd done differently was be like Manning/Brady in going down himself on lost plays or throwing the ball away more.It increased their longevity in the league by a ton (Brady also had the benefit of an elite OL most of his career as well, but I digress..)

Taking pride in taking hits as a franchise QB simply isn't smart. That's why I don't fan the same flag that others do regarding Josh Alan. What he does with his tough running is simply unsustainable as a franchise QB

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Unfortunately, it's not just the ankle injury that's being questioned in this thread. If you go to the previous page ( page 5) you can see posts where a certain poster is questioning why it took Luck so long to recover from his shoulder injury, as if there's some grand conspiracy behind it.

51 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Sarcasm. Guy was talking with complete 100% hindsight saying should’ve made a move that at the time would’ve made little sense.   

Thank you.    Appreciate you explaining yourself.   And yes,  I agree this viewpoint is 100 percent hindsight.   

Hey, I’d love nothing more to have gone from Andrew Luck to Josh Allen.  who wouldn’t?!? 

But if Colts fan feel bad about this, think what Cleveland fans think about picking Baker Mayfield,  and Carolina feels about picking Sam Darnold, and even Denver where they picked Bradley Chubb, who was and is a very good player.   Those fans all think what their team might have been if only they had picked Josh Allen……

16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Unfortunately, it's not just the ankle injury that's being questioned in this thread. If you go to the previous page ( page 5) you can see posts where a certain poster is questioning why it took Luck so long to recover from his shoulder injury, as if there's some grand conspiracy behind it.

It’s just supports that some people value their opinion more than facts.  I mean this reporter got the story straight from Luck and some still don’t believe it because it’s not what they want to be/think is true.  

24 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

No.  With medical privacy laws, the reason we do not know the medical reason that Andrew experienced constant pain is because he did not want to tell anybody the medical reason he was experiencing constant pain.  If you assume that fact is brought up to invite a conspiracy theory, that's on you.  

The fact is, if he wanted anybody to know, we would know.

Either he doesn't want to say, or he can't say because nobody ever found a medical reason for it.  Those appear to be the only two possible facts as to why nobody in the world has yet to know what took so long (and as to why the "ankle" injury lingered so long).  Sorry if your logical thoughts are now starting to conflict with your previous beliefs, but its not my "conspiracy" you should be blaming. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  With medical privacy laws, the reason we do not know the medical reason that Andrew experienced constant pain is because he did not want to tell anybody the medical reason he was experiencing constant pain.  If you assume that fact is brought up to invite a conspiracy theory, that's on you.  

The fact is, if he wanted anybody to know, we would know.

Either he doesn't want to say, or he can't say because nobody ever found a medical reason for it.  Those appear to be the only two possible facts as to why nobody in the world has yet to know what took so long.  Sorry if your logical thoughts are now starting to conflict with your previous beliefs, but its not my "conspiracy" you should be blaming. 

So what’s your point? Because we aren’t privy to the exact medical term for his shoulder injury, it never occurred?

23 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

So what’s your point? Because we aren’t privy to the exact medical term for his shoulder injury, it never occurred?

My post said we should not believe he had a shoulder injury? 

My point is what I said.   We don't know what caused the lingering pain after the surgery because he won't tell us. 

I assume that since he told us the first medical fact about the shoulder surgery, that the reason he didn't tell us about the second medical fact behind the lingering pain is because there was no medical fact to disclose.  Who knows why he chooses to treat the second half of the shoulder injury different than the first, but it seems that he did.   What do you think, that there is some conspiracy on his part?

Its not important for me to know why he's treated them differently.  For that matter, I'm not invested in the opinion that he's an honest guy.  He may or may not be. I don't care.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My post said we should not believe he had a shoulder injury? 

My point is what I said.   We don't know what caused the lingering pain after the surgery because he won't tell us. 

I assume that since he told us the first medical fact about the shoulder surgery, that the reason he didn't tell us about the second medical fact behind the lingering pain is because there was no medical fact to disclose.  What do you think, that there is some conspiracy on his part?    Who knows why he chooses to treat the second half of the shoulder injury different than the first.  

Its not important for me to know why he's treated them differently, but he has.  For that matter, I'm not invested in the opinion that he's an honest guy.  He may or may not be. I don't care.

So you’re doubting the lingering pain?

And that means what?

16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

So you’re doubting the lingering pain?

And that means what?

I haven't really thought about that.  It doesn't matter to me if he did or not.  

I'm pointing out that he freely disclosed the shoulder injury...the medical fact behind the surgery...but has not disclosed the medical fact that caused the lingering pain, which extended his rehab. 

I'm pointing that out because it seems important for some to believe, or have me and others believe, he retired because pain and injuries just beat the living football love out of him.   So they portray things as facts when there is no corroborations of his words on that issue.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I haven't really thought about that.  It doesn't matter to me if he did or not.  

I'm pointing out that he freely disclosed the shoulder injury...the medical fact behind the surgery...but has not disclosed the medical fact that caused the lingering pain, which extended his rehab. 

I'm pointing that out because it seems important for some to believe, or have me and others believe, he retired because pain and injuries just beat the living football love out of him.   So they portray things as facts when there is no corroborations of his words on that issue.

So you haven’t read the article then?

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

we wanted another peyton, the pressure was too much for him imo

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Some people have both the heart and mind of a warrior, some people have neither and some people have one or the other. Luck fits in there somewhere, but it sure isn’t both. And there’s nothing wrong with that. He chose his family, good for him.

he also screwed over the colts, fans and city with his timing. He and he alone chose that timing.  

City not really

fans sure but fans were never entitled to seeing him play.  Also, the vast majority of people in the world would pick family over fans.

Colts yes and he said he regrets that.  He said it’s his biggest regret of his career.  He can’t do it over so all he can do is say he regrets it snd wishes it went down a different way which he did here.  

20 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

So you haven’t read the article then?

Does the article refer to more of a medical reason for the lingering pain than what this poster typed?

Also in the article.

Three different doctors had three different theories on why he was still in pain after surgery and rehab. It was at that point he went to the trainer who became a very trusted friend, who said go to Europe. 

From what it sounds like, he was never able to truly pinpoint why he was still in pain.

So its safe to say that there has never been a medical reason disclosed for why he had the lingering pain that extended his rehab?  IOW, what I said was right, he didn't disclose a medical reason because there was never a medical reason found. 

And from this you are accusing me of having a conspiracy theory about whether or not he had a shoulder injury.  

Archived